Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's all great, because the head of the Federal Reserve explains that we need 5% unemployment for 3 years in order to tame inflation.

Wasn't that Larry Summers, the former treasury sec? I don't think the Fed has said that they are hoping for higher unemployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Way late but the thing is with the Buzz Lightyear cartoon is that Disney had buried it because of stupid office politics reasons since it was apparently made without the Pixar guys' input, and they seem to be genuinely taken off guard that people remember it and ask questions about it, so the response is as incoherent as their overall strategy with the Star Wars movies.

Disney just can't do sci-fi apparently.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

lmao

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So the response is as incoherent as their overall strategy with the Star Wars movies.

Disney just can't do sci-fi apparently.

I thought they did just fine right up until "you're a Palpatine". I guess they felt that nerd-pandering was more important than actually telling a story.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Bugsy posted:

Seeing how this thread touches on crypto a lot, this made me laugh.

https://twitter.com/StephenMLangton/status/1539328481305034752

This is hilarious because snoop will show up to literally anything if you pay him. He was at a corporate christmas party i was at one time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Good Citizen posted:

This is hilarious because snoop will show up to literally anything if you pay him. He was at a corporate christmas party i was at one time

He probably costs more and the people hosting this just lost like 80% of the claimed values of their NFTs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bargearse posted:

I thought they did just fine right up until "you're a Palpatine". I guess they felt that nerd-pandering was more important than actually telling a story.

I don’t know what you are talking about I don’t think anyone wanted that. And as far as I know if you want to pander it’s got to be something people want

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know what you are talking about I don’t think anyone wanted that. And as far as I know if you want to pander it’s got to be something people want

A small but very loud group of hardcore fans weren't happy that Rey's parents were alcoholic junk traders, and I guess JJ Abrams thought that was the prevailing opinion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like 'your parents were nobodies' was particularly satisfying or even coherent given all the implications and subtext over Rey's parentage in TFA. But the whole trilogy is basically at war with itself and the concept of context and continuity start to finish.

I know the obsession with focus grouping everything to death is at odds with any kind of long term planning or overall coherent themes, but really, 'We probably should have had a plan' was amazing but not surprising.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like 'your parents were nobodies' was particularly satisfying or even coherent given all the implications and subtext over Rey's parentage in TFA. But the whole trilogy is basically at war with itself and the concept of context and continuity start to finish.

I know the obsession with focus grouping everything to death is at odds with any kind of long term planning or overall coherent themes, but really, 'We probably should have had a plan' was amazing but not surprising.

It was very satisfying. I held my breath nervous as to what stupid character they would tack on to her character and was so utterly relieved that she was her own person.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

The main problem is JJ Abrams always plays it safe, which is exactly what was needed for The Force Awakens and the 2009 Star Trek reboot, but for Rise of Skywalker it just came across as an attempt at a totally unnecessary course correction.

Still, there was a lot I liked in TROS, it just didn't stick the landing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I liked when the Emperor dropped the bass on that movie theater sound system.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, Steam reviews are social media, right? Because they're reacting in the exact way you expect to a game all about the trolley problem.

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1539454770225852417?t=2XmrknR3d2ICJJrAJwUBBQ&s=19

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Cleretic posted:

So, Steam reviews are social media, right? Because they're reacting in the exact way you expect to a game all about the trolley problem.

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1539454770225852417?t=2XmrknR3d2ICJJrAJwUBBQ&s=19

I would opt to fix the trolley's brakes before the accident

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jesus wept.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1538970467880554496?s=20&t=8sBFmED5JJkpvIj5Ax07rg

Their first example is a man worried about missing his stag do. Not his actual marriage, just the night where he gets black out drunk, sexually assaults a stripper then vomits in a dumpster.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skwirl posted:

Their first example is a man worried about missing his stag do. Not his actual marriage, just the night where he gets black out drunk, sexually assaults a stripper then vomits in a dumpster.

Be fair, that's the proudest moment of most British men's lives.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Skwirl posted:

Jesus wept.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1538970467880554496?s=20&t=8sBFmED5JJkpvIj5Ax07rg

Sounds like those people should be pressuring their government to make more concessions amd end the strike

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There simply just wasn't enough time to make a better movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBExyfw8mXk&t=789s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RareAcumen posted:

There simply just wasn't enough time to make a better movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBExyfw8mXk&t=789s

:lol: come the gently caress on it was the last film of a trilogy

NB: I have not seen the last two films of the trilogy and so I don't have any opinions on if they're good or bad, but if that's an actual excuse people are making it's hysterical.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kinda feel like they should have had an overall arc preplanned for their trilogy if they were operating on such a tight time schedule. Lord of the Rings, and all those YA novel based movies could do what they did was because they were based on pre-written series. I'm not saying they needed to have final scripts for all three films before shooting the first, but should have had a general plan for all three before they started shooting the first. Unless someone digs up authenticated, dated studio notes, you will not convince me Palpatine was gonna be the bad guy at the end of the trilogy until after Last Jedi came out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I still can't believe they decided to make what was hoped to be a multi-billion dollar total revitalisation of Star Wars, and they just decided to wing it.

I'm not saying write all 3 scripts at the same time but Jesus Christ figure out your major plot beats and where the gently caress you're going with this story in advance.

