Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

or figuring out where to poo poo so nobody gets cholera (poop management is a huge part of public health)

i mean in a complete collapse situation your best bet is figuring out the least painful way to off yourself because it beats, say, cholera

speaking of which here’s what it might look like for some folx

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61762787 posted:

The Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, all but destroyed by weeks of shelling and now under Russian control, is at risk of a major cholera outbreak, the UK defence ministry says.

Much of the city's infrastructure is damaged or destroyed and water has mixed with sewage, according to the UN.

Cholera is usually caught by eating or drinking contaminated food or water and is closely linked to poor sanitation.

Uncollected dead bodies and rubbish add to the unsanitary conditions.

There have been outbreaks of the disease in Mariupol before, and isolated cases have been reported in the past month.

The city's Ukrainian mayor, Vadym Boychenko told BBC Ukrainian that "cholera, dysentery and other infectious diseases are already in the city", and that the city has been closed off to avoid a larger outbreak.

The claims cannot be verified by the BBC, and the Russian-appointed mayor says regular testing takes place and no cases of cholera have been recorded.

Ukraine's health ministry said it has limited access to information from Mariupol, but has conducted testing in Ukraine-held territory and not uncovered any cases.

An explosion crater filled with water and rubbish in Mariupol on 29 AprilGetty Images
Mariupol's water system has been heavily damaged
Earlier this week, the UN said that water had mixed with sewage in Mariupol, increasing the risk of a cholera outbreak. The Red Cross has warned that the destruction to sanitation infrastructure had set the ground for the spread of water-borne diseases.

Cholera can 'kill within hours'

Cholera can be a very serious illness. In the most severe cases, if left untreated, the disease can kill within hours.

It is caused by a bacterium called Vibrio cholerae and people tend to catch it by eating food or drinking water contaminated with the bug.

The spread of cholera is closely linked to poor sanitation facilities and unsafe drinking water where the bug can thrive and spread.

It is a disease that often adds to the suffering in humanitarian crises - when there is disruption of water and sanitation supplies and people shelter in crowded spaces, with extra pressure on water systems.

Once infected, some people get watery diarrhoea and become severely dehydrated. This needs rapid treatment with fluids and antibiotics.

Others get mild to moderate symptoms and many with the disease do not have symptoms at all, but they can still carry the bug in their faeces.

Vaccines and improved sanitation can help get cholera outbreaks under control.

In addition, sanitary conditions in the city are said to be extremely poor, with piles of rubbish on the streets and bodies still lying under the rubble.

"Many corpses are lying on the ground and inside the buildings... bodies are rotting there. Lots of cockroaches, flies. A pile of dirt. Garbage that no one takes out," Kyiv resident Anastasiia Zolotarova, whose mother left Mariupol last week, told the BBC.

Mariupol fell into Russian hands in May after a brutal assault lasting nearly three months, which left the city in ruins.

In April, the Ukrainian mayor said more than 10,000 civilians had already died. The battle raged for several more weeks after that, suggesting the death toll could be far higher.

Makeshift cemeteries have been built around the city to deal with the huge number of bodies, and many more are buried in back yards, parks and squares, according to Mr Boychenko.

Graves in a residentialGetty Images
Many graves have been dug in residential areas
Earlier this week, the Mariupol city council warned that a cholera outbreak could kill tens of thousands of people, listing a number of factors that could lead to an "explosive" epidemic, including a lack of medicine and medical facilities.

"They (the Russians) destroyed our infectious diseases hospital with all the equipment, killed the doctors," Mr Boychenko told the BBC.

Another Ukrainian Mariupol official recently claimed there was a "catastrophic" shortage of medics in the city, adding that the Russian-appointed authorities were trying to persuade retired doctors, even those over the age of 80, to return to work.

A vehicle clears rubbleGetty Images
Bodies are said to still lie under the rubble
Bodies lying under piles of rubble and mountains of uncollected rubbish is not the image of Mariupol the Russian-appointed authorities want to portray.

They prefer to describe it as a city returning to normal life, posting pictures on social media of children returning to classrooms and lorries collecting rubbish.

