Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

man, seeing the gravity falls tweet, i would love to have seen what censor notes were provided to the guys doing the dub for the first season of Dragonball Z.

"please refrain from using the word "halo" to refer to Goku's halo when it disappears after he comes back to life. instead consider using "ring" or something to that effect"

apologies if i asked this before, but didn't naruto end with him fighting basically the God of chakra in the naruto universe? where do you go after THAT?

Deescalation. Then more of the Chakra gods show up anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dead End: Paranormal Park on Netflix is a pretty good show with some great trans representation. Go give it some love.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Apparently we’ll be getting some Kyoshi, Zuko, and Korra related movies in a few years:

https://avatarnews.co/post/687354302251073536/paramount-and-avatar-studios-slate-of-animated

I wouldn’t mind an adaption of the Kyoshi novel at the very least

No telling how good any of these plans will be, but this feels like it has a familiar vibe of a project ballooning wildly in scale before the first bit has even come out, and that's often a recipe for the whole thing to end up crashing between unrealistic expectation, hype backlash, and just being this big huge expensive thing that execs who aren't fully onboard for will just want to cut.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Larryb posted:

Apparently we’ll be getting some Kyoshi, Zuko, and Korra related movies in a few years:

https://avatarnews.co/post/687354302251073536/paramount-and-avatar-studios-slate-of-animated

I wouldn’t mind an adaption of the Kyoshi novel at the very least
Why would they make these movies for theaters and not just straight to streaming? Do they really expect these niche animated films that pretty much require you to have watched the series beforehand not to bomb?
I mean, I'm all for more Avatar content, but it seems like the wrong approach.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Why would they make these movies for theaters and not just straight to streaming? Do they really expect these niche animated films that pretty much require you to have watched the series beforehand not to bomb?

They'll probably be one-time event screenings like the stuff Fathom puts on and then be out on home release very quickly afterwards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Especially seeing as it’s been years since ATLA/Korra ended and it’ll be at least two more before we even get the first of these films

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe Avatar can break the animation genre ghett-hahahahahahhahahaha

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah this definitely seems like a losing formula imo. Unless you plan on each film just starting with a 15-20 minute supercut of Avatar/Korra clips for a "Previously On"

But what do I know, I'm no professional, strike while the iron's cold fellas!

e: poo poo if you're gonna do theatrical Avatar movies why not just do The Last Airbender but not a lovely live-action one? Avatar was so stylized that it's stood the test of time for the most part but ultimately it's now a 15 year old show made on a TV budget in a 4:3 aspect ratio, I'm sure people would be excited to see it get remade with some money behind it. Hell you can even drag it out into three movies if you do it by book, I'm sure the suits will love that. Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings that poo poo!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 19, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mr Interweb posted:

man, seeing the gravity falls tweet, i would love to have seen what censor notes were provided to the guys doing the dub for the first season of Dragonball Z.

"please refrain from using the word "halo" to refer to Goku's halo when it disappears after he comes back to life. instead consider using "ring" or something to that effect"

apologies if i asked this before, but didn't naruto end with him fighting basically the God of chakra in the naruto universe? where do you go after THAT?

This apple could be misconstrued for genitals, please change or remove

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That Avatarnews link is the only one I've seen saying "theatrical". IGN and Variety don't include it and just say that the movies are "in the works" and who's working on the first one

https://www.ign.com/articles/avatar-the-last-airbender-three-animated-movies-in-production
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-last-airbender-films-paramount-nickelodeon-1235295075/

I assume the Avatarnews info is from inside information so I'd assume it's to be taken with some grain of salt and the details being extremely preliminary for anything but the first one (and even then).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Interweb posted:

apologies if i asked this before, but didn't naruto end with ...
From what I remember the first arc is basically Boruto is a fuckup, along with some character work to establish the new teams and poo poo, that then ties in more of the Naruto cast, some intrigue about Ninja Tools allowing Boruto to punch above his weight haphazardly, Orochimaru being a good weird dad kind of, and then the Chakra God's turn out to be weird multiversal Lavos/Genova parasites that infect people and eat their Chakra