Deptfordx has a new favorite as of 09:26 on Jun 22, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deptfordx posted:

I still can't believe they decided to make what was hoped to be a multi-billion dollar total revitalisation of Star Wars, and they just decided to wing it.

I'm not saying write all 3 scripts at the same time but Jesus Christ figure out your major plot beats and where the gently caress you're going with this story in advance.

Say what you will about the prequels, they at least told a coherent (or at least unified) story from beginning to end.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, even if they planned it out completely from the get go, didn't Rian Johnson come onto Ep 8 and be a little pissbaby and change everything JJ Abrams had planned out, and then when Abrams came onto Ep 9 he doubled down on being a pissbaby and changed everything that Rian had changed, but even then not following what he himself originally planned during Ep 7?

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, even if they planned it out completely from the get go, didn't Rian Johnson come onto Ep 8 and be a little pissbaby and change everything JJ Abrams had planned out, and then when Abrams came onto Ep 9 he doubled down on being a pissbaby and changed everything that Rian had changed, but even then not following what he himself originally planned during Ep 7?

No, none of that happened. What the gently caress are you talking about? They wouldn't have hired Rian Johnson without having in depth talks about his ideas and signing off on them. JJ Abrams only directed Rise of Skywalker (I kinda bet they'd thought of the title The Last Jedi pretty early, Rise of Skywalker definitely wasn't the title of that film until after they started shooting) because they fired Colin Treverow after Book of Henry being a completely insane film.

Also, the concept that JJ Abrams had a plan for what was supposed to happen after The Force Awakens means you've never watched Lost or Alias.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Say what you will about the prequels, they at least told a coherent (or at least unified) story from beginning to end.

Even that's being generous with the prequels or requires some work on the part of fans to expand on threads not quite connected in the actual films. I wonder if in 15 years kids who watched the sequel trilogy will be explaining their subversive brilliance and meta storytelling compared to the star wars released when they're adults.

I'm not saying you're defending the prequels here, but "the prequels were good actually," is becoming a thing, mostly from people who had them as their first star wars films.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

Even that's being generous with the prequels or requires some work on the part of fans to expand on threads not quite connected in the actual films. I wonder if in 15 years kids who watched the sequel trilogy will be explaining their subversive brilliance and meta storytelling compared to the star wars released when they're adults.

I'm not saying you're defending the prequels here, but "the prequels were good actually," is becoming a thing, mostly from people who had them as their first star wars films.

Yeah, I won't have a real problem with that. Mostly because I've gotten old enough that I know all kid's opinions are bullshit and the only good children's entertainment was what I watched when I was a kid.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

As far as I know this is just a fan theory to explain why the movies were bad. Both the people were okay with what the other was doing, and it ended up like that anyway

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ziv Zulander posted:

As far as I know this is just a fan theory to explain why the movies were bad. Both the people were okay with what the other was doing, and it ended up like that anyway

Oh well, good to know. Thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

It's bullshit conspiracy stuff on the level of "Everyone from the first Avengers film thinks Brie Larson is a stuck up bitch and hated working with her in Endgame"

Edit: I think Disney made drastic decisions about Episode 12 based on perceived internet reactions and JJ Abrams went along with it because he was a professional and they were paying him money, but movie studios should realize most people don't read twitter, don't give a poo poo about memes. Twitter convinced Sony to rerelease Morbius, and they made like less than 1% of what their initial run was, probably cost them money, definitely cost theaters money because it took up a screening that could have been used for a movie people actually wanted to see. Studio execs should not pay attention to youtube or twitter.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 10:13 on Jun 22, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Coolness Averted posted:

I wasn't trying to say they were good, just that they told a story with a beginning, middle, and end that was plotted out in advance and vaguely coherent, even if it sucked.

There were definitely lots of dangling plot threads and things that didn't make sense but the trilogy still seemed like a coherent whole.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Jun 22, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ziv Zulander posted:

Yeah, it's much more likely the studio just didn't care, it was star wars it was gonna be a blockbuster and give them a bunch of new toys to sell. The only reason Solo made them skittish is it didn't meet their box office expectations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I'm sorry I contributed to the Star Wars detail.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
STAR WARS

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Literally the only thing the new trilogy did was the somehow palpatine returned. The greatest line in cinema

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

the new trilogy gave us this and i refuse to believe this isn’t canon

https://youtu.be/1sFbLppuhhs

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Splash Attack posted:

the new trilogy gave us this and i refuse to believe this isn’t canon

https://youtu.be/1sFbLppuhhs

Lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Literally the only thing the new trilogy did was the somehow palpatine returned. The greatest line in cinema

In Fortnite

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Not having anything planned out worked out for the original trilogy.

A New Hope works perfectly fine as a standalone film because that's what it was written and shot as.

Lucas' spiel about he had everything planned from the beginning is obviously just him talking poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not having anything planned out worked out for the original trilogy.

A New Hope works perfectly fine as a standalone film because that's what it was written and shot as.

Lucas' spiel about he had everything planned from the beginning is obviously just him talking poo poo.

It wasn’t planned out but it was under the direction of one guy. The obvious problem with having no plan is whatever director was on charge just did what he wanted. Which would be fine if they were in control for everything but they weren’t