Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Hahaha so the mayor is:
  • blaming McCraw, and accusing him of lying to the committee
  • angry that investigators aren't sharing information with them
  • announcing that they're demolishing the school
gently caress the school. Demolish the whole stupid town.

Edit: Better yet, leave the school standing—this out-of-sight-out-of-mind bullshit for gun violence can stop.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I thought the feds said years ago they'd seek and prosecute animal abuse cases as felonies and offenders would be tracked for life? Did they,, uh, not do that?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://twitter.com/johnmellencamp/status/1539371130175225861?s=20&t=qWpuv3Y4S62SYaqLKgKikQ

John Mellencamp is tired of this poo poo

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Hahaha so the mayor is:
  • blaming McCraw, and accusing him of lying to the committee
  • angry that investigators aren't sharing information with them
  • announcing that they're demolishing the school
gently caress the school. Demolish the whole stupid town.

Edit: Better yet, leave the school standing—this out-of-sight-put-of-mind bullshit for gun violence can stop.

:airquote: Fun :airquote: Fact:

There is a system of federal grants which gives schools districts up to $45M USD to raze schools where shootings occur and build a new school somewhere else because I guess that is easier than gun control...

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/federal-funds-may-be-used-to-raze-uvaldes-robb-elementary-after-massacre/2981366/

quote:

Gutierrez also said he expected federal help to cover the cost of razing and rebuilding the school.

"The president said we're going to work on a grant. Here's a sad state of affairs, we actually have a federal grant for schools that undergo this type of devastation, and it's upwards to $45 million to raze these schools. What does that say about this problem in America?" Gutierrez said.

After the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012 that killed 20 students and six adults, students were sent to a different elementary school while the building was later razed and rebuilt.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is a system of federal grants which gives schools districts up to $45M USD to raze schools where shootings occur and build a new school somewhere else because I guess that is easier than gun control...

drat this is perverse

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/federal-funds-may-be-used-to-raze-uvaldes-robb-elementary-after-massacre/2981366/

That was posted earlier in the thread, and it bears repeating. Erasing the scene of a mass shooting may seem humanitarian, but it's also a federally sponsored attempt to demolish a monument to why we need better gun control.

sebmojo posted:

I'm going to unbookmark this thread because it makes my blood boil, I'm sorry about everything america.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Whoa.

Maybe this was all part of a plot to get a new school built for the town with federal cash?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

I. M. Gei posted:

loving :ughh: ...... fine, what name would you put there instead?

Maybe start by filtering the list to people who didn't rape children?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

loving :ughh: ...... fine, what name would you put there instead?

Look the name in the sentence doesn't loving matter. What matters is you get the point.

the name kind of matters when you pick a guy with mountains of evidence and testimony against him that he raped children

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Oh, my God, let it go. Michael's dead. He can't hurt y'all anymore.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Here's a fun fact relating to this!

So I went to school in the same district that that Parkland shooting happened in. It's been 20 years since I graduated, but when I was in school my high school was falling apart from mold and just general casual decay. It's basically no secret that this school building alone has had major problems and needs tons of repairs, so they approved a local measure to have an extra tax that'll raise 30 million to fix it. Money was ready to go, repairs were about to happen and then the Parkland shooting happened. The school district saw this big pile of money sitting around and said, "ok cool we'll just use this to tear down the entire wing that got shot up and rebuild it."

They specifically turned down the federal grant money under the guise of "not being beholden to big government" but in reality they didn't want the feds to be involved in the district in the event they decide to see what's been going on and take actions to make changes to their culture. Also it's a real good way to just say "oooo, sorry, I guess we just have to close this old school."

The part I haven't mentioned yet is that my high school is the historical school for the black community in what remains a really segregated town. No other schools are nearby that would service that area and it's basically last in the district for any kind of upgrade, funding, or attention of any kind. MSD was known as "the rich kids school" and had everything including working AC. We had a special lung disease you caught just by attending classes in 4th or 2nd hall. This is likely why the district does not want the feds to look at their books.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Good soup! posted:

the name kind of matters when you pick a guy with mountains of evidence and testimony against him that he raped children

But... He made Thriller.

Thriller.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Bananana posted:

Even if he weren't dead I'd be too old for him

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

that's a hell of a chili dog to suck on

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Bananana posted:

Yeah enough of this in this thread. It doesn't matter who's wrong or right, just beat it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Murdstone posted:

Yeah enough of this in this thread. It doesn't matter who's wrong or right, just beat it.

He's bad, you know it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just can't get over that when there's a mass shooting, some places just demolish the school (evidence) and build a new one over it in hopes people will forget. I had no idea this was a thing, and not only is it a thing, but we have federal grants set aside for just these cases?

This is me right now:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I mean do you wanna go to class at the school your friends were murdered at

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cacator posted:

He's bad, you know it.

