Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

nrook posted:

I like achievements, but I don't like when an achievement notification pops up at an important story moment. I feel that is gauche and amateurish, and I don't miss it on the Switch.

The only time that was ever any good was in Portal 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Flashback to all that bullshit collecting flags and feathers in Assassin's Creed, and the pigeons in GTA. Busywork achievements just to pad out gameplay are stupid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nrook posted:

I like achievements, but I don't like when an achievement notification pops up at an important story moment. I feel that is gauche and amateurish, and I don't miss it on the Switch.

i loved watching a stream of Lost Odyssey and at the end of the first short story section where this really emotional backstory/memory thing got told, you got a cheevo popup and a tutorial screen of "do you want to learn how to read memories"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Finally, a good Switch game.

https://twitter.com/hyaku1128/status/1539631881116712960?s=21&t=KLtFfn2t1LxPsvt_WTGeFw

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Recently I was musing about the fact how strange it is that I have crammed my Steam and GOG-libraries full of group-based dungeon crawlers, and even have lots of those (like almost every part of the Etrian Odyssey series) on my old 3DS, but none on my Switch.

Does the Switch have something like those games, you know, the ones were you make up a group of weirdos with silly names and even sillier professions, and then let them climb down into a cave to get murdered by large monsters?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Libluini posted:

Recently I was musing about the fact how strange it is that I have crammed my Steam and GOG-libraries full of group-based dungeon crawlers, and even have lots of those (like almost every part of the Etrian Odyssey series) on my old 3DS, but none on my Switch.

Does the Switch have something like those games, you know, the ones were you make up a group of weirdos with silly names and even sillier professions, and then let them climb down into a cave to get murdered by large monsters?

it's not quite a traditional dungeon crawler (it's not first-person and has minimal grid-map graphics) but try out Dungeon Encounters

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Libluini posted:

Dungeon Encounters is minimalist but scratches that itch pretty well. Labyrinth of Refrain is great mechanically, phenomenal musically, and has an overall emotionally impactful plot with some big yikes moments early on.

I feel like there was one other Switch dungeon dive I enjoyed but I can't bring it to mind right now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Triangle Strategy silliness

I just really should have lost a battle.

I started with 12 troops and everyone died except Anna

There were 3 enemy archers, two battlemages, a healer, and the hardest boss I have yet fought.

I just attacked, hid, attacked, hid and managed to kill them all just with Anna. I did get spotted once and almost died but managed to hide and use her natural healing ability while stocking up TP.

It's probably going to cost me in my next fight but lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Triangle Strategy silliness

I just really should have lost a battle.

I started with 12 troops and everyone died except Anna

There were 3 enemy archers, two battlemages, a healer, and the hardest boss I have yet fought.

I just attacked, hid, attacked, hid and managed to kill them all just with Anna. I did get spotted once and almost died but managed to hide and use her natural healing ability while stocking up TP.

It's probably going to cost me in my next fight but lol

Hell yeah Anna owns lol

Which fight was this?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah Anna owns lol

Which fight was this?

Against Minister Lyla in the ministry
Chapter XVIII

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

there's a real lack of this and they should start making etrian odyssey games for the switch imo

labyrinth of refrain seems mondo gross and the only other similar type game i know of on the switch is one called undernauts: labyrinth of yomi but the only thing i know about that one is that it has a batshit aesthetic

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Your Computer posted:

there's a real lack of this and they should start making etrian odyssey games for the switch imo

labyrinth of refrain seems mondo gross and the only other similar type game i know of on the switch is one called undernauts: labyrinth of yomi but the only thing i know about that one is that it has a batshit aesthetic

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Against Minister Lyla in the ministry
Chapter XVIII

Oh yeah that fight can be nasty. Lyla is no joke. As soon as I saw she had time powers I was like :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I made it a fair way into Undernauts before burning out on it. Somehow nothing other than Etrian Odyssey can manage to quite get it right.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zoran posted:

The only time that was ever any good was in Portal 2.
There's a good use of it in Double Dragon Neon.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm desperately trying to get two of my friends to try neon white. One of them was obsessed with mirror's edge! They both said they'll "get around to it probably"

Ugh why won't other adults consume the exact same media I want/need them to??

