Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

The Handheld cinematography was so bad

The shakeycam in this made me thing the whole thing was shot by amateur youtubers who can't afford a fuckin tripod.

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think someone basically said this upthread, but it sounds like taika at least understands how deeply embarrassing it is to be telling stories about how princess leia got her famous holster. That's really only the first step on the journey to making something that isn't god awful, but it a first step

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Can someone tell me why Mandolorian looks so good (generally speaking) but this show looks like dogshit the whole way through.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can someone tell me why Mandolorian looks so good (generally speaking) but this show looks like dogshit the whole way through.

I'll guess it's because it was the Disney+ flagship show when the service launched so they threw everything at it to get people to bite. Now they have millions of subscribers and umpteen different shows they don't have to try as hard.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Just Chamber posted:

"Also it's a Star Destroyer, they have like 100 tie fighters that could just chase us if they go for you"

"Ah..."

The writers after:

"Well you see Darth Vader forgot he had tie fighters"

I was wondering this, too. Like, even when Vader insisted they follow Obi-Wan, I kept waiting for the Inquisitor to say, "Can we at least send our poo poo ton of TIEs after the transport ship? No? Okay."

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Extreme risk of instant death is the perfect setting for a slow, drawn-out character scene :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

Unironically I would rather watch this. Something that explores "counterfactuals" rather than just coloring in the lines, hamstrung by what "has" to happen. Reva kills Luke. Leia trains with Ben in secret. Season 2 is A Different Hope. gently caress it we're gonna watch anyway, at least spice up our content slop.

Must be frustrating to be an alert combat aircrew on a Star Destroyer w/ a Sith Lord.

It's a coin flip whether they remember you exist in situations where you'd be tactically useful.

I guess it's nice if you don't want a klaxon and launch alert to break up the sabaac game.

The whole "secret of Anakin having kids" was basically all but exposed in this show anyway, so if they'd just gone full AU they could've had it actually be exposed and Luke gets killed so Obi-Wan has to take and train Leia himself. Then at least it would be fan fiction that had any kind of point by making a new story to tell.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The transport chase was a bit silly, but I figured Vader was intentionally slowly putting pressure on it because he doesn’t want to kill Obi-Wan by blowing up some stupid unarmed transport. He wants to kill him in personal combat. So he just slowly turns the screws on Obi-Wan to get him to do something heroic and self sacrificial.

Not sending fighters or whatever to keep chasing the transport is stupid but are you gonna talk back to an extremely tunnel visioned Sith Lord?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I feel like this entire show got made because someone got really angry at RJ making jokes in his script about the Force being about lifting rocks and needed to show that he was wrong.

thrawn527 posted:

Do we know why Reva wanted to kill Luke? Like, I know she hears the transmission from Bail about a boy on Tatooine, but she doesn't know who the boy is. She says she wants revenge, but she doesn't know the boy is connected to Vader, so is it revenge against Kenobi?

It's dumb the show didn't bother spending any time to outline this because it's the high water mark of her character arc, but I made the assumption that she knows the boy is important, she knows Owen is in charge of the boy and that there is only one Owen on the entire planet, then when she finds out the mysterious boy who needs to be protected is in the care of Owen Skywalker then she draws the obvious conclusion.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 22, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Can't wait for season 17 where obi wan and vader have their 1000th inconsequential duel

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Despera posted:

Can't wait for season 17 where obi wan and vader have their 1000th inconsequential duel

Every time Vader thinks he's finally, truly, mastered the high ground, and Obi-Wan keeps finding new ways to defeat him using said high ground

I think it peaked in season 13 when they dueled in nine-inch heels on Space Broadway, and season 15 was a wash (although Jar Jar's heroic sacrifice during the pod-race was the standout)

Hondo showing up in season 9 was a delight though

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm, honestly surprised the creators of the show restrained themselves from having Vader say "Now I have the high ground" when he trapped Obi in that pit.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Alchenar posted:

then when she finds out the mysterious boy who needs to be protected is in the care of Owen Skywalker then she draws the obvious conclusion.

Well, she’d probably need to also look at some marriage records, since Owen is Owen Lars. Shmi was his stepmother.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alchenar posted:

I feel like this entire show got made because someone got really angry at RJ making jokes in his script about the Force being about lifting rocks and needed to show that he was wrong.

What's funny is that Rey is the one who says the force gives you the power to make things float because she doesn't know poo poo, and Luke appropriately explains the force isn't just about lifting rocks. So anyone getting mad at that bit is pretty lol.

Davros1 posted:

I'm, honestly surprised the creators of the show restrained themselves from having Vader say "Now I have the high ground" when he trapped Obi in that pit.

They lifted a handful of lines of dialogue already, that one would have been too much. No it wouldn't, they should have him say the thing for more nostalgia wank.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Mandalorian has individual episode directors, who can dedicate all of their time on the show to a specific 40 minutes of story - Deborah Chow directed every episode of Obi-Wan, so while she's filming episode 3, she's also dealing with post production on episode 2 and pre-production on episode 4, which means a lot of stuff is going to get delegated and there might not be time to triple check everything. It also doesn't help that the showrunner, Joby Harold, is mostly a writer and might not really have the skills to pull together a cohesive visual look the way someone like Jon Favreau would.

