Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think after finding out the current going rate for sealed alpha products, and if they got a bunch of stuff graded, it all graded highly, and sold for the higher end for said graded products, a quarter mil would not be unattainable for all of that.

the last time I saw an alpha starter deck sell was for like 70k, and apparently one sold for nearly 110k in the last couple years, so poo poo's gone even more buck wild than I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

My down payment was like $10K two years ago. Now I probably wouldn’t be able to buy.

Which is why all my money is going toward that cool new City of Brass.

The borderless art in this set is, by-and-large, amazing.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Are there different foil styles for the commander legends cards? In particular, on some of the showcase foils, only to colorful background is foiled. I ordered a couple of foil fireballs, but those are foiled on the whole card. Is this a difference in printer?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Basically three types of foils;

Regular foils- any card
Etched foils- any legend or background kind of gritty/dirty look
Retro Style foil- rulebook art style cards, background only foil.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MasterBuilder posted:

Uh so, flicker wisps are a bit bigger than I thought.

That's a flickerwisp attacking a Segovian.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so whoever black balloon talked to leaked it to their friends..

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/vicp5r/incredibly_rare_basement_find/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it was posted in this thread instead of the one in the private forum, anyone (even someone without an account) could have seen it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Really like this new art

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

flatluigi posted:

it was posted in this thread instead of the one in the private forum, anyone (even someone without an account) could have seen it

yeah.. black balloon already said he was talking to other appraisers/dealers. i seriously doubt they found it on this forum.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Literally in the post

quote:

Incredible find. I love when bits of Magic history like this turn up. I got their permission to share this story, thought you folks might like it. Not yet up for sale, if that changes in the near future, I'll put the details in a comment.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I mean that just sounds like he got permission from his collector friend but not black balloon. but yeah anyways..

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1539669504375943170

Summer Bloom unban confirmed.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Thats some dope RKF arts on grim flayer and elenda.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I hope my wallet will forgive me.

There are so many cards in this set that have been on my "eh I'll buy it when it gets a reprint" list and they're all coming at once.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Framboise posted:

I hope my wallet will forgive me.

There are so many cards in this set that have been on my "eh I'll buy it when it gets a reprint" list and they're all coming at once.

Only two I'm looking at are Cavern of Souls and W6... :shepicide:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah now that it seems certain that we’ll also get Smothering Tithe, plus all the good stuff we’ve already seen…I’ll have to buy into this set.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Only two I'm looking at are Cavern of Souls and W6... :shepicide:

I envy you.

Where I'm at right now:

Stuff I already have but want more copies of/fancy art of:
Dockside Extortionist
Mana Drain
Chaos Warp
Sensei's Divining Top
Weathered Wayfarer
Cavern of Souls
Mana Vault
Conqueror's Flail

Stuff I've been waiting on price drops or reprints of:
Bitterblossom
Food Chain
Imperial Seal
Concordant Crossroads
Consecrated Sphinx
Allosaurus Shepherd
Aurelia, the Warleader
Dragonlord Dromoka
GAAIV
Crucible of Worlds
Phyrexian Altar
Force of Negation
Oracle of Mul Daya

It's gonna be A Thing for me.

And at this point I'm unsure I'd buy a box even if I could. This set's bulk rare game looks very, very strong with all the very low value precon reprints and The Entire loving Liege Cycle, for some reason.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
You all like double sided cards right? Well good news, WotC has gone mad with power and made a 6 sided card for alchemy: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-announcements-june-22-2022
But does each side have way too much text? You might wonder? Far more than a reasonable person could keep in mind? Of course.

neaden fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 22, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

neaden posted:

You all like double sided cards right? Well good news, WotC has gone mad with power and made a 6 sided card for alchemy: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-announcements-june-22-2022
But does each side have way too much text? You might wonder? Far more than a reasonable person could keep in mind? Of course.

