Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I’m being getfiscal’d right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

https://twitter.com/ChristinaMcMc/status/1539235051853987840

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Tuggy Tug lmao

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ok thank god it’s a bit

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Chamale posted:

The Mongol conquests killed 40 to 60 million people. The British Raj killed somewhere between 600 million and 1.8 billion people.

Where are you getting those kind of numbers from? They seem uh, slightly high.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Tuggy Tug lmao

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Quotey posted:

Also counting the victims of the Finnish/Korean Hyperwar

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Quotey posted:

The Black Book of Rajism.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Quotey posted:

presumably

https://mronline.org/2019/01/15/britain-robbed-india-of-45-trillion-thence-1-8-billion-indians-died-from-deprivation/

idk the website but that article mostly checks out as far as describing the reasoning of utsa patnaik. her methodology does not seem to account for opportunity costs in any sophisticated way, but rather assumes a gradual improvement over the pre-raj state of affairs, i.e. the avoidance of industrial and agricultural capitalism in india. this may be safely described as controversial, but the point is: the british really really hosed over india and mind-boggling numbers of people starved to death or died unnecessarily from illness or war as a result.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

presumably

https://mronline.org/2019/01/15/britain-robbed-india-of-45-trillion-thence-1-8-billion-indians-died-from-deprivation/

idk the website but that article mostly checks out as far as describing the reasoning of utsa patnaik. her methodology does not seem to account for opportunity costs in any sophisticated way, but rather assumes a gradual improvement over the pre-raj state of affairs, i.e. the avoidance of industrial and agricultural capitalism in india. this may be safely described as controversial, but the point is: the british really really hosed over india and mind-boggling numbers of people starved to death or died unnecessarily from illness or war as a result.
Assuming similar birthrates for the period 1700-1950, India is missing about 31 billion person-years over that 250 year period. With a life expectancy of around 25 for most of that period, that is equal to 1.25 billion additional deaths compared to China. Or I guess, equal to 1.25 billion people dying 25 years earlier than they would have under a rule similar to China's.

Turns out the truth truly was in the middle.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

It's an interesting perspective, but I wouldn't take it as gospel. The 45T number is kind of... made up.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Assuming similar birthrates for the period 1700-1950, India is missing about 31 billion person-years over that 250 year period. With a life expectancy of around 25 for most of that period, that is equal to 1.25 billion additional deaths compared to China. Or I guess, equal to 1.25 billion people dying 25 years earlier than they would have under a rule similar to China's.

Turns out the truth truly was in the middle.

Yeah this seems more reasonable once you think about it, if you're fine with calculating things that way. The number just hit that "way too high" trigger. The mongolian one always did too, but I've never looked into it. It seems like a lot of murder over 100 years, but maybe it's using the same methodology?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Quotey posted:

It's an interesting perspective, but I wouldn't take it as gospel. The 45T number is kind of... made up.

Yeah this seems more reasonable once you think about it, if you're fine with calculating things that way. The number just hit that "way too high" trigger. The mongolian one always did too, but I've never looked into it. It seems like a lot of murder over 100 years, but maybe it's using the same methodology?
After having made that calculation, I kind of feel like doing the same for other countries. I'm sure there are several European countries where you could lay the blame for excess deaths in the tens of millions unto Britain.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

I bet if you really stretch it in stupid ways and look at the population growth of Irish disaporas you could have a billion out of Ireland

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Perhaps the British Raj did nothing wrong ever and we should all wuv and kiss them. That might be a more "realistic" reading of the numbers.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I want to hug and kiss the British Raj and feel up it’s titties and rear end because I love it that much

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BenDWalsh/status/1539619038783053824?t=ZYo_eS-PnSfmoU1NwoP3-g&s=19

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And what's more it is shocking to see all the 'pro peace activists' push anti-police rhetoric when our society has no alternative as well resourced as they

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

he's right

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Quotey posted:

systemic deprivation is an extremely cost-efficient way of killing lots of people over a period of several years, and the british had systemic deprivation as official industrial policy in india. the 1,8 billions number is a, ah, high estimate, but the actual number is almost certainly in the nine digits, possibly in bengal alone - the pre-british indian system was fairly robust in the face of famine, and as noted they had a lot of crafted goods to export for cash which they could and did use to import food in times of scarcity as well as a system which wasn't really *healthcare*, but which at least wasn't directly conductive to promoting epidemics etc.

when the british took over, they dismantled local workshops and cottage industries, turned huge parts of india into plantation-based cash-crop monoculture production supported by subsistence farming, centralised administration in urban areas and generally refused to step in when something went wrong. they also deliberately used starvation and displacement as a tactic against restive populations. even if measured against hypothetical local autocracies it was incredibly bad, and most regimes do not get the alternative costs charity when millions of people die on their watch.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

smoking is cool as hell bitch

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

only if we can also do away with other, more harmful things, like driving and having a job

