Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah that's the frustrating part about this. There are a lot of valid reasons for Kat to go to the other court but the one we are given isn't one of them. It's just a complete 180 of everything we know about Kat.

Though, I still think it's going to be a fake out to stir up drama before we figure out Kat's real reason for going much later. But if that's the case I wish he'd just play it straight cause I think this plot development would be interesting enough without needing to inject fake drama into it.

I feel like if it was supposed to be a fake they would have had Annie be more incredulous and confused, like asking what specifically she intends to do in the Court, but then... they just had this kinda pointless and confusing debate on morality that echoes poo poo Kat has heard before.

I would love for it to be fake, genuinely, but I just can't say I have the faith to believe that anymore especially with how WEIRD it's been handled. You could put a "sike" at the end of every chapter and it'd make sense with how bizarre it's been and that seems like a big ole writing red flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Tiny Myers posted:

I would love for it to be fake, genuinely

Really sums up a lot of the recent discourse

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Fecha posted:

Really sums up a lot of the recent discourse

Gunnerkrigg Court: I would love for it to be fake, genuinely

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

JuniperCake posted:

Though, I still think it's going to be a fake out to stir up drama before we figure out Kat's real reason for going much later. But if that's the case I wish he'd just play it straight cause I think this plot development would be interesting enough without needing to inject fake drama into it.

Still waiting for the reveal that Annie knows about Jerrick and Loup?

Tiny Myers posted:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Tiny Myers posted:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tiny Myers posted:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Nooo don't replace the title so soon :(

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I actually prefer the current title, but that one is pretty good too

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Still waiting for the reveal that Annie knows about Jerrick and Loup?

Nah, I think if he intended for that to be a ruse he would have hammed it up a lot more. Like we would have gotten a speech from Annie espousing how Jerrick is the most trustworthy person she's ever met or something before showing that she knew he was Loup all along later.

You know it would have been something on the same level as Kat espousing that she's suddenly onboard 100% with the court's lack of ethics moments before she gets taken away to a secret meeting with the shadow men.

I wonder though, do you think she'll come back to Annie to tell her she's leaving? Or is she just going to vanish after tonight and this is the last time Annie talks to Kat for a while.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Seems like this is the first invitation they've seen, so how are they drawing the conclusion that everyone who got one was ether-insensitive?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
It was only the first one Annie and Kat had seen. The other kids had gotten a bunch and it would have quickly become apparent what was going on.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I would like to see the headmaster put in an appearance this chapter.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

worm girl posted:

It was only the first one Annie and Kat had seen. The other kids had gotten a bunch and it would have quickly become apparent what was going on.

I mean, yeah it's probably that. But the way it's presented to us makes it look like they just walked into this situation, Kat got the letter, Annie and Rey had their side chat and then immediately talked to her again. She's still holding the torn envelope and letter just like the last page. Maybe I'm getting nit-picky with how shaky the narrative has been lately, but it just feels like they're pulling plot-relevant information out of thin air.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I think they’re connecting dots to what Shell said before, which was that they’d be making a new Court without any Ether-sensitive people. Feels like it’s a natural conclusion to lead off of based on prior information; if anything this little scene with the other students just felt too rushed with pushing Kat to the meeting.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I mean, yeah it's probably that. But the way it's presented to us makes it look like they just walked into this situation, Kat got the letter, Annie and Rey had their side chat and then immediately talked to her again. She's still holding the torn envelope and letter just like the last page. Maybe I'm getting nit-picky with how shaky the narrative has been lately, but it just feels like they're pulling plot-relevant information out of thin air.

Annie intuiting this is about recruiting the non-magic kids with the info they have makes sense. I'm not sure why she's reaching out to Reynard for confirmation only the non-magic students got the invite since he was with Annie and Kat the whole time and wouldn't have any more information than they do. Paz or one of their friend would make more sense.

...I wonder if Kat's even told Paz about the whole anti-magic conspiracy?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 14, 2022

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I kinda wish we had a panel seeing which of the other kids got invitations or not, just for curiosity's sake. It could maybe further establish realistic tension for Kat, and involve the kids a little more into the story again.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Well it was only Janet, Winsbury, and Paz there and we know Paz and Janet have powers, so probably only Winsbury and Kat got them out of that group. I assume we'll see who shows up at the meeting.

Janet is a really good archer but I don't remember whether that's because of magic or not. She is the headmaster's daughter, though.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Feels a little telling we've had two updates with nobody, like... posting anything. They're just so dull that there's not much to say, even with a cool rear end warrior girl teleporting our protagonist to fight the comic's current main antagonist.