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh no poo poo Xenoblade 3 looks cool son of a bitch I’m still only like one area into Xenoblade 2 gently caress

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I never finished xb2 and i might get xb3 because it actually looks a lot better

im going to assume i can ignore xb2 story

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I remember the original announcement making it sound like you can’t, they called it a conclusion to the saga or something

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve never beaten XB1 maybe I should before 3

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got to the point of no return on the base game of XB2 and then went back to grind KOSMOS and kept getting random non-rare blades w/ legendary cores and gave up

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Marx Headroom posted:

Achievements are the game's way of telling me "Hey that thing you just did was pretty cool!" I feel no need to collect them. I'm not gonna simp for a texture pack.

I find it super annoying when achievements are just stuff you have to do to finish the game. Who cares! Give me achievements for weird poo poo or don't bother at all imo. Anyway I'm buying kirby today.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I find it super annoying when achievements are just stuff you have to do to finish the game. Who cares! Give me achievements for weird poo poo or don't bother at all imo. Anyway I'm buying kirby today.

I feel the same way. Fallout 3's achievements were quite bad in that way. I really enjoy the ones that either are for weird stuff, or they push you out of your comfort zone. "Beat L4D2 in Realism mode" hahahahaha no fuckin thanks, but I appreciate that it's there.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I remember hearing back in the. Xbox360 days that those cheevos were used as data by the devs of those games to gauge how far players got. I can only assume this is still true.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

KingSlime posted:

I'm desperately trying to get two of my friends to try neon white. One of them was obsessed with mirror's edge! They both said they'll "get around to it probably"

Ugh why won't other adults consume the exact same media I want/need them to??

I have a massive backlog and I'm waiting for it to go on sale.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

you are beyond saving

I've known that for a while now

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah. Achievements can be great, but not the ones for just doing mandatory stuff. They're good for giving you goals after you've beaten a game and are looking for cool stuff to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I never finished xb2 and i might get xb3 because it actually looks a lot better

im going to assume i can ignore xb2 story

You'll actually likely assume wrong there :v:. They've stated XB3 does tie into both prior games somewhat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The more XC3 will be like XCX, the happier I'll be

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They should still port that one to Switch.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
They should just make a sequel to X. It ends on a helluva cliffhanger.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Xenogears port pls

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Palmtree Panic posted:

They should just make a sequel to X. It ends on a helluva cliffhanger.

Unlikely, I hear X is generally disliked in Japan for some reason. Probably because it is such a offshoot of the original that it didn't win much favor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Xenogears port pls

Xenosaga

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
It’s the 23rd. Where the hell is my blade runner enhanced edition

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I’m glad they brought back the ability to fight as a giant robot but minus the part where it ruins everything else that was fun about the game

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Len posted:

Xenosaga

Forget the port. They should obviously remake Xenosaga from the ground up now that they have the resources.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Augus posted:

I’m glad they brought back the ability to fight as a giant robot but minus the part where it ruins everything else that was fun about the game

Ruins?

I never wanted to leave my skell, and got grumpy when I couldn't alpha strike the mob into dust particles

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1539957401176113155?t=k4-0NElcw2mWYtCK0UmciQ&s=19

Doom 2016 and Monster Hunter Rise play beautifully on the Switch, and so far, this looks like it's received the same level of attention to optimization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1539957401176113155?t=k4-0NElcw2mWYtCK0UmciQ&s=19

Doom 2016 and Monster Hunter Rise play beautifully on the Switch, and so far, this looks like it's received the same level of attention to optimization.

Pretty impressive tbh!

Not my kind of game but maybe someday it will be with the type of stuff they keep doing.