Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think they should just make filters illegal. The paper and the tobacco are biodegradable, it's the filters that are a problem, from a pollution standpoint. Have whatever flavored cigarettes you want just make filters illegal.

*I am a smoker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

smug jeebus posted:

Say what you will about Covid, it doesn't make your house, car and clothes smell like poo poo
no it does but it also obliterates your sense of smell

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

smug jeebus posted:

Say what you will about Covid, it doesn't make your house, car and clothes smell like poo poo

Yeah it does.

It’s called “parosmia”.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

El Mero Mero posted:

Conversely, vaping allows everyone to enjoy their treats while addressing 95% of the loving problem and for the life of me I can not understand why we are not having a god-damned ticker-tape parades over this and pushing people as hard as gently caress to just smoke a battery.
Because experience tells us that the profit motive means it's as likely as not that the vape companies have just found a formula that's not recognized as super harmful yet, but will turn out to be just as bad but in different ways as traditional cigarettes? Which combined with vapers possibly thinking they can just vape anywhere because (they believe) their poo poo doesn't stink, could just mean a comeback of second-hand smoking in a big way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think they should just make filters illegal. The paper and the tobacco are biodegradable, it's the filters that are a problem, from a pollution standpoint. Have whatever flavored cigarettes you want just make filters illegal.

*I am a smoker
The WHO agrees.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

no it does but it also obliterates your sense of smell

Platystemon posted:

Yeah it does.

It’s called “parosmia”.

I beat both you motherfuckers :mad:

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

olives black posted:

They saw, but COVID causes memory loss

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

c-spam bureaucrats expropriating good posts and reassigning them to poo poo posters like me as usual

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

look I like owning the libs as much as anybody but don't give yourself lung cancer to own the libs

otoh nicotine seems to have antidepressant and anti-anxiety properties so you're probably self-medocating but that's also really funny when you consider how common smoking was in previous generations vis a vis the panic about overuse of psychiatric medication

https://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Abstract/2002/07020/Effect_of_nicotine_and_nicotinic_receptors_on.6.aspx

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Stereotype posted:

smoking a half a pack a day for 20 years is apparently not as bad for you as catching covid one time

Im going into places now and start coughing ovet people's second hand covid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

olives black posted:

“Takes the smell out of other things” describes anosmia. No smell.

Parosmia can make good things smell like awful things. Imagine almost any food smelling like rotten meat. Good luck.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ikanreed posted:

If this mass murder by public health spins into you people becoming republicans in order to make every public space a miserable smelling hell hole again, I will absolutely 100% no fooling, become a terrorist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

None of the “Top 5” have been accomplished LOL.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

What is with those bars?? Like, if I was trying to convince people he was doing something, I'd at least make the In The Works bar actually go nearly halfway up. Maybe add it on top of the promises kept in a different color/green hatch, to really sell the idea that they will be accomplished. I can only conclude that the PolitiFact graphics department hates Biden.

Anyway, if he had been smart he'd have made 1000 promises, and made 900 of them really easy to accomplish, so he'd be at 92% promises kept.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

*I am a smoker

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Stalled and in the works doing a lot of heavy lifting there

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
my new year's resolution to have sex with one woman from every country on earth, in her own bed, is currently stalled, but if we can just get everyone to turn up in November,

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

chewing tobacco and dying of mouth cancer to own the libs

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What is with those bars?? Like, if I was trying to convince people he was doing something, I'd at least make the In The Works bar actually go nearly halfway up. Maybe add it on top of the promises kept in a different color/green hatch, to really sell the idea that they will be accomplished. I can only conclude that the PolitiFact graphics department hates Biden.

Anyway, if he had been smart he'd have made 1000 promises, and made 900 of them really easy to accomplish, so he'd be at 92% promises kept.

The site, or its forerunner I guess, was made to Hold Trump Accountable so it's intentionally set up that way lol

double lol for "getting COVID under control" rated as anything other than a broken promise and miserable failure. That horse is out of the barn.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

The site, or its forerunner I guess, was made to Hold Trump Accountable so it's intentionally set up that way lol

double lol for "getting COVID under control" rated as anything other than a broken promise and miserable failure. That horse is out of the barn.

