Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lassitude posted:

For xenos companions you also have t'au and kroot as reasonable candidates. Orks are constantly shedding spores everywhere that give rise to new ork armies so they'd probably be about as tolerated as a Chaos companion.
Ork freebooters are literally a playable character class in the table top game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Lassitude posted:

For xenos companions you also have t'au and kroot as reasonable candidates.

Zoat or riot.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lassitude posted:

For xenos companions you also have t'au and kroot as reasonable candidates. Orks are constantly shedding spores everywhere that give rise to new ork armies so they'd probably be about as tolerated as a Chaos companion.

This one doesn’t, on account of the Space Marine armour he’s stolen as disguise.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

“I’m biggest Ork now. Err… Humie! I’m biggest Humie!”

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If GW ever does anything with the overall 40k storyline, and the threat of Tyranids (or the theory of something worse chasing the nids) destroying the galaxy, I would love to see every faction teaming up against the nids. Could be some very cool stories/books/games to come out of that.

Like, first the Imperium teams up with the Tau, since the Tau are the least bad of the Imperiums enemies. Then the Eldar. Then reluctantly the Orks, cause the Orks would rather be krumpin' gits wit de humies than wiped out completely. Then even the Necrons, cause the Necrons will be damned if the nids get to wipe out all life in the universe before they get a chance to. Then even Chaos allies with everyone, since all the factions finally admit that Chaos is just a manifestation of their own warlike ways, and they're not going away unless everyone decides to put down their guns and play nice. Plus Chaos hates the Tyranids since they can't control or influence them, and Chaos would be awfully sad if there were no mortals left to torment for eternity. Hell, maybe the turning point could be even the Genestealer Cults allying with everyone, since ultimately they might prefer being hybrids rather than just mindless members of a nid swarm drifting through space with no biomess left in the galaxy to consume.

And the it all goes to poo poo in the end and the galaxy destroys itself and GW can reboot the setting into Age of Squigmar 41k.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

Ork freebooters are literally a playable character class in the table top game.

And weirdboy, yeah. It's just more complicated story-wise to make an ork fit than some of the other xenos options as they'd be Chaos-tier pariahs on most imperial worlds. That said an ork companion who literally gets larger as he levels up would be pretty fun.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Colin Mockery posted:

Are there any books or games that are actually lighthearted and funny, preferably about orks, that someone would actually recommend reading or playing? Actually lighthearted and funny, not "grimdark, but it's ironic" or "satire, but not in a way that makes people laugh". I keep wanting to get into the W40K franchise but I don't really enjoy grimdark stuff, space politics, or military fiction...

Also, for Dawn of War 2, the DLC is only about $3, how necessary is it, or can I just skip it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324530/Warhammer_40000_Shootas_Blood__Teef/

not out yet but the demo is fun as poo poo

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lassitude posted:

If Owlcat includes a Tau companion at any point and make them romanceable I will absolutely lose my poo poo at all the neckbeards losing their poo poo :allears:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just from that promo video, i am a big fan of the Ork with a Pearl Earring, the inclusion of the "drive me closer I want to hit them with my sword" guy, and the looted thunderhawk gunship

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

On Discord they mentioned that alpha is “this fall”. So maybe it’s a bit further along than I expected.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Okay, I picked up DoW 2 and the Shootas, Blood, and Teef demo. The platformer especially looks exactly like what I'm looking for so that's what I'm gonna start with, and then I'll look into the print products that were mentioned after that.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I definitely wouldn't have been able to find them in the massive pile of Games Workshop IP products without help.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CommissarMega posted:

If Owlcat includes a Tau companion at any point and make them romanceable I will absolutely lose my poo poo at all the neckbeards losing their poo poo :allears:

Kitten as a secret companion.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

CottonWolf posted:

Isn't the Imperium fascist theocratic Space Britain? Tea is clearly the way to go.
It's fascist theocratic Space Rome / Mongolia / Ancient Greece / Scandinavia / Holy Roman Empire / Ancient Egypt / The Crusader States / Historical-or-Sci-Fi-or-Fantasy-Tropes In General depending on which exact bit of it is being written about. With a side order of Judge Dredd and Dune.

