Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Just test drove a Lariat Lightning. Compared to my Model 3 Performance, it's way quieter and the ride quality is much better overall. The Lightning is still a heavy truck so you really notice it in turns. The interior space is enormous, and I can't wait to take a road trip once I get mine.

If you already own an EV you'll already be used to the acceleration but it still pulls pretty hard at speeds greater than 75 mph.

I feel light the weight, sound level, and "ride quality" are all tied together, generally, but I'm only really experienced with bicycles in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just going to add that I drove from Atlanta to Texas, 720 miles, and paid $57.84 for electrons. That’s like, 12 gallons worth of gas these days.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

Just going to add that I drove from Atlanta to Texas, 720 miles, and paid $57.84 for electrons. That’s like, 12 gallons worth of gas these days.

12 gallons of gas has enough energy to move my Model 3 for 1,800 miles!

If there were a way to get 100% of the energy out of the gas.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

PenisMonkey posted:

I drove 950 miles from Chicago to North Carolina, $77.46 in supercharger costs, plus $5.38 ($20 annoyance above) from ChargePoint.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I just took a closer look at the Kia EV6, and I noticed that only the AWD models offer a heated steering wheel. Which is no good for me because a heated steering wheel is one of my non-negotiable must-have features for my next car, and AWD is something I wouldn;t get nearly enough use out of to justify compromising range. Guess that leaves Nissan, Hyundai, and Tesla.

PenisMonkey posted:

And my Prius would burn about 18 gallons of gas over that distance, and I'm pretty sure you often pay less for electrons when they're not coming out of a high-powered public charging station. Interesting...

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Cockmaster posted:

And my Prius would burn about 18 gallons of gas over that distance, and I'm pretty sure you often pay less for electrons when they're not coming out of a high-powered public charging station. Interesting...

Are you suggesting I did a 720 mile road trip in a day without using DCFC?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I was able to put 500 down on a fully loaded 22 Bolt EUV that will get to my dealer in either 2 weeks or two months. Assuming it doesn't feel like garbage to drive I'll hopefully have an EV for my commuter soonish.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Eyes Only posted:

I thought tesla showing it in wh/mi was a stupid move, but kwh/100km is somehow even more obnoxious. Miles or km per kwh seems like it'd be the intuitive way of showing this but apparently EV manufacturers disagree.

For the sake of comparison, this works out to 348 wh/mi.

It's intuitive and familiar in Europe, where the "distance per unit energy" measurement is very rarely used. Energy consumption is always measured as unit of energy per unit of useful work you get for that energy. There's fuel consumption per distance of course, but also fuel consumption per hour for things like boat and aircraft engines as well as for diesel gensets. Household appliances like laundry machines and dishwashers are always labeled with energy consumption per cycle and typical consumption per annum, and so on. When you buy a home the real estate agent usually provides an estimate for energy consumption per annum as well.

I agree that the 100km distance is rather arbitrary, but being consistent with the established measurement for ICE fuel consumption is good because it makes direct fuel cost comparisons easier (just multiply by the cost of gas and the cost of electricity respectively and there you go).

Russian Bear posted:

Can't wait for the non american folks to chime in to say why /100km is the better way to measure something. It's not

If you want to compare energy costs, then energy consumption (or I guess energy intensity if you want to be pedantic) is the appropriate metric to use. It's not a "better" metric, it's a question of what you're trying to use it for.

For the purposes of consumer education though, familiarity is arguably more important than technical correctness, which is why we get things like MPGe. It's a very handwavy unit but I'd say it definitely helps consumers make better decisions.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 22, 2022

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

PneumonicBook posted:

I was able to put 500 down on a fully loaded 22 Bolt EUV that will get to my dealer in either 2 weeks or two months. Assuming it doesn't feel like garbage to drive I'll hopefully have an EV for my commuter soonish.

I haven't driven the EUV, but I have a Bolt now and honestly really love the little guy. The top end model is quite nice and it has enough power to feel fun to drive.

The crazy thing is that 18 months ago I did a lease takeover and convinced the guy to pay the transfer fee so I've been paying $240/month for the car. I checked the buyout price and it was only $19000, so I bought the car. The cheapest 2019 Bolt for sale in my area is like $27k and it has 60k miles on it where mine has 12k.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

The Polish Pirate posted:

I haven't driven the EUV, but I have a Bolt now and honestly really love the little guy. The top end model is quite nice and it has enough power to feel fun to drive.

