Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

muscles like this! posted:

My attempt to do a Mission Impossible watch through has been derailed as for some reason Mission Impossible 3 is only available to stream if you have a Showtime subscription.

Physical media ain't going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Physical media ain't going away.

I mean you can rent it on Amazon for like three bucks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s super cheap to rent on prime right now. 1.99

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MI3 might be my favorite too, so I wouldn't skip that one. In fairness it was the one that got me back in as I presumed I didn't care about the series at all as I didn't like the first or anything I saw of the second. I just presumed it kept going along like those and didn't realize how wrong I was.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah the ads for it basically just kept showing footage from the very end of the movie where he's taping the bottles to his hands.

The Grey has one of my favorite endings in a movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I wish we got a few movies a year as pleasantly stupid as The Saint

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MI:1 is so loving good. It really holds up and has style for days. Also the climactic train scene is so loving cool come on.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shageletic posted:

MI:1 is so loving good. It really holds up and has style for days. Also the climactic train scene is so loving cool come on.

It’s pretty impressive how almost every MI movie thus far has managed to be awesome. Even 2 has a guilty pleasure quality to it.

The original drips with style, and yeah the climax is extremely hype.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like 1 a lot, and it's fun to watch the series evolve over time--personally I prefer 5 to 4 but the latter was what established the modern MI style

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why did they make the protagonist of the tv show evil in the movie?? I hope they make Tom Cruise evil in the last movie so Johnny Come Lately "fans" who have never seen the show feel the pain the og fans felt in 1996.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The OG fans will be dead by then so who really cares lmao

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Mantis42 posted:

Why did they make the protagonist of the tv show evil in the movie?? I hope they make Tom Cruise evil in the last movie so Johnny Come Lately "fans" who have never seen the show feel the pain the og fans felt in 1996.

That would be very cool, but given the tongue bath that Fallout gave Ethan Hunt I'm not hold my breath.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

man nurse posted:

It’s pretty impressive how almost every MI movie thus far has managed to be awesome. Even 2 has a guilty pleasure quality to it.

The original drips with style, and yeah the climax is extremely hype.

2 is definitely the odd man out, it doesn't do the proper opening, goes really over the top with masks which the other movies mostly avoid and there's a LOT of gunplay.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
A lot of awesome gunplay

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I love 2, I think 3 was the only one I wasn't crazy about.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
J.J. Abrams did 3 right? It was actually my first MI movie (which I saw in theaters), and it felt like a movie-length action thriller TV series episode (not that that's bad, but it certainly didn't blow me away or anything)

Mantis42 posted:

I think it's because Cruise bought the franchise and inserted himself his original character who is awesome at everything (but especially running) needed someone to fight and who better than the recurring character from the TV series to signify the changing of the guard? Basically his ego is humongous

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mantis42 posted:

<--- Several of my avs have featured Peter Graves in Jim Phelps mode, so even though I really like MI:1 as a movie, Phelps being the villain still kinda rankles. I just have to dismiss it as "It's not the real Jim Phelps, he retired in 1989 and this shorter, fatter, younger guy took over his identity." (I'm just glad the original cast told the filmmakers to get lost when they proposed bringing back the rest of the TV team like Rollin and Barney only to kill them all off at the start.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the smartest thing 3 did for the franchise was giving Ethan a set love interest so they can just skip that part of the movie going forward.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Sounds good! I haven't seen a new Japanese movie in a while. Did love those early 2000s gems with Tak like Versus and Azumi. Based on a manga I see, the premise is right up my alley. Like GTO or something.

Japanese films are definitely super unique, I don't like it when it becomes too whacky but Japanese action movies can do such cool action. They really know how to make a normal dude look/feel like a one man army. Like how The Equalizer protrays Denzel or John Wick protrays Keanu, that's basically most Japanese action movies. The main character is usually god ala Valhala Rising.