It's under control in exactly the same way that an untrained dog whose owner is pretending to shout commands to "run wild, yeah, that's right, tear up that toilet paper roll, good boy, now bark for fifty hours straight" is under control.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s under control in that the Overton window is like one of those real skinny ones that prisons sometimes have, and the bounds of the window are “COVID is over” and “COVID is fake”.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Stereotype posted:

I mean smoking is legit bad for you, but the hysteria about it has always been overblown because it is a winning political strategy.

you can see the very obvious correlation, it's definitely bad for you 20 years later. but at it's peak in the 60s cigarettes consumption was four thousand per person per year. if you smoke 20 a day, a pack, that's only 7300, which means on average every single adult in the united states smoked a half a pack of cigarettes' a day, which is honestly crazy to me. in exchange for that, 20 years later, 80 people out of 100,000 die of lung cancer. 0.08% risk of dying 20 years later when you are in your sixties if you smoke a half a pack a day.

covid really hammered home how artificial the outrage about those deaths was, considering it is ten times more deadly and kills you immediately.

Lung cancer isn't the only consequence, everyone in my family who smoked spent their final decade constantly gasping for breath.

Of course, similar is true of COVID.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I was dumb as gently caress (lol “was”) as a 19 year old but was smart enough to get hooked on drinking and smoking cigs while in Japan, so now that I’m in east coast US I can’t (easily) get my brands and have “quit.”

Boy do I miss it some days. Smoking is cool AF. Wish weed was legal and in a similar cigarette form factor.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

So they made a website for telling people Trump sucks rear end, with the dishonest graphical tricks to convince people of that, and then didn't update it when Biden came in?

Must be some real extremists if they don't like either president.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I have a lot of criticism of the Biden administration but they absolutely got the covid situation in control. Although the credit really belongs to the makers of the vaccines.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Noob Saibot posted:

I have a lot of criticism of the Biden administration but they absolutely got the covid situation in control. Although the credit really belongs to the makers of the vaccines.

:smugdon:

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Noob Saibot posted:

syq

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Noob Saibot posted:

Although the credit really belongs to the makers of the vaccines.

Thank you 🙏 President Trump!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Stereotype posted:

I mean smoking is legit bad for you, but the hysteria about it has always been overblown because it is a winning political strategy.

you can see the very obvious correlation, it's definitely bad for you 20 years later. but at it's peak in the 60s cigarettes consumption was four thousand per person per year. if you smoke 20 a day, a pack, that's only 7300, which means on average every single adult in the united states smoked a half a pack of cigarettes' a day, which is honestly crazy to me. in exchange for that, 20 years later, 80 people out of 100,000 die of lung cancer. 0.08% risk of dying 20 years later when you are in your sixties if you smoke a half a pack a day.

covid really hammered home how artificial the outrage about those deaths was, considering it is ten times more deadly and kills you immediately.

I assume others will mention this, but cmon, you know this is a bad faith argument, it's not like they're perfectly healthy and then whoops instantaneous death

Significant loss of quality-life years, unnecessary burden to the health care system, and tons of people that suffer from pain and disease but don't die in a way attributable to smoking and so they aren't in that chart.

Biden's proposal is asinine for many many valid reasons, so slam it based on those instead of downplaying the harm from smoking.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stereotype posted:

they might have been but they aren't really anymore. tobacco is politically toxic, especially for democrats and liberals. they still give plently of money to republicans because why not, maybe they can do some extra labor violations and use some corporate tax loopholes. but for democrats smoking bans and taxes are still just a horse to beat against a group that they would look bad taking money from anyway.

the tobacco industry is a major lobbying force in keeping weed illegal, and the precedent that they were allowed to settle with the government about how they make the fact that they covered up that smoking was bad for you with paying small fines while still carrying on with business as usual in perpetuity is obviously informing how the government is handling pharmaceutical companies that pushed opioids as well as oil companies that lied about global warming

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
https://twitter.com/ianimal69/status/1539664034370568193

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

not true, it was around for obama: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

imho antitobacco sentiment was primarily driven by nonsmokers not wanting to smell or breathe in cigarette smoke in public places, so if smoking bans start getting lifted, it'll become a politically winning issue again. otherwise nobody cares

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

why would smoking bans get lifted thats never going to happen

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

THS2 posted:

why would smoking bans get lifted thats never going to happen

getting five smokers on the scotus would probably be the quickest way to get there

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i quit in 2013 and i Loved smoking and will miss it always. but my life is definitely better without it lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dustcat posted:

getting five smokers on the scotus would probably be the quickest way to get there

Getting supreme court justices hooked on smokes is praxis

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the only way smoking would be good is if it were free. it is not, so it isn't

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I'm going to get Thomas and Kavenaugh really into base jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmao the FDA is gonna ban Juuls