The series cinematographer Chung Chung-hoon is also new to the franchise, so might have had some growing pains working with the Volume (though the sets and location shoots also didn't really look great). He's done some good work in the past, but he seems to be the kind of guy whose work is dependent on the Director, rather than someone who could potentially save a project that might have a director who's not that strong visually (or is just really busy).

The handheld stuff is also something that I think harmed the series. Usually the thought behind it is to make things feel more immediate or "real" by drawing attention to the physical camera that's filming the imaginary world, or to add energy to an otherwise static shot by keeping things in motion in the frame, but it doesn't really work here. Handheld shots are also a lot quicker to set up than something on a tripod or dolly, so if they were rushed during filming and had to just pump shots out without proper setup, that might also be adding to the subconscious fanfilm vibes the series has.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
"You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker...I DID. was cold as gently caress. Great line delivery.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jose Oquendo posted:

Because favaru and felloni understand that Star Wars has a very old school look and kept that feel through out.

Hand held in Star Wars isn’t a bad thing, but it didn’t work here at all, especially with the volume

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I can't get over how dumb the space chase is, I just can't. Three times previously they just watched a ship fly off without pursuit, and it's four if you count Obi Wan getting off planet past the missing Star Destroyer. So we have this one chase, and it's dumb because the only reason it's even happening is that the transport can't engage its hyperdrive because... uh, gently caress knows it's just broken.

In ESB the same thing happens, and it's pre-established that the Falcon's hyperdrive was being fixed earlier. The frantic TIE pursuit is because the ISD can't tractor beam the Falcon as it's too agile, but the TIEs are wearing it down. When the hyperdrive looks unfixable in time, taking cover in an asteroid field is chosen. There's a constant sense of urgency for both parties which is why it works as a sequence.

If the transport can go into hyperspace, you gotta destroy/disable it before it does so. That's a small window. Launch fighters, holy gently caress launch fighters, once it warps off you've lost it forever unless a tracker is on board. The TLJ slow space chase was dumb as gently caress too, but at least they had the excuse that they could be tracked as the reason they couldn't just peel rubber. And this chase takes hours, based upon the passage of time on the Tatooine stuff. Owen has time to travel all the way back from town while the transport is chugging along shrugging off the fire of a capital ship. And we know it's flimsy as Vader ripped one to pieces with his mind in the last episode. Meanwhile Obi Wan explains his plan to a crowd of randoms, to Leia, then the gently caress up fake Jedi, then Leia again, then random rebel captain dude. I mean, if you're gonna go, just go, so many goodbyes which further add to the sense that they have all the time in the world and those ISD gunners must be poo poo to be missing that many shots for that long.

Contrast that with Rogue One where Vader's ship arriving and instantly cutting off the escape of several rebel ships and immobilizing the rebel cap ship shows them as scarily efficient enemies. I miss competent antagonists in Star Wars.

I did kind of like a lot of the glowstick fight, just wish it had less shaky cam, and none of those aerial shots which were constantly distracting. It was at least the level of fan service rematch that is just dumb enough to enjoy for its own sake.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dave Syndrome posted:

Don't you start now.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you fixed it. Good on ya.

Lol no

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm just glad we finally learned how Luke got the model airplane he's seen briefly dicking around with in A New Hope. That question has nagged at me since I first saw it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think someone basically said this upthread, but it sounds like taika at least understands how deeply embarrassing it is to be telling stories about how princess leia got her famous holster. That's really only the first step on the journey to making something that isn't god awful, but it a first step

Would you say, this will begin to make things right?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

"You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker...I DID. was cold as gently caress. Great line delivery.

and that smirk

yeah, it was always weird that Obi-Wan tried harder to redeem Reva than Anakin, but it was a perfect duel

the other parts of the episode featured the origin story of Obi-Wan: Action Figure, as evidenced by the overuse of the "Hello there" catch phrase (it wasn't that bad, I'm just taking an easy potshot)

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 22, 2022

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm just glad we finally learned how Luke got the model airplane he's seen briefly dicking around with in A New Hope. That question has nagged at me since I first saw it.

I didn't mind this so much, because it wasn't really given any weight (unlike say, Han's dice in the Falcon cockpit which I had literally never notice in 50 viewings of the films). It was kind a nice idea that Obi Wan is taking an active interest in the kid and Owen is telling him to stay the gently caress away.