But much of the city still lies in ruins, and an outbreak of cholera or any other infectious disease would be a further huge challenge for the estimated 100,000 people still living there after the horror of the last few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Extremely sad to report that yet another species could soon be extinct :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Stereotype posted:

when society collapses I’m just gonna die. I wanna keep my expectations low

Escape from Tarkov has disabused me of any notion that I'm surviving generalized gun violence in the street. There's 100% going to be people with rifles taking potshots of whatever they can see from their window, just for fun. My friends keep encouraging me to buy a long rifle, and that is in the cards, but as long as I'm in LA, open carrying a rifle just means they don't have to feel bad for dropping me since I would be clearly armed.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Extremely sad to report that yet another species could soon be extinct :(

this is the only action a lot of goons get too!!

v sad

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

and that little girl did the wakanda pose and was albert einstein

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just a reminder that Dr. Sarah Taber is pro follow on all things farm and land.

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww

She grows her own wheat, and yells at landlords!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Confusedslight posted:

So speaking very broadly. Is everything just going to get slightly more poo poo with every passing year or will it suddenly all come at once?

Yes.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1539264614885691393

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

yeah, the real thing upholding what we think of as modern civilization is water. problem is you can't compress it and it's a pain in the rear end to store and we need so much.

because you need to drink it to live
but it's also going to come out and all that poop and pee has to go somewhere
and if you don't wash your hands after, you get bad diseases
which usually make you poop and pee and throw up
which can spread even more diseases
then you can get weird skin issues if you don't wash yourself and your clothes often enough

like the UNHR says 20 liters per day is a minimum for essential levels of the right to water and sanitation but says states should aim for 50-100 liters per day

20 liters is 5 gallons or so. you can see how this gets difficult even if you have a nice compound with giant water storage tanks.

now obviously there are some solutions if you want to get into composting toilets and whatnot
and poop can be a fantastic fertilizer
but it's still a good idea to wash your hands after
and if you do the composting process wrong and don't kill the bacteria you're making a lot more fertilizer before you become fertilizer

and most water consumption isn't household, it's industry and agriculture

thing is a lot of public health measures have been so successful they're basically invisible. think how vaccination has been so successful people are now against it because hey man nobody gets measles and who even knows what's in those things OH poo poo MY KID GOT MEASLES. the first world hasn't had a cholera outbreak in a long while...though spain is going through one now, exciting times. and then you get into things like yellow fever and insect borne diseases which we are only going to see more and more of with climate change, and it's going to be in areas where you don't normally think of it. we don't see it now because there's been a lot of work put into suppressing mosquitos but that goes away in the event of collapse.

like until relatively recently people just died all the loving time. you cut yourself and it got infected and died. animal bit you, you died. you had a heart defect but nobody knew about it, ahh gently caress i'm dead. harvest didn't come in, you died. you fell in the river and got some water in your lungs and died. and a lot of this requires government coordination or specialization of labor. if you're tilling your own soil and planting your own crops you probably aren't also going to have time to build a sewage treatment plant. or the next dipshit up the river just shits in the river and you drink it and W E L P.

that's not even getting into "can you really walk up to a screaming, wounded animal and kill it? can you butcher it without screwing up and giving yourself some weird disease? do you know the signs and symptoms of, say, the deer wasting disease going around now that hasn't jumped to humans yet, but could?" i mean prions are just plain no fun and cooking won't kill them so lmao.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

if I needed water, I would simply run through the forest to the idyllic, unpolluted stream and drink.

oh, all of the rivers and streams are toxic waste dumps now? oh

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

yeah, the real thing upholding what we think of as modern civilization is water. problem is you can't compress it and it's a pain in the rear end to store and we need so much.

because you need to drink it to live
but it's also going to come out and all that poop and pee has to go somewhere
and if you don't wash your hands after, you get bad diseases
which usually make you poop and pee and throw up
which can spread even more diseases
then you can get weird skin issues if you don't wash yourself and your clothes often enough

like the UNHR says 20 liters per day is a minimum for essential levels of the right to water and sanitation but says states should aim for 50-100 liters per day

20 liters is 5 gallons or so. you can see how this gets difficult even if you have a nice compound with giant water storage tanks.

now obviously there are some solutions if you want to get into composting toilets and whatnot
and poop can be a fantastic fertilizer
but it's still a good idea to wash your hands after
and if you do the composting process wrong and don't kill the bacteria you're making a lot more fertilizer before you become fertilizer

and most water consumption isn't household, it's industry and agriculture

thing is a lot of public health measures have been so successful they're basically invisible. think how vaccination has been so successful people are now against it because hey man nobody gets measles and who even knows what's in those things OH poo poo MY KID GOT MEASLES. the first world hasn't had a cholera outbreak in a long while...though spain is going through one now, exciting times. and then you get into things like yellow fever and insect borne diseases which we are only going to see more and more of with climate change, and it's going to be in areas where you don't normally think of it. we don't see it now because there's been a lot of work put into suppressing mosquitos but that goes away in the event of collapse.

