Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I read this thread from time to time. Just wanted to say thanks for letting me know about Gloomwood. I really enjoyed the demo, didn't find it too annoying to use the phonographs for saving since the way the levels are laid out it's very easy to backtrack/take a shortcut. I never enjoyed the horror aspect of Thief as much as a lot of other people seem to, but the gameplay was somehow simple yet the essence of Thief, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Did somebody already mention Diabotical? It's basically Unreal Tournament but all robots. Aside from the general feeling of gunplay which is always questionable, it's pretty family-friendly with gameplay that's deep enough to hold up at a LAN party.

On the downside, I've found it doesn't have the most robust play options. No native gamepad support for example. Although it's been a while since I've checked.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Shadow Hog posted:

As far as kid-friendly deathmatch goes, there's also Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force's HoloMatch mode, which has bots and everything. I'm sure the Star Trek aspect of it will go entirely over her head (Voyager isn't even the best Star Trek if we're being honest), but the combat was pretty satisfying. Raven did good.

Or I guess Team Fortress 2 has the -sillygibs parameter. Players still bleed as I recall, but when they should explode into giblets, it isn't gross chunks of meat and bone as is usual, but cheeseburgers, springs, balloon dogs etc. It also has bot support and I don't mean the ones making public servers unusable so you don't have to go online with it, either.

In that regard Team Fortress 2 Classic and Open Fortress might be good choices as both have better performance than regular TF2, don't have it's Bot problems, and with some option tweaks to disable/hide chat(both voice and text) and disable sprays it would probably be relatively safe for even a kid to play

Also besides the Sillygibs option there are launch parameters and console commands one can use to turn off blood and gibs, though honestly TF2's in game* violence is so cartoony that I don't really see it as an actual issue for a kid to see but still good options to have(don't disable ragdolls though)

*mind you the Meet The Team videos get a fair bit more visceral in comparison

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've beaten M2 again this morning and I'm glad to report it's still my favorite FPS ever twenty-some years running :xd:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

I mean I'm certain that Roblox has what you're looking for in there somewhere but as I'm over the age of 13 the entire thing is an enigma to me.

Roblox is a freaking scam and no one should introduce their kid to that poo poo like ever.

Here's Quinns from Shut Up and Sit Down explain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXlauRB1EQ

And the follow up where Roblox wanted them to take down their critique!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 20, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah kids are going to come across Roblox no matter what through their peers, but you gotta know beforehand that it scams kids (and their parent's money) by promising them fame and fortune in exchange for their free labor in making mods.

Like this isn't just making Doom or Quake or Unreal mods as we did back in the day where Id and Epic gave everyone the tools and then had no further involvement, they actually charge kids (virtual currency that can be bought for real money) for promoting their mod on the front page, promising them that they can make it big and earn (virtual currency) if their mod is real popular. Naturally this causes a race to the top because everyone has to outbid each other for placement, with Roblox Corp laughing all the way to the bank.

It's important that they took everything about the 90s and 2000s FPS modding scene and asked themselves how they could twist it around to exploit kids.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 20, 2022

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

DoombatINC posted:

I've beaten M2 again this morning and I'm glad to report it's still my favorite FPS ever twenty-some years running :xd:

It's in my top 5 for sure. There's some frustrating moments but as an overall package it's got GREAT guns, an engaging story told in a non-intrusive way, I love the enemy roster, I love the setting, it's just so god drat satisfying. Those shotguns. :swoon: The plasma pistol :swoon: The assault rifle with the grenade launcher! :swoon:

I think my biggest beef is that it really should have had a soundtrack. I didn't like any of the tracks from M1 but I feel like the exotic alien setting could have lent to great mix of ambient and melody driven music. I wonder what it would have sounded like.

Midi LORN?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx4_aOfkio

Daniel Lopatin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2AF_DJgdjM

Amos Rody?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3JHqhpiwhI

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Now this is making me wonder what the best soundtrack to put on the background when playing M2 would be.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

verbal enema posted:

i wont lie after 3+ hours of doing the, i assume, the last fight in CountryCide i have abdicated and will try again later

someone please also do this map on UV it is assbreakingly hard

thanks for mentioning this map it sucks really bad. just awful

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

An Actual Princess posted:

thanks for mentioning this map it sucks really bad. just awful

how far you get? im fighting the triple octopus monsters encounter at the very end and i hate it so much

Trenchfoot should kick rear end though

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ToxicFrog posted:

Now this is making me wonder what the best soundtrack to put on the background when playing M2 would be.

