Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Inzombiac posted:

Well dang, that sucks but I'm getting by just fine without it.

Those that said I would miss having a hat because I'm a rabbit, I think you might be right.
Any other races have that type of limitation?

It's also not actually every hat, just most of the early pre-Endwalker ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Also probably a super secret spaghetti reason of removing it completely breaking Scholar somehow.

that's not speghetti thinking enough. removing carbuncle will somehow break interacting with the retainer bell

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Well dang, that sucks but I'm getting by just fine without it.

Those that said I would miss having a hat because I'm a rabbit, I think you might be right.
Any other races have that type of limitation?

You can wear glasses as a rabbit, if that helps. IMO most of the hats in this game are pretty terrible and I never liked them even as femroe or catgirl.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you cant play rdm or brd without a big hat. its not allowed

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Awesome! posted:

you cant play rdm or brd without a big hat. its not allowed

A Red Mage without a panache is a sad sight.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The only hat I regularly wear is the headset and beret combo from PVP vendors.

It's a very good tactician-healer look.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not actually every hat, just every hat that possibly collides with buny ears (and yes that includes most of the EW hats, too)

Headbands, circlets, glasses and (most) "head ornaments" (like tiny crowns, flower corsages, hairpins) are fine. Also full head replacements like frog, pig or bunny (yes!) costume heads. Hoods, hats, helmets, not so much.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Zomborgon posted:

I just unlocked Sage last night and before I did, bought the full Late Allagan healing set (and cleared out glamour dresser slots) just to have that as my glam.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

hazardousmouse posted:

that's not speghetti thinking enough. removing carbuncle will somehow break interacting with the retainer bell

Removing carbuncle will make all house owners move one house to their left.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
generally but not 100% speaking, if it covers the ears or the ears would have to go through it, it won't work. There's still a ton of tiaras and so forth that'll work just fine in your head slot, as will glasses

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Just fold your ears down, bunnies.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also as a note: you get one free Fantasia (a potion that gives you a full race/gender change that are normally on the store for :10bux: ) when you complete the 2.0 level 50 main story finale quest!

so if you don't want to be a bnuuy anymore by the time you get there you will have a free re-do waiting for you. or you can save it!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Leraika posted:

generally but not 100% speaking, if it covers the ears or the ears would have to go through it, it won't work. There's still a ton of tiaras and so forth that'll work just fine in your head slot, as will glasses

Not being able to wear the baseball cap is a deal breaker for me being able to play a bunner girl. Catgirl for life

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I went back and forth but couldn't handle not having hat options. It sucks that it's a thing.

I'm not even using hats in my current class' glamours, but the thought of potentially having to be a black mage or red mage without a giant has is just not okay.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What are the best giant bard hats? Amon's hat is probably the first really good one. I've heard that Mt. Gulg has a pretty good one.

My bard glam is Amon's hat, a replica sky pirate coat (dyed metallic red), and pants, boots and gloves dyed metallic yellow (to match the hat). Bards must be seen!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

It's there because removing it entirely would have made too many people mad.

As opposed to KAITEN and RUINING THE TWIRLY SWORD CLASS FANTASY. I'm still mad about this. Why would you remove this ridiculous thing from my rotation?

hazardousmouse posted:

Don't mind me, just having flashbacks about internet spaceship billboards. :ccp:

Zomborgon posted:

I've been enjoying the look as a SGE since it feels like having tactical laser drones. I really want to see more magitek-style nouliths. Also I think I captioned my glamour photo "What is this? Valorant?"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did Dragoon ever get their pole dancing move back?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did Dragoon ever get their pole dancing move back?

no. and to make matters worse one of the bosses in endwalker uses the same attack, just to rub our faces in it

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Au Ra pretty much exclusively wears flowers in her hair because I don’t like most hats so tbh you are missing out.

If you’re playing on PC and are willing to tangle with mods (which are technically against TOS but appearance mods don’t mess with anything severside) there is a very nice hats for Hrothgar and Viera mod that is slowly adding… hats for Hrothgar and Viera with custom models.

Also you can add bunny rabbit tails to Viera with mods, which they deserve.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The new animation upgrade for the third attack in their combo (the one that isn’t a DOT) does a bit of pole dancing

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A Moose posted:

What are the best giant bard hats? Amon's hat is probably the first really good one. I've heard that Mt. Gulg has a pretty good one.

My bard glam is Amon's hat, a replica sky pirate coat (dyed metallic red), and pants, boots and gloves dyed metallic yellow (to match the hat). Bards must be seen!