The crazy thing is that 18 months ago I did a lease takeover and convinced the guy to pay the transfer fee so I've been paying $240/month for the car. I checked the buyout price and it was only $19000, so I bought the car. The cheapest 2019 Bolt for sale in my area is like $27k and it has 60k miles on it where mine has 12k.

Yea I know a couple of people that have one and like them but one of them got lucky and did an MSRP swap into a better model so I suppose he got lucky.

My buddy at the dealership called me and said that his manager is putting a 5k markup on any loaded Bolt EUV with supercruise that they get in, but he can get it down to 2500 markup.

I normally wouldnt pay over MSRP for it but doing a 500 mile search gives me approximately one other loaded EUV and it's marked up too. Not sure if I'll end up just paying it or ordering a 23 from one of my local dealers that told me it would be MSRP. The sales manager at my buddies dealership told him "If he does that he's going to lose out on the free level 2 install and he won't get it for 6 months" but my dude, a level 2 install is not $2500 and even if it was the program only covers $1000 anyway. I hate dealerships.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tangent, if it can be tolerated:

How did we get into a situation where so many states have obligate dealership middleman laws?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Potato Salad posted:

How did we get into a situation where so many states have obligate dealership middleman laws?

gotta protect our local businesses against their own obsoletion otherwise all those hard working car salesmen would be out of work

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Potato Salad posted:

There's also a strong argument to be made that car manufacturers aren't interested in dealing with Joe Public, they're interested in selling floorplans to dealers all at once and then making money by providing financing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Safety Dance posted:

There's also a strong argument to be made that car manufacturers aren't interested in dealing with Joe Public, they're interested in selling floorplans to dealers all at once and then making money by providing financing.

This has the side effect of having massive lots full of inventory that isn’t moving from time to time. I doubt any large mfg’s want to be in this business anymore, at least that’s what Ford has openly said.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would be really stoked to do Ford's dealer free model whenever that shows up. And if there were any vehicles to buy. So probably never! :sigh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok i did some napkin math (found a site) and my EV6 so far has gotten me around 275wh/mi or so. Number seems to be slowly going up now that it’s not as cold. Will be nice to see how it fares this summer.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ok i did some napkin math (found a site) and my EV6 so far has gotten me around 275wh/mi or so. Number seems to be slowly going up now that it’s not as cold. Will be nice to see how it fares this summer.

2.75 kwh/mi is pretty bad. My BMW I4 gets 3.3 when I'm really having fun and 3.9 when I'm driving conservatively (happens, rarely).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

2.75 kwh/mi is pretty bad.

That would be horrendous but that’s not what he’s getting, I think you’re confusing mi/kWh with wh/mile.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
after further inspection, i conclude that these various measurements are bad and we should just measure it in ehogheads

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

It should be Watts / MPH (or Watts / KPH).

Anybody who tells you a car has an energy use per distance is being at best ignorant about the realities of drag.

Who's ready to sign my petition

I was joking when I wrote this but I'm coming around to this actually being the best measure.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Potato Salad posted:

New car dealership owners are often the richest people in a town. Get thirty or turkey of of them together across a state and you've got one hell of a lobbying group.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

That would be horrendous but that’s not what he’s getting, I think you’re confusing mi/kWh with wh/mile.

Yeah that poo poo threw me off when i first tried looking it up. My mi/kWh is 3.6 for the life of the car but I’m averaging over 4 these past few weeks of nicer weather.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Another problem with a lot of the EPA/etc ratings is that temperature is a huge component in EV consumption:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

Are you suggesting I did a 720 mile road trip in a day without using DCFC?

I was referring to the overall cost per mile of owning an EV - for most people, DCFC would account for only a small percentage of overall charging.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah that poo poo threw me off when i first tried looking it up. My mi/kWh is 3.6 for the life of the car but I’m averaging over 4 these past few weeks of nicer weather.

I noticed on my recent road trip in an EV6, going roughly 74mph, all highway miles, it was getting around 3.3 per charging leg. The interesting part was the car had been taken to the dealership earlier for some recall software update thing, and they topped up the tire pressure to around 44psi and that first leg got 3.6. The door said it should be at 38 though, so my father wanted to take some air out as he was worried seeing it get up to 46psi as the tires heated up on the road, but after letting some air out we only ever got around 3.3.

I don't know if thats all attributable to the tire pressure, or temperature changes later in the day/wind changes were mainly why, but it was pretty consistent at 3.3 or so the rest of the driving so it doesn't seem like it would be wind/temp effects.