A card to defeat Yugioh.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

neaden posted:

You all like double sided cards right? Well good news, WotC has gone mad with power and made a 5 sided card for alchemy: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-announcements-june-22-2022

6 sided. The first side and the 5 evolutions. Err... specializations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

neaden posted:

WotC heard people liked Cube Draft and misunderstood what they meant

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

neaden posted:

I will never complain about planeswalkers being too wordy again.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Boons are just delayed triggers with a name...really utilizing that digital space there

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

neaden posted:

It's MtG's take on Eevee, just way lazier!

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Strong Sauce posted:

I mean that just sounds like he got permission from his collector friend but not black balloon. but yeah anyways..

I gave the person I was talking to permission to share the pictures with someone else, and apparently it spread from there. But in any case, it was done with my consent. Obviously there's not really a way to curtail propagation once the news breaks, and I let that happen.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

neaden posted:

Yeah but it's alchemy so nobody cares

Does anyone actually play alchemy, or is the repeated support just wotc trying to make fetch happen?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Black Balloon posted:

I gave the person I was talking to permission to share the pictures with someone else, and apparently it spread from there. But in any case, it was done with my consent. Obviously there's not really a way to curtail propagation once the news breaks, and I let that happen.

cool. long as you were okay w/ it, keep us updated!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Black Balloon posted:

if you find a particularly cheap card in the bunch that isn't worth getting graded and it would be possible to get for less than a hundred bucks, I might be interested in one. I've never owned an alpha card, not even a common, even back when I was a kid and playing on the playground during Revised. oldest I've ever owned is an unlimited card I found in a box of cards I bought at a yard sale, a shivan dragon. I just think it'd be neat to own even one alpha card, as a novelty, but I don't think I'd spend hundreds of dollars on a novelty. I save my stupid purchases for favorite cards like this:

Captain Invictus posted:

I've always wanted to have a physical copy of one of my favorite terrible magic cards, Wood Elemental

even a near mint one like this is very cheap, which is nice, made picking it up as a gag purchase more manageable :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 23, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Yeah but it's alchemy so nobody cares

Does anyone actually play alchemy, or is the repeated support just wotc trying to make fetch happen?

The numbers from the only data we have (untapped.gg) are veeeeeeeerry unpromising

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Captain Invictus posted:

if you find a particularly cheap card in the bunch that isn't worth getting graded and it would be possible to get for less than a hundred bucks, I might be interested in one. I've never owned an alpha card, not even a common, even back when I was a kid and playing on the playground during Revised. oldest I've ever owned is an unlimited card I found in a box of cards I bought at a yard sale, a shivan dragon. I just think it'd be neat to own even one alpha card, as a novelty, but I don't think I'd spend hundreds of dollars on a novelty.

A bunch of stuff like the lands or common creatures are probably gonna be in that range, so if we end up selling the binder cards piecemeal then I'll hit you up about it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The cheapest card (with a concrete price that I can find anyway) is Crystal Rod at like $28.

There's a few interesting ones in the $50 range, like frank discussion of tree sex or the words of Gnerdel or flavor text from the real world.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

they actually used to use real-world quotations for flavor text on a few cards in core sets up until the mid 2010's, not really sure why they stopped

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wow, jesus, what is WOTC doing with this quad masters poo poo. this is Rudy's update on Double Masters 2, it's essentially printing money and yet they have understocked it worse than any set in the game's history compared to demand.

quote:

Alright so this is the reality of the situation.

The supply of Double Masters 2 is so bad it is a disaster.

It is a LOWER supply than the original Double Masters in 2020.

I have no idea why...its completly stupid...this is a premium product and everyone wants to hand wizards money, and they underprint the entire thing.

I dont understand wizards, many times the choices they make are so bad, it is mind boggling.

In addition, some of the Draft + collectors is going to be 1-2 weeks late and past release date.

