Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zore posted:

For anyone curious about the roster,

Everyone playable from 3 Houses is in, including the Wolves and Church characters, as well as Rodrigue, Monica, Holst, Rhea, Jeralt, Gatekeeper, Anna, Sothis and Arvel

:dance:

Zore posted:

Also some additional interesting tidbits

You can recruit characters from other factions during the War phase but most are limited. Lysithea can be poached by the Empire for instance but not by the Kingdom. And some characters are only playable on certain routes and its on a sliding scale where the Kingdom only has 2 characters that can be recruited by the other factions at all (Ashe, Mercedes) while literally everyone from the Alliance can except Holst and Hilda. The Empire is somewhere in between with Caspar/Ferdinand/Monica/Manuela exclusive to them.

Most interesting part of this is Jeritza can actually be recruited into the Lions late game by Mercedes.

RIP Caspar x Hilda but Blue Lion Jeritza makes up for a lot holy poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Three Houses did not grab me, but I do love Musou. That said I feel like I should play Three Houses at least once before playing this.

EDIT: Or I may end up going in anyway. It certainly sounds intriguing from some early reviews.

Three houses is a very big game and to fully understand the story you would have to play through it 4 times. Don't force yourself to play it, but maybe consider watching a YouTube summary of the story. It's pretty out there in an enjoyable way, and by all accounts this game is going to build on that.

It's a bit zoomery but this was a pretty easy watch for me, and from my (poor) memory it does a pretty good job of explaining the most important parts of all routes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gentleman Baller posted:

Three houses is a very big game and to fully understand the story you would have to play through it 4 times. Don't force yourself to play it, but maybe consider watching a YouTube summary of the story. It's pretty out there in an enjoyable way, and by all accounts this game is going to build on that.

It's a bit zoomery but this was a pretty easy watch for me, and from my (poor) memory it does a pretty good job of explaining the most important parts of all routes.

I haven't played too far into Three Houses; only went in a couple missions into the Blue Lions path, I think they were called? Still, I do like the opening mission and the bit of the next mission after that I played from the demo and it may be enough to make me give 3H another wack.

The problem, really, is that I only have so much attention to give games these days, and the Monster Hunter expansion is out at the end of the month. In any case, the game has my interest but it will be there once I get around to it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You're probably okay playing the game twice (Blue Lion and Black Eagle paths) and you get like 90% of the story. There was not enough meat on the bone for everyone to get a full route. But still, that's a lot.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly the most surprising thing from the possible leak is (presumably very, very late game spoilers) Rhea is playable on all 3 routes. What the gently caress kinda turnaround is gonna happen for Eddy to consider her anything but a block to rest her axe in?

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 22, 2022

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The single route of Three Houses that gives you the most context would be the yellow team, but if you're feeling up to playing it twice, then the red and blue routes in either order will give you a fairly full overall impression.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played Golden Deer and Blue Lions in Three Houses and couldn't push myself to finish an Eagles run. I didn't really like the Eagles roster tbh (I didn't get that far with them in fairness), but I loved the Golden Deer campaign/characters and Blue Lions really grew on me by the end.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
All you need to know is that the crests are to blame, the head church lady is kinda a dick, and there are mole people.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tired Moritz posted:

All you need to know is that the crests are to blame, the head church lady is kinda a dick, and there are mole people.

the overarching plot being dueling conspiracies between mole people and lizard dragon people

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The Eagles characters are great but their route is dominated by Edelgard more than the other paths are by their lords.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Flytrap posted:

Honestly the most surprising thing from the possible leak is (presumably very, very late game spoilers) Rhea is playable on all 3 routes. What the gently caress kinda turnaround is gonna happen for Eddy to consider her anything but a block to rest her axe in?

Given certain mechanics I've been spoilt on, it's likely that she is a bonus character that is unlockable through renown than actually being playable in the story proper.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The Eagles characters are great but their route is dominated by Edelgard more than the other paths are by their lords.

BL is pretty heavily the Dimitri route too.

I haven’t finished Deer route but I kinda expected it to be similar with Claude.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly for 3 Houses there's like... 8 plot points that you need to get the whole story. Most of the writing is character work and not something you really need to know to get into 3 Hopes.

3 Houses plot spoilers

1) 1000+ years ago dragons came from space and landed on earth. They ended up getting into a big all out war against an advanced civilization who wasn't keen on 'alien dragons ruling the world' and almost all of them were wiped out including Sothis their leader and super-powerful dragon.

