Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Warmachine posted:

Set JP until you start Heavensward. It'll get you through the grating ARR voice acting cadence, and from HW onward there's a consistently good EN voice track.

Naw ARR has fine English voice acting except for like two people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I strongly disagree. Everyone speaks in this very unnatural cadence that I describe as "first-year college student reading their PowerPoint to the class."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I honestly liked Stormblood's story more than HW's.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Every job has an optimal opener and rotation at max level that you'll end up learning to the point of muscle memory if you play the job enough. NuSummoner's is just obvious enough that you can figure it out entirely by yourself, just by reading skill tooltips (and because the flow of the abilities somewhat forces you into it). It also requires minimal hotbar room due to abilities that automatically replace other buttons depending on which other abilities are active. Hence, it's seen as one of the simplest jobs to play at high level.

This is opposed to, say, Black Mage where it makes sense once you know it but figuring it out is not exactly intuitive. Or Monk, where you need a nerd with a gin and tonic futon brain to figure out the mathematically optimal opener and a game mod that reduces animation lock to actually pull that opener off.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/NecroIogos/status/1539421022910291968?t=UJJIJrTfPDumJO5KD71Nsg&s=19

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ARR has awful voice acting. The only good one was Merlwyb's Captain Janeway impersonation

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Don’t post lies in this thread

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

By and large ARR's VO performances are fine but the stinkers loving stink bad. ARR has what might be the worst VO performance I've ever heard and also I wouldn't go back and change to another language for anything.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Endwalker EX1's grating voice has me set to French until I finish farming tokens. I don't entirely know why it affects me so much but I'm clearly not the only one cause I got the tip from a rando party member.
I think it's a catman battle voice but the long extended battle cry makes me laugh more than anything.

and I have to show this to the newbie excited over decorating

hazardousmouse posted:

Decided I didn't like the flow of my houses main room. Found a new spot for the chair, felt incomplete so moved a side table to it, realized I accidentally created a power corner for my basement.

:iia:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
IMO the English voice acting in ARR is merely ok/inoffensive. Probably best to just stick with it because if you start with Japanese VA, by the time Heavenward comes around you are so used to the Japanese VA that the new English voice actors are just going to sound weird to you regardless of their quality.

Anyway that Endwalker EP with ‘In The Balance’ is out on iTunes and so forth.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah if you're not using English VA from HW on you'll miss out on the quotable good stuff.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
TOO BLOODY GLIB, SLOPPY WAS NOT MY INTENTION

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The problem with the English voice acting in ARR boils down to them not actually having any competent voice direction due to time and budget constraints. Once you get into the 2.1-2.55 content, where the dev team finally had some breathing room and weren't rushing to meet a deadline, the voice acting actually improves a fair bit, due to the actors finally having someone around to say, "No, that take didn't sound good, let's have you try it again," instead of, "Just listen to the Japanese version of the line, and try to sound like them but in English." :effort:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Pirate mom was the only downgrade after the switching

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I'm just glad that Kan-E-Senna recovered from her debilitating stroke.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

Pirate mom was the only downgrade after the switching

She got there eventually.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The only voices from ARR I even remember are the ones from MSQ roulette and the fact that Gideon Emery was Urianger for like two paragraphs or whatever.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The direction for ARR Alisaie must have been "make her sound like a squeaky cartoon child"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hey, glad to see you're liking things so far. Your bun is cool.

Oh, and just to make sure you're aware- we also have a newbie thread with a lot of good info to help get you started.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973448

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HackensackBackpack posted:

The only voices from ARR I even remember are the ones from MSQ roulette and the fact that Gideon Emery was Urianger for like two paragraphs or whatever.

One of his lines is just copy/pasted into two separate scenes.

"Have the documents arrived from the Students of Baldesion?" "Aye, my lady..."

The Garlean generals, Merlwyb and Alphinaud have good ARR voice acting. Everyone else is bad, but especially Alisae, Cid and Minfilia. But with the latter pair at least the awful voice acting matches their terrible writing and garbage character design.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I greatly appreciate Cid being a boring straight man so that motherfuckin' Nero can shine.

Speaking of newbies I finally had several stars align:

Rous + PvP for fun ran every class to 60 because the Garo titles double dared my brain worms.

