Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

boxen posted:

*sprints over* "Hey bud, it's been a rough time for a lot of people, how are you holding up? Want to talk for a bit? I have an action."

panicked 1 removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just started my first pf2e game as a player and I'm wondering if I made a mistake by playing a forensic medicine investigator. We're playing abomination vaults. So far the dm and I had a different interpretation of what is considered an ongoing investigation to trigger devise a strat being a free action.

We have a monk, sorcerer, champion, Oracle and my investigator. I'm especially the mouse detective since I'm playing a ysoki

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just started my first pf2e game as a player and I'm wondering if I made a mistake by playing a forensic medicine investigator. We're playing abomination vaults. So far the dm and I had a different interpretation of what is considered an ongoing investigation to trigger devise a strat being a free action.

It's defined pretty clearly in the rules of Pursue a Lead.

quote:

You spend 1 minute examining the details of one potential clue, designating the subject related to that clue as the target of your active investigation. This subject is typically a single creature, item, or small location (such as a room or corridor), but the GM might allow a different scope for your investigation. You don't need to know the identity, purpose, or nature of the subject, but you do need to be aware of its existence. For instance, finding a footprint is enough to investigate the creature that left it, and seeing a hasty sketch of an item or location can be enough to start your investigation of that subject.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It doesn't seem like there are any books from Pathfinder quite like Old World of Darkness with a focus on playing a villain/villain faction. You could argue dam near everybody is a bad guy in the oWoD but clearly the Black Spiral Dancers, Nephandi, etc.. ae the narrative bad guys for their gameline And yet they all got multiple books dedicated to explaining them fluff-wise and gameplay-wise. I haven't found anything anything like that with Pathfinder. Some interesting lore on evil deities but that's about it.

I got an actual novel called Hellknight to try and get in the mindset.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

NikkolasKing posted:

It doesn't seem like there are any books from Pathfinder quite like Old World of Darkness with a focus on playing a villain/villain faction. You could argue dam near everybody is a bad guy in the oWoD but clearly the Black Spiral Dancers, Nephandi, etc.. ae the narrative bad guys for their gameline And yet they all got multiple books dedicated to explaining them fluff-wise and gameplay-wise. I haven't found anything anything like that with Pathfinder. Some interesting lore on evil deities but that's about it.

I got an actual novel called Hellknight to try and get in the mindset.

The stuff is spread across a lot of books, in 2e at least. Hellknights are arguably not all villains. They can be, but you could get a hellknight paladin, for instance. Evil champions (Tyrant, Descrator, Antipaladin) are in the Advanced Players Guide. The main evil dieties are given write ups in Gods and Magic, with minor ones being spread across several other books. Rules for playing undead are in Book of the Dead. The next AP is going to be specifically designed for neutral/evil characters, so there's likely to be a fair bit of guidance in the players handbook for that. And so on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

The stuff is spread across a lot of books, in 2e at least. Hellknights are arguably not all villains. They can be, but you could get a hellknight paladin, for instance. Evil champions (Tyrant, Descrator, Antipaladin) are in the Advanced Players Guide. The main evil dieties are given write ups in Gods and Magic, with minor ones being spread across several other books. Rules for playing undead are in Book of the Dead. The next AP is going to be specifically designed for neutral/evil characters, so there's likely to be a fair bit of guidance in the players handbook for that. And so on.

Does AP stand for Advanced Players? I'll definitely keep an eye out for that, thank you.

In the meantime though, while I do love cosmic stuff, I wanna get a better grasp on the more day to day setting of the world. Would you say this is a good place to start? https://paizo.com/products/btpy82t7

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NikkolasKing posted:

Does AP stand for Advanced Players? I'll definitely keep an eye out for that, thank you.

