Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lex Neville posted:

i bought a spurcycle bell today... :shepspends:

it's so good though. my friend has one and no other bell i've come across can compare

I have one too, and it's great.

But for some reason my 2013 Brompton's bell is considerably louder ... but doesn't look as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I have a Priority 600 that I originally purchased to be a winter/rain commuter bike... in February 2020. I stopped going into the office a full 2 weeks after it was delivered. Now that my company is fully remote, and as a software person, I may never commute again, it's fair to say I haven't used it to its full potential!

My plan b for it is to be my bikepacking bike (or more accurately, gravel/rails-to-trails/backroads touring bike, since I don't plan on doing much single track, or really anything super technical, at least for now). I took it out last weekend and it was great, but the rear WTB Horizon tire (650b 47c, the tan sidewall version from the link) it came with punctured, including small holes in the tire, in 3 places. So, looking for 2 recommendations

1) Should I go tubeless? I never have before, but supposedly these wheels and tires are tubeless ready (though I have seen a YT video saying they need to be re-taped, and another review that mentioned these tires with the tan sidewalls absorb sealant really quickly). The punctures are pretty small, it seems like the perfect application for tubeless from what I understand.

2) Anyone have recommended tires for my application? It felt like these slicks were the right balance, since they were wide enough that the light gravel and compacted limestone of trails around here were no problem, but still rolled well on pavement, which is the majority of what I ride (this last ride was 65/35 paved/unpaved). But if every time I ride a trail I get punctures, it's going to be annoying, especially since I've taken my old road bike on these trails with no trouble -- granted with Gatorskins, but still. Or are these decent tires and I just got unlucky?

Lastly, not for this bike, but for the Cannondale I've been posting about a lot, anyone have experience with Powertap P1 powermeter pedals? Seems like used ones go on eBay pretty regularly for ~$250. I wasn't planning on getting a power meter, but I'm in the market for clipless pedals anyway, at that price, as long as they aren't horrible, seems decent. The reviews I've read talk about decreased turning angles and that they're a bit heavy, but I'm not racing, this would be my first power measurement ever, doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Sorry for the huge dump of questions, here's a picture of my bike and the tiny 2 site campground where I camped:

EDIT: Looking at WTB's website, they're now suggesting 25-45 PSI. The tirewall says 30-60 and I was running 60. That might have something to do with it I suppose.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 21, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress chain drops

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
Newbie here to adult (pedal)bikes and starting to figure out my preferences---wanting a dropper post now. I have a new rockhopper comp 29 in medium. My current seat height I am measuring right at 160mm from the seat bracket down to the seat post collar. I think I could use a few more MM in height in a full pedal position when trail riding but I could also make due as-is I believe. Need to experiment a little there. But, that said, am I overlooking anything or will this post be in my range?
https://www.amazon.com/Fusion-Integ...ing%2C81&sr=1-1

I can also get this locally at a shop I like but it will take longer and be $247 out the door. I like to shop w/ these guys but not sure if the effort is warranted having to transfer from their warehouse + the time to go pick up. $150-250 range with lever and cable kit is my range I guess. Gravitated to that one on amazon because it is what I see on my local shops site that I think(in my novice guess) is in the range I need.

This thread moves quick too and the bicycle world is pretty vast. Maybe I should have found this hobby sooner

MoonCricket fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 22, 2022

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

For $1000, go for the best Specialized Rockhopper or Giant Talon you can find.

E: the Talon is more bang for your buck but either is fine

A little late here but thank you for the suggestion. I got a rockhopper comp 29 and it's exactly what I had in mind. The local shop I remember my mom taking me to as a kid hooked me up and happy to say they are still the chill shop I remember them going out of their way to help us fix my bike as a kid after it was ran into by a car.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

that post has 150mm travel and the actual full extension beyond the seapost clamp will probably be at least ~30mm greater than that (this should be on the manufacturer's website) so you're a couple of cm beyond your 160mm figure.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Grumpwagon posted:

1) Should I go tubeless? I never have before, but supposedly these wheels and tires are tubeless ready (though I have seen a YT video saying they need to be re-taped, and another review that mentioned these tires with the tan sidewalls absorb sealant really quickly). The punctures are pretty small, it seems like the perfect application for tubeless from what I understand.

2) Anyone have recommended tires for my application? It felt like these slicks were the right balance, since they were wide enough that the light gravel and compacted limestone of trails around here were no problem, but still rolled well on pavement, which is the majority of what I ride (this last ride was 65/35 paved/unpaved). But if every time I ride a trail I get punctures, it's going to be annoying, especially since I've taken my old road bike on these trails with no trouble -- granted with Gatorskins, but still. Or are these decent tires and I just got unlucky?

