Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Having a house also requires you to stay subbed or you'll lose it so it's not the best for people who want to play in bursts without paying the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Edit: Wait, is Summoner a proper class?
I should start as Archanist first? I'm a little confused on how that works out.

I do think it's worth mentioning that SMN is the simplest dps job in the game by a significant margin. Very easy rotation, ranged, almost no cast bars. This isn't a good or bad thing, just keep it in mind based on your preferences.

MNK by comparison is one of the tougher jobs. Pretty fast paced with a lot of quick decision-making.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well... I bought Endwalker.

Pray for me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Pray for me.

Well that was fast

Though the expac races are tempting

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Pray for me.

drat son just diving right in not even bothering with the free trial

respect

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just know if I don't have all the character gen options from the start, I'm gonna regret it even if I don't use the bonus stuff.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"I want to make a Viera/Hrothgar" is one of the more reasonable reasons to buy the game before you start. Have fun with chargen!

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Inzombiac posted:

I just know if I don't have all the character gen options from the start, I'm gonna regret it even if I don't use the bonus stuff.

Sounds like it's too late to mention this, but you do get one free character race/appearance change item from playing through the main story (they're called Fantasias). OTOH plenty of folks get very attached to the character design they use to play through the story at first, so there's a good chance your decision will save you a $10 post-swap change of heart a ways down the line.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Buying the game to begin with does have advantages, such as no Gil or level cap, being able to shout, use the marketboards and join Free Companies. So at the very least they can do stuff he couldn't on the free trial.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

If you tell me there is player housing with decorating I will likely explode.

So will this thread

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Buying the game to begin with does have advantages, such as no Gil or level cap, being able to shout, use the marketboards and join Free Companies. So at the very least they can do stuff he couldn't on the free trial.

Yeah, being able to join a FC and chat with Goons is a big reason as well. I like playing games solo but I don't like feeling alone.

Not a lot of games are good for that, haha.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Today in Stormblood Kheris strikes a blow for every Eorzean, and without having to wait an hour to do it first!

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
The only paid cosmetic item I've bought is the far eastern lady's attire or whatever because it has the only good skirt option in the game.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Hnnnngggggg okay I'm gonna start today!!

another satisfied customer

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Martian Manfucker posted:

The only paid cosmetic item I've bought is the far eastern lady's attire or whatever because it has the only good skirt option in the game.

I've bought several outfits for one or two pieces. I too got the far eastern outfit specifically for the skirt.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only thing better than buying a cash shop mount is.. buying a bunch of cash shop mounts. :shepspends:

Remember kids, the only nod to P2W in the entire game is the slightly higher base travel speed of the Fenrir motorcycle.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh my oh my god I'm in love already

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I am looking forward to this thread gushing over another newbie. If there's one thing that unites us, it's watching someone :getin: for the first time.

Thundarr posted:

The only thing better than buying a cash shop mount is.. buying a bunch of cash shop mounts. :shepspends:

Remember kids, the only nod to P2W in the entire game is the slightly higher base travel speed of the Fenrir motorcycle.

I always feel kind of bad using other mounts because then I'm not travelling with my chocobo buddy. But I guess even he needs a break now and then.

Since I failed to win any of the housing plots I wanted in the last couple of lotteries, however, I blew 10 million gil on Resplendent Feathers and am now cruising in style on my WoW Hippogrpyh Alkonost.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 22, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Does anyone know how to fix this issue with logging in?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
No idea. Was just going to pop on for some roulettes before dinner, but it seems that's not going to be an option.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Inzombiac posted:

What server are you on

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Does anyone know how to fix this issue with logging in?

I checked the subreddit, and it seems like a few people are having problems logging in. Probably just a login server outage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the best way to get going on PotD these days? I’ve done a little bit of it, according to my achievements, but want to get unlocked to 51-60 at least so that I can play with higher levels of jobs and decide if I’m going to like them enough to level.

If I put up a PF will it fill in finite time?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Martian Manfucker posted:

I bought the peacock outfit for the jacket but it clips with everything and I ended up using the skirt in like all my glams since :shrug:

edit: what server are you on? I wouldn't be against helping you unlock stuff in potd if you're on crystal

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Inzombiac posted:

we got another one lads

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I give them a month before they get fed up with the lack of hats and use their free fantasia.

I know I did :sigh:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zeruel posted:

we got another one lads

gently caress yes :getin:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

I give them a month before they get fed up with the lack of hats and use their free fantasia.

I know I did :sigh:

Cat girl squad rise up

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Consummate Professional posted:

Cat girl squad rise up

you can rise up but not as high as giraffe squad :smug:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zeruel posted:

we got another one lads

:sickos:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What server are you on

Primal Excal.

