Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
All this discussion about positions etcetera reminded me to a campaign pitch I was making to someone who thought it was hard to make a Warhammer 40K RogueTrader game not excessively grimdark.

Cross over McHale's Navy/F Troop (without its brand of racism) with it. The lowliest son of the dynasty operates a small outpost on the fringes of a trading empire. They've got a pretty good racket going, and do as little work as possible, but it's a challenge to make JUST enough profit to keep them assigned to this little bit of lazy paradise, and not too much profit (if the bosses think you can be used elsewhere, then you'll lose this easy sinecure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm more of a fan of the kind of character that humbles them with meticulously upkept spreadsheets, and who ensures anyone who doesn't properly fill out their timesheets and invoices finds their way out the nearest airlock. There's a certain level of excess at which point bureaucracy goes from dull to cool, and that's a vibe I enjoy. And nobody is too rich for coffee.

Isn't the Imperium fascist theocratic Space Britain? Tea is clearly the way to go.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/games/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader

No squats confirmed.

Sad.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think you mean 'no Squats yet'- if this sells well (Emperor willing) then we might get expansion packs and such, so maybe some of them might have Squats? Also, IIRC there are rules and such for having Tau and Kroot in the Expanse (Warp Shenaigans™, nobody gotta explain poo poo), so who knows, we might get the grayfaces and their servants too?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

How much do you want to bet they'll be part of the Season Pass?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Some other choice bits.

quote:

“Some subsettings are more colourful, some are more grimdark. There are horror novels in Black Library, and there are ones with more humour and life to them. Our game will feature some elements of all of them. There will be locations that are more horror-like, and locations that are more ‘slice of life’.”

Seems like they definitely get that the game experience needs to be a healthy mix of skull thrones and levity.

quote:

You’ll be causing and suffering these bloody deaths, as with Owlcat’s Pathfinder games, as a party of six. Characters fulfil somewhat familiar RPG roles, but with a 40k twist. Among the available party members are psykers, effectively casters, or pure melee characters, like the Space Wolf already shown off in the game’s key art - although Gusev says that’s not the only path you can go with him, and you might prefer to go ranged or ranged with melee. There will also be tanks and support, with what sounds like many options to create hybrid roles. And, because it’s 40k, ranged weapons will play a big role. Gusev lists them off: “AOE weapons. Snipers. Auto weapons for crowd control and great damage on single targets.”

Indeed, we’ve already seen an Eldar Sniper in the party in the game’s announcement trailer. So will there be any other playable aliens - known as xenos - in the game? Yes, says Gusev, although they can’t reveal exactly what types just yet.
6 party members, so I'd guess the same amount of npcs as KM and Wrath, 10-12 maybe? The setting lends itself to hired mercs really well to fill out party comp, especially Orks.

quote:

This character sheet is influenced by Fantasy Flight’s version, but more as inspiration rather than a hard interpretation. “We’re not directly transferring all the mechanics from Fantasy Flight,” says Gusev, but those who played that companies’ series of 40k tabletop RPGs will find some familiarity.

Hopefully this leans more towards "make a game" rather then "make spreadsheet simulators"

quote:

Owlcat is keen to reveal more about the game in the coming months, but before I go, I have to ask if the unique approach to choice and consequence in a 40k setting will allow our Rogue Trader to make some nefarious deals with the ruinous powers. Can you go full heretic? “Can you commit full heresy?” ponders Gusev, “Yes, considering that definitions of heresy vary. I can tell you that in the trailer it mentions heresy - and that’s not just to mention it.” So, more info soon, and an official ‘gently caress the emperor’ run confirmed! You heard it here first.

Going full dark/ruinous powers would offer a lot of options, but unless they get real creative I don't know how you could maintain the same party members who would be willing to work with you while you aren't a mass of twisting warp tentacles.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Maybe......the pay is real good? :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Owlcat was not afraid to make party members gently caress off or die in WOTR I imagine it'll be much the same here

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just ask that they please let us respec companions skills or whatever. Owlcat always dumps a bunch of useless skills on your party members

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

pentyne posted:

Going full dark/ruinous powers would offer a lot of options, but unless they get real creative I don't know how you could maintain the same party members who would be willing to work with you while you aren't a mass of twisting warp tentacles.

