Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Great, now I'm getting an "unknown error" when either trying to update with the beta IPSW, or restoring to factory defaults.

Guess it's toast until 16.0.

Do you mean 15.6 final? Because the iPad Air 2 ain't getting iPadOS 16

R.I.P. it's one of my favorite iPads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Do you mean 15.6 final? Because the iPad Air 2 ain't getting iPadOS 16

R.I.P. it's one of my favorite iPads

Ha, poo poo, I forgot about that. It's pretty annoying how insanely loving slow this thing has been since like OS 13/14. Like, it's next to unusable for anything besides letting my toddler look at google images of sharks. I certainly don't use it for anything except maybe for watching the kids in the back yard in the Ring app while I make dinner or something.

Anyway, apparently mashing restore/update to retry 250 times, it eventually went through and worked. Setup even asked if I wanted to continue using the public beta track when I selected to restore from my PB1 backup.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha, poo poo, I forgot about that. It's pretty annoying how insanely loving slow this thing has been since like OS 13/14. Like, it's next to unusable for anything besides letting my toddler look at google images of sharks. I certainly don't use it for anything except maybe for watching the kids in the back yard in the Ring app while I make dinner or something.

Anyway, apparently mashing restore/update to retry 250 times, it eventually went through and worked. Setup even asked if I wanted to continue using the public beta track when I selected to restore from my PB1 backup.

I'm glad you got it working. If you run into that issue again where it errors out on the install, you might want to try a DFU restore next time.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but between the wifi issues (which may not be related to the beta) and that error installing the update, I wonder if there's a hardware issue with your iPad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm glad you got it working. If you run into that issue again where it errors out on the install, you might want to try a DFU restore next time.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but between the wifi issues (which may not be related to the beta) and that error installing the update, I wonder if there's a hardware issue with your iPad.

Yeah I thought it might be a hardware issue since it’s so old, but it didn’t start to happen until 15.6 PB1. Setup updated me to PB3, and my wifi has been connected for realsies this time and downloading my backup.

e: well poo poo, it’s happening again after I restore my backup. gently caress. This is going to be annoying as hell to reinstall and re-setup everything

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 22, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I haven't looked into Apple pencil note taking apps for awhile to know what the latest tech is. My current work flow is I write the note in Notability, it gets backed up to gdrive, and evernote maps the gdrive folder to an evernote notebook where i can then OCR search for things I wrote if I wrote decently well.

Anything better than that for a busy note taker in TYOOL 2022?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If Apple wants a 100% sure-fire way to get me to upgrade my 2020 iPad Pro, they need to add a way to disable the swipe-up-notes gesture and make it an M1+ only feature.

I will literally drop a thousand dollars to disable that loving gesture. I trigger it like three or four times a day, every day, since the day it was introduced.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

some kinda jackal posted:

If Apple wants a 100% sure-fire way to get me to upgrade my 2020 iPad Pro, they need to add a way to disable the swipe-up-notes gesture and make it an M1+ only feature.

I will literally drop a thousand dollars to disable that loving gesture. I trigger it like three or four times a day, every day, since the day it was introduced.

Hey cool I learnt a new gesture today

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm honestly shocked people don't trigger this because that's the reaction I get all the time when I rant about it.

I think it's because my iPad is in landscape mode 24/7, I hold it with both hands when consuming media, and I typically swipe up with my thumb from that specific corner of the screen. Learned this muscle memory from years of using the iPad like this, and it's so so so hard for me to change because it's just comfortable.

I am the definition of iphone4 "you're holding it wrong" argument, probably.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Settings -> General -> Gestures should give you some options, toggling off "Allow Finger to Swipe From Corner" will make it so the gesture only works with the Apple Pencil. You can also set the corner swipes to not do anything if you just want it totally disabled.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not joking when I say you have MEANINGFULLY improved my day, and quite literally made my week.

Name/link a charity and I will donate $100CAD today w/receipt.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Hey, that's really nice of you, but nah, keep your money, I was just glad to help because that used to get on my nerves too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dealer's choice: You helped my local animal shelter feed and care for their animals :)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Dealer's choice: You helped my local animal shelter feed and care for their animals :)

That's pretty cool. :hfive:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a way to keep a siri timer on top of the screen while a browser/discord/etc is running?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Buy an apple watch :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

What other iPad settings have been driving you nuts? Don’t hold back, even the smallest thing this thread will help you to the smallest detail with.

(Seriously, super nice and cool, go you).

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there a way to keep a siri timer on top of the screen while a browser/discord/etc is running?

I don't think you can keep the Siri pop-up open permanently, the best you could get would probably be opening the clock app in split-screen or slide over.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

What other iPad settings have been driving you nuts? Don’t hold back, even the smallest thing this thread will help you to the smallest detail with.

(Seriously, super nice and cool, go you).

I’m afraid I can only afford to post one problem per paycheck :D

But seriously, that was a big hitter. I can’t believe they snuck that fix in and I didn’t notice. I know I scoured settings on day one to disable it and was C R U S H E D when it wasn’t possible :|

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

I don't think you can keep the Siri pop-up open permanently, the best you could get would probably be opening the clock app in split-screen or slide over.

