Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

Not really, and besides that Brain Freeze is an instant so you can just respond to their effect by comboing off again and killing them anyway

Are you pairing the Brain Freeze with a forced draw effect?

E:

Wait, you just mill yourself and Thoracle. I'm dumb.

Toshimo posted:

That's basically never a concern. Once in 100 games you might get got by an Emrakul, but it basically never happens.

I was thinking more of a Gaea's Blessing than an Emrakul.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I was thinking more of a Gaea's Blessing than an Emrakul.

Nobody runs that. You're more afraid of stax effects than you are the random GB.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Endurance is probably the only one seeing play right now. Endurance is really good and really strong, it hasnt really seen widespread adoption yet outside of 4-color farm and also because it’s a super in demands modern card and all the other forms of GY disruption are way, way cheaper and also static effects to boot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think my next Commander deck is gonna be Kangee, Aerie Keeper.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

Nobody runs any cards to prevent getting milled out?

Then you can't win with your own Thassa's Oracle.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then you can't win with your own Thassa's Oracle.

People usually exile their deck they don’t mill it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

pseudanonymous posted:

People usually exile their deck they don’t mill it.

Not when you mill yourself with Brain Freeze to win with Thassa's Oracle!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Yeah, no, I was being a goober and thinking about milling* other people to win, not milling myself to Thoracle.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 23, 2022

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

A social contract/rule zero question -

3 friends and I, longtime 1v1 players, are about to start jamming EDH on Tabletop Simulator. We’re gonna start by netdecking decks cheaper than $500 from EDHREC.

I’m a Jund fiend and want to give Yurlock a try. However, I keep seeing this card Stoneshaker Shaman in decklists.

2R
Creature
At the end of each player’s turn, that player sacrifices an untapped land.

So, clearly the idea is to force opponents to mana burn themselves to save their lands.

However, I’ve heard it mentioned several places that land destruction is frowned upon in EDH and violates the social contract.

Is Stoneshaker Shaman one of those frowned upon cards? Or is it conditional enough to be OK? I don’t want to start our playgroup off on the wrong foot.

Thanks y’all! :unsmith:

E: I’m also seeing Destructive Flow, about which I have the same confusion.

BRG
At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, that player sacrifices a nonbasic land.

Perhaps these cards are OK because they are symmetrical? Hrm.

Flutch fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 23, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No one has ever complained about Stoneshaker Shaman, ever, and in general the only people who complain about Land Destruction are the people ramping 16 green lands into play with landfall. gently caress em, blow it up.

Mass Land Destruction is frowned upon but only because it gets fired off as a reset button. If you stick a win con and THEN blow up lands, it’s actually fine to win the game.

Also the “social contract” is made up! It’s not real, doesn’t exist!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Flutch posted:

A social contract/rule zero question -

3 friends and I, longtime 1v1 players, are about to start jamming EDH on Tabletop Simulator. We’re gonna start by netdecking decks cheaper than $500 from EDHREC.

I’m a Jund fiend and want to give Yurlock a try. However, I keep seeing this card Stoneshaker Shaman in decklists.

2R
Creature
At the end of each player’s turn, that player sacrifices an untapped land.

So, clearly the idea is to force opponents to mana burn themselves to save their lands.

However, I’ve heard it mentioned several places that land destruction is frowned upon in EDH and violates the social contract.

Is Stoneshaker Shaman one of those frowned upon cards? Or is it conditional enough to be OK? I don’t want to start our playgroup off on the wrong foot.

Thanks y’all! :unsmith:

There hasn't been Mana Burn in over ten years, by the way. Damage doesn't go on the stack either.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Batterypowered7 posted:

There hasn't been Mana Burn in over ten years, by the way. Damage doesn't go on the stack either.

… read what his commander does, lol

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Ahhh okay, thank you! I wasn’t considering mass land destro VS discrete. I’ll just roll with it. 😎

Bust Rodd posted:

Also the “social contract” is made up! It’s not real, doesn’t exist!

Welcome to the desert of the real.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Land destruction is only frowned upon if you just throw it out and then drag the game out from there. Targeted land destruction should be in most decks because gently caress letting someone Dark Depths + Thespian's Stage freely

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you’re gonna proxy a Gaea’s cradle for your “casual” humans tribal deck, I will proxy up a “casual” Wasteland and casually tell you to “get fukt, nerd”

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

… read what his commander does, lol

I misread it as "Yarok" and was wondering what that had to do with Jund, lol.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Flutch posted:

I’m a Jund fiend and want to give Yurlock a try.

