Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bit weak for the last item set in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pope Guilty posted:

Bit weak for the last item set in the game.

:perfect:

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Posting here to say that after a year+, I've finally finished NGU.

Thank you for the great game 4G!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Man is Antimatter Technophobe a pain in the rear end.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Godsbane:

What are these relic things that drop from elite enemies? They don't seem to do anything, am I supposed to just trash them? They each have individual names, do I need to keep them all in my inventory because they only stack with like-named ones until they hit 999?

E: ugh I see now that there are more tabs that have opened up in the inventory, probably hours and hours ago. If you're going to open up more options within a single section of a game like this, you should probably have a big loving pop up and/or tutorial that directs your attention to it.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 17, 2022

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Nervous posted:

Man is Antimatter Technophobe a pain in the rear end.

I started my 3* technophobe last night. I can't wait to no longer have the soul gem wall to unlock virtual reality. Every ascension run ends up stuck there for an hour or three while I wait to luck into a soul gem.

[edit]
So far this hasn't been too bad at 3*. I'm about to enter the intergalactic phase. I'm guessing that powering the ascension machine will end up being the real problem, and the rest of the run isn't too much worse than a standard ascension.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 17, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Agent355 posted:

Godsbane:

What are these relic things that drop from elite enemies? They don't seem to do anything, am I supposed to just trash them? They each have individual names, do I need to keep them all in my inventory because they only stack with like-named ones until they hit 999?

E: ugh I see now that there are more tabs that have opened up in the inventory, probably hours and hours ago. If you're going to open up more options within a single section of a game like this, you should probably have a big loving pop up and/or tutorial that directs your attention to it.

It pops up en masse when you hit the zone, but there's so much in it that a bunch goes missing for me too. They're for unlocking something else that I haven't unlocked entirely yet either. All the memories from the elite enemies with the relics is really nice though.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Agent355 posted:

Godsbane:

Yeah, it's bad about telling you anything. In case you haven't figured it out yet, a stack of 999 relics can be traded for a unique item in the Uniques tab under the Character screen. Each zone has 2 or 3 different relics and you can unlock a few unique slots.

There also appears to be a way to level up uniques but I haven't figured out how to make that work yet?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Only the zones with elites have relics right? I don't think the first few zones even have elites. This zone has elites seemingly as a sort of mid-point before you can handle the following zone, which is exponentially harder than the one I'm on.

Currently I"m having good luck killing everything with health regen. There is a passive that makes you deal your health regen as damage to enemies for every third of your stamina bar, so it triggers 3 times per attack, hits all enemies, and stacking health regen is also going to keep you alive anyway. Though it does seem like my weapon damage is going to scale harder and I won't want to do this forever.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, dealing health regen as damage is kinda the ultimate early game perk. I'm sure at some point it makes sense to get rid of it, but I'm still using it. It doesn't completely destroy everything anymore, but if I can deal ~75% of an enemy's health it'll kill them before my turn comes back up again.

FWIW I'm mostly focusing on the left side of the paragon tree. Going for 2 handed weapons + Offensive status effects + Armor. It honestly works pretty well.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I started my 3* technophobe last night. I can't wait to no longer have the soul gem wall to unlock virtual reality. Every ascension run ends up stuck there for an hour or three while I wait to luck into a soul gem.

[edit]
So far this hasn't been too bad at 3*. I'm about to enter the intergalactic phase. I'm guessing that powering the ascension machine will end up being the real problem, and the rest of the run isn't too much worse than a standard ascension.

Yeah technophobe isn't really a problem by the time you're able to do normal ascensions as power is effectively infinite with the stellar engine so even if you can't physically build any more power buildings you'll still limp over the finish line. Just takes a while longer, but the reward is very worth it and stronger than it looks due to the way the traits for customs work.

Even the feat version of technophobe, Digital Ascension, hasn't ended up being that bad.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

WTFBEES posted:

Yeah, it's bad about telling you anything. In case you haven't figured it out yet, a stack of 999 relics can be traded for a unique item in the Uniques tab under the Character screen. Each zone has 2 or 3 different relics and you can unlock a few unique slots.