I'm wondering what the knowing glance and "O-oh?" between Annie and Renard is. Hopeful brain says it has to do with Annie knowing that Jerrek is really Loup. Logical brain says it's just that they didn't tell Parley or anyone else about their dumbass grassroots attempt to catch Loup earlier in the day with two naive robots.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The past chapters have been dull and little chance of anyone actually being hurt or killed.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Yeah, just not much to say about the current pages, not until we get a little further along and learn what we're doing here.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't know why but for some reason that 'o-oh?' panel finally completely broke me

like why be weird about poo poo with parley, someone you faced down death with

none of these characters will ever act in a way that makes sense with previous events again

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I read the "oh?" panel as them going "well we just teased Loup into attacking, but we can't just go out and SAY that, so let's pretend we don't know"

Which of course raises the question of why didn't they bring Parley along on the attempt to capture Loup? It seems like she had no idea it happened, or I'd think she'd ask about if this attack is related.

E: also I'm not sure I'd say these pages are dull, more the comic as a whole. In theory they're exciting because oh poo poo, the court is being attacked! The problem is the last several chapters have robbed the comic of any stakes. The last TWO times Loup attacked the court no one named was harmed and there were no consequences to any characters we care about. So why should we care that he's attacking again? He'll damage some buildings we don't care about, maybe hurt some people we don't know at worst, and that'll be that. Maybe the comic will finally deliver on Loup being a threat, but we have no way of knowing that so as of now there's just no tension being built when the comic is spending time trying to do so.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 19, 2022

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Show me Loup killing someone from the cast the readers care about and maybe people will take him seriously. No one got so much as a scratch, a scar, or got written out of the story like the fairies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I read the "oh?" panel as them going "well we just teased Loup into attacking, but we can't just go out and SAY that, so let's pretend we don't know"
Yeah exactly.

Which of course raises the question of why didn't they bring Parley along on the attempt to capture Loup? It seems like she had no idea it happened, or I'd think she'd ask about if this attack is related.
Also yeah exactly. The "O-oh?" would make sense with a lot of people, but Parley?

You could argue this is an extension of the Red thing where she's trying to keep people out of her dangerous self imposed world saving schemes... but she brought two robots.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
At this point, it's really hard to figure out if characters are behaving odd because there is something suspicious going on that will be explained later, or if they are behaving odd because they are just written badly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

To me the "O-oh?" is either surprise because like you said, they taunted Loup into doing something and he is... oops.

Or the "O-oh?" is because Parley is going "Loup has finally shown himself." And Annie has to play off how she's already seen Loup again, maybe with a side of confusion because Loup randomly attacking someplace else is strange? Which could be interesting because it could lead to the whole situation being a setup by the Court. But that's more convoluted and it'd be easier to default to More Loup Shenanigans.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
annie and kat attempting to capture loup with literally zero involvement from anyone else except for random robots seems to have been one of their dumber ideas!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This all feels so rushed

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What the hell is this DBZ villain Loup?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Final boss fight against Trance Loup.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

What the hell is this DBZ villain Loup?

Remember Loup's first appearance?

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1963
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1972
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1977

He hasn't gone upright like this in a long time, but it's just about the first thing he did.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I was wondering why this page looked artistically odd, especially Loup, and I think a big chunk of it is there’s no shadows. Everyone’s shaded flat, including him, while he’s next to multiple light sources. It makes him look cut and pasted. Compare even a few pages back with https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2637 where you can see shading/highlights based on a similar close lightsource and it’s fairly obvious.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bipedal fur

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Kantesu posted:

Remember Loup's first appearance?

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1963
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1972
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1977

He hasn't gone upright like this in a long time, but it's just about the first thing he did.

It's also how Ysengrin always stood. He even gets made fun of for looking down on humans when he so obviously wants to be like them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
RIP Reynard...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is so rushed it's stupid, I feel nothing from what should be a major emotional twist.

I think I'm done with this, just gonna unbookmark.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The faces seem to suggest that these are high stakes but I don't feel like it's ever been motivated why we should care. Reynard certainly never makes any move to recover his body.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Their faces almost look exaggerated for comic effect, like I'm having trouble getting the vibe this continued headlong zerg rush to the plot end game is going for

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I guess the stakes here are that if Loup takes back the body-stealing power now, Reynard has nowhere left to go? But I assume he can just stay a wolf, taking the power won't give the body back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, yeah, but it lacks a bit of oomph since he’s been in that body for like two decades now. Oh no, he can’t…do the thing he has done like once in the entire storyline?

Destroying the body carries a bit more weight, but it’s not like he’s been pining for his original body.