Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
lmao who the gently caress buys a house on stock-based comp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bastard Tetris posted:

lmao who the gently caress buys a house on stock-based comp

leveraging a loan against those assets is basically how all turbo rich people create cash

why take money out and pay taxes when you can take a practically free loan against assets that will accumulate more money than the interest payment is worth?? this was basically the single smartest thing to do with low interest rates. thats gone now though lol

its still hella smart if you're turbo rich though and can get a dece loan. saves you from paying extra taxes.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

anime was right posted:

leveraging a loan against those assets is basically how all turbo rich people create cash

why take money out and pay taxes when you can take a practically free loan against assets that will accumulate more money than the interest payment is worth?? this was basically the single smartest thing to do with low interest rates. thats gone now though lol

Those aren't assets they're leveraging - its future income paid out as stock.

Which means if the stock price goes down you take an automatic pay cut of that %, instantaneously.

Now use this future income as the basis for a maxed out mortgage and a funny thing occurs

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

anime was right posted:

A few folks I know managed to use private banking to get tiny rear end collateralized mortgages, not really sure how that will play out but lol, probably a lot less safe than my 2.375% mortgage

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Trying to buy a house in Seattle, might actually succeed because a seller made an interesting decision. They placed an offer on a new house before selling their old one. They will lose their earnest money unless they get a buyer by their stated offer date+3 days, willing to waive inspection (house is only 5 years old and they had a pretty good seller inspection), and willing to commit to a 21 day closing. I guess this kind of nonsense made sense a few months ago.

Tonight was the offer date and they had no offers.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I did something similar but didn’t write it into the goddamn offer lmao, I just said I’d rent the place at market rate to hit the income qualifications.

You have to gently caress up real bad to lose earnest money.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I don't know how it works when you're also selling the house but it seems like they can't get the down payment for the new house without selling this one or whatever.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah they’re hosed

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Schmeichy posted:

Get a minivan and trick it out, rvs are for suckers

don’t Van Life’d minivans get absolute poo poo mpg because of the added weight

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bastard Tetris posted:

You have to gently caress up real bad to lose earnest money.

they were giving it away in Jan / Feb / Mar. unrefundable for any reason earnest money that is a gift to the seller if the buyer backs out for any reason.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

30.5 Days posted:

I don't know how it works when you're also selling the house but it seems like they can't get the down payment for the new house without selling this one or whatever.

Generally if you’re selling and buying like that you’d make a contingent offer where your buyers contract is only valid if you can get under contract on the home you’re selling within a certain period. If you can’t sell your place the contract voids and you don’t lose your earnest money.

But with the market being what it is contingent offers are frowned upon by sellers so they may have just taken a chance and it’s backfiring.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s just like the last two or three weeks that any seller would even entertain a contingent offer here.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

wolfs posted:

don’t Van Life’d minivans get absolute poo poo mpg because of the added weight

So do rvs

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

30.5 Days posted:

Trying to buy a house in Seattle, might actually succeed because a seller made an interesting decision. They placed an offer on a new house before selling their old one. They will lose their earnest money unless they get a buyer by their stated offer date+3 days, willing to waive inspection (house is only 5 years old and they had a pretty good seller inspection), and willing to commit to a 21 day closing. I guess this kind of nonsense made sense a few months ago.

Tonight was the offer date and they had no offers.

how much it gonna cost?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s just like the last two or three weeks that any seller would even entertain a contingent offer here.

You can definitely see the market shifting where I live too. Stuff that would have been off the market in days a couple months ago is sitting there and the really weird/old/fixer poo poo is starting to get significant price adjustments (normal looking stuff seems to still be moving at the same prices as last year though). Somebody a couple blocks from my current location just listed a two bedroom, one bathroom serious fixer for $650k lmao no way buddy you missed that window

I’ll say though I’m kind of pissed it’s cooling now. My rear end in a top hat landlord gave me a 90 day notice in early April (I guess a little more because it was officially dated May 1 but you know) so she could convert the duplex to air bnb and I had been planning to buy once the market cooled so she kind of upended my timeline and made me go through all the hassle of buying this spring and then my options if I’d waited a couple months were way better. I guess I got in before the interest rates went way up tho so I did alright but what a miserable process the whole thing is

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Jun 22, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-secures-groundbreaking-settlement-agreement-meta-platforms-formerly-known
Meta enabled and encouraged advertisers to target their housing ads by relying on race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status and national origin to decide which Facebook users will be eligible and ineligible to receive housing ads.

Meta must pay to the United States a civil penalty of $115,054, the maximum penalty available under the Fair Housing Act.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’ll say though I’m kind of pissed it’s cooling now.

this is the problem I was in lease and in September. had to choose to renew in august. rates are rising, prices starting to loosen but lol any gains there are much smaller than rate increases.

it is still cheaper to buy than continue to rent lmao.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this is the problem I was in lease and in September. had to choose to renew in august. rates are rising, prices starting to loosen but lol any gains there are much smaller than rate increases.

it is still cheaper to buy than continue to rent lmao.

Yeah. Same situation. Plus city of Portland caps rent increases at 10% year over year so last three places I’ve rented after a couple years I’m under market and landlord gives me a 90 day so they can relet for $1000/month more. I feel like the no cause eviction ban has so many loopholes it’s not even real, they just tell you they’re doing significant remodels and they don’t actually follow through. I’m gonna be glad not dealing with that poo poo anymore even if I’m pissed somebody else dictated my timeframe

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

Those aren't assets they're leveraging - its future income paid out as stock.

Which means if the stock price goes down you take an automatic pay cut of that %, instantaneously.