There also appears to be a way to level up uniques but I haven't figured out how to make that work yet?

If you go into the Rites tab to Forgotten Arts, you can choose which of the unique items to research while the elites are being fought. It seems like this is where they level. I still have a day left on my first one though, so it's just a guess. There's also the drops which give research to make it faster.

E: The drops are giving me around 1m off the timer each, so I'm guessing it'll be done with level 1 pretty quickly, but there are 9 more after it.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 17, 2022

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

With godsbane, is there some trick to making sure it actually calculates properly? I just left it running overnight, and came back and it says I have about 2 hours worth of time spent in this awakening.

I do lock my computer, so maybe keeping it unlocked will help, but thats pretty annoying

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If it's like other idle games I've played you either want to let it stay open while you're computer isn't asleep or locked for full online credit, or just turn it off completely to get offline credit.

Wouldn't be the first game where a computer going to sleep or w/e just makes the game freeze instead of progress.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Jhet posted:

If you go into the Rites tab to Forgotten Arts, you can choose which of the unique items to research while the elites are being fought. It seems like this is where they level. I still have a day left on my first one though, so it's just a guess. There's also the drops which give research to make it faster.

E: The drops are giving me around 1m off the timer each, so I'm guessing it'll be done with level 1 pretty quickly, but there are 9 more after it.

Yeah, that part I've done but it doesn't seem to level up your existing uniques. I assume you need to farm up a whole new one but lol gently caress that.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

WTFBEES posted:

Yeah, that part I've done but it doesn't seem to level up your existing uniques. I assume you need to farm up a whole new one but lol gently caress that.

I think the "LVL: 0" is a visual bug. No need to farm up new uniques, the Forgotten Arts tab will let you do that. Check the tooltip and you will see levels there make your uniques have better stats.

Another thing that may not be clear: Farm up elites as high as you can. You will get items that give you memories as well as research points, and also increase your base research per second significantly.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Godsbane:

So you can buff up the base stats of an item with crafting, and then later you can extract the resources by destroying the item and put them onto a different item. Do you risk losing anything by doing this? Or doe sthis allow me to pretty freely spend my crafting resources on buffing gear since I can get it back without any huge cost?

E: it seems like maybe you can only apply like to like? Armor is interchangeable but you still need to upgrade the same level of armor, so they have to come from the same zone. Weapons can only be applied to weapons?

I'm assuming this is because gear costs different levels of crafting goods to upgrade.

Of course not all gear of a given tier is created equal, not only the rarities, but it seems like the base stats get better further into the zone? Or maybe they're scaling with something else idk.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 19, 2022

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Godsbane:

So you can buff up the base stats of an item with crafting, and then later you can extract the resources by destroying the item and put them onto a different item. Do you risk losing anything by doing this? Or doe sthis allow me to pretty freely spend my crafting resources on buffing gear since I can get it back without any huge cost?

E: it seems like maybe you can only apply like to like? Armor is interchangeable but you still need to upgrade the same level of armor, so they have to come from the same zone. Weapons can only be applied to weapons?

I'm assuming this is because gear costs different levels of crafting goods to upgrade.

Of course not all gear of a given tier is created equal, not only the rarities, but it seems like the base stats get better further into the zone? Or maybe they're scaling with something else idk.

I think it has to be applied to gear of the same level, but rarity doesn't matter

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I started playing Crank today. It's pretty good so far.

https://faedine.com/games/crank/b39/

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mr Scumbag posted:

That one is a classic!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I like the concept but there's "active" and then there's "you will spend a lot of time holding down Mouse1".

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Pope Guilty posted:

I like the concept but there's "active" and then there's "you will spend a lot of time holding down Mouse1".

I found that I got past that part pretty quickly. Wasn't all that long before it turned from manual labor into managing power output vs production.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

inspire posted:

Butter major quests and do them manually is the quickest way. You can save up a bunch of majors and save scum it so you can idle a single zone, gather a ton of quest items and skip quests only switching on major quest when you know your farmed items can be used. I finished the game with ~975% QP gain from cards.