Its fascinating how much an EV starts to make you really pay attention to every last drop of efficiency.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

2.75 kwh/mi is pretty bad. My BMW I4 gets 3.3 when I'm really having fun and 3.9 when I'm driving conservatively (happens, rarely).

That doesn't make any sense.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cockmaster posted:

I was referring to the overall cost per mile of owning an EV - for most people, DCFC would account for only a small percentage of overall charging.

idk what death cab for cutie has to do with efficiency but these acronyms are makin’ George confused!

Is there an ev-cheat sheet people use to get up to speed?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

idk what death cab for cutie has to do with efficiency but these acronyms are makin’ George confused!

Is there an ev-cheat sheet people use to get up to speed?

Depends on what you want to cheat on. You could always just ask us 😉

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Cockmaster posted:

Ok, I was referring to how much it cost me to road trip 720 miles and not overall which is why I was confused by your statement.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I ordered some wheels to replace the 20s. Was gonna go with 18s but fell in love with some 19s. Will still be way lighter than the factory boat anchors plus a little more sidewall could save me some headaches and save me some tire cost.

Not sure what tire I'm going to go with though. Seems like most people interested in performance go with 265/35R19s so 30mm wider and calculate out to 0.2" shorter (0.65%) but if I want to avoid range loss I could go with 235/40R19 so same width but 0.28% shorter.

Michelin PS 4S are 1364 for a set for the narrower tire, 1608 for the fatters.

Or I could get Hoosier R7s for $2012.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Picked up the missus’ YP today. The difference between a 2018 first production and a 2022 is… Noticeable.

…And I thought my car was reasonably well bolted together.

Also, performance 3s and Ys remain hilarious fun to drive.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

bird with big dick posted:

I ordered some wheels to replace the 20s. Was gonna go with 18s but fell in love with some 19s. Will still be way lighter than the factory boat anchors plus a little more sidewall could save me some headaches and save me some tire cost.

Not sure what tire I'm going to go with though. Seems like most people interested in performance go with 265/35R19s so 30mm wider and calculate out to 0.2" shorter (0.65%) but if I want to avoid range loss I could go with 235/40R19 so same width but 0.28% shorter.

Michelin PS 4S are 1364 for a set for the narrower tire, 1608 for the fatters.

Or I could get Hoosier R7s for $2012.

Which 19s did you go with?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Titan 7 T-d6e

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You can get Pirelli P Zero Elect in 265/35R19

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

McPhearson posted:

You can also stop the charge by tapping your ChargePoint Card/phone on the reader again. I think I've run into a working ChargePoint fast charger touchscreen maybe once.

Hey thanks. That's good to know.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Titan 7s west coast distribution center is apparently where I live, these arrived in 2 days.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I like the design. Is there a slight gold tint, or is it a silvery satin finish that's being hosed up by bad white-balance somewhere?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They’re bronze but a pretty light bronze. I haven’t really liked any of the black or silver wheels I’ve seen with the red and I usually like bronze with both red and blue cars so we’ll see.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Enhanced Auto Pilot is available to buy in the Tesla App Store

If it was 2k maybe, those features to me aren’t worth 6k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mattfl posted:

Enhanced Auto Pilot is available to buy in the Tesla App Store

If it was 2k maybe, those features to me aren’t worth 6k.

I bought the whole autopilot package when it was like $3k. Of the features listed, the only ones I use are navigate on auto pilot and auto lane change.

Navigate on autopilot: it's actually kind of cool to get the reminder that I have to take an exit.

I have it set to just ask permission to change lanes, because it's so bad at deciding when that's appropriate. Half the time I ignore it. I will say it's better than I am at predicting when I'm coming up on slow moving traffic, so it's nice for road trips.

Auto park is cool if you can't do it yourself, but nearly always takes at least three attempts. Last time I tried to have it parallel park, I took over after the fifth time it pulled forward and then reversed back to the exact same wedged position. I was getting embarrassed.

Summon lets it back into tight spots with you out of the car. I found I never want to park my expensive rear end car that close to somebody else's door.

Smart summon is a wonderful way to terrify yourself that the second most expensive thing you own is about to ram itself into a cement barrier.

So my advice is to consider whether you take enough road trips for those first two features, and consider the rest as cool parlor tricks they throw in for free. I would probably pay $5k for it, because probably ⅘ of our driving is on highways.