Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
shark won't attack metal reinforced tiles at all, so as long as your outer ring is reinforced with iron the raft is 100% safe

to prevent seagulls stealing your plants i think you need to have them planted in a closed room, which kinda sucks because you can't make a glass greenhouse :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HelloSailorSign posted:

You know that the nuggets on the surface mean there's a deposit directly under them, yeah?

Yes. Not a generally huge one from what I've seen but enough. My minimap is littered with markers for it, as soon as I actually start mining for real I'm going to hopefully be full up on copper.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Decon posted:

I was pretty bummed when I got to Valheim's second boss and found out it was like that. Just an absolute assload of health for someone to try to whittle away as a solo player.

The second one isn't that bad. The third one is resistant to pierce iirc so if you don't want to get poisoned it takes approximately one trillion arrows.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Winklebottom posted:

How bad are the shark attacks and seagulls? I remember hearing that they are constant and very annoying, but I'm probably going off old info.

Tbh once you're past the early game seagulls and sharks are just free food sources unless you're doing some kind of vegan challenge run.

As mentioned you can enclose crops you actually care about to prevent seagulls from chomping them or attacking constantly, but you can also set up a small farming plot somewhere and just farm the seagulls themselves.

As for sharks, when your raft is big enough it doesn't even matter too much if they chomp a bit off so you can just ignore them. Going diving around islands is a different story obviously, but on large enough islands you can be far enough from the shark it won't aggro.

These opinions are from a few major updates back though, I had just made it to the first big island you find after making the radio transmitter so things may have changed

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm actually really looking forward to trying raft again. I played it for a bit in EA but didn't get too deep into it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is the raft ok solo?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

queeb posted:

is the raft ok solo?
Yes, it's fine. I played it solo.

It's really not that deep. It's fun for what it is, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

caleb posted:

The second one isn't that bad. The third one is resistant to pierce iirc so if you don't want to get poisoned it takes approximately one trillion arrows.
Or bring a couple of anti poison meads.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Raft is a very zen experience when played solo imo. Just the waves, the wind, collecting materials, and building your raft as you explore. It helps having a bit more directed of a story now, I'll probably pick it up again with my usual co-op buddy who also likes chill survival stuff.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah my enjoyment of Raft definitely stems from my enjoyment of just chillin' out on the sea and building a heckin' boat. Having some more cool story stuff to explore is a plus. Not really a groundbreaking game by any means but it nails the theme and that helps a lot IMO.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Truga posted:

shark won't attack metal reinforced tiles at all, so as long as your outer ring is reinforced with iron the raft is 100% safe

to prevent seagulls stealing your plants i think you need to have them planted in a closed room, which kinda sucks because you can't make a glass greenhouse :v:

Evil Kit posted:

Tbh once you're past the early game seagulls and sharks are just free food sources unless you're doing some kind of vegan challenge run.

Thanks, might give it a shot then

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

they're putting a battle pass in conan exiles

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

they're putting a battle pass in conan exiles

I haven't played this game in like 3 years and battlepasses seem dumb for it, but I do want to remind everyone that following the weird plot thats very easy to ignore and just build a base is good. The story and world are surprisingly deep and involved and I enjoyed the game a whole lot more even solo/with a bud or two co-op when we followed that. It definitely has some leftover polish that they meant for a game that wasn't a Rust-alike survival game.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

queeb posted:

is the raft ok solo?

without other people to distract you and divide up chores it really becomes apparent how little there is to the game. Progression is very straightforward with no problem solving or anything, just gather 10 [rock] to unlock [metal]; most of your time is spent clicking on your choice of the random trash that constantly drifts by; every five minutes on the dot a shark attacks your boat and you have to poke it with a stick, every four minutes on the dot a seagull will eat your crops and you have to shoo it away. It is possible eventually to turn those two off but by the time the option becomes available you will have sunk many, many hours into sitting around poking a shark every five minutes and a seagull every four minutes. It feels like they were going for a casual turn-your-brain-off kind of experience, but the tasks they put to you are too obnoxious and persistent to ever really let you just vibe on the water in SP. Islands are kinda neat to explore but nothing that can't be had in dozens of better games.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 21, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The shark and seagull can also be modded to be not obnoxious to make it even more chill.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

even then I'd rank it under like a dozen pretty similar games. it's fine in MP if your buddies are already playing it, otherwise steer clear imo

the premise of your base staying constant while everything around it keeps shifting has potential but the implementation of even that is pretty bad. whose idea was it to have the whole world despawn under you if your raft breaks away while you're off exploring an island lol