As for lack of hats, I generally turn off hats/helmets in games because I wanna see my pretty lady.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
So starting the story, while it's completely approachable with no foreknowledge, knowing some background is nice, too. Not spoilering this because it happens before the game even starts, contains no spoilers for things revealed later, and going through this story normally now is no longer possible.

First, the opening cinematic to the beginning of the original game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCi1F1OvFSo

Back in 1.0, the game was terrible. There were a few cool things, and not a total lost cause, but yeah, it was terrible. The story can be viewed on Youtube cutscenes if you want, but of course one of the big complaints was that the story was suuuper scarce back then (like a story quest every five levels scarce, instead of "can level entirely through playing the main story" as it is now). Gameplay was also terrible, owing largely to everything, including the user interface, being done on the server side.

Eventually, they brought on a new director and team and everything, and managed to begin turning it around. It was getting better, but was still very, very bogged down with its origins. Magically, they actually managed to convince the bigwigs that since Final Fantasy was such a flagship franchise, having a numbered FF fail would be so bad that it would damage the brand, and so it would be better to take the game down for a bit under a year while they drat near built the thing back up from its skeleton.

And so, in game, there was a red dot in the sky. Every minor patch, this small dot became larger and larger. A story started about how some insane person from the Garlean Empire, a major antagonist in the story, was trying to drop the red moon Dalamud on Eorzea (the main story's continent) to make taking it over super easy. So you go kill that person. Moon is still getting closer. You go on a quest to...I'm a little fuzzy here, but I think pray to twelve stones representing the twelve Eorzean gods which would help to stop the moon from falling.

At this point, the Garlean Empire invades, and a massive event starts in-game. The world is going crazy, empire invading and all which is the game ending event. And as the servers drop, this video plays in everyone's client:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

And cue the game being down for several months. When it starts back up, you're five years after the events of that video.

A Realm Reborn, or 2.0, is very good. There are still some oddities hanging around from 1.0, and the story in 2.0 sometimes feels like it suffers slightly because of how much they were doing in that condensed timeframe, but it's still very good. Once you hit about 2.4 or so, the already high quality jumps way up as they had time to catch their breath.

Btw, when people talk about the story, it's often referred to by number of the patch in which it happened, which is basically (all chronological and connected):

1.0 - Original game, no longer playable
2.0 - A Realm Reborn
2.1-2.5 - Story continuing on from the end of the main A Realm Reborn story.
3.0 - Heavensward expansion base story
3.1-3.5 - Story continuing on from the end of main Heavensward story.
4.0 - Stormblood Expansion
4.1-4.5 - Story continuing on from the end of main Stormblood story.
5.0 - Shadowbringers expansion base story
5.1-5.5 - Story continuing on from the end of main Shadowbringers story.
6.0 - Endwalker expansion main base story
6.1 - We are now here.

Enjoy the ride! ARR and each expansion is essentially a JRPG worth of content each. And ignore the terrible, terrible voice acting. It gets like 98% replaced starting in Heavensward, and all but like 3 people are markedly better for it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

This short documentary series was also really fun to watch to learn more about the early days https://www.noclip.video/final-fantasy-xiv

I played FFXI for a little bit in high school. It sucked! Needed a party for nearly everything. This game is such a major improvement.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Liz girl squad rise up

ftfy

Inzombiac posted:

Primal Excal.

Word of advice, never buy stuff off our market board as the first option if you can help it. Excalibur is an oooold server and the economy is a mess since everyone assumes everyone else is absolutely loaded.

If you click on an aetheryte in any of the three main cities you can travel to other Primal world servers (and soon other US DCs as well), they usually have much less ridiculous prices.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 22, 2022

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Never seen this before. Kinda neat after having just finished all of the ShB role quests.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

If you tell me there is player housing with decorating I will likely explode.

check this out https://en.ff14housing.com/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leraika posted:

edit: what server are you on? I wouldn't be against helping you unlock stuff in potd if you're on crystal

I’m on Excal, alas.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
also share your character name so you can be showered with gifts and fc invites

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I also love this old cutscene that I'll never see to really reinforce how messed up stuff will get post 1.0 https://youtu.be/07Tom0m6vSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Bloody Pom posted:

ftfy

Word of advice, never buy stuff off our market board as the first option if you can help it. Excalibur is an oooold server and the economy is a mess since everyone assumes everyone else is absolutely loaded.

If you click on an aetheryte in any of the three main cities you can travel to other Primal world servers (and soon other US DCs as well), they usually have much less ridiculous prices.

If you are going to be traveling to other servers for the best deals, bookmark this link:

https://universalis.app

It is a website that lists prices for items across all the servers so you can just go to the server with the lowest price.