TCGPLAYER IS ALMOST COMPLETLY WIPED OUT

11 PAGES OF SOLD LISTINGS IN 1 DAY.

THE HIGHEST I HAVE EVER TRACKED.
I would recommend you buy on Amazon when they have the Collector box at $225-$250 + tax. Same thing with draft boxes....if you can.
I cannot and will not attempt to compete with amazon, if you have a local store or anyone willing to sell you these boxes cheap, buy them.

Everytime amazon places more boxes online, they sell out within minutes and disappear.

I pulled in tons of commander legends items....and now we get to Double masters and i estimate im getting 1,000 draft boxes TOTAL from everywhere.

The lowest i have ever received on any product line in years. And apparently...most stores are getting 12-24 boxes...thats it..............so "1,000 boxes" is considered massive.

Draft boxes will be limit 2 boxes per patron.

In addition, i am going to offer terrible pricing to prevent a blowout.

Whatever Tcgplayer is for 2 boxes shipped

im going to take $30 off the price and thats it.

and of course....no additoinal shipping and taxes.

As for collector boxes, i have a little more at approx 2,500 boxes.

Patrons will have the choice of either 2 or 4 boxes of this item.

Same thing, very little discount.

My goal is to NOT over sell, and to make sure i can actually fill the orders.

I EXPECT MASSIVE PREORDER CANCELLATIONS FROM STORES ALL OVER THE COUNTRY WITH THE PRICE SPIKE AND THE LACK OF SUPPLY.

In the last 10 years, i have NEVER recieved a restock of a master set.

We need a miracle and a 2nd print run on this item.

if even rudy can't get more than 1000 draft boxes, that poo poo is going to be as good as gold within a month. I wasn't going to pick up any, but I guess I should if it's going to get this bad and I'll never get another chance like with time spiral remastered. and I think he's right, there'll probably be similar blowouts as the VIP poo poo a couple years ago that resulted in multiple stores self-destructing during preorders.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The cheapest card (with a concrete price that I can find anyway) is Crystal Rod at like $28.

There's a few interesting ones in the $50 range, like frank discussion of tree sex or the words of Gnerdel or flavor text from the real world.
I'd go for the Gray Ogre if nothing else I think

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i feel like complaining that nobody is going to be able to buy the set while simultaneously talking about buying out three and a half thousand boxes total to resell are two dots that are fairly easy to connect, but i'm not really fond of reselling and scalping to begin with

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

rudy gets boxes from distributors. he buys a lot so he gets bigger allocations.. not sure what you mean by reselling or scalping...

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Finally a set with good reprints people want after enduring set after set of trash and they print none of it. Cool cool cool

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's at the point where I will probably just buy singles. SOME whale is gonna pay anything to crack all of those packs and eat those bulk rares for the rest of us, I'm sure.

I just don't get it. MH2 was a massive hit. I bought 2 boxes of it! It had to have sold well for them. Now this, a year later?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Strong Sauce posted:

rudy gets boxes from distributors. he buys a lot so he gets bigger allocations.. not sure what you mean by reselling or scalping...

vOv

like i've said a few times all the mtgfinance stuff washes over me because paying $100 is a big purchase for me let alone hundreds of thousands of dollars, so i'm not extremely familiar with rudy and kind of assumed that someone buying thousands of boxes was to resell and doing so not to personally open them

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

flatluigi posted:

like i've said a few times all the mtgfinance stuff washes over me because paying $100 is a big purchase for me let alone hundreds of thousands of dollars, so i'm not extremely familiar with rudy and kind of assumed that someone buying thousands of boxes was to resell and doing so not to personally open them
he's a pretty big distributor himself, the last few sets he's allowed people to buy 96 sealed boxes at a time at release, and stuff like kamigawa he let people buy 24 collector boxes at once(which he quickly realized his error when his entire significant stock sold out within 2 minutes).

this, meanwhile, is one of the best sets in ages and wotc is severely undersupplying it. it makes zero sense. it would sell like hotcakes no matter what the production numbers, they're just throwing money in the bin on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think making a smaller print run during a down market isn’t an insane move.