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I might set up a goon server again, there's block protection for groups and last time I ran one ot was a pretty chill experience. The new release candidate has me wanting to wait for the new version, which means waiting on mods again though.

I just got VS myself from looking at the the thread.

At first It seemed 'wow another Minecraft game..' I got it and quite surprised its 'Wow another Minecraft game' with total different mechanics. Pretty fun and chill so far, I haven't quite gotten past the Pottery age myself and still figuring everything out which seems will take some time. The tutorials seem alright, got tripped up on the whole 'clay kiln' thing since I wasn't quite computing on how these systems works.

Clicking pretty well now though and there's seemingly alot of stuff to continue doing. Would certainly play on a server but yes I also saw the 1.7 trailer and like all of these kind of heavily modable games it takes a bit for the modders to patch up and make everything compatible.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's a small complaint against the larger ones, but I wish it were easier to make pottery after the first few. Like I don't mind hand crafting the first x amount but once you make a few of a given item it should just be automatic after that. The voxel crafting interface loses its charm fast.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

even then I'd rank it under like a dozen pretty similar games
Like which ones? I would appreciate a chill meditative game where you craft and rank up progression and tech trees, as you describe, but better than Raft.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I enjoyed Raft for what it was, and I don't regret the 20 hours it took me to reach the end of early-release storyline. Everyone's criticisms are perfectly valid but it was still a fun game to chill on.

I suppose I should start a new fresh game, but I expect I'll just pick up where I left off and finish up the game.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if it's crafting and tech trees you're after Vintage Story is still my on-and-off favorite tbh, I really like that they make you manipulate the voxels to 'make' an item vs. just combining inventory items. Subnautica's got a very similar kind of base-building to Raft going on and much better sharks though I think everyone's played it by now. Space Engineers is more about crafting than survival per se but you can make it survival-ey more easily than you can make Raft interesting, much better than when I tried it a couple years ago. Factorio/Satisfactory/Dyson Sphere Program obvs have automation built in and lots of very involved work on progression and putting systems together. No Man's Sky is ehhh maybe a little weaker on crafting but definitely chill and meditative. Minecraft and Terraria don't scratch quite the same itch for me but they're definitely heavy on crafting and construction, low-intensity until you go seeking out trouble, and I'd take either over Raft. If you're willing to branch out into management/non-first-person stuff Banished and Timberborn and Endzone are good ways to veg out and watch your little dudes slowly turn rocks into villages (probably just get one though, they're all essentially the same game). The Long Dark doesn't have base-building, your backpack is your raft, but has a very similar gameplay arc and vibes to what I think they were trying for where you just kinda hobo around the wasteland picking plants and stitching shoes.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 21, 2022

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I enjoyed Raft for what it was, and I don't regret the 20 hours it took me to reach the end of early-release storyline. Everyone's criticisms are perfectly valid but it was still a fun game to chill on.

I suppose I should start a new fresh game, but I expect I'll just pick up where I left off and finish up the game.

This is exactly how I feel about it and why I brought it up. It's got a vibe. Managing the shark & seagull attacks and navigating and making sure you have a weapon with enough durability for the shark and enough food and supplies for expeditions at the islands puts some pressure but it's not overwhelming. I enjoy trying to stay ahead of that pressure and eventually progressing and overcoming it.

Space Engineers is more about crafting than survival per se but you can make it survival-ey more easily than you can make Raft interesting, much better than when I tried it a couple years ago.

