Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

slidebite posted:

If you want a chunk of a downed Su34 or Ka52 and support a righteous cause

https://www.dronesforukraine.fund/

I get a little skeeved out at "We killed somebody, here's a keychain made of their final resting place." Yes it's war, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I get a little skeeved out at "We killed somebody, here's a keychain made of their final resting place." Yes it's war, but still.

I find it really bizarre that if an airplane crashes into the sea or a tank floods its a war grave that is generally well protected by international law but if you down an aircraft or blow up a tank on land there is nowhere near as much respect.

I thought that purchasing and importing such a key chain to the US would be illegal if it was from a ship wreck but I only immediately see that protection applies to US ships anywhere in the world or foreign warships in the US waters.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

hobbesmaster posted:

I find it really bizarre that if an airplane crashes into the sea or a tank floods its a war grave that is generally well protected by international law but if you down an aircraft or blow up a tank on land there is nowhere near as much respect.

I thought that purchasing and importing such a key chain to the US would be illegal if it was from a ship wreck but I only immediately see that protection applies to US ships anywhere in the world or foreign warships in the US waters.

This'll probably sound callous, but I think it just comes down to utility. A war grave underwater hardly ever gets in anyone's way because you can just anchor or lay a cable slightly somewhere else and not disturb it. If a tank gets blown up in the middle of Berlin or a plane crashes in London, you're going to need to bulldoze a building to reroute the road.

Might also have something to do with the definite difference between "sunk" and "not sunk" and being more akin to digging up a body, whereas it was a lot more common to hose out a tank and give it to a new crew.

I'm not saying you're wrong to object, I'd just never thought about it and am thinking out loud.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
Trophies of war aren't a new thing, selling them on what amounts to a kickstarter is. Strange times indeed. Personally, I wouldn't want to buy anything with blood on it, unless I really just didn't like whoever was flying the thing at the time. Opinions will vary, of course.

edit: For context, after visiting Okinawan bunkers my friend threw salt on me before we went back to their house. I don't believe in ghosts, but I still appreciated it all the same. You don't want to take any of that home with you. I have mixed feelings about the keychains or paying for someone to write a message on a mortar or artillery shell. The internet just makes it all kind of hosed up and weird when you can make anything transactional like that. It's like there's this weird space between "I killed somebody" and "I paid 40 bucks to write a message that the person who will receive it shall never read" or "I'm buying part of someone's coffin." I don't know. It just seems kind of creepy and hosed up. There's a difference between pushing a button and pulling a trigger, and whatever this is. I don't know if it is right or wrong.

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 21, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Effective-Disorder posted:

Trophies of war aren't a new thing, selling them on what amounts to a kickstarter is.

Eh, there's been all kinds of auctions of war-related poo poo over the years, especially before the internet.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Eh, there's been all kinds of auctions of war-related poo poo over the years.

Yeah, but they usually wait a while lol. Now it's like "Fresh Airframe Pieces, Organically Grown in Ukraine".

Farm to table means something different over there now.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

hobbesmaster posted:

I imagine it's about being able to recover the bodies and giving them a proper burial vs needing to leave them where they were because it's difficult to recover bodies from a shipwreck.

See also: the ships that were refloated after Pearl Harbor were not considered untouchable war graves because the bodies were removed and given proper burials as part of the salvage operation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I do understand that underwater wrecks are graves because they’re the final resting place of people and that you can recover bodies, repatriate them or give a proper burial or cremation so the vehicle isn’t their coffin but it still feels wrong to be selling mementos to people across the world.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 21, 2022

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
I should point out that the whole war/invasion/crime thing there is already a 10/10 "weird and hosed up" situation, it's just the idea that people wholly separated by time and space are now sold mementos of that is just a bit jarring aside from how jarring the entire travesty is. But if that's what they can do to fund their defense, well, poo poo, that's something anyhow. For me it's more that the idea of crowdfunded war is both somehow inevitable and a huge can of worms for us to pick over in the aftermath. I pass no judgement on the people doing these things, because I doubt I'd understand from where I sit. I just wonder if it's a bad thing that we have to crowdfund pretty much everything from medical care to warfare now, and what the hell that means going forward. I strongly suspect it's not so much just bad but entirely awful.