Thunk of it more as a kind of show where Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Pan and Videl take center stage catching up and maybe surpassing the previous gen with their own weird powers and wind up fighting the Ultra Freeza Family.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 19, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I have watched another episode of The Loud House:

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Ep 4B) In Tents Debate

Season 1, Ep 5A) The Sweet Spot
Written by Kevin Sullivan
Storyboard by Kyle Marshal
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: The family vacation is upon the Louds once more (didn't we just do that last episode?) and this time it's a road trip. The trip is normally a nightmare due to the car being ancient and full of exposed springs, moist spots, meddling parents, etc but Lincoln has discovered an optimal seat which avoids these issues. He camps it out overnight but is horrified to learn that he hadn't accounted for where his sisters might sit which, depending on the outcome, might ruin the trip anyways. Lincoln wheels and deals his sisters into various spots only to have his plan discovered. On the day of the trip a free for all for the spot breaks out resulting in the car itself being destroyed and the trip cancelled. The parents demand the Loud kids sit in the living room together until they can get along but Lincoln knows of an ideal spot in there as well, and so the cycle continues.

Thoughts: It may just be my imagination but episodes boarded by Kyle Marshal (who also made “get the message”) are just a bit better than the rest in terms of jokes, animation, and general character expression. Something about this episode's general vibe clicked in a way that most of the other episodes just don't and I'm having trouble expressing exactly why. I don't want to oversell it because a lot of the problems baked into the series overall (overly broad characters, writing that can feel artificial and lacking emotional depth, a somewhat forced style of joke writing) are still here but it's handled better than usual. I like Lincoln using the underside of his mattress as a whiteboard. I liked the animation of him petting the cat to keep it quiet. I like the little tantrum you see his silhouette do in the car when he realizes his plan didn't account for something. It may not have the emotional sincerity of Project Loud House but there are lots of fun little moments with none of the obnoxious elements that drag down the show elsewhere resulting in a much better overall experience. In fact I'd probably rank this as my favorite episode of the show so far.

Themes and morals: This is another “Lincoln did nothing wrong” episode but to the show's credit the it isn't calling Lincoln out as an rear end in a top hat but instead more neutrally exploring his instinct to over-plan for every little contingency. He's not a bad guy here, just a kid who hasn't learned that he can't account for every little detail, and I like that. My only gripe is that Lincoln's plan was good, damnit! :argh: Contrary to what the episode thinks he was actually playing things pretty smartly and his scheme would have worked if his sisters hadn't started asking questions. For this moral to really work I think you need a scene showing how his ever expanding scheme is undermining itself. Maybe he talks to the same sister too many times in a row rousing their suspicion or he starts losing track of what was promised to who. As it stands though the sisters just sort of find out at some point and demand the seat which doesn't really prove the point the show was trying to make.

Not really much to explore on this front beyond that. It's a fine message for kids that's handled in a lighthearted and entertaining way, albeit one that didn't really sell it's premise in the end. Perfectly acceptable

Final thoughts: I'm very eager to find out if Kyle turns out to be “the good writer/artist” of the show or if this is a fluke. I'll be keeping an eye out for that name in the credits going forward.

E: Whoops! It was just Kyle on that other episode. This is the first episode Kevin Sullivan has written so far.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 20, 2022

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Are we allowed to talk to about Bluey here?

Because the Space episode is simultaneously an epic space adventure, a kids show, and a story about abandonment and dealing with depression. . Also, stargates and Aliens.

My god. It's full of stars. Now I feel like there needs to be a sequel episode to explain the first with an adult McKenzie trying to ignite a fire for a race of intelligent cats or something.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 20, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/clickhole/status/1538907022556442624?s=21&t=PaHcpdrRN-NDr5-mYiEaOg

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ha ha ha, the foreign thing is so weird.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I know it's a joke but honestly not knowing what's going on would probably work as a justification for a lot of the sometimes bizarre move/changes censors would make in the early days of anime in the US.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I have more opinions on The Loud House:

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Ep 5A) The Sweet Spot

Season 1, Episode 5B) A tale of 2 tables
Written by Michael Rubiner
Storyboard by Darin McGowan
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lincoln is sick of eating at the kid's table so he enlists the help of Clyde to help him prove he's ready to eat with the adults. After several incredibly transparent and inept attempts to prove his maturity he finally asks to switch tables and against all odds his parents approve. Once there though he learns that the adult's table actually sucks and decides he wants to go back. Lincoln disrupts the next night's dinner by indulging in every immature impulse he can think of and his outraged parents kick him back to the kid's table. The other siblings decide the adult's table sucks as well and join him and they all have a food fight together.

