Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

poorly aged things

https://twitter.com/filmdaze/status/1481018805698670596

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1539614362364788737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Zwabu posted:

I’m assuming NFTs aren’t all priced at millions of dollars and there’s a range down to cheaper ones, but is the whole point of stuff like twenty million dollar ape NFTs to swing your big crypto dick around and show that you’re one of the players that made so much in crypto that you can afford to blow millions on an ape jpg, that you’re in the club?

That, or the main choice: money laundering. Cartels and other massive criminal organizations use this "tech" to get money into and out of places that would normally make it too difficult or dangerous to do so in the past. Let's refer back to this handy chart:

Edit: To the snipe above me^^^^^^

"You'll follow this breadcrumb trail, and when you connect the dots all you'll see is a dick" - Johhny Silverhand

PITY BONER fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 22, 2022

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

To be fair, being an adviser on a committee just to repeatedly tell them their entire operation is bullshit *would* be a valid approach.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Bitcoin scammers like DO OVER DO OVER right now, LOLOL. Even if bitcoin implodes it will resurface later when more suckers are born. GPUs will briefly become available, then go back out of stock. It's like the scam tide.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

god drat it keanu!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If Weird Al gets into crypto/nfts that’s it for nice guy celebs being compromised

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wake the gently caress up, Diamondhands, we have a planet to burn.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

On the subject of "just tell them it's a bullshit scam", I had to put my money where my mouth is today, because someone I've known for years just casually dropped in a text conversation that they're big into crypto/NFT poo poo. It was like if they'd said "I just read this great book called 'Dianetics', have you ever heard of it" :sigh:

But, I did exactly what I said others should do, and told them straight out that everything I've ever seen about butts just had "SCAM" written all over it. They tried to say that was just FUD amongst other forms of proselytizing, but I didn't budge from my position. I haven't heard back from them since my last message, so we'll see if that friendship is torched or if they'll go the "agree to disagree" route and move on. Expecting the former but hoping for the latter.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On the subject of "just tell them it's a bullshit scam", I had to put my money where my mouth is today, because someone I've known for years just casually dropped in a text conversation that they're big into crypto/NFT poo poo. It was like if they'd said "I just read this great book called 'Dianetics', have you ever heard of it" :sigh:

But, I did exactly what I said others should do, and told them straight out that everything I've ever seen about butts just had "SCAM" written all over it. They tried to say that was just FUD amongst other forms of proselytizing, but I didn't budge from my position. I haven't heard back from them since my last message, so we'll see if that friendship is torched or if they'll go the "agree to disagree" route and move on. Expecting the former but hoping for the latter.

you definitely took the right approach, you've got to just call a spade a spade

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

even if cryptocurrency wasn't a scam it's incredibly stupid to go "BIG" into anything.. if by what they meant is that they put in a significant amount of their worth into it.

a bunch of my friends went into crypto and i've already told them what i think of it but they'll be fine if they lose it all since they didn't sink a ton of money into it.

which reminds me i need to text them to see how their crypto investments are doing.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

OK, so we have now fully established that crypto/NFT dorks are really stupid and will gladly hand over their money to scammers. What do I do with this information to make them hand over their money to me? Like if they're all such easy marks how do I do it?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This Is the Zodiac posted:

OK, so we have now fully established that crypto/NFT dorks are really stupid and will gladly hand over their money to scammers. What do I do with this information to make them hand over their money to me? Like if they're all such easy marks how do I do it?

You have to be smart enough to use twitter and clone a github repository. You can figure it out from there.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
At least CollegeHumor knows.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Back below $20k again

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

HappyHippo posted:

Back below $20k again

The price today is following the trajectory of a playing card after beating Windows solitare

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Extra dead cat bounce.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Protocol7 posted:

Extra dead cat bounce.

beautiful post/av synergy here

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Trading straight out of my anus. A lot of poo poo that I find highly reliable is calling for $14k BTC. Buckle up fam and get some popcorn, it's time to ride the slide.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Trading straight out of my anus. A lot of poo poo that I find highly reliable is calling for $14k BTC. Buckle up fam and get some popcorn, it's time to ride the slide.

Don't tease me like this.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Protocol7 posted:

Extra dead cat bounce.

I feel like the fact that "dead cat bounce" is the term Wall Street uses to describe the phenomenon says a lot about the kind of people who work on Wall Street.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

even if cryptocurrency wasn't a scam it's incredibly stupid to go "BIG" into anything.. if by what they meant is that they put in a significant amount of their worth into it.

a bunch of my friends went into crypto and i've already told them what i think of it but they'll be fine if they lose it all since they didn't sink a ton of money into it.

which reminds me i need to text them to see how their crypto investments are doing.