AP stands for Adventure Path; it’s what Paizo calls their full-campaigns series of 3-6 modules.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
The Campaign Setting stuff is pretty old 1e era material, while perfectly serviceable it won't have any of the major changes to the world that have happened since 1e was current. For a more up to date gazetteer I'd check out Lost Omens: World Guide. For a closer look at any region that interests you, the Campaign Settings are good for that, if a little out of date. They've gradually been putting out newer 2e books that cover various regions in more detail (like the recent Mwangi Expanse and Absalom books which are huge and excellent books of setting information for those areas), but for a lot of regions the 1e campaign setting is all you're going to get until it gets an update.

There's also the 1e book Inner Sea World Guide which covers a lot of the same information as the Lost Omens book, but a lot more of those 320 pages are devoted to random crunch, IIRC.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Inner Sea World Guide is 320 pages, 50 pages of which is rules. That's not an egregiously large amount to make it not worth recommending for someone who wants more detail than what's in 2e so far.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I like to think of Hellknights as fantasy Judge Dredd.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

Though she is sometimes referred to as the Iron Goddess, Casandalee is much more than simple metal. She sometimes appears as a holographic reconstruction of her android form: a female humanoid with purple hair, blue lips, and pale skin traced with glowing circuitry, but upon close inspection, this image seems to consist of millions of complex algorithms of pure light. Casandalee and her followers seek to promote the advancement of Golarion’s technology so that the world’s inhabitants can better understand— and not fear—the complex mechanisms of so-called artificial life, including androids and free -willed artificial intelligences. Many androids consider themselves the chosen people of Casandalee and depict her as an obvious android with more circuitry or exposed components.

Are there many androids in my medieval fantasy setting? I'll be running into robots in WotR when I get around to it

Sorry, reading Gods & Magic, and this is a new one indeed. Haven't heard anything about this before.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there many androids in my medieval fantasy setting? I'll be running into robots in WotR when I get around to it

Sorry, reading Gods & Magic, and this is a new one indeed. Haven't heard anything about this before.

Casandalee is a very new god, rising to divinity at the end of the Iron Gods AP for 1e. There’s some androids but not a ton outside of Numeria. Can’t think of many in WotR, but the robot dungeon might include a couple.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Even the "Good" gods are kinda jerks in this game. It all started when I took an interest in the Fey and learned how they were created and abandoned by the gods, basically discarded rejects so the gods could make the Material Plane instead. And now I read this in Planer Adventures:

quote:

In eons past, the angel Tabris was tasked with cataloging all knowledge of the Great Beyond, only to eventually be cast from Heaven for penning the Book of the Damned, the perfect catalog of all planar evil. His dedication and sacrifice to the task have inspired some to follow his example; these bards are known as the chroniclers of worlds.

Some gratitude.

Also interesting is that it doesn't seem tor really matter where you go when you die. Pharasma specifically does not reward or punish, just sends you on your way to the place you'd be most at home. But it's also not really "you" anymore as your soul loses all memories of bodily existence. And perhaps even more importantly. whether your soul is sent to Heaven or the Abyss or somewhere else, 99% of these souls fade away into quintessence. There is no eternal afterlife for most everyone.

Not what I expected and really interesting.

EDIT:

It doesn't seem like there's quite as much lore chat about PF? Maybe I'm just missing it all since I primarily visit here and Reddit. There certainly does not appear to be a Pathfinder equivalent of WoD Magechat.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 18, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The Pathfinder Cosmology is Planescape with the serial numbers filed off. It's fine, as those things go.

Golarion proper has a bunch of interesting things in it, but never really feels like a cohesive setting rather than a collection of genre-specific fantasy lands.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Personally I'm a big fan of Groetus, who's pretty much just a CE deified version of the moon from Majora's Mask.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GetDunked posted:

Personally I'm a big fan of Groetus, who's pretty much just a CE deified version of the moon from Majora's Mask.

He's actually always been CN which surprised me. But they made him actually not evil in the 2e writeup I was reading in Gods & Magic.. He was a lot more ominous in Inner Sea Gods from the first edition.

Froghammer posted:

The Pathfinder Cosmology is Planescape with the serial numbers filed off. It's fine, as those things go.