Thoughts: OK, what the actual gently caress is up with the adult's table in this house? I get there being rules you otherwise wouldn't have to deal with at the kid's table but why are simple jokes and lighthearted conversation not allowed? Why is desert and chicken nuggets a kid's table exclusive thing? Why do these sick freaks eat liver if they aren't in the 30's and trying to survive the great depression? I ate dinner with my parents my whole life and this is literally never how things worked.

So yeah, this episode really suffers from the writers artificially amping up how bad the adult's table is. They need Lincoln to want to go back but if it's just kind of boring by comparison (you know, like a normal-rear end family table) it's not enough to push him to do anything about it. So everything gets dialed to 11 and the family ends up looking super weird in the process.

Unfortunately the problems don't really end there. I do NOT enjoy second-hand cringe and most of the humor of the episode revolves around Lincoln being embarasing as gently caress trying to prove his maturity (with a smattering of Clyde being a creepy little poo poo on the side). Which in turn made at least half of the episode outright hard to watch. There were a couple good jokes in there like Lincoln shredding his face while shaving but for the most part the jokes in this one were duds. All in all an aggressively mediocre episode.

Themes and morals: I hate, hate, HAAAATE that Lincoln got to go back to the kid's table. Why? Because the show misses a golden opportunity to explore a very interesting aspect of growing up. The adult's table is an almost perfect metaphor for all kinds of roles and responsibilities you take on as you get older. Starting a real job, dating, paying taxes, raising kids, etc. When you take on these milestones there's such an immense feeling of pride at moving upward but also a very real sense of melancholy and loss for what you leave behind.

Because Lincoln's imaginary nightmare sisters were right, however proud you may be at your new place in the world at the end of the day you can never go back.

The show should have forced Lincoln to cope with that reality. He should have tried his little stunt to get kicked out only to be called out and told he's at the adult table for good and to deal with it. Let him sit and reflect on the fact that in a small but very real way his life has changed forever. Let him contemplate the passage of time and his own mortality. It's OK, you can let an episode end on a bit of a downer note once in a while. Life is like that.

I love the moral of “don't rush to get to the adult's table” which Lincoln outright says to the camera at the end of the episode. It's such an interesting topic. Which is why I hate this episode with a fiery passion for failing to explore it properly.

Final thoughts: Does anybody else really hate it when a character has an incredibly dumb daydream or fantasy about what they want as a way for the show to show motivation? I always found it obnoxious as hell and wish that trope would die a painful death.

Final verdict: Bad

Oh yeah, I'm rating each episode now based on how much enjoyment I got out of it and whether or not I'd recommend it to others. I'm not going to bother with a ton of nuance here so the three possible ratings are Good, Bad, and Eh. The meaning of the first two being obvious and the last being for cases where the episode didn't stir any strong emotions in me either way. These are very subjective so don't take them too seriously.

Here are the previous episodes for those curious:

Ep 1A - Left in the Dark - Eh
Ep 1B - Get the message - Good
Ep 2A - Heavy Meddle - Bad (Worst so far)
Ep 2B - Making the Case - Good
Ep 3A - Along Came a Sister - Bad
Ep 3B - Chore and Peace - Eh
Ep 4A - Project Loud House - Good
Ep 4B - In Tents Debate - Eh
Ep 5A - The Sweet Spot - Good (Best so far)

(Honestly that's more good episodes than I was expecting when I started this.)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 21, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Themes and morals: I hate, hate, HAAAATE that Lincoln got to go back to the kid's table. Why? Because the show misses a golden opportunity to explore a very interesting aspect of growing up. The adult's table is an almost perfect metaphor for all kinds of roles and responsibilities you take on as you get older. Starting a real job, dating, paying taxes, raising kids, etc. When you take on these milestones there's such an immense feeling of pride at moving upward but also a very real sense of melancholy and loss for what you leave behind.