like until relatively recently people just died all the loving time. you cut yourself and it got infected and died. animal bit you, you died. you had a heart defect but nobody knew about it, ahh gently caress i'm dead. harvest didn't come in, you died. you fell in the river and got some water in your lungs and died. and a lot of this requires government coordination or specialization of labor. if you're tilling your own soil and planting your own crops you probably aren't also going to have time to build a sewage treatment plant. or the next dipshit up the river just shits in the river and you drink it and W E L P.

that's not even getting into "can you really walk up to a screaming, wounded animal and kill it? can you butcher it without screwing up and giving yourself some weird disease? do you know the signs and symptoms of, say, the deer wasting disease going around now that hasn't jumped to humans yet, but could?" i mean prions are just plain no fun and cooking won't kill them so lmao.

I thought we settled that? You don't have to hunt beans.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

was at a seminar on how to deal with plastics that ended with several scientists bragging about the polyhydroxybutyrate swag they had from the late-90s

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

*however* as we have seen shortages and whatnot are already happening and incredibly likely so i wouldn't say you should get into setting up a farm as a "ho ho here i will survive untrammeled by modern civilization" move, but if you like fresh produce or like having that ace up your sleeve, it can't hurt. i don't have ~7ish days of food tucked away for total civilizational collapse but because i've been through hurricanes and other disasters where nobody can get in for days/weeks and the store shelves are empty. to say nothing of a katrina-style situation where the government/authorities are incompetent/indifferent for several days.

Yeah, I mention all the time that it's absolutely possible for anyone with a yard that gets at least some sun to grow enough food to guard a bit against scarcity and cost. Absolutely not against collapse, but we have a roughly 50x50 foot garden that requires fairly minimal labor (maybe a few hours per week now that it's going, definitely less than 4/week) and produces enough food that we basically don't need to go grocery shopping from May until around October. We still do because we like variety and buy plenty of cooking supplies, fruits, and poo poo we can't grow, but it's hilarious how much our food costs are down over the last 4-5 years even accounting for the input costs to the garden.

But yeah, we'd die for sure in the event of any kind of real shortage, but it's a nice hedge against increasing costs or temporary scarcity of fresh produce. We're also trying to get better about freezing and drying things so we have more on hand over the winter.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
One of the things im doing for myself and my family to make collapse suck less overall is that im trying to get good at cooking anything that grows locally and easily here in my area. That way if it comes down to like - well poo poo all that really worked out this seasons was zucchinis and butternut squashes, at least theyll be good and I wont just be flailing about wildly eating garbage.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My wife and I are moving to California to start raising goats. I don't care if we die sooner in the water wars I want out of cities and to be in and around what little nature we have left before the chuds come for us.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Meanwhile…

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1539291924435070976?s=20&t=r5rp0OWcpOfCtKwrev9CPA

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Yet another Lake Mead update from our favorite ex-military prepper nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gND12rp0IDM

kater
Nov 16, 2010

actionjackson posted:

but are they actually doing anything, like you know, moving

HOW IS BURNING CARBON GONNA HELP AHHHHHH

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

lmao that loving boat out of water truly apocalyptic imagery there imo

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I mention all the time that it's absolutely possible for anyone with a yard that gets at least some sun to grow enough food to guard a bit against scarcity and cost. Absolutely not against collapse, but we have a roughly 50x50 foot garden that requires fairly minimal labor (maybe a few hours per week now that it's going, definitely less than 4/week) and produces enough food that we basically don't need to go grocery shopping from May until around October. We still do because we like variety and buy plenty of cooking supplies, fruits, and poo poo we can't grow, but it's hilarious how much our food costs are down over the last 4-5 years even accounting for the input costs to the garden.

