Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Key to scraping any enjoyment out of the Navy is to stay as far away from nuclear propulsion as you loving can, it's a system that runs on concentrated human misery, so yeah your take is pretty much par for the course for people in the nuke program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Elviscat posted:

gently caress. The. Navy.

Permanent unconsciousness is preferable to reenlisting.

Same. We never did get put on 500cal/day. But we did almost run out of food one deployment, due to an incompetent chop that waited to tell the captain we didn't get our full food order in Singapore until we were starting up. We got lucky in that they didn't continue to extend us out to sea.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

Key to scraping any enjoyment out of the Navy is to stay as far away from nuclear propulsion as you loving can, it's a system that runs on concentrated human misery, so yeah your take is pretty much par for the course for people in the nuke program.

I feel for every nuke I run across. It’s a loving bullshit program that should be brought before congress. Even if the manning got doubled and the pay increased by 50% it most likely wouldn’t be enough.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I've outlined a lot of my complaints about the Navy in this thread, and I joined in '08, during the peak of the financial crisis, because I was on the verge of being homeless. I managed to excel in whatever my role as an MMN was for the rear of my career, I collected 7 NAMs and SOY over that period.

But I'd like to give a list of things I'd rather do than reenlist as an E6 in the Navy, in order of preference.

-Sell everything and live in my truck, homeless.
-prostitute myself.
- live on the streets with no means of support.
-Starve (which I've done in the Navy during and deployment where all our meat rotted and we were restricted to 500 calories a day)
-put a 9mm hollowpoint in my loving brain

I know that sounds hyperbolic as hell, but suicide is preferable to life in the Navy by a huge degree for me, personally. Basically the way I see it is the difference between a life of pain and slavery followed by death, and just death.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, I know for a fact most of the Navy never experiences the trauma I have, but for me personally, I'd sever my windpipe with a steak knife before I put that loving uniform on ever again.

gently caress. The. Navy.

Permanent unconsciousness is preferable to reenlisting.

Lol can we put this at the start of every Navy thread from now on please?

What was your rate elviscat?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Probably 75% of people who came from the fleet to a Seabee rate said they wish they had stayed in the fleet. Just LMAO how is everything so loving terrible in the Navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Probably 75% of people who came from the fleet to a Seabee rate said they wish they had stayed in the fleet. Just LMAO how is everything so loving terrible in the Navy

Not everything. But maybe 99.9%.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Elviscat was an MMN, or "Machinist's Mate (Nuclear)"

They're by a wide margin some of the most miserable people in the entire Navy. The Navy Nuclear program is literally built on top of and runs on the acute suffering of its members. Inhuman work schedules, requirements, and cripplingly low manning add on top of the already existent problems with the above, to create like the double sucky Navy experience.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Not everything. But maybe 99.9%.

After having been at MEPS literally the same time same place and having hung out I am now more convinced than ever you're just some SCPO who did their 20, retired out of Millington or whatever and are double dipping as part of someone's ridiculous 'let's see if this does anything to attract Sailors' plan.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Posting to Serve the Nation

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Being a nuke sucks rear end but the manning problem has been fixed for a couple years now. My last patrol we had so many RC divvers that we had two of them standing broadband.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don’t worry I usually try to teach people how to get the most out with the least given when the show interest in serving.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

MMN = Machinist's Mate Nuclear, so a nuclear mechanic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had a great time overall as an I level AT.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got out as an MMN1 yeah.

I was kinda drunk and in the feels last night. I will say, being a nuke set me up for life, I have so many great friends in the community, and I have maybe the best job I could possibly imagine, all thanks to being a nuke. Was it worth it? Impossible to say.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crab Dad posted:

You’ll be fine until 220lb trust me.

>.>
<.<

Last week I broke under 220 for the first time in roughly a decade, and yeah. 220-225 is a physical game changer for me. Knees, acid reflux...noticeable difference.

Edit: If for some reason you find yourself at CENTCOM let me know. Looks like that's a regular TAD/TDY location for me, a couple times a year.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Speaking of nukes

https://twitter.com/tjfarina/status/1538625265798094850?t=vn66iEHvX6A4BWVYAkJVJA&s=19

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Speaking of nukes

I hate you.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh hush, it's a delightful gem of the southern California coast. Just ask any of the raccoons running around in the hangar, they'll tell you they love it there.

Update: just got back from TSTA, large portions of the hangar are now off limits after a structural inspection on the roof while we were gone revealed Problems. I blame the corrosive properties of raccoon piss.

Also I got verbals to go back to Norfolk next year, where the hangars merely flood instead of collapsing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Update: just got back from TSTA, large portions of the hangar are now off limits after a structural inspection on the roof while we were gone revealed Problems. I blame the corrosive properties of raccoon piss.

Also I got verbals to go back to Norfolk next year, where the hangars merely flood instead of collapsing.

I can't speak to raccoons, but this is 100% a thing with bridges and pigeons. Pigeon poo poo and steel do not play nice together.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

One of my former Sailor's is about to EAOS without DD-214, is this something you guys are seeing? They're being told everything is backed up and it won't impact getting benefits but that sounds like a lie.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

One of my former Sailor's is about to EAOS without DD-214, is this something you guys are seeing? They're being told everything is backed up and it won't impact getting benefits but that sounds like a lie.