Because Lincoln's imaginary nightmare sisters were right, however proud you may be at your new place in the world at the end of the day you can never go back.

The show should have forced Lincoln to cope with that reality. He should have tried his little stunt to get kicked out only to be called out and told he's at the adult table for good and to deal with it. Let him sit and reflect on the fact that in a small but very real way his life has changed forever. Let him contemplate the passage of time and his own mortality. It's OK, you can let an episode end on a bit of a downer note once in a while. Life is like that.

I love the moral of “don't rush to get to the adult's table” which Lincoln outright says to the camera at the end of the episode. It's such an interesting topic. Which is why I hate this episode with a fiery passion for failing to explore it properly.

Final thoughts: Does anybody else really hate it when a character has an incredibly dumb daydream or fantasy about what they want as a way for the show to show motivation? I always found it obnoxious as hell and wish that trope would die a painful death.

Those are some interesting thoughts. Otoh, I don't think kids necessarily care quite as much about those themes as you might. And also your take seems both dire and unfun and would be very atypical for a kid's sitcom cartoon.

It sounds like a pretty typical "Don't rush to grow up" episode and it's treated fairly differently depending on the age demographic that's being targeted. For the age set Loud House is targeting it's meant to paint adulthood as kinda dreary and boring and that being a kid is better with little grey area. For shows targeting tweens and above, the grey areas start coming in where there's some advantages to being young, but the responsibilities of growing up aren't so bad when paired with the perks.

Also, no. I think it's a neat shortcut to what the character envisions and their, typically incorrect, perspective. Not unlike how heist plots might visually show how a plan is supposed to work, before they actually do it and everything immediately falls apart.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Those are some interesting thoughts. Otoh, I don't think kids necessarily care quite as much about those themes as you might. And also your take seems both dire and unfun and would be very atypical for a kid's sitcom cartoon.

Yeah I agree kids probably don't care, lol. OTOH I'm looking at these specifically from an adult perspective for an audience of other adults so I'm not sure it matters for the purposes of this exercise.

As for this not working in a kid's sitcom, I've seen other comedic kid's shows tackle bummer subject matter before and it can actually be a really engaging when done right. Adventure Time is the king of this (usually going excessively dark for comedic effect) but I've also seen a bunch of other shows do it. Gravity Falls' Summerween episode for example dealt with very similar themes and explored the reality that the twins were growing up and their trick or treating days were numbered. I'm not saying this episode of TLH necessarily ~had~ to be super bleak, but the way they handled it felt like a cop out and the alternative would have been far more interesting imo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nodosaur posted:

Ha ha ha, the foreign thing is so weird.

I think step one with understanding anime is getting that, just like in America, not all cartoons are for kids and then getting that a lot of the weirdest shows are niche shows aimed at mega nerds in Japan.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Covok posted:

I think step one with understanding anime is getting that, just like in America, not all cartoons are for kids and then getting that a lot of the weirdest shows are niche shows aimed at mega nerds in Japan.

As you just said, we basically do the same thing here in America (and have for a while now) so I’m not sure why this is such a hard concept for them to grasp

Hell, literally speaking the term “anime” is just shorthand for “animation”, it’s still cartoons all the way down.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Larryb posted:

As you just said, we basically do the same thing here in America (and have for a while now) so I’m not sure why this is such a hard concept for them to grasp

Them who?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

People like the ones mentioned in the article above for example

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

dude it's loving clickhole

e: some other recent clickhole articles for those who are unfamiliar with the site's general output:

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1536015470867779584?t=9SWxkdHJHEwK8rX0bP2V1Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1535305795688177664?t=wrwTcl58DSqRTsFEzNHV_A&s=19

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1537540519831605248?t=Eon6apiS-0VFkr76e9Vy6g&s=19

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1538582383900839938?t=IKM3B1B5PNOR2vp5DAsZhw&s=19

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 21, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah ok (though I wouldn’t discount some people actually being that dumb to be honest)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, I’m about halfway into Kipo Season 3 and was curious what the “Wonderbeasts” in the title refer to. Is it just another name for Mute?