All the hype for this thread made me want to check RRR, I'll be watching that tonight.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I love 2, I think 3 was the only one I wasn't crazy about.

I just might agree 100%. After my friends and i saw 2 in theaters, we literally ran around the parking lot hooting and jumping around like idiots because we were so jacked up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I rewatched 2 a bit ago thinking that it was going to be bad but it's actually pretty good. The mask stuff gets a little ridiculous and there's some overwrought plots but all-in-all it's a decent Woo Zone Experience. Two decades of the internet making GBS threads on it had colored my opinion negative a bit too much.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

2 is fine if you’re jumping around or have it on in the background but the middle hour or so is just deadly boring

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'll jump on the 2 is one of the best train here. John Woo folks.

Also, this is gonna sound out there, but it amused me that Tenet had so much in common with MI2 in plot. Cool agent works with the girlfriend who is in a bad relationship with the villain guy, and stuff like that. But Tenet did seem like it was I guess some kind of pastiche of spy movie tropes as its background.

I also think MI2 is the better movie. Nolan does often rule though, especially back in the day. Just with those scenes of the villain and his put-upon girlfriend etc, and how surface level it seemed, I just felt it was funny that this artisanal concept action film to me was a lesser MI2. And they'll lock me up if I say it out loud.

I feel like MI2 had more influence than it seemed on a good bit of stuff. The hero injecting himself with a weapon thing, the dynamic of the characters, elements like that. Plus it was just in vogue to make fun of over-the-top stylish stuff of that time. Its quirks give it more unique charm I think. Plus I just love Woo. 1 is my second fav. I enjoy the run of 4, 5, 6 but a little less each time. Still fun popcorn romps though.

Also, the assassination attempt at a concert thing was a lot more memorable in The Living Daylights than in that MI movie for example. But overall I'm a bigger Bond fan than MI, but tough to top such a Godzilla-esque historic run.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 20, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still stand by MI3 as the best, just a fantastic standalone action film...mostly just cuz of PSH (RIP :() being amazing and imo the superior direction/structure of the plot and (as a whole it's got a stronger ensemble than the rest of the series to follow, until Cavill showed up really...including Lawrence Fishburne...Renner adding nothing). I like it as a bridge between the first two and the Late Fast & Furious vibe the series would later take on. I actually liked that 3 delved into dark melodrama and like, still pretended to have a plot. I get that all the cool REAL STUNTS that Tom Cruise would do make a lot of the sequels for people, but I'm not watching Jackass...I want cool real stunts AND a melodramatic plot with a well-acted villain (who isnt just SCANDINAVIANS WANT TO NUKE THE WORLD for the billionth time). The ones that just ended up being a blur of TOM CRUISE CLIMB BUILDING/PLANE IN FLIGHT, NOW WITH QUIPS!!!!! just didnt do it for me.
Honestly for my sensibilities the series didn't really start picking up again post-MI3 until Rogue Nation and Fallout.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
MI3 had a sense of menace & danger that was entirely cuz of Phillip Seymour Hoffman and was never really matched again. The newest one was a return to form for me just because it finally had dope villains again...dont get me wrong, Sean Harris is a good actor, but he really wasn't doing it for me carrying the lead villain role for so long (especially because, again, the whole ANARCHISTS WANT TO NUKE THE WORLD SO IT IS REBORN plotline was so tired for me)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MI3 was a fun movie but I found Keri Russell's death to be so horrifying for some reason that it gives me pause to rewatch it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

MI 3 kicks super rear end and especially because of the villain. That was definitely 4’s weak link. I don’t remember much of 5 other than I enjoyed it, but I was also really drunk. Haven’t seen 6 yet but by all accounts it’s an awesome action movie. Gonna watch it before the new one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

5 + 6 and unofficial trilogy member Jack Reacher all rule

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I had a lot of fun with Fallout esp if you think a lil bit about the plot what's funny about the Cavill twist is that I guess it means this terrorist mastermind was also a complete dipshit who would have gotten himself immediately killed on his super secret operation because he decided it'd be badass to jump during a lightning storm. 🤣 Like, if Hunt doesn't get him in time I guess there's just no movie.