Lastly, not for this bike, but for the Cannondale I've been posting about a lot, anyone have experience with Powertap P1 powermeter pedals? Seems like used ones go on eBay pretty regularly for ~$250. I wasn't planning on getting a power meter, but I'm in the market for clipless pedals anyway, at that price, as long as they aren't horrible, seems decent. The reviews I've read talk about decreased turning angles and that they're a bit heavy, but I'm not racing, this would be my first power measurement ever, doesn't seem like a huge deal.

1) Yes, perfect use case. It may or may not be a hassle for your bike but once you're there, it's amazing never having to think about getting a flat ever again.

2) Stick with what you've got if they are tubeless compatible.

- No experience personally with Powertap (I have Assiomas) but I enjoy having a power meter, helps me pace myself on longer rides. I got dual sided but think it was a waste of money for me. I'm within a few % all the time and I don't specifically train to try to balance it out. Just don't care enough to waste energy on it. Turning radius is a non-issue in my experience. Biggest complaint I could see is being locked into 3-bolt shoes. If you want to put them on a bike that could at some point require some walking/hike-a-bike, you're going to want mtb style 2-bolt shoes and be stuck.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MoonCricket posted:

A little late here but thank you for the suggestion. I got a rockhopper comp 29 and it's exactly what I had in mind. The local shop I remember my mom taking me to as a kid hooked me up and happy to say they are still the chill shop I remember them going out of their way to help us fix my bike as a kid after it was ran into by a car.

Nice dude! Hope you have a blast on the trails!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ive been getting a lot more comfortable with the stumpjumper over the last week. Last time I posted I was worried the dropper was too high for me. I honestly think I had just lost the muscle memory on starting and stopping a bike properly. Since then I’ve had no problem getting off the seat and getting back on even at full dropper height. Huh. Kind of embarrassing.

Anyways I ended up needing to raise the saddle an inch or so, not lower it. And it was angled too far up, above level, so I pointed it down a bit a little and that helped immensely.

I went on my first trail ride with it and did a couple thousand feet of climbing. (More than I thought I could do) Easy flow downhill but that’s just what I need to start off with. The bike feels properly good and very fast. No complaints about suspension at all either, which is a relief since that was a big part of why I didn’t like my old cannondale.

Still have a lot of work to do on getting the bike to handle tighter turns though, which of course was always going to be a challenge being short and coming from 26/27” bikes and also having done road bikes for so long in between. It kind of feels like the front wheel has a mind of its own at the moment, ie me being surprised by it sort of jutting out too far, losing balance a little and then I am over correcting. I think I just don’t have a good feel for it yet. I don’t want to over think it but line choice seems pretty important with this bike.

I’m also thinking about throwing the extra spacer or two under the handlebars and seeing how that feels.. to take a little pressure off my hands while pedaling long distance but unsure if it’s going to make handling harder. This is one of this downhill vs level/uphill pedaling comfort trade off things isn’t it?

It feels sooooo good to be back out there in the woods.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Grumpwagon posted:

I have a Priority 600 that I originally purchased to be a winter/rain commuter bike... in February 2020. I stopped going into the office a full 2 weeks after it was delivered. Now that my company is fully remote, and as a software person, I may never commute again, it's fair to say I haven't used it to its full potential!

My plan b for it is to be my bikepacking bike (or more accurately, gravel/rails-to-trails/backroads touring bike, since I don't plan on doing much single track, or really anything super technical, at least for now). I took it out last weekend and it was great, but the rear WTB Horizon tire (650b 47c, the tan sidewall version from the link) it came with punctured, including small holes in the tire, in 3 places. So, looking for 2 recommendations

Sorry for the huge dump of questions, here's a picture of my bike and the tiny 2 site campground where I camped:

EDIT: Looking at WTB's website, they're now suggesting 25-45 PSI. The tirewall says 30-60 and I was running 60. That might have something to do with it I suppose.

I had powertap P1 pedals. Had to warranty them twice. On the second go they replaced them with the P2 version. Those lasted another year before they were shot. In the intervening time, Powertap as a company went away, bought by SRAM. They honored the warranty and offered me a Quarq, which was cool of them, and I happily took them up on it.

Long story short, buy assiomas if you *need* pedal based power, otherwise buy something spindle based like Quarq, power2max, or srm.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

I experienced something extremely profound today. As I was biking the babb out of the park, slowing down on a gradual descent out to the street, my disc brake honked a bit. A goose flying back north in the sky honked. To test, I waited a while and braked again. And the goose responded again! We had a 4-5 honk exchange.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I probably should've asked this a before I packed it up but...