I always feel like somebody's watching me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PokeJoe posted:

I mean do you wanna go to class at the school your friends were murdered at

Well it's now hallowed ground so anything you put up there will still have the memory, despite them trying to erase it. Taking a building down and building a new one doesn't do poo poo lol. It's just a clear and obvious way of them not wanting to think about it anymore.

I'd prefer if my friends didn't get murdered at school in the first place, which we can actually do something about instead of letting it happen time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again and then trying to erase the memory. That's just so loving unbelievable to me.

So should this be standard practice anytime someone gets shot and killed somewhere in a building? Raze it and rebuild it? Or is it only for children and schools because it's so heinous. What should the cutoff be? What if 10 children are killed in a grocery store. Should we tear that down and rebuild it too? Are there federal grants for that?

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 22, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hallowed ground?

Buddy, this is :blastu::murica:, it will just sit as a vacant lot for a few decades and then in 30 years some old man will remember out loud that “that CVS used to be the school where the massacre happened...”

:smith::hf::smith:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hallowed ground?

Buddy, this is :blastu::murica:, it will just sit as a vacant lot for a few decades and then in 30 years some old man will remember out loud that “that CVS used to be the school where the massacre happened...”

:smith::hf::smith:

"You can't buy this house, it was built on an ancient kindergarten slaughter ground"

"Yeah, but where hasn't?"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pro starcraft loser posted:

"You can't buy this house, it was built on an ancient kindergarten slaughter ground"

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Where's the last monument to school shooting victims you heard about or saw?

Out of sight, out of mind.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/herbscribner/status/1539742984832487426

About time

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The one thing every single absolutely egregious failure in this situation has in common is loving arredondo

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
NYT reports that the cop married to one of the dead teachers tried to go in, had his gun taken away and then was detained.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Is this guy the one that just got elected mayor? That'd be weird if he was still chief of police and getting paid for both jobs.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is this guy the one that just got elected mayor? That'd be weird if he was still chief of police and getting paid for both jobs.

City council

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Arredondo sucks poo poo so much

I hope someone eggs and TPs his house every day for a year after this

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
From the trump lol thread.

The Last Call posted:

Uvalde City Council denies Pete Arredondo's leave of absence request

Earlier Tuesday, Arredondo testified for hours in front of state legislators.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/uvalde-city-council-denies-pete-arredondos-leave-absence/story?id=85544930

The Uvalde City Council unanimously denied council member Pete Arredondo's request for a leave of absence from future meetings, in an effort to be more transparent following criticisms of law enforcement's handling of the Robb Elementary School mass shooting.

Arredondo, who serves as the chief of police for the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District and was sworn in as a city council member at the end of May, wanted to be exempt from attending future city council meetings.

A motion was unanimously denied to grant a leave of absence to the newly elected council member, who was not present Tuesday night. Per city council rules, there is a $2 fine for missing council meetings, and after three missed meetings, the other council members can vote to have a member removed from their post.

Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin said he would vote "yes" to replace Arredondo on the city council if he misses three consecutive meetings without a leave of absence. The council pointed out that it can't take an opinion or make any official vote because Arredondo hasn't actually missed three meetings.

Those attending the meeting Tuesday erupted in cheers when the council denied his leave.

At a school board meeting on Monday, parents of the victims and members of the Uvalde community called for Arredondo's resignation.

"Having Pete still employed, knowing he is incapable of decision-making that saves lives is terrifying," Brett Cross, the uncle of student Uziyah Garcia, who died in the shooting, said. "Innocence doesn't hide, innocence doesn't change its story, but innocence did die on May 24."

Strike one. :getin:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The fact that the guy tried to immediately go back to business as usual is a good reminder of the psychopathy of police... the guy doesnt even care if it makes other police look bad, or the entire country look bad. He wants that sweet city council job he's been dreaming of since those kids died

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

cops getting all mad at the dead kids like

why'd you have to die...

on my shift?

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pro starcraft loser posted:

lol

:smith:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Comstar posted:

NYT reports that the cop married to one of the dead teachers tried to go in, had his gun taken away and then was detained.

Pretty obvious now that there is no substantial difference between the cops actively helping the gunman vs what they actually did that day.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Comstar posted:

if he didnt want to lose his gun he should have simply married one of the alive teachers

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I can't believe the 'police disarmed the one cop who wanted to go in' poo poo is getting reported by actual reporters/comes from a statement by the Texas DPS head, I figured that surely that was some twitter bullshit outrage bait that went viral, but good loving lord

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
on rereading i worded that badly, I mean that I can't believe that it turned out to be true. Even after all these fuckups and attempts to cover up what went down, somehow there's still more to learn about how utterly they botched the response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
It seems to be true. Between that and the cops standing outside tazing and cuffing parents while the shooter continues rampaging, the entire situation is dripping with existential irony which highlights every.single.problem with the policing system.