Now use this future income as the basis for a maxed out mortgage and a funny thing occurs

This is what Gordon gecko talked about in his speech in Wall Street 2 but I was the only one who watched that movie (still holds up today 12 years later!)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Meta must pay to the United States a civil penalty of $115,054, the maximum penalty available under the Fair Housing Act.
that'll teach 'em!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

housing is listed at constant or less than it was, but rates are so much higher that’s it’s basically just as expensive if not more so

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ornery and Hornery posted:

housing is listed at constant or less than it was, but rates are so much higher that’s it’s basically just as expensive if not more so

in my area of northern california its merely price stabilization and slightly longer list times. they're still selling and for asking but its not an 3 day turnover anymore.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Today we learned more- they are tech people who used flyhomes because it's tech. They are already living in their new house and they need their money fast or flyhomes is going to start charging them late fees out the rear end. We got $25k off the asking and they're paying $10k for the sewage capacity charge.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

30.5 Days posted:

Today we learned more- they are tech people who used flyhomes because it's tech. They are already living in their new house and they need their money fast or flyhomes is going to start charging them late fees out the rear end. We got $25k off the asking and they're paying $10k for the sewage capacity charge.

lol I didn’t know what that was

https://www.forbes.com/sites/margheritabeale/2021/06/10/real-estate-startup-flyhomes-valued-at-800-million-after-new-funding-round posted:

The Seattle-based company is capitalizing on a pandemic-fueled home-buying frenzy that has made cash offers a critical strategy for winning bidding wars in overheated markets like San Francisco and Seattle, and increased its transaction volume by 240% since last May.

“We’re trying to build the world's best home buying experience,” says Tushar Garg, CEO and cofounder of Flyhomes. “With this round of funding, it really sets us up to go deliver on that.”

Through the company’s Cash Offers program, Flyhomes purchases a home on a buyer’s behalf who, after moving in, pays rent to the company until they are able to secure the financing to buy it back. If the buyer’s financing falls through, Flyhomes guarantees that the startup will purchase the home, done through an addendum to the buyer’s offer.

In 2019, Flyhomes introduced its Buy Before You Sell program, allowing sellers to unlock equity from their current home in order to buy a new one. This option provides a guaranteed price for the buyer’s current home, which Flyhomes then lists for sale and will purchase if it does not sell within 90 days. Through this program, if a home is sold above market price, buyers pocket the difference, as opposed to traditional iBuyers platforms, which keep it themselves.

Garg, an Indian immigrant and former Microsoft executive, envisions going public, but says he is currently focused on expansion. While the pandemic initially forced Garg to restructure Flyhomes, furloughing employees and eliminating positions, he says quick growth has allowed the company to bring most of these workers back. The startup has nearly doubled its pre-pandemic headcount, and currently has around 400 employees, he says.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lmao no wonder, they asked us to release the earnest money early, they're using it to pay their july rent

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Thank u Mr Garg

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I listed my house for sale today and have zero clue what it will sell for. Maybe 50% over what I paid, maybe 5%! Who knows because the market is completely insane and everything is priced arbitrarily.

Totally not a stressful situation. Guess I’ll find out by tomorrow/Friday if it’s listed overpriced or not!

mawarannahr posted:

lol I didn’t know what that was

This is literally just the terms of most large corporations (Amazon, WM, Capital One, etc.) relocation/home purchase policies for employees but offered to the public. Probably uses some of the same providers/broker networks so it’s almost zero effort for the company.

Saltpowered has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Jun 23, 2022

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
smiling coyly after drumming up $10k in late fees "Thanks, I like to play"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Tushar Garg, the sound i imagine a ceo's head makes right after the guillotine blade drops

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I just got a house for $4000 idk what you Povertoids are complaining about

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol moving to colorado and my rent is going from 1500 to 2100 whoops

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol moving to colorado and my rent is going from 1500 to 2100 whoops

2100 for now

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Zero showing requests so far for this weekend. Priced under comparable recent sales and most other things on the market. More footage, acreage, upgrades, etc. In a super hot market up until this week.

My realtor tells me she has almost no showings on any property this weekend. Very cool. Gonna drop price by 5-10% on Monday because this is probably gonna get worse.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lawlicaust posted:

Zero showing requests so far for this weekend. Priced under comparable recent sales and most other things on the market. More footage, acreage, upgrades, etc. In a super hot market up until this week.

My realtor tells me she has almost no showings on any property this weekend. Very cool. Gonna drop price by 5-10% on Monday because this is probably gonna get worse.

what market?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Tampa.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

Lawlicaust posted:

In the same boat! Tacoma market. Couldn't have known that we *should* have sold three months ago when identical properties to ours were going for 110% or more. Argh.

Price drop yesterday got a lot of views, fingers crossed for some action this week.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

love to spent 4500/month to RENT a home that is in a completely car-dependent area where you don't even have sidewalks (notice picture lol)

https://www.startribune.com/upscale-rental-homes-catch-on-in-twin-cities-metro-area/600185458/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Crusty Nutsack posted:

my landlord finally set up online payments and of course it'll cost me $2.95 for the pleasure of paying them through it lmao

scum of the earth motherfuckers

guess I'm gonna keep using checks until I die

Before they switched over to a new system there was a "convenience fee" when paying for utilities. Lmfao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Before they switched over to a new system there was a "convenience fee" when paying for utilities. Lmfao

oh god that phrase is making me tense

Paying rent was drat near the only reason we kept a checkbook, loving parasites
god forbid they eat the processing fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

actionjackson posted:

love to spent 4500/month to RENT a home that is in a completely car-dependent area where you don't even have sidewalks (notice picture lol)

https://www.startribune.com/upscale-rental-homes-catch-on-in-twin-cities-metro-area/600185458/

every single thing about this is hellish