I bounced hard off of Space Engineers. Hardly seems like a game with the amount of actual engineering required. Just building a rover is way more complicated than slapping some wheels on a frame. You have to stop and constantly change the torque and grip of the tires and the firmness of the shocks based on the terrain, or hunt the workshop for a script that does it for you. It's impressive some of the things people make with that game but I'm too fried to think that hard after work. It can be hilarious how much one can mess up a "simple" thing like building a rover, and end up flipping or exploding it, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

if it's crafting and tech trees you're after Vintage Story is still my on-and-off favorite tbh, I really like that they make you manipulate the voxels to 'make' an item vs. just combining inventory items. Subnautica's got a very similar kind of base-building to Raft going on and much better sharks though I think everyone's played it by now. Space Engineers is more about crafting than survival per se but you can make it survival-ey more easily than you can make Raft interesting, much better than when I tried it a couple years ago. Factorio/Satisfactory/Dyson Sphere Program obvs have automation built in and lots of very involved work on progression and putting systems together. No Man's Sky is ehhh maybe a little weaker on crafting but definitely chill and meditative. Minecraft and Terraria don't scratch quite the same itch for me but they're definitely heavy on crafting and construction, low-intensity until you go seeking out trouble, and I'd take either over Raft. If you're willing to branch out into management/non-first-person stuff Banished and Timberborn and Endzone are good ways to veg out and watch your little dudes slowly turn rocks into villages (probably just get one though, they're all essentially the same game). The Long Dark doesn't have base-building, your backpack is your raft, but has a very similar gameplay arc and vibes to what I think they were trying for where you just kinda hobo around the wasteland picking plants and stitching shoes.
Some of these are all right, but I wouldn't really put Vintage Story or Minecraft on the same page as Raft, definitely not Factorio/Dyson Sphere, and Banished/Timberborn are not even remotely the same genre. Basically none of them have the same feel of Raft, but better. Subnautica is the only one I'd even really put in the same category, personally.
I think a lot of the games in this list are better than Raft but they're definitely not doing the same thing or scratching the same itch.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, random question, but I've been out of the survival loop for a while: Are there any good PC/Steam games with exploration and base-building that don't require a lot of grinding to get going? For instance, I've been itching to go back to No Man's Sky (more exploration than survival I know) to make like, an underwater base overlooking a nice coral reef to look at, between exploring the planet/solar system and to return to for storage etc, but I dunno, NMS never really rubbed me the right way 100%, so I didn't end up playing it a lot. Hard to explain.
I guess one of the things I wasn't keen on was how you couldn't build much of anything without spending some uncommon resource found in ruins to unlock one of a random selection of walls/floors etc, and things like that. Actually building things was OK once you got to that point, even if structures wouldn't necessarily align with the ground quite right all the time, heh.

Valheim was pretty decent when I tried it last year, but I'm gonna give that a while longer in the oven before diving into it fully. Not sure about any other feature-complete games though, at this point. I kinda like the idea of teleportation in NMS so that I can have a base on one side of the galaxy and explore anywhere in the universe, then get back home without spending an IRL day getting back home, but that's not essential. Bonus points if it actually incorporates survival mechanics, without being too overbearing about it, like needing to focus 90% on food gathering like with UnReal World. (Which is fantastic don't get me wrong, just not what I'm looking for right now)

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, random question, but I've been out of the survival loop for a while: Are there any good PC/Steam games with exploration and base-building that don't require a lot of grinding to get going? For instance, I've been itching to go back to No Man's Sky (more exploration than survival I know) to make like, an underwater base overlooking a nice coral reef to look at, between exploring the planet/solar system and to return to for storage etc, but I dunno, NMS never really rubbed me the right way 100%, so I didn't end up playing it a lot. Hard to explain.
I guess one of the things I wasn't keen on was how you couldn't build much of anything without spending some uncommon resource found in ruins to unlock one of a random selection of walls/floors etc, and things like that. Actually building things was OK once you got to that point, even if structures wouldn't necessarily align with the ground quite right all the time, heh.

creative mode solves this problem

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VegasGoat posted:

I bounced hard off of Space Engineers. Hardly seems like a game with the amount of actual engineering required. Just building a rover is way more complicated than slapping some wheels on a frame. You have to stop and constantly change the torque and grip of the tires and the firmness of the shocks based on the terrain, or hunt the workshop for a script that does it for you. It's impressive some of the things people make with that game but I'm too fried to think that hard after work. It can be hilarious how much one can mess up a "simple" thing like building a rover, and end up flipping or exploding it, though.