2) During the war people carved up dragon corpses into super weapons and did experiments to imbue humans with their powers in the form of 'crests' which give them super powers.

3) Sothis' daughter, Seiros, manages to win the war. She recruits over most of the lieutenants who got crests and establishes a religion worshipping her mother as a goddess and teaching that crests and the corpse-weapons are her blessing. These crests are something that can be inherited. The families and their descendants end up as the nobility despite the lieutenants who got the crests being a huge part of that whole 'committed genocide and hacked up the corpses for power'.

4) Skip a thousand years and Seiros is now going by Rhea and is the pope still. Lots of tension brewing between the various nations and the descendants of the ancient advanced civilization are on the verge of finally making their move when the game starts. Also Rhea's been doing experiments on people to try to bring her mom back to life.

5) These experiments led to Byleth! Who has her mom in their head and has time powers through that. Rhea's goal is to get Sothis to overwrite Byleth and come back to life.

6) Meanwhile the ancient advanced civilization is about to make its move to overthrow Rhea using Edelgard as their cat's paw. She's been horribly experimented on and is at least partially under their control, but she also thinks getting rid of Rhea is a good thing so she's going along with them even though she's also planning on attacking them after.

7) White Clouds happens aka you do dumb school poo poo until Edelgard finally attacks the Monastery and then things start fracturing out based on which route you're playing. But essentially no matter what the continent is in a 3 way war now.

8) The game ends with your chosen country winning in some way. Edelgard or Dimitri (or both!) always end up dead. Claude can always survive because the war is barely relevant to him. Rhea dies or steps down as pope and the advanced civilization evil people are either taken out or uh the player never realizes they exist and they just sort of keep on keeping on.

Mokinokaro posted:

Dimitri arguably dominates the Lion route more than anyone else. Especially since literally the only throughline for the route is about him as a character.

Edelgard dominates more of the game than the others since she's the only one who's relevant on every route, but she probably plays a smaller role in Crimson Flower than Dimitri does in Azure Moon. And the game doesn't character assassinate half her house to accomodate that like

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 22, 2022

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zore posted:

or uh the player never realizes they exist and they just sort of keep on keeping on.

Technically true, but Hapi's ending indicate that they do not survive even then, and all of their most powerful leaders were killed off earlier than usual including the guy who is the one in charge of their nuke system, so the remnants were forced to rally around Edelgard for that route as their one final chance at seeing their plans realized.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

BL is pretty heavily the Dimitri route too.

I haven’t finished Deer route but I kinda expected it to be similar with Claude.

Dimitri embracing the edge is good times tho.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All of the Lords dominate the story of their route because the plot is written with the assumption that every unit but them and maybe one sidekick can be dead. This isn't New Vegas with a huge branching narrative and multiple ways to finish each quest or anything like that.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 22, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Deer route is actually basically the church route, with Claude asking questions instead of Seteth volunteering information, and like one single nod to Claude secretly being the crown prince of Almyra. The big difference is that you learn a different horrible secret about Rhea depending on route. On the Church route you learn that she's been experimenting on the cardinals of Garreg Mach doing crest shard poo poo, when they all turn into beasts and attack you, while on the Deer route, you learn that the ten heroes were actually Nemesis' cadre of bandits, and the reason she rewrote history to make them champions is because the dragon people were cruel tyrants and humanity saw the genocide of Rhea's people as a good thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also it's significantly better because it's based around Claude, who is very good and cool, rather than Byleth, who is a character so boring they wrote a plot device to excuse them from having any personality.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Deer route is actually basically the church route, with Claude asking questions instead of Seteth volunteering information, and like one single nod to Claude secretly being the crown prince of Almyra. The big difference is that you learn a different horrible secret about Rhea depending on route. On the Church route you learn that she's been experimenting on the cardinals of Garreg Mach doing crest shard poo poo, when they all turn into beasts and attack you, while on the Deer route, you learn that the ten heroes were actually Nemesis' cadre of bandits, and the reason she rewrote history to make them champions is because the dragon people were cruel tyrants and humanity saw the genocide of Rhea's people as a good thing.
Well, Rhea never actually says that last bit, she just talks about Nemesis and the Elites killing the Nabateans. Some degree of reading between the lines of what Rhea wasn't saying and what her religion's canon take on Nemesis is ("hey Rhea, who were those 'wicked gods' that Nemesis saved humanity from before he became corrupt and Seiros had to kill him?"), or just relying on WoG that lays it out explicitly is required to get the "Nabatean rulers that humans hated" detail.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 22, 2022

