Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Everyone posted:

Because Dweezil and Moon Unit were taken?

His sister is named after Skarlet O'Hare and at least Obi-Wan freed his slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lammasu posted:

His sister is named after Skarlet O'Hare and at least Obi-Wan freed his slaves.

Did he? After he and Qui-Gon bought Anakin as a child slave (and yeah, I'm starting to get SMG's point that the Jedi were evil), did Obi-Wan even tell Anakin, "You're free to pursue your own destiny?" Or did he just decide "Now that I kind of own you, I've decided that you're going to be my Padawan?"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They literally won him in a game of chance, Anakin is never freed at any point

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The Jedi sucked. This is known.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWb7fLLf6pY

:allears:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

A.o.D. posted:

The Jedi sucked. This is known.

They constantly hosed things up, for huge amounts of people and then just went into hiding rather than doing anything about it.

At this point everyone trained by Yoda's training lineage has a 50% chance of being a sith lord.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is the Jedi being terrible something Star Wars actually thinks or is it just something fans have latched onto?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Is the Jedi being terrible something Star Wars actually thinks or is it just something fans have latched onto?

It's in the text, but the text is written and produced by different people with different levels of reverence for the Jedi, so there's a lot of "Well, it's complicated" in there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In a more cohesive sequel trilogy that was less reverential of the original material Luke would probably have formed a new Force order that didn't use the Jedi name or iconography because he recognized the faults within that order, and that aspect of the franchise could have moved beyond the Jedi/Sith binary. Not because it needs to move beyond Light/Dark side, but because there can be other organizations and views on that binary beyond those of the Jedi and Sith specifically.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

TV IV > MCU TV: CIVIL WAR? MORE LIKE STAR WARS!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I want this show to go on forever

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Could interpret the prophecy business about bringing balance to the force in terms of the light side having been the unbalanced side. The sith just kinda stepped right into the system the Jedi created.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

live with fruit posted:

Have you ever watched a Star Wars, of any kind,

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The prequel trilogy is pretty straightforward in its depiction of Jedi as clueless religious boobs who get swindled & hoodwinked by the most comically obvious villain of all time and besides that it’s a monastic cult that participated in slavery and politics when it suits them. That’s not any EU books or animated Tv shows, just the straight up Star Wars films themselves.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

This is the kind of pure joy that is an antidote to, well, Star Wars.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bleck posted:

Have you ever watched a Star Wars, of any kind,

I've seen Star Wars. The original trilogy starts with Luke wanting to be a Jedi and ends with him proudly declaring himself a Jedi. I haven't seen The Last Jedi or The Rise of Skywalker but I'm under the impression that Rey also wants to be a Jedi. Seems like a lot of people want to be Jedi.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

live with fruit posted:

I've seen Star Wars. The original trilogy starts with Luke wanting to be a Jedi and ends with him proudly declaring himself a Jedi.

The moment when Luke proudly declares himself to be a Jedi is the same moment in which he rejects the points of view of the only two Jedi he's ever met, and he was right to do so.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bleck posted:

The moment when Luke proudly declares himself to be a Jedi is the same moment in which he rejects the points of view of the only two Jedi he's ever met, and he was right to do so.

Wasn't he rejecting the Emperor?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

This show is just so full of color and life. It's joyful. I love it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

live with fruit posted:

Wasn't he rejecting the Emperor?

The Emperor was encouraging him to murder Darth Vader, opining it would turn him to the dark side. Note that this is also what Obi-Wan and Yoda wanted him to do.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bleck posted:

The Emperor was encouraging him to murder Darth Vader, opining it would turn him to the dark side. Note that this is also what Obi-Wan and Yoda wanted him to do.

He's also rejecting the Emperor specifically because he has emotional ties to Vader and believes a Force user having emotional ties is a good thing in general, as opposed to Obi Wan and Yoda, who tried to teach him that a Jedi should be without them and above them.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
None of this tells me, casual viewer, that I'm supposed to think the Jedi are bad. Especially since Luke celebrates with Yoda and Obi-Wan at the party.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

tsob posted:

He's also rejecting the Emperor specifically because he has emotional ties to Vader and believes a Force user having emotional ties is a good thing in general, as opposed to Obi Wan and Yoda, who tried to teach him that a Jedi should be without them and above them.