I mean, I just chucked a small thruster on top of the rover and had it going at incredibly low power as I drove for the same effect.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Major Isoor posted:

Valheim was pretty decent when I tried it last year, but I'm gonna give that a while longer in the oven before diving into it fully. Not sure about any other feature-complete games though, at this point. I kinda like the idea of teleportation in NMS so that I can have a base on one side of the galaxy and explore anywhere in the universe, then get back home without spending an IRL day getting back home, but that's not essential. Bonus points if it actually incorporates survival mechanics, without being too overbearing about it, like needing to focus 90% on food gathering like with UnReal World. (Which is fantastic don't get me wrong, just not what I'm looking for right now)

You might enjoy Astroneer.

No combat (there are a couple dangerous plants you can destroy), but fun exploration and base building. The primary survival threat is oxygen; your base replenishes O2 while you're nearby as long as it's powered. Recent updates have added some light automation, which I found fun to experiment with.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Major Isoor posted:

Subnautica 1 & 2

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Are there any goon discords or steam groups for Icarus? Seems right now they haven't finished the game to the point where public servers wouldn't be a griefing party, so you can only have servers that are solo or steam friends.

I know the thread thought the game was way underbaked when it hit EA last year, but they've been doing regular updates. I picked it up and it's a somewhat chill Space Bros Camping Trip Simulator once you stop being murdered by bears all the time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've actually been following their progress as well. Don't know when I'll jump back in but it's nice that it wasn't immediately abandoned I guess.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

VegasGoat posted:

A rover is way more complicated then any ship. You have to worry about center of mass and weight distribution in a rover but don't on a ship. I don't generally have to constantly mess with my wheel settings, but I guess that depends on where you're trying to drive the thing and what you're doing with it. A gyro also helps if you get airborne since you can try to correct for a landing.

This tutorial video by Splitsie is still accurate for wheels and rovers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SatcTlQjzkE

Just a note if you watch the other videos in that series that most were made a while ago and might have some inaccuracies. The "pistons and drills" video is somewhat out of date regarding collision meshes (most are more accurate to the model size now) and the large grid rotor/small grid head thing near the end (You now get the very small 1x1 advanced rotor head instead of the 3x3 one shown in the video when you hit the 'add small head' button).

e; also, the unmodded game really is more of a sandbox then a game, that is true. The most game-like scenario that still feels like space engineers proper is the Learning To Survive scenario. I kinda wish they added more of them that have you go between space and planets with some pre-set things to do/murder/explore. Mods help with that though.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 22, 2022

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I absolutely loved Space Engineers because of how much of a sandbox it was. You could get as relatively simple or complicated as you wanted. My chief complaint is that there's not a lot of NPC support, which the new new DLC they're working on might fix with the greatly expanded autonomous grid tech. I wanted to build a cool VTOL ship last week so I hopped in to creative mode and built it + blueprinted it for an eventual survival playthrough when they add the next DLC.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Protocol7 posted:

I've actually been following their progress as well. Don't know when I'll jump back in but it's nice that it wasn't immediately abandoned I guess.

My main complaints right now is some of the missions are obnoxiously grindy for a solo player. They are doable, just take a very long time. Like the one I'm on now is an early mission to farm a bunch of food, hunt and process a bunch of animals, then load the goods into a drop ship and send it to orbit. I am ranked up enough to get some decent bases setup, get the farm and hunting lodge going, have sustainable sources of food and water, etc. Then it's just ... waiting out timers and spawn rng. I literally spent like 4 hours waiting for crops to grow, schlepping water to the crops etc. You can do some exploration and tech development in the meantime but you gotta stay fairly close to the base to water and harvest the crops. It's like, after the first hour ok I understand how crops work now, and then 3 more hours of tedium while the grow clock ticks down and random bears wander by trying to gank me.