In the previous game they let you become a lich or an insect swarm, and most (all?) NPCs deserted you. It was great. Or it eventually became great, I guess, when I played they were a chaotic mess.

pentyne posted:

The setting lends itself to hired mercs really well to fill out party comp, especially Orks.

An Ork with a helmet that has "Not an Ork" painted on it would be a great party member.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
long fang with a plasma cannon confirmed. hell yea, dudes.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, if you go full Ruinous Powers I really don't see characters like the Space Wolf and the Eldar sticking with you. I guess you could theoretically do a plot about corrupting the Space Marine, but even goddamn Dark Eldar don't work directly with Chaos (for fairly obvious reasons). It's definitely possible to justify some characters sticking with you though - particularly anyone actually directly connected with the dynasty like that seneschal shown off.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There is also the possibility that you don't go full heretic- just declaring your independence from the Imperium proper might do (granted, that is very often the first step to actual heresy). In such a case, you might lose the Spehss Marehn and Sororitas, but the Eldar might stay with you, especially if the xenos get to use your colony/colonies for their own inscrutable purposes*.

*For example, the great Eldar hero Eldrad Ulthran is responsible for the Second and Third Wars for Armageddon, conflicts that have claimed millions of Imperial lives, just to save a few thousand Eldar. As far as he's concerned, it was well worth it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fat Samurai posted:

An Ork with a helmet that has "Not an Ork" painted on it would be a great party member.
:hmmorks:

Clear elite Kommando material right there.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

:hmmorks:

Clear elite Kommando material right there.
He better have a swag purple jacket.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5UMbPaqdO4

Big Owlcat interview.

Sanctioned and unsanctioned psyker companions.
At least one Xenos companion other than the Eldar (give me my Weirdboy, Owlcat!).
Character backgrounds are in; commisar, imperial navy and crime lord confirmed. Presumably they grant you extra skills.
Couple of seconds of footage of some Slanneshi daemons.
You are involved in the governing of/own planets. Some of the quests will involve managing them. Choosing what a Forge World produces was given as an example, focusing on illegal goods will be an option.
Big focus on choice and consequence. You will be able to make choices that can lead to companions trying to kill you, and have drastic impacts on the world.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone curious what W40k is like, the best W40k game series made is on sale on steam for 85% off.

Dawn of War 2 is a squad based RTS where you play as a space marine chapter, and Chaos Reigns is the expansion that lets you dip into heresy as well. It has a lot more rpg elements to it then most RTS, more like an Xcom as you pick which squad to start the mission with and will upgrade their abilities and equipment as you progress.

Dawn of War 2 Retribution is the one that lest you pick 1 of 6 races to play as and follow their story. Orks, Elder, Imp Guard, Chaos, Space Marine, Tyranids.

The original DoW 1 was more of a starcraft base builder with some outstanding expansions as well.

Dawn of War 3 is trash, don't bother.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

pentyne posted:

Anyone curious what W40k is like, the best W40k game series made is on sale on steam for 85% off.

Dawn of War 2 is a squad based RTS where you play as a space marine chapter, and Chaos Reigns is the expansion that lets you dip into heresy as well. It has a lot more rpg elements to it then most RTS, more like an Xcom as you pick which squad to start the mission with and will upgrade their abilities and equipment as you progress.

Dawn of War 2 Retribution is the one that lest you pick 1 of 6 races to play as and follow their story. Orks, Elder, Imp Guard, Chaos, Space Marine, Tyranids.

The original DoW 1 was more of a starcraft base builder with some outstanding expansions as well.

All correct.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I recently redownloaded DoW3 because I'd recalled it being bad but I thought "How bad could it be?". The answer was "very". It was very bad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mechanicus is best 40k game. Necromunda EYE Cybermancy is pretty alright too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lexorin posted:

I recently redownloaded DoW3 because I'd recalled it being bad but I thought "How bad could it be?". The answer was "very". It was very bad.