Else just wait because if you havent hardcapped sad ngus have you really finished?

Hmm, that sounds like too much effort. I think I'll just wait the 20 days to finish them.

I add about 50% to QP card gain per day so that might drop too.

After triggering "The End" I figured I'd just leave all the energy/magic on the NGUs and then load it back up in a year or something to find them capped.

You know, if I can be arsed. It's not like I capped all the sadistic augments or anything either.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Evolve idle has another of its holiday events going for the Solstice. Same as last year's where you just assign craftsmen to make thermite. The bonfire itself gives a massive boost to morale and there's a feat for burning 1m.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Evolve idle has another of its holiday events going for the Solstice. Same as last year's where you just assign craftsmen to make thermite. The bonfire itself gives a massive boost to morale and there's a feat for burning 1m.

The feat says 1 million but the goal on the box said 266,000 or so and that's when I got the feat.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zathril posted:

The feat says 1 million but the goal on the box said 266,000 or so and that's when I got the feat.

Mine said 289k so it probably scales to metaprogression.

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015
All the posts about Evolve are making it seem pretty deep and interesting. How feasible is it to play on mobile?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Giant Octopus posted:

All the posts about Evolve are making it seem pretty deep and interesting. How feasible is it to play on mobile?

I would say it's not feasible. Offline progression is in the form of accelerated time, but it's not uncommon to have things queued up that will take hours to complete. And also a third-party user script is more or less mandatory to automate some of the fiddly bits.

My mobile incremental gaming lifehack is to use Chrome Remote Desktop. It's better suited for some games than others, but it makes checking in on things easy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's me, one of the odd ones who hasn't used a script in Evolve Idle in nearly 14 million game days played. It can be done, but I totally understand those who do.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Giant Octopus posted:

Agreed with saying it's not feasible. To really progress you need to use an automation script and there's a whole bunch of small buttons and tabs - it's just not designed for it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sage Grimm posted:

It's me, one of the odd ones who hasn't used a script in Evolve Idle in nearly 14 million game days played. It can be done, but I totally understand those who do.

You probably want it to start now. I played both evolve and Trimps at their launch for over 2 years, never once wanted to script them.

Script both of them now, not back to where I was way back then on either of them yet and there's so so much more.

Play how you have fun, personally I don't script until something is annoying.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, I started when it was brand-new and haven’t touched scripts nor felt the need. Which is good because when I tried trimps and ended up using scripts I got bored very quickly and closed it. I know if I scripted I could be further along, but I just set arbitrary goals and spend months doing them now so I don’t really care.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I know people will quibble with the balance in some of these games, but I kind of don't mind the curve in Trimps. Would it be most optimal for me to do a bunch of very annoying shorter runs? Probably. Is it also fun to push up a bit further by leaving some offline progress to go overnight and then seeing where I land in the morning? Definitely.

Timing the reset based on when I'm gonna be able to play is kind of part of the strategy aspect for me right now. I might eventually automate it, but I might not care to.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

i don't script either tbh. the fiddling is kind of the point for me, and clicking the buttons is good

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I've got a question about Evolve and the script for it. I'm doing the Steelen challenge, and I'm up to the point trying to make the bioseeder ship, but if I have the script running it keeps using the steel for something, never letting it build up enough to build any of the ship. I tinkered around and can't figure out at all what it's doing with that steel. Right now I just have turned the script off and it's accruing that way, but I'd love to figure out what's going on. Anyone have any clue?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You can hover over the resource on the left side to see what buttons have their text turn green; this tells you this resource is used for that building. Maybe it's being used for Oil Derricks? Or building ARPA Railways?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

That's the weird thing, nothing is getting built with the steel. It never accumulates more than a thousand or so before its production drops to -400/s and empties out my supply. It's extremely strange.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is it selling the steel?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I've got the no free trade challenge on. And it isn't switching the trade routes at all, so the whole time my trade routes are getting me steel, but it just drains away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So it's actually showing up as a drain in the left-side panel? If you hover over that production number it'll tell you exactly what's producing and consuming it at that exact moment, so you should be able to figure out what's up.