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm aware of the Ciaphas Cain series, which is about an Imperial guy who basically lucks his way into glorious victories despite being a complete coward, to the point of being hailed as a hero of the imperium.
For instance Ciaphas Cain is basically Flashman in 40k

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Zephro posted:

It's fascist theocratic Space Rome / Mongolia / Ancient Greece / Scandinavia / Holy Roman Empire / Ancient Egypt / The Crusader States / Historical-or-Sci-Fi-or-Fantasy-Tropes In General depending on which exact bit of it is being written about. With a side order of Judge Dredd and Dune.

For instance Ciaphas Cain is basically Flashman in 40k

Only somehow the 40k Character is legitimately the more moral one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yvonmukluk posted:

He's more an actual hero, he's just very self deprecating.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm aware of the Ciaphas Cain series, which is about an Imperial guy who basically lucks his way into glorious victories despite being a complete coward, to the point of being hailed as a hero of the imperium.

The books are ostensibly Cain's secret private memoirs, edited by an old acquaintance, who ponders Cain's self-professed cowardice in their editorials. Cain constantly tries to avoid dangerous situations and feel them if he can do it without revealing himself, but he basically never becomes non-functional due fear, but can operate rationally and effectively despite being scared shitless, and the editor muses on which is more admirable: never feeling any fear at all or being afraid and still managing to do their duty.

The first three are the best, the next three are ok-ish, and after that the series is basically repeating the same beats over and over again, though there are occasional good bits.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, all of his affairs with the opposite sex are consensual for one, unlike Flashman's.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the joke with Ciaphas Cain is that he is legitimately heroic and skilled, he just has a horrible case of imposter syndrome and internalized some dumb ideas about how people handle fear.

Much like Flashman who he's partially based on he's supposed to be a parody of the character type. Its just the character he's supposed to be parodying is the Imperial Commissar, aka the lovely dudes who shoot dissenters, are always incompetent and mostly make life hell for anyone who crosses their path because they're always sure they're right. So instead he's a chronically anxious wreck who's exceeding nice to people, good at his job without murdering people and terrified one day his whole life is gonna burn down. And in the process becomes insanely popular, powerful and wealthy without ever really internalizing it.

The narrative is about his long term girlfriend editing his memoirs and basically continually calling him a dumbass in footnotes and just generally being fun.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it is so good to see they're not porting the rules over

Rogue Trader was a fun setting coupled to the most rocket tag rear end system known to man. this is because it was a scale-up off of the preexisting game Dark Heresy, whose gimmick was that you are an inquisitor's lackeys, and not one of the ones they give anything expensive to. your job as an acolyte was for one of you to survive to give your report if you actually found anything, so the boss could bring in someone who could ACTUALLY handle it. the system was comically lethal because part of the gag was 'you are a slightly above average human in this game, your life is not going to be long and you will spend most of it failing skill checks.'

then someone decided 'but wait! what if you could pick two or three skills you were actually good at! and had access to even better weapons! but so did your enemies!'

long story short the average acolyte is five shots from an enemy away from being paste, mostly because comparably incompetent attackers are going to miss three of them. the average rogue trader character was looking at one or two.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is so good to see they're not porting the rules over

Rogue Trader was a fun setting coupled to the most rocket tag rear end system known to man. this is because it was a scale-up off of the preexisting game Dark Heresy, whose gimmick was that you are an inquisitor's lackeys, and not one of the ones they give anything expensive to. your job as an acolyte was for one of you to survive to give your report if you actually found anything, so the boss could bring in someone who could ACTUALLY handle it. the system was comically lethal because part of the gag was 'you are a slightly above average human in this game, your life is not going to be long and you will spend most of it failing skill checks.'

then someone decided 'but wait! what if you could pick two or three skills you were actually good at! and had access to even better weapons! but so did your enemies!'

long story short the average acolyte is five shots from an enemy away from being paste, mostly because comparably incompetent attackers are going to miss three of them. the average rogue trader character was looking at one or two.