The funny thing is I seen relic is now working on Company of Heroes 3 too. Given the state of DoW3 and CoH 2 I can't imagine it's going to be any good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hoping if this is a hit we'll finally get a wfrp video game afterwards.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

pentyne posted:

DoW 1 and expansions even had a gimmick where you took over a whole planet by battling on different maps against the different factions. I'd like to see that gimmick more in RTS games.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Are there any books or games that are actually lighthearted and funny, preferably about orks, that someone would actually recommend reading or playing? Actually lighthearted and funny, not "grimdark, but it's ironic" or "satire, but not in a way that makes people laugh". I keep wanting to get into the W40K franchise but I don't really enjoy grimdark stuff, space politics, or military fiction...

Also, for Dawn of War 2, the DLC is only about $3, how necessary is it, or can I just skip it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dawn of War 2 is three games, the base game and Chaos Rising, which are one continuously story, and Retribution which I think is all the DLC you are seeing.

The DLC doesn't matter for any of them. Just buy the master collection for $8.24.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Colin Mockery posted:

Are there any books or games that are actually lighthearted and funny, preferably about orks, that someone would actually recommend reading or playing? Actually lighthearted and funny, not "grimdark, but it's ironic" or "satire, but not in a way that makes people laugh". I keep wanting to get into the W40K franchise but I don't really enjoy grimdark stuff, space politics, or military fiction...

Also, for Dawn of War 2, the DLC is only about $3, how necessary is it, or can I just skip it

I'm aware of the Ciaphas Cain series, which is about an Imperial guy who basically lucks his way into glorious victories despite being a complete coward, to the point of being hailed as a hero of the imperium.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Colin Mockery posted:

I keep wanting to get into the W40K franchise but I don't really enjoy grimdark stuff, space politics, or military fiction...

You probably shouldn't get into 40k then.

This is like saying you really want become a wine connoisseur, but you'd prefer if you didn't have to drink any wine in the process.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah, fair enough.

I find a lot of the facts of the lore and the worldbuilding to be really interesting, which is what attracted me to the premise and wanting to explore more about it in the first place, but I can stick to just looking at wikis instead.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think the comic Deff Skwadron might be a good fit, since it's just a bunch of Orks having fun krumping other Orks. But yeah, other than that it's pretty much like Bloody Hedgehog said, as grimdark stuff, space politics, and military fiction are what 40K is.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DeathSandwich posted:

The funny thing is I seen relic is now working on Company of Heroes 3 too. Given the state of DoW3 and CoH 2 I can't imagine it's going to be any good.

Actually based on feedback to the open beta they did it was pretty solid. So, you know, hope lives.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Colin Mockery posted:

Not a book or a game but the emperor has a text to speech device is really fun time and honestly basically canon to me. It's the tone the setting should have damnit :argh:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Of all the problems it has, and there are many, the main one would be pretending the Emperor isn't a giant loving loser that caused the whole mess through incompetence.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You probably shouldn't get into 40k then.

This is like saying you really want become a wine connoisseur, but you'd prefer if you didn't have to drink any wine in the process.

Harder. Wine tasting is complete bullshit for snobs.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fat Samurai posted:

Harder. Wine tasting is complete bullshit for snobs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

spotted the ork kommando mercenary trying to infiltrate the thread

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

spotted the ork kommando mercenary trying to infiltrate the thread

what do you mean? There's no Kommandos here.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The one on the top left was exactly the one I was thinking of. If you can team up with a murderous goblin you should be able to team up with that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

The one on the top left was exactly the one I was thinking of. If you can team up with a murderous goblin you should be able to team up with that.

If there is a disguise mechanic, and the Ork has it, I'll be disappointed if the top left is NOT what we get.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

For xenos companions you also have t'au and kroot as reasonable candidates. Orks are constantly shedding spores everywhere that give rise to new ork armies so they'd probably be about as tolerated as a Chaos companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
For a certain type of Rogue Trader your freebooter companion causing an infestation on a planet that could use your help removing it is a bonus feature, not a detriment to his company.