Yeah, I didn't grill them on just how "big" they are into the world of buttcoin and lovely ape drawings, because at the end of the day it's their money, and if they want to throw it down the Internet funny money pit, it's none of my business. But as expected, they immediately tried to preach the gospel of butts as soon as they saw a potential unbeliever to convert. It was just sad and kind of depressing, overall. :sigh:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1537426037864386561

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Well Bored Ape is playing at my house, my house.

I'll show you the apes kid, i'll show you the apes.

Your mark is a sucker, your mark is a sucker, my mark is a creep.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I feel like the fact that "dead cat bounce" is the term Wall Street uses to describe the phenomenon says a lot about the kind of people who work on Wall Street.

No such thing as a dead cat bounce when you can soar with the power of tether

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm calling for $0 bitcoin and for anyone with crypto to be pilloried. Doesn't mean we'll get what we want.

I'm going to take the pessimistic position and say it doesn't go below $19k today. I just feel that the slam would have started a lot earlier in the day if this was going to get momentum.

The benefit of being the pessimist is if I'm wrong I get to be extra happy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So if crypto collapses are we gonna have a poo poo ton of used graphics cards on the market and other computer parts to try and recoup some of the miner (owners) losses?

I do feel bad for one person I know, who is a good person, and a very good family friend, he was at my sisters birthday party (they’ve known each other since middle school I think) this weekend and my dad and I were joking about crypto and he was talking about how he has it in his portfolio and didn’t want it to trash it too much. We tried to explain it sucks, why it sucks, and how the feds easily seize this stuff and all the regs, and we said we’re not saying it to be dicks. We got a bunch of the standard crypto explanations, he wasn’t a dick about it, so we just agreed to disagree.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So if crypto collapses are we gonna have a poo poo ton of used graphics cards on the market and other computer parts to try and recoup some of the miner (owners) losses?

Its already happening in LA at least.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Its already happening in LA at least.

Good, the quicker bitcoin can loving collapse and burn, the better it will be for the environment. You know until people dispose of all the equipment in the most dumb and environmentally dangerous ways. I’m looking at you Russia, China, and idiot techbro‘s across the world.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It is already happening, huge influx of high end cards on all of the auction/p2p sales sites. New cards that were selling for double MSRP are below MSRP now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't buy them. They run them super hard and hot.

Edit: "New and unopened" means "I own a shrink-wrap machine".

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

My basic argument is that, as an investment, it's inherently irrational and it's irrational to expect to profit. That's because all profits strictly come from others' losses, since crypto does not have business profits, use cases, customers, expanding businesses, etc. and holding tokens, unlike shares, does not grant you rights to the business even if one emerges. So it's as simple as "most 'investors' are mathematically guaranteed to lose." What kind of investment is THAT?

Edit:
I then point them to things like buyouts, which I've had 3 of, all at record prices. This means that every single investor who did not previously sell at a loss is in profit, thanks to other companies wanting to take YOUR inherently valuable shares off your hands. This is an example of outside, non-investor money entering the ecosystem.

small butter fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 22, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

small butter posted:

My basic argument is that, as an investment, it's inherently irrational and it's irrational to expect to profit. That's because all profits strictly come from others' losses, since crypto does not have business profits, use cases, expanding businesses, etc. and holding tokens, unlike shares, does not grant you rights to the business even if one emerges. So it's as simple as "most 'investors' are mathematically guaranteed to lose." What kind of investment is THAT?

i don't think you understand. number go up

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zil posted:

Don't tease me like this.

anus was saying it was gonna go back up right before it dropped from 21 to 18. so if he's saying it's gonna slide to 14 that probably means were in for a manipulation rally.

in the absence of ghostitty, the universe selects the crypto thread's next most prominent butt-toucher to becomes the new reverse-prophet, with the magic power to always be wrong

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah, I figured they’d all be the burnt out or on the verge of burning out or basically death traps that were overclocked too much, that it’s a miracle a warehouse full of miners in China didn’t burn to death.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AFAIK they usually don't run the cards that hard, serious mining ops are interested in hitting peak efficiency rather than peak throughput

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

video cards don't work like that and ETH mining is much easier on the hardware than BTC.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

But but but Linus Tech Tips said it was ok!!!!!

Also I didn't watch his video all the way to the end!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

LTT did a video on it a while back and concluded that if the cards work then they're probably fine, and won't have lost much performance at all, so it really comes down to what price they're being offered at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKqVvXTanzI

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

LTT did a video on it a while back and concluded that if the cards work then they're probably fine, and won't have lost much performance at all, so it really comes down to what price they're being offered at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKqVvXTanzI

Hell yeah, let's all not watch the video to the end! There isn't a very important qualifier at 8:13!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s weird because Bitcoin is falling but it’s like 100 dollars at a time. So it’s so slow