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 21, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I get some heebie-jeebies on war graves, but pretty sure both those had the crew eject.

But I'm phone posting and going completely by memory.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqEFjbLbW-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3OOgqxmbc

:v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wait, the Blackstar or whatever was just one of the Blues CGI’d over? That’s pretty fun

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Effective-Disorder posted:

For me it's more that the idea of crowdfunded war is both somehow inevitable and a huge can of worms for us to pick over in the aftermath. I pass no judgement on the people doing these things, because I doubt I'd understand from where I sit. I just wonder if it's a bad thing that we have to crowdfund pretty much everything from medical care to warfare now, and what the hell that means going forward. I strongly suspect it's not so much just bad but entirely awful.

Couldn't war bonds be considered crowd funding? This has happened since the beginning of time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mustard_tiger posted:

Couldn't war bonds be considered crowd funding? This has happened since the beginning of time.

But then wouldn’t taxes also be crowd funding?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mustard_tiger posted:

If you buy in at the 100 million dollar tier, you get to drone strike a wedding of your choice.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Made my first complaint to Transport Canada today.

[quote=]

I’m emailing with regard to aircraft C-GXDQ. This aircraft is registered to Twin Aviation Inc. I am requesting that TC investigate the below matter to ensure that this pilot does not continue to endanger the safety of those in the region.

I reside in Esquimalt BC. I was up early on Friday morning (June 17) to catch the 7am ferry. I was grabbing my morning coffee when I heard a plane nearby. It sounded like a really low pass.

We live on the flight path for Harbour Air so I thought it might be one of their twin otters. A few minutes later I heard the plane again. At this point I looked out my window – it sounded really close, much closer and louder than the twin otters we so regularly hear.

Looking at the plane, I could see that it wasn’t a Harbour Air plane.

So I pulled up flight aware to see who would be flying at such an early hour: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGXDQ

Flight aware showed that there was only one plane in the region at that hour: C-GXDQ. As I was going about my morning, I heard this plane do at least 4 passes over my house. All at extremely low elevation.

This was confirmed when I looked at the flight log on flight aware. The track from Friday morning shows that they did multiple passes over Victoria/Esquimalt during their flight. At times they were as low as 61 meters.

The flight data available on flightaware shows the aircraft at 61m of elevation at 48°27’00.0”N 123°25’12.0”W at 5:31 am.

This is four blocks from our house.

I also understand that this is not the first instance where this has occurred for this plane: in 2010 they were found to have engaged in similar behavior in Vancouver. Low passes over a residential area early in the morning.

I can see no basis for which this pilot needed to engage in such dangerous behavior with clear disregard for the folks living in the area.

I am requesting that TC investigate this matter directly to confirm the above and take steps to ensure that this pilot does not continue with this behavior. Please confirm receipt of this email and I would appreciate being kept appraised of what corrective measures are taken against this pilot.

[/quote]

To be clear, I have zero issues with living on the flight path for Harbour Air.

But 61m. 😮‍💨😮‍💨

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Warbird posted:

Wait, the Blackstar or whatever was just one of the Blues CGI’d over? That’s pretty fun

What! No! Tom Cruise told me it was all real! No CG used!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mexecan posted:

But 61m. 😮‍💨😮‍💨
Yeah, that's just assholish behavior. Basically the air equivalent of loud pipes save lives idiots roaring up and down the street in the early AM.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Warbird posted:

Given that the real Darkstar looked like this, I'd say a lot of GG got used for its scenes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Of course it was CG you goobers, I mean I didn’t realize the source plane would have been one of the Blues. Heck, if you told me the dust effects were CG I would have believed you.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A former Blues pilot, Commander Frank Weisser, did a lot of the stunt flying for the movie, also (at least?) one of the Super Hornet airframes used for the film is now a blue jet. Kind of neat.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

slidebite posted:

Yeah, that's just assholish behavior. Basically the air equivalent of loud pipes save lives idiots roaring up and down the street in the early AM.

I would suspect that TC also has a version of this:

FAA posted:

Over congested areas – Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open-air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

mexecan posted:

But 61m. 😮‍💨😮‍💨

Looking at that FlightAware track, it looks like he was making multiple low passes over RCN facilities. Military facilities tend not to like low flights like that.