The game sessions can be 7, 14 days (of real world time) long though, and you can have your friends join and leave the game asynchronously (apparently, I clarified by asking on the discord but none of my friends own it currently). So the mission numbers make more sense if they had the expectation that 2 or 3 people would work together off and on over a few days. The idea of a time boxed private server instance where you and your friends can log-in and work on building bases and a bigger group goal over the course of a week or two is pretty interesting.

It's a pretty gorgeous and ambitious game though. The world map is huge, and they just added a second one.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mrmcd posted:

My main complaints right now is some of the missions are obnoxiously grindy for a solo player. They are doable, just take a very long time. Like the one I'm on now is an early mission to farm a bunch of food, hunt and process a bunch of animals, then load the goods into a drop ship and send it to orbit. I am ranked up enough to get some decent bases setup, get the farm and hunting lodge going, have sustainable sources of food and water, etc. Then it's just ... waiting out timers and spawn rng. I literally spent like 4 hours waiting for crops to grow, schlepping water to the crops etc. You can do some exploration and tech development in the meantime but you gotta stay fairly close to the base to water and harvest the crops. It's like, after the first hour ok I understand how crops work now, and then 3 more hours of tedium while the grow clock ticks down and random bears wander by trying to gank me.

The game sessions can be 7, 14 days (of real world time) long though, and you can have your friends join and leave the game asynchronously (apparently, I clarified by asking on the discord but none of my friends own it currently). So the mission numbers make more sense if they had the expectation that 2 or 3 people would work together off and on over a few days. The idea of a time boxed private server instance where you and your friends can log-in and work on building bases and a bigger group goal over the course of a week or two is pretty interesting.

It's a pretty gorgeous and ambitious game though. The world map is huge, and they just added a second one.

The game also has solo vs. group talent trees and last I heard you can't respec so either you use solo talents to optimize your solo play and suck in a group (those talents get disabled when playing with others IIRC) or you have a group char that sucks when solo.

Used to have permadeath if the RL mission timer expired before you completed the mission too but that's been changed/removed.

Some astoundingly bad design decisions in the game but it can be fun. I like their tree chopping implementation, it feels and sounds good, but mining rocks is just like pretty much every other rock mining game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vasudus posted:

I absolutely loved Space Engineers because of how much of a sandbox it was. You could get as relatively simple or complicated as you wanted. My chief complaint is that there's not a lot of NPC support, which the new new DLC they're working on might fix with the greatly expanded autonomous grid tech. I wanted to build a cool VTOL ship last week so I hopped in to creative mode and built it + blueprinted it for an eventual survival playthrough when they add the next DLC.

I liked Space Engineers right up until I actually got to space. Making mining craft and getting materials and building a spacecraft was all super cool. There didn't seem to be much interesting to do in space other than looking for uranium. I haven't played it for a long time, though.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Vib Rib posted:

It's a small complaint against the larger ones, but I wish it were easier to make pottery after the first few. Like I don't mind hand crafting the first x amount but once you make a few of a given item it should just be automatic after that. The voxel crafting interface loses its charm fast.

I was ignorant of it for longer than I should have been, but the "copy previous layer" placement mode is a ridiculous timesaver for a lot of the pottery stuff. Doesn't eliminate the tedium, but helps. Just wish I'd noticed it before building my first few storage vessels.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

StarkRavingMad posted:

I liked Space Engineers right up until I actually got to space. Making mining craft and getting materials and building a spacecraft was all super cool. There didn't seem to be much interesting to do in space other than looking for uranium. I haven't played it for a long time, though.

unless you change the settings or mod it resources aren't very hard to come by in space, it's mostly just complicated LEGO with a little bit of prospecting for the right kinds of asteroid. if you want more challenge you go into MP and build competing battlebots to fight over the good rocks or download a shitload of MES mods and banzai charge AI ships with your grinder like a high-intensity round of Hardspace Shipbreaker

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 22, 2022

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
Mods like scarce resources or aqd vanilla ore spawn will move ores to different planets to give you some progression as well. If you're comfortable with the game, Escape From Mars is a looting/salvaging scenario that is still maintained (not the duckroll one, someone else is maintaining it).