:hmmyes: Yeah. I know the general consensus is that "the Jedi maybe weren't all that great" is something that the prequels invented, but I think what information the original trilogy communicates about them is enough to come to the same conclusion.

live with fruit posted:

None of this tells me, casual viewer,

If you're too casual to think about movies, who cares what you think about movies?

That maybe sounds snippier than I intend, but I just never understand the argument that "the art must not be saying this because you'd have to think about it"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

None of this tells me, casual viewer, that I'm supposed to think the Jedi are bad. Especially since Luke celebrates with Yoda and Obi-Wan at the party.

Counterpoint; I'm a casual viewer too, and don't even particularly like ANY of the Star Wars films, Original Trilogy, Prequel or Sequel. I've never even seen 1/3rd of them, having gotten bored of the prequels with Attack of the Clones and not finding The Force Awakens engaging enough to bother with either The Last Jedi or The Rise of Skywalker. I mostly like Star Wars for a few of the older games, books, comics and some of the animated shows rather than the films, or even any of the newer live action shows (Obi-Wan is the only one I've even watched all of so far and I doubt I'll watch a second season if it comes out). Casual viewer that I am though, I still think the films communicate that, and that's based on memories of them from 25 years or more ago.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bleck posted:

:hmmyes: Yeah. I know the general consensus is that "the Jedi maybe weren't all that great" is something that the prequels invented, but I think what information the original trilogy communicates about them is enough to come to the same conclusion.

If you're too casual to think about movies, who cares what you think about movies?

That maybe sounds snippier than I intend, but I just never understand the argument that "the art must not be saying this because you'd have to think about it"

Casual Star Wars fan. Yeesh.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It you’ve only ever seen the original trilogy then Jedi are good. The other 6 movies are where they flesh the Jedi out

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's funny to say in an MCU thread but new Star Wars seems impenetrable. I watched one of the recap videos and they were talking about references to comics and video games.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Y'all shut up about Star Wars and watch the colorful wedding dancing again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWb7fLLf6pY

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I hope they do the "Yummy infidel meat" seen from the comics. Wait, that sounded bad.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lammasu posted:

I hope they do the "Yummy infidel meat" seen from the comics. Wait, that sounded bad.

I'm sure Brian has been called worse names.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just watched Doctor Strange. I wish that one particular scene involved a chainsaw

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How the hell is this thread somehow still Star Wars chat?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Is Moon Knight going to get a Season 2?

Will Venom or Morbius be in Season 2 of Moon Knight?

Is Blade going to be in Eternals 2?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

DrPaper posted:

Is Moon Knight going to get a Season 2?

Will Venom or Morbius be in Season 2 of Moon Knight?

Is Blade going to be in Eternals 2?

Yes, no, no? Nothing's been announced but Moon Knight ends on a cliffhanger. Another season seems presumable.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 22, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rarity posted:

How the hell is this thread somehow still Star Wars chat?

The latest MCU show is good so the thread has to find other things to fight about.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh neat Clan Destines, that is a deep cut

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Clan Destine are full of poo poo, they already lied to Kamala about their intentions and the arm they ripped the bangle off of was a loving Kree arm. They are a Kree offshoot/experiment/sleeper cell, like the Inhumans, really feel like the djinn angle is a red herring

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ep was good, Kamala's stretchy punch power looked fine, the dance scene ruled, Bruno was much better this week, I hope Nakia's not too mad :([/spoler]

Firebert posted:

[spoiler]the arm they ripped the bangle off of was a loving Kree arm

Yeah it was real weird how none of them commented on that

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I WAS FUCKIN’ RIGHT ABOUT THE DJINN ANCESTRY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Episode 3 was so freaking good. I am sad I have to wait another week for the next episode, I want to watch it right now.

Maybe I can understand people waiting for the series to be over to start watching it.