And yeah I love the first Jack Reacher. Surprisingly not that Tom Clancy-y like I feared, actually kinda cynical about the War on Terror....and any movie where Werner Herzog gives motivational speeches about cannibalism, Jai Courtney basically has no lines and gets beaten to death, and Robert Duvall is basically Zatoichi...well, that's a win.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 21, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GrandpaPants posted:

MI3 was a fun movie but I found Keri Russell's death to be so horrifying for some reason that it gives me pause to rewatch it.

It’s really hosed up and what’s made even worse is they cut to her gruesome corpse like 4 times in the film. I don’t get it. Showing the POP was enough. But then it cuts to her. And two more times and then one final time as she’s zipped up….what the heck abrams

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The ones that just ended up being a blur of TOM CRUISE CLIMB BUILDING/PLANE IN FLIGHT, NOW WITH QUIPS!!!!! just didnt do it for me.

This is how I feel. I love that there's still a major A list player in Hollywood doing real world stunts and I can't take away how incredible they are, but they're not the parts that impress me. Sure, Cruise climbing insane mountains, leaping over tall buildings and literally clinging to the side of a loving plane is mind blowing, but you know what impressed me the most? That scene where he escapes from being tied to a post by showing ridiculous core strength and effortlessly kicking his way up and over it. THAT scene made me say "holy poo poo!" more than whatever canyon jumping madness he's doing now.

Also, the only villain I remember is MI:3 because PSH was genuinely scary

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 22, 2022

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched Dirty Harry last night and maybe I'm reading too optimistically but the whole thing felt like a joke that Clint Eastwood wasn't in on.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Roth posted:

I watched Dirty Harry last night and maybe I'm reading too optimistically but the whole thing felt like a joke that Clint Eastwood wasn't in on.

I always felt like he was in on the joke (or at least that he knew the main character was in fact the villain if the movie), but each of the sequels makes that a more difficult interpretation to hold on to.

Related to Indian movie chat from a few pages ago, there was a Dirty Harry remake made in 1973 called Khoon Khoon. It was on netflix for a while, maybe still. The difference is that the main character is Clean as hell and has a comic buffoon sidekick. Also the tense kidnapped kids sequence on the bus is now a dance sequence. It is a fascinating document.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If Harry's the villain, what's the serial killer who kidnaps a busful of children?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Why is everyone supposed to be afraid of Fat Andy Dick in MI:3? Is it because he's like a husky inverse of Tom Cruise?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

brocked posted:

Why is everyone supposed to be afraid of Fat Andy Dick in MI:3? Is it because he's like a husky inverse of Tom Cruise?

Aside from this being stupid, if you think PSH looks like fat Andy Dick you should see a physician about your face blindness.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm going to refer to all actors in relation to Andy Dick from now on.

Paul Giamatti? Balding Andy Dick.
Chris Hemsworth? Jacked Andy Dick.
Tessa Thompson? WoC Andy Dick

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heavy Metal posted:

I feel like MI2 had more influence than it seemed on a good bit of stuff. The hero injecting himself with a weapon

This ... doesn't happen in M:I 2.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think MI3 is absolutely the worst movie in the series, tv level direction, PSH felt completely one note and uninteresting to me and giving Ethan a wife between movies absolutely did not work, there were below zero levels of chemistry and believably with that relationship

Oddly enough Julia does work in the later movies, which just reinforces the idea that you can bring in JJ Abrams as a pinch hitter to cast some people and do setup on your franchise as long as you absolutely make sure you do not let him touch it again as others will make better things with the pieces he puts in place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Aside from this being stupid, if you think PSH looks like fat Andy Dick you should see a physician about your face blindness.

Not looks like, it's that one-note oily voice and demeanor

It really works for him in stuff like Doubt and the Master