Darn, i was hoping for a tiny little overlay i could move to a corner, like a picture in picture stream.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Mister Facetious posted:

Darn, i was hoping for a tiny little overlay i could move to a corner, like a picture in picture stream.

Maybe with stage manager when the IPadOS 16 Beta drops next month.

And the early reminder please do not install the beta on your primary devices.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Maybe with stage manager when the IPadOS 16 Beta drops next month.

I don't have a pro

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So what do you all actually use your iPads for? I bought an iPad Air for sheet music and chord charts but obviously it's massive overkill for just that so I want to make sure I get the most I can out of it. I've been playing chess on it a bit and that's pretty fun, and I was using it for reading a bit but I already have a Kindle that I prefer. I tried using it for SA/Twitter but I love posting and typing on it is a bit tricky for me. What cool poo poo should I be doing with this thing to justify the cost to myself?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's my travel computer. I do a lot of space fart music with it, and use lightroom to edit photos while not at home. It also plays tv shows when I am at home as my desktop is single monitor.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've just got an iPad and have found myself subject to what seems to be some circular reasoning. I'm trying to sign into my google accounts - the first one went fine, I signed in, it asked me to insert my yubikey (which I can't do, I've got a regular USB one) so I selected "try another way" and it sent a notification to my phone.

The problem comes when I try to sign into another google account - it tells me to insert my key, which again I can't do, but the only other method is to obtain a code. It tells me to install Google Smart Lock, which I do, but it wants me to add the account in there to generate a code. I enter the email and password but again it tells me to either insert my key or use the app I'm currently trying to log into to generate a code.

I've got google authenticator, I've got an Android phone, I've got a Macbook pro - is there any way anyone can think of for me to sign into this account without having to go and buy a USB-C to USB adaptor for my yubikey?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

prom candy posted:

So what do you all actually use your iPads for? I bought an iPad Air for sheet music and chord charts but obviously it's massive overkill for just that so I want to make sure I get the most I can out of it. I've been playing chess on it a bit and that's pretty fun, and I was using it for reading a bit but I already have a Kindle that I prefer. I tried using it for SA/Twitter but I love posting and typing on it is a bit tricky for me. What cool poo poo should I be doing with this thing to justify the cost to myself?

I've got an 11' M1 iPad Pro. It's probably the nicest display I own, and the pixel density also means that using it in bed/held in my hands to watch stuff just as good, if not better, than watching TV on an actual television. A TV with that kind of picture quality big enough for the living room would cost some serious money, so for watching stuff alone or with a partner this is ideal.

It's also slowly replacing my laptop - my work revolves around lots of writing, and a little bit of emails, spreadsheets and research, and it's really perfect for that, when paired with a wireless keyboard and folio stand it does everything I'd need a laptop to do, in a much sleeker package with a nice interface. And I know this is counter to a lot of people's problems with iPads compared to laptops, but as someone with a terrible, ADHD level attention span who finds it pathologically hard to focus, I find it a much better desktop environment for focusing on most work tasks compared to my PC. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a macbook, but I don't, and I'm really loving using the iPad as a 'time to focus' work machine.

I also have it on hand when I'm in the office - if I've got to proofread something or do some research it's really nice to have something I can hold and read in my hands. I also take it to meetings because it's less obtrusive than a laptop, easier to share/show things to people, but is also separate from my phone, with more breathing room. And I don't want things like work emails/documents on my phone for lots of other reasons.

I still use my PC a lot, but I've barely used my laptop since getting the iPad for most other stuff work and non work - it just feels a lot better to use on the sofa or in bed, and it's blazingly fast and snappy for browsing the web, watching tv, etc. It's also taken over a lot of stuff that I would have normally done on my phone - reading the news when I'm waking up, etc.

So it's kind of taken a few things off the computer, and a few things off the phone. I'm really happy with it. If you'd like to use it more as a computer, I'd recommend looking into one of the wireless keyboards. I've got a Nuphy Air60, which comes with a cool folio designed for the iPad.

Oh and the speakers on this thing are seriously excellent. Any time I'm going somewhere where I'd normally want a portable speaker - while cooking in the kitchen, lazing in the park, etc etc, I now just grab the iPad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’ve posted a few times about my workflow. I teach remotely, mostly technology education for injured labourers. I’d say I can do 80-90% of my job on an iPad Air 4.

I also have a Bluetooth keyboard (logitech k780), Apple Pencil, and a couple of wired and Bluetooth headsets. Usually a Jabra Evolve 65. I rarely use the keyboard.

Most of the time I’m teaching 1-3 students remotely over zoom. The zoom call is on the iPad. I have some curriculum documents as PDFs or Word docs that I use in a slide over window (using Acrobat or Word apps, respectively) for reference. If I’m actively giving a lesson, usually I’m on a student’s screen while everyone watches and I just annotate that screen and explain with notes written on the screen. I’ve used zoom’s screenshot feature to send these to students afterward if they want.