Well poo poo, now I want to play a Dark Heresy video game.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Popete posted:

Good news! Darktide is specifically a 4 player shooter about being the Inquisition’s goons.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
One tip if reading Ciaphas Cain, don't bother reading the footnotes. 99.9% of them in the book add literally nothing, and it's not worth reading them all to find the 2 or 3 useful bits of info across the series. They gradually increase in volume as well, until the final book where it feels like a quarter of the book is just footnotes.

Most of footnotes are so completely pointless that they're something like "Cain drew his laspistol, releasing a brace of shots* at the Orks." - *We can surmise that Cain must have released the safety on his pistol before firing, even though it is not stated here.

Like, no was was curious or cared if he released the safety on his pistol. Next you'll have a 4 paragraph explanation of how Cain must've taken his chainsword out of it's scabbard before using it.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Colin Mockery posted:

Are there any books or games that are actually lighthearted and funny, preferably about orks, that someone would actually recommend reading or playing? Actually lighthearted and funny, not "grimdark, but it's ironic" or "satire, but not in a way that makes people laugh". I keep wanting to get into the W40K franchise but I don't really enjoy grimdark stuff, space politics, or military fiction...

Also, for Dawn of War 2, the DLC is only about $3, how necessary is it, or can I just skip it

I really enjoyed reading "the infinite and the divine", a tale of two necrons having a competition on who's the best old man who yells at clouds. I wouldn't say it's completely lighthearted, but it and ciaphias Cain would be the closest I would say W40K comes to a comedy.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
40k has stuff you can laugh at, for sure. Often the absurd things going on, stuff that would be terrible if it wasn't so over-the-top.

The Ghazghkull origin story 'Prophet of the Waaagh' is a great mix of Orky Bizniss and cosmic horror, as a radical inquisitor gets Ghaz's backstory from a captured Makari.

It's also entirely possible that the Imperium's naming scheme is the thing that's saved them from Ghaz, as he knows Gork and Mork want Armageddon, so he keeps throwing forces at the planet with that name.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Popete posted:

you know how everything in the 40k universe is measured in 'number of imperial guardsmen it can kill'

the average Dark Heresy character looks at the Guardsman, armed with a lasrifle, flak armor, laspistol, combat knife, ration card, and the contact information of at least one person with a heavy weapon who will not immediately tell them to gently caress off, and sees an unparalleled god of war. said god of war will also immediately tell them to gently caress off for being a weirdo.

Dark Heresy rules.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

you know how everything in the 40k universe is measured in 'number of imperial guardsmen it can kill'

the average Dark Heresy character looks at the Guardsman, armed with a lasrifle, flak armor, laspistol, combat knife, ration card, and the contact information of at least one person with a heavy weapon who will not immediately tell them to gently caress off, and sees an unparalleled god of war. said god of war will also immediately tell them to gently caress off for being a weirdo.

Dark Heresy rules.

Yeah, entry level Dark Heresy 1st edition characters don't even qualify as the Inquisitorial B team, they are the F team. It's just that on the high end of the power scale, you wind up truly getting into some horrifically powerful player characters. Ascension Tier characters are pretty much all madhouse to a one for various reasons.

There's a reason Rogue Trader characters start at the equivalent of like a rank 5 or 6 DH character.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dark Heresy sounds like it's 90% role play being a civilian in a future hell world, 10% dice rolling.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pentyne posted:

Dark Heresy sounds like it's 90% role play being a civilian in a future hell world, 10% dice rolling.