Plopping MES mods for npcs and encounters is also good. Some have bosses.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

Some of these are all right, but I wouldn't really put Vintage Story or Minecraft on the same page as Raft, definitely not Factorio/Dyson Sphere, and Banished/Timberborn are not even remotely the same genre. Basically none of them have the same feel of Raft, but better. Subnautica is the only one I'd even really put in the same category, personally.
I think a lot of the games in this list are better than Raft but they're definitely not doing the same thing or scratching the same itch.

idk you said chill and crafting and IMO those are the strongest overlap on that venn diagram. If you want more of a first-person survival focus you should definitely check out Green Hell, but it is definitely not chill. Closer to my vague recollections of Robinson's Requiem where absolutely everything is trying to kill you all of the time, but there's no monsters per se like in The Forest and you can make a neat little tree fort if you don't get a scratch and die of infection first

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RandomBlue posted:

The game also has solo vs. group talent trees and last I heard you can't respec so either you use solo talents to optimize your solo play and suck in a group (those talents get disabled when playing with others IIRC) or you have a group char that sucks when solo.

Used to have permadeath if the RL mission timer expired before you completed the mission too but that's been changed/removed.

Some astoundingly bad design decisions in the game but it can be fun. I like their tree chopping implementation, it feels and sounds good, but mining rocks is just like pretty much every other rock mining game.

The worst of that hasn't been true for along time.

Respeccing is in. Solo trees have their own progression and just deactivate if another player joins your game.

The worst thing about the talent trees is that I have found virtually no reason to spec into anything other than resource acquisition talents as a solo player. Being able to loot wood by breaking logs is a huge QOL improvement, as is minimizing time mining and increasing crop yield. :shrug:

Permadeath still exists, but the mission timers are nearly impossible to burn through--they now only tick down while the game is running. If you're not running some hardcore mission, it's basically impossible to accidentally lose a character.

They've also added in a number of enraging challenging enemies to the game (scorpions in the OG world, a slate of new critters in the second one). World bosses exist now--basically any boss mission enemy can show up in other missions as an optional challenge/hazard.

The offworld store has also been added to and tweaked a lot since launch. There are some objectively must-buy items, but there are some diverse options for equipment.

Oh, and you can mine exotics with T3 equipment now. And they've made the grind to T4 less awful. And they've added ways to get infinite resources. And they've just released an Outpost version of the Olympus (read: original world) map. Outposts are the permanent settlements you can build in.

It is incredibly enjoyable to watch the development unfold, and this feels a lot like what "early access" was intended to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Synastren posted:

The worst of that hasn't been true for along time.

Respeccing is in. Solo trees have their own progression and just deactivate if another player joins your game.

The worst thing about the talent trees is that I have found virtually no reason to spec into anything other than resource acquisition talents as a solo player. Being able to loot wood by breaking logs is a huge QOL improvement, as is minimizing time mining and increasing crop yield. :shrug:

Permadeath still exists, but the mission timers are nearly impossible to burn through--they now only tick down while the game is running. If you're not running some hardcore mission, it's basically impossible to accidentally lose a character.

They've also added in a number of enraging challenging enemies to the game (scorpions in the OG world, a slate of new critters in the second one). World bosses exist now--basically any boss mission enemy can show up in other missions as an optional challenge/hazard.

The offworld store has also been added to and tweaked a lot since launch. There are some objectively must-buy items, but there are some diverse options for equipment.

Oh, and you can mine exotics with T3 equipment now. And they've made the grind to T4 less awful. And they've added ways to get infinite resources. And they've just released an Outpost version of the Olympus (read: original world) map. Outposts are the permanent settlements you can build in.

It is incredibly enjoyable to watch the development unfold, and this feels a lot like what "early access" was intended to be.

Good to hear. I've been wanting to check it out again but keep getting side tracked.