Also, it appears to be a crop dusting plane, but looking at the track and where it was doing low passes, I can't see any reason they'd be doing any crop dusting there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Looking at that FlightAware track, it looks like he was making multiple low passes over RCN facilities. Military facilities tend not to like low flights like that.

Also, it appears to be a crop dusting plane, but looking at the track and where it was doing low passes, I can't see any reason they'd be doing any crop dusting there.

North by Northwest remake lookin good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Aztec duster?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes spies gotta get a little dirty with their spying, and what's dirtier than farming?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mexecan posted:

But 61m. 😮‍💨😮‍💨

That's a really weird flight. From Delta to zoom around at low level at Victoria Harbour and then to Chilliwack?
It's before CYYJ opens (if it was before 7am) and he stayed below 2500' enroute and didn't have to talk to Vancouver, since leaving the YVR control zone at Delta.
It's a twin engine GA plane, not a crop duster.
Looks mostly like he was doing practice approaches?

However, be aware that adsb reports pressure altitude and not AGL and as such cannot used to judge anything other than change in altitude.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I want to confront a midlife crisis before it happens. Suppose you're in your mid thirties. You finally have the money to go flying airplanes which you wanted to do since you were a kid. It turns out you're really good at it. If you had a but if money for training, are there any viable options for work or should you best leave it a hobby?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

So I want to confront a midlife crisis before it happens. Suppose you're in your mid thirties. You finally have the money to go flying airplanes which you wanted to do since you were a kid. It turns out you're really good at it. If you had a but if money for training, are there any viable options for work or should you best leave it a hobby?

You just started lessons a month ago, right? You aren't as good as you think you are.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
three injured

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aLmUNQtXoU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Stranger Things season 4 features an AN-2 and now I kind of want one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lord Stimperor posted:

I started flying in 2012 at 27 and now do it for a living, it’s never too late, especially how places are hiring at the moment.

Midjack posted:

You just started lessons a month ago, right? You aren't as good as you think you are.

But mostly this.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The easy past of flying is the actual mechanical skill. The soft skills (leadership, management, time critical decision making, etc) are the hard parts. That being said anybody with a pulse can get can get a job these days due to the upwards hiring pull generated by the airlines.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Waiting for the inevitable cabin video with people grabbing all their carry-on bags before evacuating.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

slidebite posted:

Waiting for the inevitable cabin video with people grabbing all their carry-on bags before evacuating.

How about one of a guy filming his egress with this phone while dragging his rollaboard and a half-empty water bottle? https://twitter.com/JanineStanwood/status/1539419268902789121

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

To be slightly fair it is an international flight so your reward for following the rules is immigration detention until you can prove who you are.

Unfortunately game theory really hurts the evacuation rules.

vvv I do the same. Personally I’d be more concerned about medicine and I’d probably grab my laptop bag automatically

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 22, 2022

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
This is why I usually carry my passport in my pocket for international flights, and I have a picture of it on my phone which is always in my pocket as well. Super low chance of anything occurring, sure, but it's the same rationale that drives me to keep my shoes on for longer flights until we're above 10,000ft.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

mexecan posted:

But 61m. 😮‍💨😮‍💨

I bet they are spraying for Lymantria Moths? There was a spray over View Royal on June 17

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/forestry/managing-our-forest-resources/forest-health/invasive-forest-pests/lymantria/news

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33932332@N07/33930856203/in/photostream/
This photo shows that plane having some spray looking things mounted on the wings.

In the spray website, it says it will start at 530am and go as late as 830 am.

So thats exactly what you saw.

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 22, 2022

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Beef Of Ages posted:

This is why I usually carry my passport in my pocket for international flights, and I have a picture of it on my phone which is always in my pocket as well. Super low chance of anything occurring, sure, but it's the same rationale that drives me to keep my shoes on for longer flights until we're above 10,000ft.

It's nice to hear other people also keep their shoes on for this reason. And it's not just for a botched takeoff. I have a weird fear of falling to death from a disintegrating plane without shoes on. Don't want my toes getting cold on the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, I keep my most important poo poo like passports either on my person at all times or in my laptop bag that I put under the seat in front of me when I'm traveling.