Pretty much, and even on the dicerolling it's less 'optimizing my character' and more 'using the environment and surprise to my advantage'. Seriously, one of the biggest paradigm shifts for someone used to other roleplaying games is that while your character's stats do matter, the environment you engineer and tactics they present are worth far, far more. If you're in a fair fight of any kind, something's gone wrong somewhere.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dark heresy more like dork hilariously

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Would like to request a lighter shade of heresy pls

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CommissarMega posted:

Pretty much, and even on the dicerolling it's less 'optimizing my character' and more 'using the environment and surprise to my advantage'. Seriously, one of the biggest paradigm shifts for someone used to other roleplaying games is that while your character's stats do matter, the environment you engineer and tactics they present are worth far, far more. If you're in a fair fight of any kind, something's gone wrong somewhere.

Yeah, Dark Heresy is probably about as lethal as Cyberpunk 2020 or Call off Cthulu for anyone familiar with the latter two. There really aren't pitched battles insofar as any prolonged engagement is either an ambush or an escape from something gnarly. If you're in an open room outside of cover duking it out you already hosed up. Cover, smoke grenades, and area denial are your friends.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

More companion stuff

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1539994865827815426

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
sanctioned vs. unsanctioned psykers is an interesting touch in the lore. the imperium, of course, doesn't give you a choice: the options for a psyker are sanctioning or death. that said there's still some sanctioned psykers who are grateful for the process, because agonizing as it might be at least it shuts most of the voices up. you may recall the voice actor for the Sanctioned Psyker in Dawn of War: he is what most of them sound like afterwards.

our pal Idira did not go through this formative getting-her-brain-fried-by-and-for-the-emperor, and as a result is a lot more able to interact with regular people than most psykers are! as long as the voices aren't being too distracting at the moment. yes the voices have been getting steadily louder every year, but it's probably fine.

mechanically an unsanctioned psyker can put a lot more muscle behind their psychic powers than sanctioned ones, at the low low cost of being about 75% more likely to explode into demons when they start throwing their brainweight around. again, rules clearly originating from a tablegame where you're expected to die early and often. bet they'll save failure states like that for plot events, as opposed to a 5% chance to happen every time you try to cast Magic Missile.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

They say the third time is the charm. Maybe on this third iteration, owlcat games will manage to make a game that is worth playing all the way through.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

They say the third time is the charm. Maybe on this third iteration, owlcat games will manage to make a game that is worth playing all the way through.

It's not using the pathfinder system as its underlying mechanics so I'm hoping due to the nature of the ffg systems you're not going up against hell walls of enemies that spike in difficulty dramatically. Theres no real equivalent to high AC enemies in the system. The closest is that enemies can have really high either armour (damage reduction) or high dodge (chance to avoid an attack entirely). Dodges are limited to 1 attack per round normally with some enemies/players getting 2 so its something that is just bypassed by raw focus fire. High Armour is defeated purely by weapon penetration so you can't really spike that without having the gear available to do it. Neither is something that is bypassed by needing to build your character a certain way or anything ala pathfinder's infinite spell resistance/damage reduction/immunities/saves.

It'll be interesting to see what gets ported over vs what doesn't but ideally the general core resolution logic and mechanics like that are kept the same. Removing a lot of the rocket tag and groping for environmental modifiers since thats difficult to implement in a crpg.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 24, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't know if it was in Rogue Trader but a bunch of mooks with cheap automatic weapons was a real meat grinder in Dark Heresy.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I don't know if it was in Rogue Trader but a bunch of mooks with cheap automatic weapons was a real meat grinder in Dark Heresy.

Full Auto weapons in general were loving terrifying in the pre-Black Crusade/Only War ruleset. They decided to give you a big bonus to hit when firing on full auto and the better the roll the more bullets hit in general which was a problematic double reward system making it the default choice. It became a dogshit way of attacking anything wearing some heavier armour but early on when players dont have much more than flak armour its really dangerous.

Popete posted:

Dark Heresy is a somewhat busted and dated ruleset but holy poo poo is it so much fun and I would kill for a investigation game using it as a base.

Dark Heresy rules.

CommissarMega posted:

To extrapolate a lot of the general memes about this game into how it's supposed to work in reality. While there is a general idea that rank 1 Dark Heresy characters suck, they only are bad in terms of stand up fights in a D&D style 'roll initiative' type game when everything in the system is screaming at you not to do this.