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
For those wondering if there is a free mode or something that lets you replay past missions. Once you beat the mission the demo stops on you unlock the ability to play old missions with anyone you recruited though I don't know if that is across routes once you beat the game and do new game plus.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man I just cannot figure out archers in this game and that's going to be a problem for my Golden Deer playthrough. Any tips for aiming better?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man I just cannot figure out archers in this game and that's going to be a problem for my Golden Deer playthrough. Any tips for aiming better?

Get a range+ bow and suddenly all their moves feel a lot better.

Unfortunately I've only found one and it required being on hard mode using appraisal and getting lucky.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Two Three Houses quibbles to elaborate on.

The 10 Elites are never stated to be on Seiros's side, only ever on Nemesis's.

Hapi's AM endings in ENG were (nearly word-for-word) copypasted over from her SS/VW endings despite her AM JP being different. In AM, the TWSITD attack is much more devastating and they aren't finished off, which is collaborated by the Constance/Balthus AM ending.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Hilda is the best and I really want to see (leaked info) her supports with her brother. I really liked that when you get deep into VW it turns out that she's actually incredibly competent and it will be interesting to see if Holst lets her get there if he's around.

HIL-DA! HIL-DA!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What's important when it comes to Holst is what his warrior special line is. If he doesn't have "I think that enemy got the point" among his lines I will be incredibly disappointed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

What's important when it comes to Holst is what his warrior special line is. If he doesn't have "I think that enemy got the point" among his lines I will be incredibly disappointed.

I didn't realize he was voiced by SungWon Cho. Lmao, though I doubt we'll get any of the top quality Archibald memes here.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Eimi posted:

I could have sworn the name under that spoiler would have been a different one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Is this going to get a midnight release?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Via some googling I found a site that says it's a midnight release but I can't find anything confirming it that's midnight on the 24th Japan time, or EST, or if it's based your local time zone and so some will get it earlier than others, etc.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I ordered a physical copy cause I just like doing that for console games so I am just furiously following the tracker.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

I ordered a physical copy cause I just like doing that for console games so I am just furiously following the tracker.

My own order was delayed, but I know to expect it on 28th of June, so I'm not waiting too long either way.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Did any of the leaks touch upon how/when we can recruit the Ashen Wolves? Asking because my adoration for Constance is second only to Eimi’s love for Edelgard

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Did any of the leaks touch upon how/when we can recruit the Ashen Wolves? Asking because my adoration for Constance is second only to Eimi’s love for Edelgard

Probably. Not going too deep into real game leaks but the demo datamine had everyone's initial join class and level posted two days ago. Constance joins level 10 on SB; 41 on AG and 30 on GW. So probably right after the demo for SB and nearly endgame for AG and middle game for GW.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

McTimmy posted:

Probably. Not going too deep into real game leaks but the demo datamine had everyone's initial join class and level posted two days ago. Constance joins level 10 on SB; 41 on AG and 30 on GW. So probably right after the demo for SB and nearly endgame for AG and middle game for GW.

Wonderful, fingers crossed

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Is there a postgame free mode where you can use all the characters, or like a new game plus?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MatchaZed posted:

Is there a postgame free mode where you can use all the characters, or like a new game plus?

We don't know yet IIRC.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

MatchaZed posted:

While I don't know if there is a postgame free mode I am pretty sure there is a new game plus and once you beat the mission that ends the demo you unlock an option to play previously compelted missions with any character you have unlocked which is probably the games equivalent to mission mode.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i've heard some vague rumors of potentially very endgame leaks (i've not bothered to look too deeply because i dont want confirmation one way or another) and I heard rumblings of nemesis!claude? so I hope he gets to realize his dream of cutting a mountain in half with the Sword of the Creator™

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

i've heard some vague rumors of potentially very endgame leaks (i've not bothered to look too deeply because i dont want confirmation one way or another) and I heard rumblings of nemesis!claude? so I hope he gets to realize his dream of cutting a mountain in half with the Sword of the Creator™

I hope (not actually a confirmation spoiler)Claude going to war with Hilda somehow is what ends up being true because what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I love Shamir's explanation for why she's working for Claude. "Because I walked that way after leaving Garreg Mach."