Incidentally, does the show ever touch on just how the surface world got so messed up and was there any supplementary material ever released for it such as comics and the like?

Also Kipo herself is adorkable (it’s like if Glimmer and Adora from SPoP swapped actresses)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 21, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Larryb posted:

That's clickhole. But I was mostly just joshing how boomers don't get it still. Boomers and the Xers, really. Getting anime seems to mainly be a Millennial and Zoomer thing. And before I get dogpiled, there are exceptions but boomer and Xer anime fans are the minority of their generation whereas millenials and zoomers seem to all get anime is a thing if they don't outright watch it or have watched it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

readingatwork posted:

Dead End: Paranormal Park on Netflix is a pretty good show with some great trans representation. Go give it some love.

I put on the pilot then suddenly the whole season was finished, not sure what happened

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Another post of me overthinking The Loud House:

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 5B) A tale of 2 tables

Season 1, Episode 6A) Driving Miss Hazy
Written by Karla Sakas Shropshire
Storyboard by Jordan Rosato
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lori is the only Loud kid with a drivers license so any time another kid needs a ride it comes at the cost of doing her chores. Sick of this, Lincoln decides to help Leni pass her drivers exam so that he can ask her for rides instead. After several failed attempts Lincoln finally stumbles on a solution where he uses Leni-friendly vocabulary (“Stick thingy”, etc) to explain driving concepts to her and it seems to work. However, Lori catches on to the plan and sabotages Leni by sticking a pair of headphones on her head while she sleeps that give her bad driving advice. Lincoln explains that this could be fatal and they run to intervene but find that while nobody is dead, Leni has already failed the exam. Feeling guilty Lori decides to take on helping Leni herself but doesn't seem to have much luck either.

Thoughts: Lincoln's problem wasn't that he just needed to learn to speak Leni's language. It was that Leni seems to have some kind of disability and shouldn't be let anywhere near a car ever for any reason. And this fact makes it *very* hard to root for either of our main characters in this episode. But setting aside the fact that I was actively rooting for our characters to fail this was mostly just a painfully unfunny episode without a lot going for it. Imagine the most half-assed joke you can imagine that boils down to “Leni dumb” and then multiply it by fifty and you have pretty much the entire episode. And not only do these jokes get old fast but Leni herself comes across as self-centered and obnoxious for most of the episode matched only by Lori and her incredibly dumb plan which could have gotten like 20 people killed. Seriously Lori what the hell!? :psyduck: It was just not a well handled episode and that's really all there is to say about it.

Themes and morals: An examination of the themes and morals of this episode would require there to be themes and morals to examine. Things happen, but at the end of the day nobody learns anything and nothing changes. Lincoln is acting out of self-interest but his attempts to help Leni are sincere so he doesn't really need to change, Leni is too dumb to learn anything in the first place, and while Lori nearly murders her sister through a painfully cliché cartoon trope I don't think “be careful not to kill your siblings via magic headphones” is an idea the show is trying to explore. If we're being charitable we can call this one an exploration of Leni as a character but aside from a single well-handled gag you don't really learn anything new about her or see her develop. The episode just sort of spins it's wheels for a while before deciding to end.

So instead of talking about the themes let's talk about Leni herself.

Sister Showcase (Leni): Like Luan, Leni really feels like a missed opportunity. Idiot humor can be really fun and endearing if done well because, lets be honest, all of us are pretty loving stupid in our own special way. However in this case the jokes about Leni area almost always incredibly lazy, aimed at the lowest possible hanging fruit and occasionally a bit mean spirited. Leni jokes never reveal anything interesting or result in a clever outcome. They don't even feel like things actual stupid people could conceivably say. They're just... kind of there.