But yeah, we'd die for sure in the event of any kind of real shortage, but it's a nice hedge against increasing costs or temporary scarcity of fresh produce. We're also trying to get better about freezing and drying things so we have more on hand over the winter.

well, the real reason you'd die in the event of actual collapse isn't that the food you grow would be insufficient, it's that places like yours would be among the first to get raided by roving bands of marauders

the places that are actually resilient against collapse are commune-type places where people have built close ties and can also defend themselves and their establishment

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

quote:

The Bureau of Reclamation’s studies show a 20 percent chance of Mead going below 1,050 feet by 2025, odds well within the conceivable.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

New York state is gonna be the best place to go in the US as a climate refugee imo. Plenty of lakes, decent climate, few natural disasters. Get in now before the NYC people are forced to relocate by the rising water.

those NYC people are going to be the reason why NY state is not the best place to go lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

well, the real reason you'd die in the event of actual collapse isn't that the food you grow would be insufficient, it's that places like yours would be among the first to get raided by roving bands of marauders

the places that are actually resilient against collapse are commune-type places where people have built close ties and can also defend themselves and their establishment

lol

No, I'm pretty sure we'd die from actually not producing enough food long before "raiders" bothered to come by to steal a single basket of tomatoes, peppers, and kale that they'd need to harvest themselves. Home gardens and even homestead-style farms are kind of by definition places that don't offer much potential for theft. There wouldn't actually be any food out there if we stopped maintaining it, and in the insane event that we were trying to live off our garden, there certainly wouldn't be any food for raiders to steal since we'd be eating all of it every day just to get by.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

lol

No, I'm pretty sure we'd die from actually not producing enough food long before "raiders" bothered to come by to steal a single basket of tomatoes, peppers, and kale that they'd need to harvest themselves. Home gardens and even homestead-style farms are kind of by definition places that don't offer much potential for theft. There wouldn't actually be any food out there if we stopped maintaining it, and in the insane event that we were trying to live off our garden, there certainly wouldn't be any food for raiders to steal since we'd be eating all of it every day just to get by.

ah, when you said you don't need to go grocery shopping from may until october, i thought you meant like, you were fully self-sustaining

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

silicone thrills posted:

Looking forward to my home salmon berry plants to be big enough to start propagating even more around.

Also have an invasive laural to cut down this summer to replace with something native and useful. Some tallish shrub that pairs well with western red cedar. Got an old establish and fruiting osoberry that would border on the other side.

The osoberry is so drat unruly and a lovely bird hide out. Everytime I get into it to inspect it and pull out any ivy that's gotten in, there's so many Robins and sparrows
bless you :3:

a pair of scrubwrens appeared in my orchard and it was more exciting than a visit from anybody famous

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Raiders who survive long enough to raid don't kill the farmers.

Steal all of their stuff causing starvation, sure, but not kill.

And food's seasonal, and there's different harvest times for different plants. Most you can get away with is the one harvest's worth.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Perhaps the raiders could come to some sort of arrangement with the farming masses, whereupon protection is granted in exchange for goods, services, and foodstuffs....

:hmmyes:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Think of the branding opportunities for the raiders though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Not having refrigeration is really gonna gently caress up a lot of people imo

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

the only refrigeration that I will die without is the refrigeration inside of my home, the air conditioning

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Large swathes of people without electricity for extended periods will be ... interesting

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I have watched hours of townsends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdzAt6e1l-c

I, a midwesterner, will survive off of stockfish

I'm not sure how I'm going to get Cod in michigan, but I'm sure I'll figure it out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

pissinthewind posted:

quote:

The Bureau of Reclamation’s studies show a 20 percent chance of Mead going below 1,050 feet by 2025, odds well within the conceivable.

lol

lmao

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Basic Poster posted:

I wish there was a way to set up a list of regional goon safe houses without it eventually falling into bad hands.
plant a baobab in your yard to mark it as goon-safe

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Lake Mead is an inactive pool and I still have to loving go to work tomorrow.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

1glitch0 posted:

I've only met one goon. It was like 15+ years ago. I was new in town and he invited me over to his apartment and smoked me the gently caress out. He was obsessed with weed. Different ways to smoke it, had a whole set up to grow it. I never met another person from the website figured I'd get out while I was ahead.
that was me. i have always loved you

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Shifty Nipples posted:

If you're not an enemy you're a friend :shrug:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lake Mead may be an inactive pool but I'm watching the congressional trial of an inactive tool who will NEVER be returning to the white house

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The quote refers to 1050ft above sea level, your picture lake depth. If our lake mead Youtuber is right, that tube he shows off in his video is about 1000ft MSL.

https://mead.uslakes.info/Level/ 1043

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

bi crimes posted:

if I needed water, I would simply run through the forest to the idyllic, unpolluted stream and drink.