My buddy just threw together a Yurlock deck and boy howdy has it been fun to play against.

As for the LD question, my group has no qualms with it but your milage may vary. Targeted land destruction absolutely has a place in even casual builds and mass land destruction isn't completely game breaking, just very grindy if there is no win con on the board.

Talk to your group but honestly you should at least be running Ghost Quarter, etc, to deal with problem lands.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Ghost Quarter and Field of Ruin replace the destroyed land with a basic to not disrupt mana curves. There's a huge difference between that Armageddon or recurring Strip Mine.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have never not seen Strip Mine get played a lot even in the most casual of groups.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Back in my day (2012) Strip Mine was as unambiguously automatic as Sol Ring, you wouldn’t DREAM of not having a way to deal with Cradle or Volrath’s Stronghold

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Talk to your group. It shouldn't be a problem, but commander players are a really weird bunch that can get very upset over random things. I know your group is new to EDH, but there's no telling how fast the brain worms can grow.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

my group doesn’t like land destruction and discard— we don’t care about the concept of winning defined as having everyone reach 0 as much as seeing our Jank Deck Do The Thing™. like even if I could run thoracle in a deck meant for it, “I win” infinites that simple don’t really feel like winning tbh

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Knot My President! posted:

the concept of winning defined as having everyone reach 0

See? Brain worms.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, no, I was being a goober and thinking about milking other people to win, not milling myself to Thoracle.

That's what the Mind Flayarrrs precon is all about, and I'm looking forward to upgrading it to mill more and steal/copy/reanimate more from other people's graveyards, and then blow up graveyards if I feel people gonna try and use their own yard. :unsmigghh:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

That's what the Mind Flayarrrs precon is all about, and I'm looking forward to upgrading it to mill more and steal/copy/reanimate more from other people's graveyards, and then blow up graveyards if I feel people gonna try and use their own yard. :unsmigghh:

Yeah I've been upgrading this deck with what I can and will play it for the first time tonight, I'm fuckin pumped let's goooooooo gently caress youuuuu mill that poo poo and GIVE IT TO ME

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Aranan posted:

See? Brain worms.

we are all busy adults that can get together one day a week, and play / have played competitive formats for tabletop and video games basically our entire lives, if a game with four people is gonna take a while we wanna see everyone do something fun and feel like they weren’t left out

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Commander as Mario Party vs Commander as Mario Kart

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Both of those games are far more vicious and cutthroat than any game of Magic has ever been.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

I have never not seen Strip Mine get played a lot even in the most casual of groups.

I run all the strip mine style cards in all my 1-2 color decks and in some of my 3 color decks with ways to tutor for them. People in my area run some super greedy mana bases and Cradles and other super strong lands are very prevelant.

Having a way to shut those down is critical and you can even politic with stripmine by blowing up a land that is causing the group issues and getting something favorable in turn.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bust Rodd posted:

Mario Party is a game of skill.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

TotalHell posted:

Mario Party is a game of skill.

If that's the case I'm the Luigi

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mario Party is edh except one player always gets a tainted oracle win because bonus stars are bullshit

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

This is the ideal game of EDH

You may not like it, but this is what peak fun looks like.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

What's wrong with Jan Jansen that I'm not seeing other than he's non-blue? Nobody is talking about him at all. It's kinda like a magda shell but access to black tutors and white stax.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Blurry and unfollowable?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Blurry and unfollowable?

Exactly

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

Hand lookin' like a foot

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

What's wrong with Jan Jansen that I'm not seeing other than he's non-blue? Nobody is talking about him at all. It's kinda like a magda shell but access to black tutors and white stax.

He has very different deckbuilding requirements, you can only use him once a turn without extra steps, he isn't as aggressive and threatening to decks that use life as a resource. Probably some other stuff too, I'm not super into the cedh meta.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheLawinator posted:

Well, for starters, he can't tutor out his own wincon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Double+Masters+2022/Smothering+Tithe-borderless#paper

Finally a reprint and new art.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/spoilers/Double+Masters+2022#paper

So many precon reprints and or staples........that should have loving gone into CL2

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 24, 2022