I'm a fan of tricornes. Partially because they split around elf ears.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

The new animation upgrade for the third attack in their combo (the one that isn’t a DOT) does a bit of pole dancing

You can’t spam it in Limsa so it is garbage tho

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

I use this one on my tech-healer WHM. Solid hat imo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vargs posted:

I use this one on my tech-healer WHM. Solid hat imo.

Cyberpunk pokemon protag base design.

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

All this talk of spaghetti code...

Y'all think they'll make FFXVII the next FF MMO? I always wished they'd make a new one without all the wonkiness and developed-in-the-mid-2000s backend choices. If they did, I hope they allow us to carry characters over/or some other link with XIV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Factum est posted:

All this talk of spaghetti code...

Y'all think they'll make FFXVII the next FF MMO? I always wished they'd make a new one without all the wonkiness and developed-in-the-mid-2000s backend choices. If they did, I hope they allow us to carry characters over/or some other link with XIV.

I doubt it TBH. FFXIV is doing well and I am sure FFXIV 1.0 has them really gunshy about another MMO that quickly when they can just keep milking the golden goose.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Wonky backend is the core of the MMO genre anyway

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Look if each and every patch doesn't fundamentally break a class/job, can you really call it an MMO?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah read the patch notes and down around the bottom area is a list of things they weren't able to fix yet, it's usually an entertaining read.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Bruceski posted:

I'm a fan of tricornes. Partially because they split around elf ears.

The Orthodox Tricornes are solid hat slot picks. :hfive: The Aiming one in particular stayed in my DNC glams the whole way up to 90, and I'll probably switch back to it once I get tired of the Moonward set's look.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Starting work on a new MMO right now sounds like a horrible idea with Riot just ahead of you to scoop any new-gen MMO audience while you're in late stages of development.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah, while I'm definitely someone who complains "Boy I wish we could just scrap our software and start from scratch because 15 years of bad decisions pile up in a hell of a way," if your software works and is pretty much the most popular MMO in the world right now, that's a strong incentive to keep the existing goose alive and happy.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Starting work on a new MMO right now sounds like a horrible idea with Riot just ahead of you to scoop any new-gen MMO audience while you're in late stages of development.

I completely forgot this was a thing. While I hate League with a burning passion, Arcane gave me enough of an interest in the setting that I might give whatever Riot's cooking up a look when it's out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Twin's mom may be the best character in the game. I just want an entire plotline where she follows us along and tells us embarrassing stories about her family.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I doubt it TBH. FFXIV is doing well and I am sure FFXIV 1.0 has them really gunshy about another MMO that quickly when they can just keep milking the golden goose.

Yeah, there's no reason to try and come out with something new when FFXIV still easily has a good 6-9 years of active life left in the tank if they manage it well. I've said it a few times, but I could see them setting some money and development time aside to redo some of the guts of the FFXIV engine for better networking to ensure that the game has room to expand, since it feels like they're really nearing their limit for how much they can expand systems and character complexity with the current bandwidth limitations they have in.

Corbeau posted:

They've made it patently clear that it's gonna be a stock-standard theme park MMO, too, so it'll gobble up whatever spare market share is there by the time it launches.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So it's going to be a paint by numbers MMO with Riot IP? That doesn't sound so bad but I won't play it as I'm too wedded to the FFXIV infrastructure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

So it's going to be a paint by numbers MMO with Riot IP? That doesn't sound so bad but I won't play it as I'm too wedded to the FFXIV infrastructure.

More or less, yeah. They've been coy with the details, but a lot of what they've mentioned (like a focus on coherent, single-minded kits) makes it sound like it's shifting more in FFXIV's general design direction compared to the previous pivot to WoW that most other MMOs did, so there still might be something to check out. I think the FFXIV team's made a pretty compelling design argument for having extremely tightly-designed classes that help to avoid the usual balancing nightmares that WoW's multiple talent trees introduced, and they've made it equally clear that having a compelling storyline in an MMO is a significant draw for a lot of people, so I suspect the League MMO's gonna take both those lessons to heart.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ImpAtom posted:

The Twin's mom may be the best character in the game. I just want an entire plotline where she follows us along and tells us embarrassing stories about her family.

I loved it. Just nonstop family tea.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Good MMOs are a myth and making one is a death sentence. XIV is successful because it was a last ditch effort to save a dieing company with a miracle dream team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They are going to keep Yoshida tied to his desk for as long as physically possible aren't they.