I am moving next week from The Netherlands to the US and bringing a bike with me on the flight using a cardboard bike box. Does anyone who has done this before have any specific tips on avoiding damage? I've packed the bike up fairly well and it feels pretty good in the box but I'm just worried about a luggage handler piling suitcases on it or throwing it around. I guess the best thing I can do is just try to make it as clear as possible that the contents of the box are fragile via writing on the outside?

So far I've wrapped the frame in bubble wrap, arranged it like this (actually I ended up putting the rear wheel back onto the frame because it fit better), lowered it into the box and then added some bath towels for additional padding.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ethanol posted:

Ive been getting a lot more comfortable with the stumpjumper over the last week. Last time I posted I was worried the dropper was too high for me. I honestly think I had just lost the muscle memory on starting and stopping a bike properly. Since then I’ve had no problem getting off the seat and getting back on even at full dropper height. Huh. Kind of embarrassing.

Anyways I ended up needing to raise the saddle an inch or so, not lower it. And it was angled too far up, above level, so I pointed it down a bit a little and that helped immensely.

I went on my first trail ride with it and did a couple thousand feet of climbing. (More than I thought I could do) Easy flow downhill but that’s just what I need to start off with. The bike feels properly good and very fast. No complaints about suspension at all either, which is a relief since that was a big part of why I didn’t like my old cannondale.

Still have a lot of work to do on getting the bike to handle tighter turns though, which of course was always going to be a challenge being short and coming from 26/27” bikes and also having done road bikes for so long in between. It kind of feels like the front wheel has a mind of its own at the moment, ie me being surprised by it sort of jutting out too far, losing balance a little and then I am over correcting. I think I just don’t have a good feel for it yet. I don’t want to over think it but line choice seems pretty important with this bike.

I’m also thinking about throwing the extra spacer or two under the handlebars and seeing how that feels.. to take a little pressure off my hands while pedaling long distance but unsure if it’s going to make handling harder. This is one of this downhill vs level/uphill pedaling comfort trade off things isn’t it?

It feels sooooo good to be back out there in the woods.

More actual mountain bike specific questions may be better asked in the sweaty men in woods thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905&pagenumber=86&perpage=40

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Jato posted:

I am moving next week from The Netherlands to the US and bringing a bike with me on the flight using a cardboard bike box. Does anyone who has done this before have any specific tips on avoiding damage? I've packed the bike up fairly well and it feels pretty good in the box but I'm just worried about a luggage handler piling suitcases on it or throwing it around. I guess the best thing I can do is just try to make it as clear as possible that the contents of the box are fragile via writing on the outside?

So far I've wrapped the frame in bubble wrap, arranged it like this (actually I ended up putting the rear wheel back onto the frame because it fit better), lowered it into the box and then added some bath towels for additional padding.

:rip: on the move. I'm moving back to :911: from Denmark in a couple months.

Not much you can do to protect the bike outside of lots of padding, on my last flight the chainring busted through the bottom of the box before it got to me. I'd flip the front wheel around, or take off your disc to keep it from scratching the frame, a lot of people recommend taking them off to prevent bending but I haven't had a issue with that before. A dummy axles to keep the fork from getting squished together is a good idea too.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Thanks for the tips.

:rip: to your time in Denmark. I was in Copenhagen for the first time recently and it seemed like a great place to ride some bikes. It will definitely be an adjustment going back to the US after being here for a few years with bikes as the default way of transport.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Grumpwagon posted:

You won’t get more punctures because of using slightly higher pressure.

If you’re using your bike for any kind of touring/bikepacking, loaded or not, get touring tyres imo. More weight, less efficiency but they’ll last forever and puncture seldom if at all. Marathon mondial is an option, or the whole continental travel ___ range is good imo.

Tubeless could help a bit, but most touring tyres aren’t available tubeless and I’d prefer tougher tyres any day. 3 punctures in a ride is not a good sign that your tyres are suited to the conditions.

n.b. Tanwall anything is less rugged than black wall.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Thanks for all the tire and power meter tips. I'll take a pass on the powertaps, seems they're cheap for a reason.

Those Mondials look really good for what I want. Unfortunately their only 650 size is too wide for my bike (I found this tire size chart super useful for converting between French, inch and ETRTO tire specs, hope it'll help someone else too). No Conti travel line available in 650 at all either. Looks like my main choices are either the Schwalbe Marathons or WTB makes a puncture resistant version of the horizons I have. I've fixed my current flat and will probably go tubeless with one of those the next time I flat out.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ethanol posted:

You might be able to flip the stem.