Golarion proper has a bunch of interesting things in it, but never really feels like a cohesive setting rather than a collection of genre-specific fantasy lands.

I was just reading some Planescape yesterday. Why is the book about the entire multiverse written in British-ese?

I did not miss the lack of sods and berks in Pathfinder's account.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Because 17th century London thieves' cant is cool

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

NikkolasKing posted:

Even the "Good" gods are kinda jerks in this game. It all started when I took an interest in the Fey and learned how they were created and abandoned by the gods, basically discarded rejects so the gods could make the Material Plane instead. And now I read this in Planer Adventures:

In eons past, the angel Tabris was tasked with cataloging all knowledge of the Great Beyond, only to eventually be cast from Heaven for penning the Book of the Damned, the perfect catalog of all planar evil. His dedication and sacrifice to the task have inspired some to follow his example; these bards are known as the chroniclers of worlds.

Some gratitude.

Also interesting is that it doesn't seem tor really matter where you go when you die. Pharasma specifically does not reward or punish, just sends you on your way to the place you'd be most at home. But it's also not really "you" anymore as your soul loses all memories of bodily existence. And perhaps even more importantly. whether your soul is sent to Heaven or the Abyss or somewhere else, 99% of these souls fade away into quintessence. There is no eternal afterlife for most everyone.

Not what I expected and really interesting.

Yeah, I think a lot of it goes down to the gods having much more complicated plans or perspectives on these things. Like, the processing of souls has to basically not upset any of the major gods, and them becoming quintessence that reinforces/expands the realm is the main point of it arguably, so with an eternal or at least interminably long viewpoint what they do as petitioners or whatever other outsiders (not a game term anymore in 2e) they develop into is less important in the meanwhile. And there are always exceptions who somehow remember anyway.

As far as Tabris, the banishment might have been much, but I got the impression that his essence as a being of pure good was actually damaged by some of the stuff he witnessed and recorded and ended up neutral, so it would have been an awkward fit in Heaven afterwards anyway. That said...

Froghammer posted:

Planescape is more segmented and the planes are more... specific? Because there are some weird things in the great beyond, like since the lawful neutral plane is a city instead of pure mechanics, there are a lot of non-lawful beings that end up there, including that's where the neutral evil god of thieves and secrets lives. Also, I don't think any of the major chaotic neutral gods actually have realms in the maelstrom, since it's almost impossible to build there. So they generally hang out in elysium or, perhaps, the Abyss. Part of it's just because the planes are not created equal - the Maelstrom is bigger than all the other outer planes except the abyss, and is constantly eroding them with its chaos, and then the abyss is as big as all the other outer planes combined including the maelstrom, and possibly literally a living being itself that the fiends that call it home mostly live in the cracks in the surface of. Plus the river styx, which is part of Abaddon, goes through all of them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Golux posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of it goes down to the gods having much more complicated plans or perspectives on these things. Like, the processing of souls has to basically not upset any of the major gods, and them becoming quintessence that reinforces/expands the realm is the main point of it arguably, so with an eternal or at least interminably long viewpoint what they do as petitioners or whatever other outsiders (not a game term anymore in 2e) they develop into is less important in the meanwhile. And there are always exceptions who somehow remember anyway.

As far as Tabris, the banishment might have been much, but I got the impression that his essence as a being of pure good was actually damaged by some of the stuff he witnessed and recorded and ended up neutral, so it would have been an awkward fit in Heaven afterwards anyway. That said...

Well I was mostly just taking a bit of a jibe at the gods because the last time I did some Pathfinder lore reading, it was on the Fey. And what is their backstory "The gods made our world and then dumped us and started over." These gods are kinda jerks, even the good ones.

Also continuing to read Planar Adventures, this was really interesting to me

quote:

Unlike any other judgment, however, unclaimed souls condemned to Abaddon are granted one last chance before being consigned to existence as hunted petitioners: a single devil and demon are stationed at the court, given special permission by Pharasma to attempt to persuade the damned souls to choose the Abyss or Hell instead.