I needed it for my disability application but that’s about it. I know some states require it to put Veteran on your license but other than that I can’t think of anything else I’ve used it for.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

You download it from one of the Navy websites after your EAOS instead of getting it in person from PSD now.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I would not have left PSD without a signed DD214. The promise of one magically down the line does not thrill

Both my experiences leaving active duty in 2012 and mobbing 2016/demobbing 2017, PSD was about the only good portion compared to how terrible ECRC was. All that was were a bunch of scamming reservists not wanting to help other reservists.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

I would not have left PSD without a signed DD214. The promise of one magically down the line does not thrill

This. What are you going to do if it’s wrong when you’re receive it in six months and you live nowhere near a base? Raise a fuss.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well, PSD will not print you one, so you don't, like get a choice in the matter.

You verify/send back for corrections a draft prior to departing on terminal.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
That same thing happened to my brother last year and when he told me that theyd email him his DD214 I lost my poo poo. It eventually worked out for him but it certainly wouldn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy if I left on terminal without one.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 23, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Trenton mission still ongoing. If it goes for one more year I’m gonna try to mob again in December 2023.
They trying to fill this years quota still.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/wesleysmorgan/status/1539612227178725376?t=0eaKgzNjkWgb3poRkWbWmA&s=19

I only know about this dude as my in-laws live in Missouri and what a phenomenal piece of poo poo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Amazing sometimes they do the right thing kinda. Also not even the seals would take him? That’s pretty toxic.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Well, PSD will not print you one, so you don't, like get a choice in the matter.

I don't think this is the first time that this has come up, but DD214's going digital is a very recent phenomenon. My originals are in a fire safe and I would prefer they be in a safety deposit box. No chance Im going on terminal without either that or a memo signed by the CO in hand.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I didn't even get separation orders until my EAOS. They were handed to me at PSD 10 mins before they handed me my DD-214. Thank god the company I managed to find a job with in my last two weeks did a relocation package for me. Otherwise I would have been stuck in Hawaii with no job waiting for the Navy to pull its head out of its rear end just to get my poo poo back to the mainland.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I just learned one of the guys from my Battalion got his 13 MONTHS POST SEPARATION. Very cool the Navy hammers learned helplessness into young people so they think this is just the way it is and nothing can change.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I searched DD214 and DD-214 on reddit's r/navy and apparently it's been a thing that the Navy has been loving up separation super bad, there's a ton of sailors posting about it. It must have just started when I got out because I got mine the a couple days late as well.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I got mine rapidly JAN 2020 but I also emailed and called the civilian on the email chain with admin. I was told that was totally not cool they don't like that but wtf are they going to do, kick me out? I guess the moral of the story is like with most things military you do what you're told not to if you want something done.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I should add I got mine AFTER my Congressperson called my command's skeleton PSD or whatever.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I searched DD214 and DD-214 on reddit's r/navy and apparently it's been a thing that the Navy has been loving up separation super bad, there's a ton of sailors posting about it. It must have just started when I got out because I got mine the a couple days late as well.

The Navy changing something and massively loving it up? Who could have seen this coming???

maffew buildings posted:

I got mine rapidly JAN 2020 but I also emailed and called the civilian on the email chain with admin. I was told that was totally not cool they don't like that but wtf are they going to do, kick me out? I guess the moral of the story is like with most things military you do what you're told not to if you want something done.

This is the way.

poo poo is hosed up for real, like in Wisconsin to get any of your Veteran's benefits you need to upload a DD214 to the Wisconsin Veteran website. Imagine counting on said benefits but YN3 fuckface and GS-7 dumbass keep ignoring your emails.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I got a paper copy of my DD214 before I left base. We went over its content and made corrections because what it had was all hosed up. If you're separating feel free to piss people off because gently caress every idiot that's still in the military, you gotta get what you need.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

feel free to piss people off because gently caress every idiot that's still in the military, you gotta get what you need.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Grip it and rip it posted:

I got a paper copy of my DD214 before I left base. We went over its content and made corrections because what it had was all hosed up. If you're separating feel free to piss people off because gently caress every idiot that's still in the military, you gotta get what you need.

My last three weeks were great, I just used it to gently caress with this super bitter prior enlisted commander whose bullshit everyone was tired of.

Triad denied my terminal leave because gently caress people who aren't retiring (that was actually the reason given). I'm mad as gently caress, so I "accidentally" forgot to mention the date change to the IT department and I got locked out of all the hospital charting system over a month early. I can't stress how insane this command's self-imposed chit paperwork process was, on top of regular navy, many leave chits no poo poo were frequently 50+ page folders and a Navy COOL chit could take literal months to get through the system. The process to fix that was therefore so onerous on IT that they refused to fix it, and this make this bitter back office lifer Commander on my floor very angry. I was already the enlisted night shift supervisor I just did all the collateral work that at this point I could bang out fast as gently caress for the junior corpsmen and nurses so they could just focus on the regular floor work or chill, so it was a win-win for everyone else on my shift since she wasn't allowed to count me as a head anymore without EMR access.

She tried to make me her assistant or whatever for my last few days but I legitimately already had a bunch of getting out appointments anyway, so I made sure to then block out EVERYTHING left with appointments and sent it all to my LPO and Chief. Me and my LPO butted heads a lot and he has some serious anger issues, but he (and well, everyone) hated her with a passion, so we had a bunch of fun making sure none of her make work "process improvement" poo poo she thought she could dump on me got ever done and sent her on wild goose chases for me all over the massive complex we worked at.

And of course I called my congressperson the second PSD was like "oh lol DD214 comes in emails now" even though I've since learned that's actually now our policy lmao.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah I would definitely not leave the embrace of the military without a hardcopy DD-214. "Oh they get e-mailed now? Cool I'll wait here while you e-mail it so I can print it thank you."