Modern mountain bikes have a pretty upright seating position. Your hands will hurt less as you ride more and build more core strength. In the interim just stop every once in a while and shake your hands out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
and plank once a day, it will help with core strength

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Jato posted:

Get some foam pipe insulation from your local hardware store (US example) cut to length and wrap every tube. You can also curve a piece around the chainring and zip tie it tight. I can't tell what you've done with the rear mech but usually best to detach it, bundle it up in bubble wrap, and tape it into place inside the rear triangle so it doesn't bounce around.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

BraveUlysses posted:

and plank once a day, it will help with core strength

I think you guys suggested this over and over awhile back and it does work! Back pain has substantially improved, thank you.

Wrt tubeless tires, for an all day event do you recommend adding two similar tubes just in case so I can limp home if my tubleless set up died? I've already had to call the significant other because my tubeless set up died 30 miles away from home. I've got a minipump, Stans (yes I'll pick up the Orange seal guys once I run out) tubeless, and a dynaplug kit. Just want to make sure I'm not stuck in the desert because of newfangled tech.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Always carry tubes

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jato posted:

I probably should've asked this a before I packed it up but...

Tie literally everything together so they move as one instead of the fork, wheels, frame banging around independently of each other.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
Put something between those forks to prevent them from being pushed inward towards each other. The exposed tube ends on the handlebars, etc, I would use cardboard and shipping paper to wrap the ends very well. My experience is with cheap to high dollar electrical grid components in the US/Mexico/Canada so take this with a grain of salt. Also, bubble wrap varies drastically in quality. The good stuff is stout poo poo and the cheap stuff is kind of worthless, especially metal on metal. The airline workers probably see fragile markings on half the poo poo they move between belts, planes, and terminals.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Tie literally everything together so they move as one instead of the fork, wheels, frame banging around independently of each other.
This too

MoonCricket fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 23, 2022

Development
Jun 2, 2016

MoonCricket posted:

Put something between those forks to prevent them from being pushed inward towards each other. The exposed tube ends on the handlebars, etc, I would use cardboard and shipping paper to wrap the ends very well. My experience is with cheap to high dollar electrical grid components in the US/Mexico/Canada so take this with a grain of salt. Also, bubble wrap varies drastically in quality. The good stuff is stout poo poo and the cheap stuff is kind of worthless, especially metal on metal. The airline workers probably see fragile markings on half the poo poo they move between belts, planes, and terminals.

This too

not related, but have you ever considered changing your username? seems poor in taste and juneteenth has been on my mind

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Development posted:

not related, but have you ever considered changing your username? seems poor in taste and juneteenth has been on my mind

Never would have noticed this until you brought it up. Literally just had to google the username to see what it meant.

Not an excuse, but this is the same forum which has been notorious for user names being poor in taste. I don’t keep up on its current events at all, so maybe everything is changing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

Not an excuse, but this is the same forum which has been notorious for user names being poor in taste. I don’t keep up on its current events at all, so maybe everything is changing.
:chloe:

there's poor taste, and then there's racism

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Development posted:

motion seconded

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think that username sucks!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

motion seconded

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

there's poor taste, and then there's racism

Yeah you’re 100% right on that.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

Development posted:

I've never have and would never post racist sentiments even if I had them, which I don't. We're on a website called something awful. Look at my reg date, I'm early 30s, do the math. I think we'll be OK regarding my username.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MoonCricket posted:

I've never have and would never post racist sentiments even if I had them, which I don't. We're on a website called something awful. Look at my reg date, I'm early 30s, do the math. I think we'll be OK regarding my username.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MoonCricket posted:

The mods, the admins, and Jeffery have discussed this at length. MoonCricket has a standing offer for a free name change, but they also have every right to claim that piece of their identity and keep the name if they choose.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 23, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MoonCricket posted:

The math seems to add up to a very fuckin weird take of “I’ve had this slur as a username for so long that it’s ok”

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
Go call me out in an appropriate thread then if you care that much. If mods tell me to change it, I will. I came for the porn and da movies and stayed for the liberal gun forum. It's SA, there's been some terrible poo poo on here over the years and I don't care if a username bothers you.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

MoonCricket posted:

Go call me out in an appropriate thread then if you care that much. If mods tell me to change it, I will. I came for the porn and da movies and stayed for the liberal gun forum. It's SA, there's been some terrible poo poo on here over the years and I don't care if a username bothers you.

Since your username is included with every post you make, it can be regarded as part of your post, so any thread you post in is the appropriate thread.

Also, gently caress off.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

there it is

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
This guy sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

they always show their hand eventually