They did ruin it for me a bit by having the Jawa go on about how they don't make those things any more, like it's some kind of collectible of value that had to be hunted down, when we know that later on Luke grows up to own and fly that same craft. It was a nice frothy and harmless connection until they fumbled it. (Yes the Jawa could just be hyping up the value but if we have to try and make excuses for even stuff like this...)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Owlbear Camus posted:

This is one of the Disney trends that bugs the poo poo out of me, giving huge weight to inconsequential set dressing in the movies that until now never had any attention called to it. First Han's dice, which, fine, at least those are kind of a cool visual thing even though I literally never once noticed them in the OT until afterwards, but the holster? really? Can't wait for season 2 to show us that the poncho Leia wore on Endor was actually the midriff of the outfit Padme wore on Geonosis after the nexu ripped it off

The old EU, for all its faults, largely stayed away from this iirc, but mostly because for a good stretch of its existence Lucas kept most of the pre-OT era off limits so he could make the prequels. Instead it did dumb poo poo like Luke running into the wampa again, but this time it wants revenge for its missing arm

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Sash! posted:

You'll find that Luke has suffered a rare case of sitcom amnesia, where he hit his head and doesn't remember the last couple hours.

It turns out that's not Luke at all, the twist is that it's Bigger Luke.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

Same. Leia's holster too.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

how deeply embarrassing it is to be telling stories about how princess leia got her famous holster.

That one's actually a call-forward to nothing, because it doesn't match the only holster she uses in the movies, or even in the comics:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zoran posted:

Well, she’d probably need to also look at some marriage records, since Owen is Owen Lars. Shmi was his stepmother.

Oh you are right, except Luke is still named Luke Skywalker so that makes it even more obvious when she asked who the boy Owen Lars has is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Robot Style posted:

That one's actually a call-forward to nothing, because it doesn't match the only holster she uses in the movies, or even in the comics:

Lol. Stellar writing in this show.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Regy Rusty posted:

so was this whole show a parody or what

i think thats just what im gonna tell myself lmao

I was thinking during the scene where Reva was asking the rear end in a top hat-but-loyal-to-the-community guy for directions to Owen, villains in these kinds of movies always ask for directions in this ominous villain voice, when asking for directions like a normal person stopping for directions at a gas station would get them a lot further (in this case if the Inquisitors hadn't started cutting people's hands off, though). Anyway, I was thinking if she had asked for directions like a normal person, it would have looked like a parody scene

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I was thinking during the scene where Reva was asking the rear end in a top hat-but-loyal-to-the-community guy for directions to Owen, villains in these kinds of movies always ask for directions in this ominous villain voice, when asking for directions like a normal person stopping for directions at a gas station would get them a lot further (in this case if the Inquisitors hadn't started cutting people's hands off, though). Anyway, I was thinking if she had asked for directions like a normal person, it would have looked like a parody scene

Eh that's a trait of the genre. This is fantasy, every character is played with their cards face up.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I appreciate that Vader gives Obi Wan closure at the end of the fight, assuring him that he didn't fail or kill Anakin, that he did all of that to himself. Kenobi's blue lightsaber hue is on his face, because I believe for a brief moment he is Anakin Skywalker again. But then re-affirms his hatred and he's shaded again in the red of his lightsaber.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
the reza, the geza, the ghost face starkillah

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I feel like they could have done a better job with all that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

teagone posted:

Lol. Stellar writing in this show.

I don't think it's meant to be a call to anything outside the direct story; just showing that Leia wants to follow in whatshernames footsteps to some degree, and is committing not just to politics but to undercutting the Empire because she's had first hand knowledge of them. She's not ditching political showmanship anymore, but she's also not just going to follow it blindly and instead wants to honor the sacrifices that saved her.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I appreciate that Vader gives Obi Wan closure at the end of the fight, assuring him that he didn't fail or kill Anakin, that he did all of that to himself. Kenobi's blue lightsaber hue is on his face, because I believe for a brief moment he is Anakin Skywalker again. But then re-affirms his hatred and he's shaded again in the red of his lightsaber.

It was great and the back and forth was just :perfect:

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Obi-Wan: “Master!”
Qui-Gon: “Six hours of loving about for two minutes of ‘Anakin Vader’? Christ almighty.”

Qui-Gon vanishes and Obi-Wan is left standing alone in an endless desert.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tsob posted:

I don't think it's meant to be a call to anything outside the direct story; just showing that Leia wants to follow in whatshernames footsteps to some degree, and is committing not just to politics but to undercutting the Empire because she's had first hand knowledge of them. She's not ditching political showmanship anymore, but she's also not just going to follow it blindly and instead wants to honor the sacrifices that saved her.

Yea that's what it was exactly.

I liked the final Obi-Wan vs Vader duel was suitably brutal. And I got a bit misty eyed when Obi-Wan told Leia she was the best parts of her parents.

Overall, better than Book of Boba Fett, but still pales in comparison to the Mandolorian.

With all this content between Ep3 and Ep4, i'd like to see a show that is purely focused on the birth of the rebellion. We have seen later stages of it, and we'll be seeing more of it with Andor but something thats got political drama paired with blowing up space fascists.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

What happened to the hat inquisitor? Why even bring the other guy back if he didn’t do anything lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

What happened to the hat inquisitor? Why even bring the other guy back if he didn’t do anything lol

drat totally forgot about the other two inquisitors and didn’t think about how the Grand Inquisitor was just like, “I’m back bitches, but I ain’t doin’ poo poo” and we don’t even see if his guts are all mechanical now.

Really stupid.