Omnicraft 80 because who needs gil when houses aren't real.

Fixed my connection dropping issue by replacing my router, removing the part of my soul that dies of guilt when I drop mid dungeon in a multiplayer coop game. Also the part of my daily frustration that makes me more interested in offline activities.

Got Ninja to 72 from 60 because IT'S LIT

Time to resume Shadowbringer MSQ! I just did the twin intro lines and was about to go rescue the Prophet of Light, excited to see Minfilla the most boring character have some sort of purpose and direction! King Baby-Fat and the dialogue associated was hilarious, good job Blue Alisaie! Also loved the characterization of the hedonistic rich commune city and how good FF14 is about not having every bad guy group be full of pure mustache twirling jerks.

HW and Stormblood were super good for me and everybody keeps saying Shadowbringer is when it gets really good??? Mmm mmm *rubs hands, licks lips*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Inzombiac posted:

Makes sense. Some rando dropped by and gave me a Zu. Some kinda giant bird. Can't wait to try it out... hopefully soon.

Also, how TF am I supposed to get anything done with this guy around?!

Zu is on my list of "I didn't think I'd like it but it's oddly one of my favorites." It's big, it's ugly, and it's made for perching on ledges and looming.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

sassassin posted:

The Garlean generals, Merlwyb and Alphinaud have good ARR voice acting.

:yeah:

Alphinaud's ARR voice may have been annoying but I'll be damned if that didn't make it extremely fitting for his character at the time.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Bloody Emissary posted:

Alphinaud's ARR voice may have been annoying but I'll be damned if that didn't make it extremely fitting for his character at the time.

Yeah his ARR voice fits his ARR character perfectly. Big contrast to Alisaie, whose ARR voice was cast by someone who got to "16 year old girl" in her character description and stopped reading.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Unsympathetic smug rich kid Alphinaud > "Sympathetic" special boy Alphinaud

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Bloody Emissary posted:

:yeah:

Yeah, not sure if dude nailed it on purpose or it was a happy coincidence that he was supposed to be an annoying little poo poo at the time, but that was one of the few voices that I would call a sidegrade instead of an upgrade.

Otherwise, there were I think two good voices that didn’t get replaced and a single other voice that did get replaced into a downgrade, at least for a while before she got better at the role.

Maybe some very few other sort of exceptions, but can’t discuss them without spoilers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So... does the Carbuncle attack outside of using the Ruby skill?

No matter what behavior I try, it just stands there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They just stand there and look cool.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Carbuncle is emotional support for the most part.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Carbuncle unfortunately has gone through the wringer during all the successive summoner reworks and is almost vestigial at this point. But he is still cute.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Carbuncles are there to follow you and be cute I think

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The pet AI was always wonky and frustrating from what I heard, they used to be proper pets that could attack and be killed in combat, but were pretty laggy when trying to follow commands, would pull extra mobs when you didnt want them to, etc. Spaghetti code issues. So they made them untargetable first so they wouldn't die to AoE, but the lag was still a problem, so they made them not directly cast or do anything themselves. It's not a perfect solution, it's kind of a pile of bandaids stacked on top of each other, but the class is overall more fun now than it's ever been according to most folks.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

So... does the Carbuncle attack outside of using the Ruby skill?

No matter what behavior I try, it just stands there.

It will eventually transform to do a big, flashy summon attack once you become a summoner. Otherwise, no.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's there because removing it entirely would have made too many people mad.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

Also probably a super secret spaghetti reason of removing it completely breaking Scholar somehow.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
At 50 you unlock petglam and can make it look like one of your other summons all the time. So there's that.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

And rightly so. Carbuncle is real and strong and is my friend.

He does get to do big summon attacks every time you change your summon, but he doesn’t auto-attack or anything. You can also change your base summons to be carbuncles instead of Ifrit or whatever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well dang, that sucks but I'm getting by just fine without it.

Those that said I would miss having a hat because I'm a rabbit, I think you might be right.
Any other races have that type of limitation?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Those that said I would miss having a hat because I'm a rabbit, I think you might be right.

Hrothgar as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Just the bunnies and lion people.

Oh, and au ra horns apparently clip like crazy through most hats, but that one feels more appropriate.