I played a few levels just now with Unreal's OST on and it fit pretty well.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

verbal enema posted:

how far you get? im fighting the triple octopus monsters encounter at the very end and i hate it so much

Trenchfoot should kick rear end though

i beat it and it sucked. awful to look at, the octopus monsters are annoying to fight, nowhere near enough ammo throughout, just a loving mess

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Timesplitters might be alright for kids because it's..I dunno, cartoonishly violent? Honestly Ratchet and Clank might work too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

An Actual Princess posted:

i beat it and it sucked. awful to look at, the octopus monsters are annoying to fight, nowhere near enough ammo throughout, just a loving mess

i appreciate someone going through what i had to go through

i like the big underground zone i like the story but eugh it was a rough one

it felt a lot more Blood than Doom? kinda of? very off something isnt right in it

and yeah those octo things can gently caress right off

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Force Engine news! The hardware render is coming along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRDxw_jHig

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

Force Engine news! The hardware render is coming along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRDxw_jHig

Ah yes, what better level to show off than the fan-favorite dismal sewer that uses like three textures.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Did somebody already mention Diabotical? It's basically Unreal Tournament but all robots. Aside from the general feeling of gunplay which is always questionable, it's pretty family-friendly with gameplay that's deep enough to hold up at a LAN party.

On the downside, I've found it doesn't have the most robust play options. No native gamepad support for example. Although it's been a while since I've checked.

Yeah this is 100% the answer. Free, low violence, mashup of Q3 and UT. The map editor isn't as simple as plopping bricks down in Minecraft but it's decent. The real mark against it is only relevant if you want to really get in to the multiplayer: the incredibly low playerbase makes it effectively dead. Oh and no bots (except for a horde mode gametype) if you do want single player.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Timesplitters might be alright for kids because it's..I dunno, cartoonishly violent? Honestly Ratchet and Clank might work too.

Tbh "cartoonishness" is one of the reasons UT made my shortlist and MW did not -- the player models are mostly exaggerated robots and aliens, the physics and animations are intentionally unrealistic, the weapons are all weird sci-fi blasters, and that all combines to give it a very cartoony vibe. Especially with gore off -- sparks and smoke come out of players when shot, and when you frag someone, there's a big cloud of smoke and then their skeleton falls out of it.

TF2/TF2C might also be a good choice in that vein, thanks to those who suggested it.

I've also never heard of Shootmania; I guess it's the FPS counterpart to Trackmania?

Squeezy Farm posted:

Yeah this is 100% the answer. Free, low violence, mashup of Q3 and UT. The map editor isn't as simple as plopping bricks down in Minecraft but it's decent. The real mark against it is only relevant if you want to really get in to the multiplayer: the incredibly low playerbase makes it effectively dead. Oh and no bots (except for a horde mode gametype) if you do want single player.

I think lack of bots makes it a writeoff, because once she gets her desire to 1v1 me out of her system she is definitely going to want to play CTF, and for that you really need teams. And bots, in addition to not needing to worry about them being shitheads in chat, can have their skill levels dialed down so that they're an appropriate matchup for a newbie.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I played a few levels just now with Unreal's OST on and it fit pretty well.

I have a tendency to forget that U1 had a soundtrack at all, to me "the unreal soundtrack" is UT99's absolute banger of an OST. I should dump the UMXes and give that a shot.

...next time I'm planning M2, which probably won't be this week because I have a Doom mod to finish writing. I just finished implementing the "burning enemies explode in a pillar of flame that ignites all enemies around them when killed" upgrade and I think now I'm just a bunch of boring UI stuff away from releasing v0.2.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
You could just play censored German versions of classic shooters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAiukb0bEZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alIBAUO_CUM

tbh john mullins is a much more sympathetic character when he's fighting an army of killer androids

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 21, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

david_a posted:

Ah yes, what better level to show off than the fan-favorite dismal sewer that uses like three textures.
Lucius says for his next video he’ll probably do Nar Shaddaa and a mod level to show of perspective correct rendering and other associated options.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, random question, is Selaco the only nu-old-shooter with weapon upgrades?

E: Not including Ultrakill's variants.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
New cultic demo has upgrades too. There are generic "weapons parts" throughout the map and you can upgrade any weapon in your inventory at a workbench. Upgrades involve using some number of weapon parts. Stone upgrades for the pistol include increased damage, better reload speed, and adding a burst alt-fire for example.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Thread inspired me to play through Marathon 2 again and yeah, it still rules. The ship levels are unbelievably balls to the wall

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

skasion posted:

Thread inspired me to play through Marathon 2 again and yeah, it still rules. The ship levels are unbelievably balls to the wall

It’s a great stretch in an already good game. “If I Had A Rocket Launcher” is the best. Respawning shotgun ammo so you just go apeshit on all those Troopers.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ANGER
FOOT

music is PERFECT

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh good, everyone got transported away just before they were injured. What an efficient and effective OHAS system Black Mesa has in place!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I wonder if we'll see an uptick in games adopting gabber as a soundtrack choice if Anger Foot is successful, and honestly I think it's gonna be one of those surprise hits. Hotline Miami's success was at least a partial, if not major driving force behind the explosion of popularity in modern synthwave music and Anger Foot really stands out for its incredible soundtrack and gorgeous presentation. I'd love to see more games adopting its 90's cartoon grunge style, Sludge Life is one of the only other major ones I can think of recently.