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raiad posted:

only if we can also do away with other, more harmful things, like driving and having a job
this is precisely right. being pro-cigaretes/smoking is like being pro-driving or pro-job, which is anti-leftist too

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Juuls are very, very bad and promoted to children lol

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
lol it's just getting rid of juul to clear the market for competitors

nothing democrats do will ever be for the good of anything but corporations and pretending that they will is ignoring the entirety of their activity for your entire life

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

systemic deprivation is an extremely cost-efficient way of killing lots of people over a period of several years, and the british had systemic deprivation as official industrial policy in india. the 1,8 billions number is a, ah, high estimate, but the actual number is almost certainly in the nine digits, possibly in bengal alone - the pre-british indian system was fairly robust in the face of famine, and as noted they had a lot of crafted goods to export for cash which they could and did use to import food in times of scarcity as well as a system which wasn't really *healthcare*, but which at least wasn't directly conductive to promoting epidemics etc.

when the british took over, they dismantled local workshops and cottage industries, turned huge parts of india into plantation-based cash-crop monoculture production supported by subsistence farming, centralised administration in urban areas and generally refused to step in when something went wrong. they also deliberately used starvation and displacement as a tactic against restive populations. even if measured against hypothetical local autocracies it was incredibly bad, and most regimes do not get the alternative costs charity when millions of people die on their watch.

It was loving crazy in Late Victorian Holocausts where Davis explains that building an extensive and efficient railroad system in India didn't alleviate regional famines by making it possible to swiftly transport food to the afflicted area, but instead enabled price signals to travel faster, thus raising the prices on grains or whichever good was scarce in the given place and further aggravating the famine. And the white administrators would look at the hungry corpses stacked up like firewood and helplessly throw up their hands and go "it's the market whaddayagonnado!!!!!" as they continue to ship huge amounts of pilfered treasure back to old Blighty.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zvahl posted:

lol it's just getting rid of juul to clear the market for competitors

nothing democrats do will ever be for the good of anything but corporations and pretending that they will is ignoring the entirety of their activity for your entire life

now that will be funny if the other puff pens get to stay but I thought they banned hookah pens and poo poo like that already

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

grieving for Gandalf posted:

now that will be funny if the other puff pens get to stay but I thought they banned hookah pens and poo poo like that already

https://www.newsweek.com/fda-juul-ban-explained-why-biden-admin-reportedly-outlawing-e-cigarettes-1718323

that article posted:

The FDA has previously cleared the way for Reynolds American Inc. and NJOY Holdings Inc.—Juul's biggest rivals—to keep tobacco-flavored e-cigarettes on the market, leading industry observers to expect a similar approval for Juul.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yeah that makes sense. it seems like the competitive edge being taken away is the flavor

pretty pissed about menthols

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the scourge of juul lung will soon be vanquished. thank you Joe.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Eating meat on a daily basis is likely worse than vaping for you as an individual and is certainly worse for the continued existence of the human race broadly (climate change etc), but few leftists advocate for the state banning the consumption of animal flesh.

Personally I eat meat and smoke but that is because I have no more hope for the future so :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

Eating meat on a daily basis is likely worse than vaping for you as an individual and is certainly worse for the continued existence of the human race broadly (climate change etc), but few leftists advocate for the state banning the consumption of animal flesh.

Personally I eat meat and smoke but that is because I have no more hope for the future so :shrug:
Even if that's the case, being (ardently) pro-smoking would be the equivalent of being (ardently) pro-eating meat, which is very different from just being accustomed to eating meat and being willing to accept not doing so if a consensus was reached where meat as taken off the table. The pro-meat eater would be trying to fight back against vegetarian/vegan options, trying to impose their desire to eat meat unto a population increasingly deciding not to.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

drat horror queefs posted:

:same:

gently caress it. Smoking is fine and my hot take is it’s a goddamn shame it’s been taxed to the point that only affluent people can really afford it anymore all the while a billion other things that are just as harmful are actively subsidized

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
https://twitter.com/jenny2x4/status/1539468656530407424?t=TXeZoeDPt9qFJO2Cozv-Fg&s=19

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Guess I have to watch it now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's never as good as they say it is though

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You are gonna think this is a bit. But it is not a bit.

https://twitter.com/painter_crypto/status/1503374025745043459

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
frankly the little dog SHOULD be trying to put the fire out!!

https://twitter.com/solidarityaid/status/1539875822294962176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

You are gonna think this is a bit. But it is not a bit.

https://twitter.com/painter_crypto/status/1503374025745043459

more like garbaggio amirite?