I've spent most of my time researching the Abyss and Demon Lords, not the other Evil realms/beings, but from what I can gather in the Abaddon chapter, she maybe does this because Daemons love nothing more than destroying souls? That was a recurring theme in the chapter. That would gently caress up the whole system if they just kept destroying souls. Not even Demons do this, they want to corrupt souls.

Also I found this kinda cute/funny

quote:

The eight archdevils are the rulers of the first eight levels of Hell, while Asmodeus himself oversees Nessus, the ninth. The Queens of the Night, conversely, have traditionally been shut out of Hell's hierarchical patriarchies.

LE is full of systemic sexism. Fittingly, not so much of a problem in Abaddon and absolutely not a problem in the Abyss with Lamashtu being the head divinity, as well as many other female Demon Lords.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah Abaddon is the plane of utter nihilism - unlike the other realms they don't even care about growing their realm, they just want to make it so nothing alive exists (Compare to the Qlippoth who want to make it so nothing alive besides them exists), so it's actually counter to the idea of the flow of souls. If you go to Hell or the Abyss, your soul will probably be pressed into servitude or eaten, but in abaddon they'll literally obliterate it. You only go there if you either really want to be obliterated, or want to join in in the obliterating and think you'll "live" long enough to be able to. If I remember correctly, Pharasma actually originally didn't *let* souls choose to go to Abaddon so the only people who went were those dedicated to the horsemen or daemons, but eventually the horsemen literally went to Pharasma's court and said "Hey that's not fair, we're deities too, so we deserve our shot at all the souls as much as anyone else and what we do with them afterwards is none of your business." and she couldn't actually refute that.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

NikkolasKing posted:

Some gratitude.

To be fair, said angel had pretty much gone full on into learning things man angel was not meant to know and was REALLY messed up, casting him out was something in the nature of quarantine as I recall.

quote:

Honestly I get the real impression from Pharasma's perspective the only true purpose of good, evil, law, chaos, and neutrality in mortals is to allow a fair method to share out all the soul-stuff generated by the positive energy plane among all the various powers that represent such moralities. The distinctions are bureaucratic, not judicial hand-downs of rewards/punishments for right and wrong. She only tends to be more negative to the evil powers because they cheat at this process via undeath and soul-theft (if somebody sacrifices you to an evil god in Pathfinder, they DO get to steal your soul even if you were good).

quote:

It doesn't seem like there's quite as much lore chat about PF? Maybe I'm just missing it all since I primarily visit here and Reddit. There certainly does not appear to be a Pathfinder equivalent of WoD Magechat.

There's technically a discussion for Lost Omens lore on the Paizo boards, but I don't see a lot of it elsewhere, no, apart from a few YouTube channels. It is pretty interesting since despite pulling a lot of stuff from D&D they've put their own spin on those items that can be clever. The gods have their own myths which as you mentioned do not always have even the good gods doing the "right" thing, and often include mistakes (if you haven't seen it on the Paizo blog, the Wingsong Testaments posts were a neat collection of several of them), the races have tweaks (elves as aliens/Greys is a neat way to get them as somewhat strange and distant from most races while letting gnomes claim the Fey background stuff), and in general they try not to just straight copy the D&Disms over without a little thought into how they would come to be in their world. Sometimes the ideas get a little screwy (ogres as Hills Have Eyes society gets a little too easily into excess player squick red card territory I think), but at least they don't just mindless bring over the bog-standard Tolkien copy-paste stuff.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I will say that the recent Mwangi Expanse book is one of the coolest settings I have ever seen with multiple cultures for each ancestry and really cool ideas (Walkena the Child God is legitimately spooky and a brilliant idea in a setting where gods are real) and some of the most gorgeous art ever put in an RPG book.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MadDogMike posted:

To be fair, said angel had pretty much gone full on into learning things man angel was not meant to know and was REALLY messed up, casting him out was something in the nature of quarantine as I recall.