For advanced stuff like logical functions in Excel, I’ll take screenshots from a windows VM I have on another machine and annotate them in Miro. I share the iPad screen and students watch this lecture on their devices. This is also how I share videos if that makes sense.

If a student needs to see a computer actively in use, I just use Jump Desktop or RDP to remote into another machine and share the screen with them. The fact that everything is scaled up for the screen and slows down a bit when you don’t have a full kb+m in front of you is a feature for my type of work.

Being an injured worker myself, I often have too much pain and have to teach mostly prone, so the iPad is life-changing for that. It also lasts over two full days without needing a charge, which is really incredible.

The rest of my job is curriculum development for the above. I could do this remoting into a windows computer but the screenshots and stuff would be a pain.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

prom candy posted:

So what do you all actually use your iPads for?

YouTube, the forums, discord, instant messaging/text chats, gamefaqs/videos/walkthroughs, SotN, recipe book, podcasts, audiobooks, music, and Zwift.

Basically all the poo poo I would already use my Mac Mini/iPhone for, but with a bigger screen and split screen app support.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 25, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

prom candy posted:

Literally everything I can. The only things I’ll go back to my computer for are coding and anything terminal heavy.

Web browsing, chatting, social media, youtube+streaming.

I think part of it is that I don’t sit at a desk. Like, at all. For me, the 11” Pro is the perfect size for my lap or the nightstand, and to carry around. My 14” MBP is really really really nice, but the form fact makes me want to not use it for casual computing.

My iPad is in landscape mode 24/7, I can probably count on two hands the number of times in the past two years I’ve purposefully put it into portrait, and the keyboard cover has been on it from day one, and is always unfolded unless I’m using it as a youtube device on my nightstand.

Of course 8-4 weekdays I’m on my work MBP and then it’s reverse — I prefer the MBP for work email, browsing, chatting. Not sure how that works, but..

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So basically I should get a keyboard case and use it as a lil laptop? I can't really use it for work since id need a fully functioning development environment. I wish I could though because it'd be great to not have to always bring my laptop when I'm taking a short trip somewhere.

I'm sitting outside right now watching the hockey game on it which is pretty nice. My laptop could do it but it would be spinning its fans and probably at 15% battery after one period.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Keyboard and a pencil. The pencil is sneaky good, especially if you use any apps with lots of sliders to fiddle with (image editing, etc).

The General
Mar 4, 2007

prom candy posted:

So what do you all actually use your iPads for?

iPad Pro 12.9" for TV watching mostly. The speakers on it are great. I also got a pencil for the times I need to take a note, like doing scores for a boardgame or playing a note taking videogame. I've also done hundreds of Picrosses.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It seems like Apple has managed to sell us a device none of us really need (unless you don’t already have a laptop and a phone).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Xabi posted:

It seems like Apple has managed to sell us a device none of us really need (unless you don’t already have a laptop and a phone).

A little reductive. It does certain things really well. A MacBook is a lovely teleprompter but I’ve used an iPad for that a few times now.

With the upcoming external display and multitasking improvements in iPadOS 16 I think my pro is going to entirely replace a home laptop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Literally no better device for reading comics/pdfs, and making digital art out there, to say nothing of the form factor and it’s comfort over laptops in many situations. You don’t “need” any device if you want to be pedantic, but I don’t know what your point is here.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

prom candy posted:

So basically I should get a keyboard case and use it as a lil laptop? I can't really use it for work since id need a fully functioning development environment. I wish I could though because it'd be great to not have to always bring my laptop when I'm taking a short trip somewhere.

I'm sitting outside right now watching the hockey game on it which is pretty nice. My laptop could do it but it would be spinning its fans and probably at 15% battery after one period.

Don’t sleep on portrait mode. For me it’s the most comfortable way to hold the thing and browse the web/read stuff.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I got my 12.9" Pro in late 2019, primarily as a remote control surface for theatre lighting and sound consoles, and to load up with video to watch on planes/trains. Think I managed to do that twice before those things stopped existing for 2 years.

I did later manage to mix an entire musical from the seats on it. It's the perfect complement to a sound console with knobs, and the immense battery life means you're completely free to roam around all day.

It's also a great shape/size for balancing on the windowsill to do Apple Fitness (TM) Yoga

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Xabi posted:

I think for most basic computery stuff a tablet is by far the most accessible and friendly device. I think about when my grandma got her first computer in like 2005 and she had to pay someone to come round once a week and literally train her to use it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

I think for most basic computery stuff a tablet is by far the most accessible and friendly device. I think about when my grandma got her first computer in like 2005 and she had to pay someone to come round once a week and literally train her to use it.

My mother could never figure out the whole left-click, double left-click, context-sensitive right-click paradigm, but she figured out smart phones pretty easily. Everything is single tap or tap and hold. Easy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Same. My mom had so much trouble with her computer and consistently called me about fixing it, but can use her iPhone and iPad like a champ. iPads are really a breath of fresh air for people who dislike or don’t understand Computers, including nicer laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
For some reason every time I go to help my mom on her macbook now I immediately try and tap the screen to do something before going "oh poo poo right it's boring"