The game works on a 1d100 system that takes a base stat + bonuses from the skill you a using + any special talent or gear you have + environmental and situational bonuses or penalties. You need to roll equal to or under the number you just worked out there. The idea is that anyone knows immediately what their chances of succeeding are. What catches people out is that a starting character begins with anywhere from 20s-40s in their stat and maybe has the skill trained (meaning no penalty to use it rather than any bonuses). So Jeff the level 1 imperial guardsman has say a 35 Ballistic Skill and at a glance you think if that wants to shoot his lasgun at a heretic you have a 35% chance to hit but in reality you're adding a lot to it. You are using a lasgun which is really long range so you're likely adding +10 from range (because the long range means that the weapons short range is really large too). Maybe you're ambushing the target so thats another +30, maybe you have a red dot sight so thats another +10 etc. You take that regular low number and with setup and prep and planning, you're suddenly needing to roll under a 85 to hit which is pretty drat reliable.

Most of the game's system is like this. Another confusing part was that the default 'difficulty' of a task people assumed was to add +0 to it (i.e. you're getting no bonus or penalty to the roll you are about to make). The problem is that game describes this as something you do when a task is 'challenging' while an 'ordinary' difficulty check (i.e. something your character would typically know how to do) gives the player a +10 to the roll. The game is supposed to give you a passive +10 on most things you try but people miss this and combined with a system that depends upon lots of situation and environmental bonuses to activity and it results in Rank 1 Dark Heresy character often being clown shoe incompetents.

On the flip side of that. The game scales in power drastically later on. The full auto weapon problem is something that just ravages lower level/lower armour enemies but once you're up to wearing carapace (if you have a good toughness bonus which gives passive damage reduction) and especially power armour. You are literally immune to the vast majority of small arms fire and even bolt weapons to a lesser extent.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 24, 2022

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

well yeah the original version of the autofire rules used in DH and RT made it plainly superior to anything else as long as the gun had a semi-reasonable shot of landing wounds through armor + toughness

they later largely fixed it in Black Crusade and Only War (the Chaos/Imperial Guard spinoffs) by changing autofire from a massive +20% chance to hit (+1 hit per degree of success) to a -10 chance to hit, with standard shots going from +0 to +10 (and Semi-burst from +10 to +0 [+1 hit per 2 DoS]), and rebalancing the weapons to make autofire both less common (especially on higher damage weapons) and often with a lower cap on maximum hits

that did a good job of changing it from "thing you want to be doing all the time forever and ever" to "thing that is situationally Very Good if you've got high Ballistic Skill and favorable/average conditions, but which might be worse than single shot otherwise and needs to be weighed against the advantages Big Gun/Accurate Weapons/etc"

I don't see any way Owlcat isn't going to be borrowing heavily from the later versions of the rules, this change especially

e;fb

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In 1e Rogue Trader you really wanted to be a Mechanicus dude. Completely OP.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wonder if this game's actually going to have romance in it because that's so rare in 40k as to be almost non-existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

mechanically an unsanctioned psyker can put a lot more muscle behind their psychic powers than sanctioned ones

That's entirely wrong. Sanctioned psykers are soul-bound to the Emperor, and it gives them a bit of a cushion. It allows them to go further than unsanctioned ones, who are universally just the worst. Sanctioned psykers are the best of the best on top of that, because if you are just average they feed your soul to the Emperor. You are too much of a risk not to. So to be sanctioned is to be exceptional, and then there are degrees on top of that. A Primaris Psyker is the type of dude that can just drop a detachment with a mind-storm. An alpha psyker can just control an army or blow up a spaceship with their mind.

And most sanctioned psykers are totally sane [Ish, for their setting] because if they weren't they couldn't do their massively loving important jobs and everyone would die. They can seem a bit weird because they are denied the luxury of ignorance, and know intimately just how wrong things could go in an instant. If they slip up for a moment, a planet could fall. It makes it hard to crack jokes with the boys, who are probably all terrified of you on top of that.