Yeah I finally read the full account of this in Book of the Damned

quote:

In the earliest days of the multiverse, when reality had settled into a stability roughly equating to its present nature, the angelic hosts of Heaven sought to have an accounting of the totality of knowledge of all realms, so they might know the glories of the divine, the plights of those they would protect, and the faces of their enemies. The angelic warrior-scholar Tabris was tasked with this seemingly impossible undertaking, and a thousand legions of lesser celestials were placed at his command. Although untold centuries of ceaseless toil passed in the chronicling of the Material Plane and the planes of law, good, and neutrality, those realms willingly yielded their secrets to the angelic hosts. The Fiendish Planes, however, proved even more hostile and secretive than expected. When Tabris’s scholars failed to return from their tours of Abaddon, the Abyss, and Hell, he sent soldiers; when they in turn disappeared, he sent armies; and when they too vanished, Tabris journeyed forth himself.

Unless they meet with violent ends, angels live forever. Yet even by the counting of immortals, Tabris was lost for ages beyond reckoning— the assumed final casualty in a futile scholarly exercise. His emergence from the Maelstrom proved but the first in a series of shocks that would reverberate through every celestial realm. A dour, pale apparition of the divine evangelist he once was, Tabris carried the scars of one who had faced every horror and outrage of the damned, whose service and blood had paid for interviews with the planes’ greatest monstrosities, and who had sought the face of evil and found it more terrible than any noble soul could have fathomed. Just as these scars were etched into his mind and flesh, so were page after page scourged by his pen, sacrilege piling upon blasphemy as he completed his divine mandate with unflinching thoroughness.

When the judges of Heaven reviewed their brother’s work, they were appalled. Here were enumerated foes, plots, and betrayals beyond the eyes of the Heavenly host; sins and deeds without godly names or punishments; and fiendish threats, promises, and prophecies cataloged with scholarly detachment. Tabris was called to account for his work, yet the lost hero had no interest in defending himself. He had suffered eternities of outrages and returned with the only possible, perfect fulfillment of his directive. For this, he was unrepentant. In the innumerable offenses of Tabris’s chronicle and his own quiet audacity, the powers of Heaven saw corruption and mourned the loss of their former hero. His work was to be destroyed as the most dangerous of heresies, and Tabris forever barred from the realms of the divine. Detached as he was from all things, Tabris accepted his fate, walking from the mountain of Heaven to lose himself amid the streets and alleys of the Eternal City of Axis. Yet his work refused to be so easily forgotten, and it vanished from the vault-kilns locked away in the depths of Heaven’s Great Library.

Since then, Tabris’s chronicle has scattered, seemingly by its own will, across the Material Plane, tainting minds and souls with myriad copies and forgeries and forever eluding the grasp of Heaven’s censors, who have dubbed this heresy of ink and parchment the Book of the Damned.

quote:

There's technically a discussion for Lost Omens lore on the Paizo boards, but I don't see a lot of it elsewhere, no, apart from a few YouTube channels. It is pretty interesting since despite pulling a lot of stuff from D&D they've put their own spin on those items that can be clever. The gods have their own myths which as you mentioned do not always have even the good gods doing the "right" thing, and often include mistakes (if you haven't seen it on the Paizo blog, the Wingsong Testaments posts were a neat collection of several of them), the races have tweaks (elves as aliens/Greys is a neat way to get them as somewhat strange and distant from most races while letting gnomes claim the Fey background stuff), and in general they try not to just straight copy the D&Disms over without a little thought into how they would come to be in their world. Sometimes the ideas get a little screwy (ogres as Hills Have Eyes society gets a little too easily into excess player squick red card territory I think), but at least they don't just mindless bring over the bog-standard Tolkien copy-paste stuff.