Out of all the recent demos Selaco and Anger Foot are the two that I'm definitely a lock-in for buying. Cultic is solid but I need to know how well it can keep up the atmosphere and if the levels get tighter, there were a lot of open areas that felt at odds at the kind of ranges that feel good to fight in in that game. Visually it's a very impressive homage to Blood, but Blood wants you to revel in violence whereas Cultic seems to be more on the horror side of things. Trepang2 seems like a really good tech demo but it's super eager to spoil the player with all the good stuff in the demo, which is fine but if it's like that in the full game it's gonna start out ridiculous and then have nowhere to go from there.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 22, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
very short (3 mins) vid of the first 3 levels of Anger Foot after i figured out how to record sound lmao ignore the few couple of choppy bits idk what that was about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVvQSZH67k

im not doing anything nuts but this game feels very smooth very together and its like version 0.18.7 or some poo poo lol

when your volume is UP UP in this game the soundtrack loving KICKS

i need to land a double kick into pistol throw then im golden imo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
HROT has updated with the full second episode, and is now also on GOG, should that be the way you perfer to attain your legally licensed entertainment software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkp7rxMxSoU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

verbal enema posted:

very short (3 mins) vid of the first 3 levels of Anger Foot after i figured out how to record sound lmao ignore the few couple of choppy bits idk what that was about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVvQSZH67k

im not doing anything nuts but this game feels very smooth very together and its like version 0.18.7 or some poo poo lol

when your volume is UP UP in this game the soundtrack loving KICKS

i need to land a double kick into pistol throw then im golden imo

that'sapenisdotgifexceptthat'shotlinemiami.gif

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m almost done with the second expansion in Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Breakthrough.

It goes from being a really entertaining cinematic action experience to being an incredibly difficult slog where you’re always squeezed for ammo and RNG constantly gets you killed. Like I’m save-scumming like crazy; creep along, every time I get shot, hit F9 to reload, every time I kill an enemy, pause to make sure some other enemy isn’t going to hit me and then F5 to save.

For some baffling reason, Breakthrough doesn’t let you pick up guns from dead Nazis to replenish your ammo like you could in the base game and the other expansion Spearhead. I spent an entire half of a mission using my pistol to counter-snipe Nazis because I ran out of ammo for everything else.

It felt like I was playing the video game version of the movie Edge of Tomorrow, if I’d edited together the footage of me actually succeeding it would have looked like a flawless run where I snipe enemies as they spawn with preternatural skill, never get hit, and have an accuracy of 100% with every weapon.

Really looking forward to this being over so I can move in to OG Call of Duty 1.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I remember Breakthrough being too heavy for my PC back in the day. It could run AA no problem but the expansion was slightly more intensive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xenomrph posted:

I’m almost done with the second expansion in Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Breakthrough.

It goes from being a really entertaining cinematic action experience to being an incredibly difficult slog where you’re always squeezed for ammo and RNG constantly gets you killed. Like I’m save-scumming like crazy; creep along, every time I get shot, hit F9 to reload, every time I kill an enemy, pause to make sure some other enemy isn’t going to hit me and then F5 to save.

For some baffling reason, Breakthrough doesn’t let you pick up guns from dead Nazis to replenish your ammo like you could in the base game and the other expansion Spearhead. I spent an entire half of a mission using my pistol to counter-snipe Nazis because I ran out of ammo for everything else.

It felt like I was playing the video game version of the movie Edge of Tomorrow, if I’d edited together the footage of me actually succeeding it would have looked like a flawless run where I snipe enemies as they spawn with preternatural skill, never get hit, and have an accuracy of 100% with every weapon.

Really looking forward to this being over so I can move in to OG Call of Duty 1.

I'm curious to hear if Call of Duty holds up. I have really, really fond memories of Call of Duty being great, and played a good amount of the multiplayer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I played COD1 very recently and tbh I don’t think it held up that well, but that’s more the technical limitations of the level design. The set pieces are cool.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

COD1 was loving amazing back in the day, I remember being blown away by all the ai soldiers that would kinda follow you around in the original demo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The expansion of COD1 went really hard on the set-pieces IIRC.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pavlov's House is an all time FPS level.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

God I played so much MoH multiplayer back in the day, was in a clan and everything, bolt action rifles and grenade only servers limited to one sniper per team, no m1 Garand, or German equivalent. Enfield is still my favorite bolt gun to use in that game, same as a sniper. The Delisle was a loving beast.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jiro posted:

God I played so much MoH multiplayer back in the day, was in a clan and everything, bolt action rifles and grenade only servers limited to one sniper per team, no m1 Garand, or German equivalent. Enfield is still my favorite bolt gun to use in that game, same as a sniper. The Delisle was a loving beast.
I will say this, the Italian guns in Breakthrough are fantastic and outclass any other guns in the game, the Carcano bolt-action rifle hits really hard and usually one-shots enemies, and the SMG is super powerful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I tried going back to whatever the Medal of Honor is that’s on game pass but man those early 2000s ww2 shooters can be rough. And they are all stuffed with archival footage with a British dude talking over it.