Compare Leni to a character like Fry from Futurama who has the same shtick and you'll quickly start seeing the issue. In addition to Fry's jokes being *much* more clever, the writers actually put a lot of effort to show that fry Fry is actually a decent guy who has a lot of emotional depth to him. Remember that damned dog episode? Yeah, I simply can't imagine TLH ever exploring Leni like that, and that likability issue really holds her back. She does her best when the chips are down but in addition to being dumb in a generic and tedious way she also generally has very low empathy or emotional intelligence to compensate which really gets in the way of you being able to sympathize with her. Who knows, maybe it gets better over time but for now she's a real drag on the show.

That said, this new aspect of her character they introduced in this episode where she's basically a savant at creative things is great and I hope they lean into it. These few seconds are the most I've liked her all season.

Final thoughts: Why does this show keep making me watch kids eat used gum!? I will give you money if that's what it takes, PLEASE STOP IT! :argh:

Final Rating: Bad

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 22, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's like going on about how weird the equivalent of like, Aqua Teen Hunger Force is.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
gently caress it, let's do one more since I have some time.

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 6A) Driving Miss Hazy

Season 1, Episode 6B) No Guts, No Glori
Written by Haley Mancini
Storyboard by Miguel Puga
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: It's date night for the parents and Lori is in charge which means the house is on complete lockdown and no fun is allowed. Mad that she forbid him from playing his new video game Lincoln rallies the rest of the siblings to organize a rebellion and overthrow her. He succeeds and is named the new person in charge but things quickly go south though as Lincoln learns that “fun” for most of the kids is incredibly destructive. As the situation spins out of his control Lincoln turns to Lori who helps him lay down the law and get the place cleaned up just in time before the parents get back. After the dust has settled Lori decides to let Lincoln play his video game after all, seemingly having mellowed out a bit for the experience.

Thoughts: A perfectly watchable episode, albeit one I have no desire to ever see again. A lot of this has to do with the writers leaning away from the traits that can make TLH episodes pretty obnoxious to sit through like bad jokes/puns or excessive amounts of gross out humor. I never really laughed watching this one but at the same time I never cringed either so I'm calling it a win.

I think the most notable thing about this episode was the way Lincoln's ability to benevolently maneuver his family into cooperation that we saw in Project Loud House is completely gone in this episode, which honestly bothers me a little. He's a smart kid and has shown an near supernatural ability to get his siblings to do things. Hell, even taking this episode in a vacuum his judgment is still pretty good on this front. The only reason he failed at being in charge is because the writers artificially make him less intelligent while his siblings are turned into little shits who are willing to just steamroll even the most reasonable requests.

Well, that and him daring to challenge The Proper Order of Things once again. Which brings me to...

Themes and morals: This episode has a lot in common with Chore and Peace. On the surface this is an episode about how being in charge is harder than you think, pretty harmless and hardly an unusual trope in children's television. However when you dig in a little deeper you start to notice that this isn't quite what the show ends up saying. Instead what you get is a cautionary tale about challenging established hierarchies. There's a power structure everybody must respect, and while it may appear deeply unjust on the surface any attempt to change it will reveal that it actually was the correct system all along. In Chore and Peace this hierarchy was the chore assignments, which were perfect and beyond reproach. Here it's Lori being in charge while the parents are out.

It's important to emphasize that Lincoln's flaw is NOT his approach to being in charge nor his inexperience, even from the show's perspective. In fact, I'd argue he's pretty levelheaded all things considered (for starters he is 100% correct to rebel against his sister, who is well intentioned but can't think of a way of maintaining order beyond locking everybody in their room all night). Lincoln is more permissive than Lori, true, but he actually starts telling his sisters “no” to their more destructive impulses almost immediately and is perfectly willing to try and lay down the law when things start to get out of hand. He doesn't just let everybody do whatever they want like an actual 11 year old might. Instead, he handles the situation like most people would but fails anyways because at the end of the day he is not the right person for the job. It's only when Lincoln seeks Lori's help and accepts his proper place in the pecking order that the situation is resolved. Not only that, but once he stops fighting his initial conflict resolves itself and Lori decides on her own to let him play video games after all (which honestly I'm shocked she wouldn't do in the first place just to keep him quiet and out of her hair). There is no need to challenge the system, just comply and happiness will follow.