FishFood posted:

I will say that the recent Mwangi Expanse book is one of the coolest settings I have ever seen with multiple cultures for each ancestry and really cool ideas (Walkena the Child God is legitimately spooky and a brilliant idea in a setting where gods are real) and some of the most gorgeous art ever put in an RPG book.

Yeah there's definitely a lot of weird and interesting stuff I'm enjoying reading and learning. On the topic of souls, somebody recommended me Pyramid of the Sky Pharaoh. It has a whole chapter on souls and stuff. Apparently the AP's can have big lore dumps like this and I need to start picking these up. Lucky I'm just in time to follow Blood Lords' release.

Mwangi Expanse sounds intriguing I'll be adding that to my list.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah there's definitely a lot of weird and interesting stuff I'm enjoying reading and learning. On the topic of souls, somebody recommended me Pyramid of the Sky Pharaoh. It has a whole chapter on souls and stuff. Apparently the AP's can have big lore dumps like this and I need to start picking these up. Lucky I'm just in time to follow Blood Lords' release.

Mwangi Expanse sounds intriguing I'll be adding that to my list.

Yes, the APs have a significant amount of backmatter besides the actual adventures that is sometimes worth the price of entry. I'm still picking up the new ones even though my group still plays 1e.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Has anyone here ever included Gerbies in their games? What fun stuff did you use them for?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I kind of want to next time I run stuff (I do tend to do fey-based things), but haven't yet. Could be an interesting challenge to balance between cute/helpful/mostly harmless and saccharine/annoying/getting in the way, which I think is intentional.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
New errata for the 2e core rulebook from the 3rd printing. Mostly regular errata fixes and clarifications, but with a few wrinkles:

• Summon and minion rules are updated to match Secrets of Magic
  • Alternate form spells can use non-Strike attacks (except for Pest Form, which has it Speed doubled)
  • Sneak attack now works with unarmed ranged attacks
  • Effects with a duration of one day now instead last until your next daily preparations
  • "Wand" and "scroll" are each explicitly a single crafting formula instead of implicitly requiring a separate formula for each and every spell
  • Persistent damage is explicitly modified by crits
  • Robe of the Archmagi drops the "white=good, black=evil" coding in favor of more goofy but far less Problematic dragon-themed coloration

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

2e Errata posted:

A creature called by a spell or effect gains the summoned trait. A summoned creature can’t summon other creatures, create things of value, or cast spells that require a cost. It has the minion trait. If it tries to Cast a Spell of equal or higher level than the spell that summoned it, it overpowers the summoning magic, causing its own spell to fail and the summon spell to end. Otherwise, the summoned creature uses the standard abilities for a creature of its kind. It generally attacks your enemies to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with it, you can attempt to command it, but the GM determines the degree to which it follows your commands.

Well that's a terrible idea for something that was already pretty weak.

Also worth noting, Dex-based animal companions had their AC dropped through the floor.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

gtrmp posted:

New errata for the 2e core rulebook from the 3rd printing. Mostly regular errata fixes and clarifications, but with a few wrinkles:

• Summon and minion rules are updated to match Secrets of Magic
  • Alternate form spells can use non-Strike attacks (except for Pest Form, which has it Speed doubled)
  • Sneak attack now works with unarmed ranged attacks
  • Effects with a duration of one day now instead last until your next daily preparations
  • "Wand" and "scroll" are each explicitly a single crafting formula instead of implicitly requiring a separate formula for each and every spell
  • Persistent damage is explicitly modified by crits
  • Robe of the Archmagi drops the "white=good, black=evil" coding in favor of more goofy but far less Problematic dragon-themed coloration

You missed two of the biggest changes - Nimble Companions no longer increase their Unarmored Defense and Scare to Death only kills on a Critical Failure on their save.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

The Scare to Death change definitely was needed. We blitzed through Grey Death with a party of 4 Scare to Death max charisma characters hilariously. So many people just dropped dead for no reason.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Froghammer posted:

I think Pathfinder only has 9 main outer planes to Planscapes 17.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My interest in 2e has grown over the last week or so. So I got a bunch of material on Foundry for it. But I am new to both Foundry and 2e, and was wondering how some things worked. Is anyone using Foundry and Pathfinder 2e?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’ve used it before, but only as a player, so if you’re looking for any assistance with setup I can’t help you.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

MonsterEnvy posted:

My interest in 2e has grown over the last week or so. So I got a bunch of material on Foundry for it. But I am new to both Foundry and 2e, and was wondering how some things worked. Is anyone using Foundry and Pathfinder 2e?

I'm currently running a game but I'd say I only understand about half of it so far!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MonsterEnvy posted:

I've converted a couple of our games from roll 20 to foundry and spent a pretty large amount of time messing around with the server and all the bits and pieces. What kind of questions do you have?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gwaihir posted:

I've converted a couple of our games from roll 20 to foundry and spent a pretty large amount of time messing around with the server and all the bits and pieces. What kind of questions do you have?

Well first what's an easy way to get tokens for all the monsters. The Compendiums are pretty blank. Secondly other than the beginner box is there a way to get all the maps and stuff from an adventure path in quickly even like buying it?

Also a mechanics question. I noticed that the Dragons tend to have Draconic Frenzy which lets them make three attacks. Do these attacks have the multiattack penalty?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well first what's an easy way to get tokens for all the monsters. The Compendiums are pretty blank. Secondly other than the beginner box is there a way to get all the maps and stuff from an adventure path in quickly even like buying it?

Also a mechanics question. I noticed that the Dragons tend to have Draconic Frenzy which lets them make three attacks. Do these attacks have the multiattack penalty?

If you convert a pdf using PDF to foundry it makes tokens for all the monsters in the adventure. It's an addon so just grab it and it will do all the hard work for you!

If you're making your own module I just use
https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/
And steal the pictures for various monsters

Official foundry paizo products are also here https://paizo.com/store/gaming/accessories/virtualTableTop/foundryVirtualTabletop

The old modules were converted by hand using the PDF to foundry add-on, but they've stopped since paizo is doing official releases now

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 26, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jarvisi posted:

If you convert a pdf using PDF to foundry it makes tokens for all the monsters in the adventure. It's an addon so just grab it and it will do all the hard work for you!

If you're making your own module I just use
https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/
And steal the pictures for various monsters

Official foundry paizo products are also here https://paizo.com/store/gaming/accessories/virtualTableTop/foundryVirtualTabletop

The old modules were converted by hand using the PDF to foundry add-on, but they've stopped since paizo is doing official releases now

Thanks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you own the bestiary pdfs, then yeah, the import tool will add all the graphics for you

The official adventures you can buy have everything all set up in them, maps, NPCs, walls, hazards, etc. You just buy it on paizo's (really bad) website and they give you a code to download it in foundry.

Anything with the attack trait triggers the multi attack penalty, but there are many player feats that let you avoid it in some way. Usually by doing stuff like "these attacks increase your multi attack penalty, but it doesn't apply until this action is over." That's how the fighter's double shot works- You get two attacks at -2, and then if you use your third action on a strike it would be at the full -10. Instead of just making three strikes without the feat at 0/-5/-10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gwaihir posted:

If you own the bestiary pdfs, then yeah, the import tool will add all the graphics for you

The official adventures you can buy have everything all set up in them, maps, NPCs, walls, hazards, etc. You just buy it on paizo's (really bad) website and they give you a code to download it in foundry.

Anything with the attack trait triggers the multi attack penalty, but there are many player feats that let you avoid it in some way. Usually by doing stuff like "these attacks increase your multi attack penalty, but it doesn't apply until this action is over." That's how the fighter's double shot works- You get two attacks at -2, and then if you use your third action on a strike it would be at the full -10. Instead of just making three strikes without the feat at 0/-5/-10.

Ok so if the Dragon uses Draconic Frenzy. The Multi attack penalty would apply as normal and the fourth attack they could make will be at -10 as well correct?