Now, I doubt any of this was intentional on the part of the writer but messages like this bug me all the same for obvious reasons. When Lincoln first asks Lori for help her initial response is “You're in charge, you fix it” and part of me really would have liked that to be the ending. Maybe Lincoln would have ended up being a bit more like Lori than he'd planned but at the same time maybe his successes could have taught Lori how to chill out and compromise a bit. Hell, maybe the two of them could have taken on babysitting duty together and let their mutual strengths compensate for each other's weaknesses. If nothing else having 2 people to supervise would lessen the need to lock everybody in their rooms so they don't set the house on fire. You can show that having responsibility is hard without reflexively justifying the system as a whole is what I'm saying.

*Sigh* When will these children's television writers start reading their political theory? SMH...

Final thoughts: Luna continues to be willing to do montage music on demand with no questions asked which is a really endearing character trait.

Final Rating: Eh

E: Tweaked a couple paragraphs.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 22, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finished Infinity Train (it’s actually not that bad if you think of it more as a slightly connected anthology series). Out of curiosity, have the creators ever shared what some of their ideas were for the parts they didn’t get a chance to make?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Finished Infinity Train (it’s actually not that bad if you think of it more as a slightly connected anthology series). Out of curiosity, have the creators ever shared what some of their ideas were for the parts they didn’t get a chance to make?

I believe Owen Dennis (the creator) said that he had at least one more season that explained what the Train is/its origin. I haven't looked too much further but I'm sure if you trawl Twitter you can find some other scrapped ideas/plans.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

They wrote and completely storyboarded a movie about Amelia that finishes her story and explains how she took over the train. You can kind of see that being set up in the final season, though I think the first season gives just enough context for what happened and why and is pretty much perfect in terms of not overexplaining—her problems were just a little too big and she was just a little too smart. The creator posted on a reddit thread that Cartoon Network refused to consider funding 90 minutes about a 55-year-old main character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

They wrote and completely storyboarded a movie about Amelia that finishes her story and explains how she took over the train. You can kind of see that being set up in the final season, though I think the first season gives just enough context for what happened and why and is pretty much perfect in terms of not overexplaining—her problems were just a little too big and she was just a little too smart. The creator posted on a reddit thread that Cartoon Network refused to consider funding 90 minutes about a 55-year-old main character.

Makes sense, as I said the lack of a proper conclusion is less of a problem if you think of it more as an anthology series (in the sense that every season is its own self contained story despite having some story connection to what came before, aside from the last book which is a prequel though I suppose in that case you could say it loops back around into Season 1)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Larryb posted:

This is purely my fan theory, but I always thought that the big reveal about the train would be:
The train is in a post-apocalyptic future where mankind screwed up and its mission is to pluck "bad" people out of the past and help fix their issues so that they go back as "good" people.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of post-apocalyptic stuff, was there ever any behind the scenes info in Kipo about how the surface world got hosed up to begin with (I assume nukes were involved given the mutations in the local wildlife)?

Also out of curiosity did they ever make any supplementary material for that show like comics and the like?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Kipo is one of those things that relies on a fantastical crazy apocalypse like Fallout or Nausicaa. Probably a war was involved, but like obviously there's no weapons or technology that we have now that would promote that sort of weirdness to happen.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Larryb posted:

Speaking of post-apocalyptic stuff, was there ever any behind the scenes info in Kipo about how the surface world got hosed up to begin with (I assume nukes were involved given the mutations in the local wildlife)?

Also out of curiosity did they ever make any supplementary material for that show like comics and the like?

I mean, the only thing we see of the early days suggests that it just HAPPENED one day, like a virus or something. Mutants are running wild through the show's Not-Los Angeles while it's (mostly) still standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean, the only thing we see of the early days suggests that it just HAPPENED one day, like a virus or something. Mutants are running wild through the show's Not-Los Angeles while it's (mostly) still standing.

True, the show also implies that the world has been like this for a very long time (I think Dave mentions during his flashback in Season 3 that he’s been around for about 200 years)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 24, 2022