Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Progressive GW is great. You get to watch a whole spectrum of sexualities, ethnicities, and genders get ripped apart by Orks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

turns out everyone being asleep for millions of years is an ideal time to transition.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

Or even certain loyalist marine chapters like the Bloody Magpies that aren't always doctrinare. I'm now thinking of a 40k knockoff of Monstrous Regiment.

Sounds like Rogue Traders.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
*hits obscura* The restriction on women becoming Space Marines is partly a plot by the Adepta Sororitas to maintain their relevance in the Imperium stretching back to the Adepta's founding in the Age of Apostasy. The Emperor never considered women in the Marines because He thought of them as His sons, and successive leaders generally followed this misogynistic tradition, but experiments carried on in secret by apothecaries and unscrupulous Magi Biologus suggested that, with extensive tweaking, you could have female Space Marines, though without His vat-to-battlefield knowledge of the process and the secretive/heretical nature of these experiments the idea never advanced beyond theoretical musings. The greatest of these projects was sponsored by Goge Vandire, who sought to create his own all-female Space Marine chapter answering to him only, drawing from his existing work with the Brides of the Emperor with the goal of eventually supplanting them, a sort of proto-Primaris project to ensure his control over the Imperium. This project actually managed to produce female Space Marines, though it was costly and needed a lot of refinement to be viable, but still it proved that such a thing was possible. Alicia Dominica later discovered this and, horrified by the prospect of her order being replaced and with the Vandirist regime already collapsing, destroyed the labs hidden deep inside Terra, turned on her benefactor and helped install Sebastian Thor into power. In exchange Thor and his new government would ensure that the newly-formed Sisters of Battle would always have a place within the Imperial war machine with its 'no men under arms' loophole. Since then the Imperium has made it an unwritten policy that if any Space Marine chapter tries to extend its recruitment pool it would be fiercely rebuked by the Ordo Hereticus and its militant arm that now benefits from the SM's strict all-male tradition.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
we have no way of knowing which of the approximately seven thousand "heretical but not that heretical and also they don't slow down enough for the inquisition to catch up" chapters recruit entirely from women and just keep it secret from the rest of the Imperium but it's probably all of them.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Mors Rattus posted:

Ghazghkull Thraka: Prophet of the Waaagh!, the non-binary ork is his buddy narrating it to the Inquisition.

It's even better than that, the ork translator implies that all Orks are nonbinary and that the few that understand the concept of human gender find it funny. The conversation starts when the translator keeps referring to Ghazghkull as "they" and one of the humans demands they start calling Ghaz "he". The translator basically rolls their eyes and keeps narrating. Really fun book.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mors Rattus posted:

Ghazghkull Thraka: Prophet of the Waaagh!, the non-binary ork is his buddy narrating it to the Inquisition.

I'll admit to being curious. What does it mean for an asexual fungal being to be non-binary? I'm assuming it must be something like "non-binary from a human perspective", but I'm just guessing. If the answer is actually that someone sat down and thought out how the ork fluff interacts with gender roles from an anthropology standpoint, I might have to break my rule about not buying Black Library products.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Nonbinary might be the wrong word, agender probably fits better. The Ghazghkull book is pretty fun and does some cool stuff with the Orks. It also has an Ogryn character who is just as smart as mainline humans which causes the lead human character to question if everything the Imperium ever told her is wrong. It's pretty good.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

DressCodeBlue posted:

Like four months ago lmao. I will never understand why people give a poo poo about D&D ~influencers~.

Edit: Beaten because I had to share that cursed image.

Zak 2.0?? Sorry, but I am still catching up to all of this. First as tragedy, then as farce...

Dexo posted:

loving lmao, content creation is a sickness.

Although, I guess tbf, If I could have gotten some sponsors to pay for my wedding then I probably would have done it.

https://twitter.com/thuperdupe/status/1536990066412765185?t=SHP8ZUYk94rtEJBJZRZrqw&s=19

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

For those who haven't looked, it's as bad as it sounds.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 21, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'll admit to being curious. What does it mean for an asexual fungal being to be non-binary? I'm assuming it must be something like "non-binary from a human perspective", but I'm just guessing. If the answer is actually that someone sat down and thought out how the ork fluff interacts with gender roles from an anthropology standpoint, I might have to break my rule about not buying Black Library products.

i imagine a non-binary ork is just, like, a medium-sized one

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Maybe they're outside of the Gork / Mork worship?

Alderman
May 31, 2021
ACBAB (assigned cunningly brutal at birth)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

adhuin posted:

That's the only binary I know of.

Alderman posted:

ACBAB (assigned cunningly brutal at birth)

Or this. A non- binary ork is neither brutally cunning nor cunningly brutal

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Xelkelvos posted:

That's the only binary I know of.

Or this. A non- binary ork is neither brutally cunning nor cunningly brutal

They could be both.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bunningly crutal.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Wasn't there some story about a group of orks getting their asses handed to them by Sisters so bad that they decided "warbosses suck actually, time of girlbosses is now"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know I've been thinking. I know they're probably not going to do it, but they could 100% have female Space Marines in the Horus Heresy times, given there's canonically been cases where both sides did some experimental rush-jobs to make up the numbers of Legionaries during the fighting. You could even say it's one of things that got covered up post-heresy because dammit, Big E said the Astartes were no boys allowed (with post-heresy survivors probably just eventually perishing to attrition between 40k & 30k without further recruitment and being recorded as male in Chapter records).

Depending on what the scale is like for the female Votann heads, I think I'm going to sneak some into my 30k army and see if anyone notices.

adhuin posted:

Maybe they take a page from the AOS Orruks and worship Gorkamorka.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Went looking for an ADB quite about daemon princes and saw this bit and just went hmmm

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regarding that :biotruths: quote in the Heresy rulebooks, there's this open letter that people might be interested in signing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hadn’t GW also walked back/mostly erased the “orks are fungus” concept? I remember hearing that somewhere and it’s sucks because that is one of the actual cool concepts in all the lore they ever made.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bottom Liner posted:

Hadn’t GW also walked back/mostly erased the “orks are fungus” concept? I remember hearing that somewhere and it’s sucks because that is one of the actual cool concepts in all the lore they ever made.

No. In fact, it’s been embraced super hard, at least in AoS lore.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
They're embracing Orks-as-fungus in 40k, too. In the Ghazghkull book (which I am bringing up once again because it's good) the Ork psychic gestalt is described as a fungus and fungal growth is a motif in Ghaz's visions.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the orks are basically a fungus version of the tyranids who just dont, on a personal level, realise they're in a hive mind

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the orks are basically a fungus version of the tyranids who just dont, on a personal level, realise they're in a hive mind

Not a hive mind. A singular mind.

That singular mind is "Fighting and Winning".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cassius Belli posted:

They could be both.

That'd make them Bi (The B stands for Brutally Cunning and BCunningly Brutal)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More of a more flexible and scalable psychic gestalt than the Tyranids have.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So are Phoenix and Stone still on the list to do their celebrity GM shtick for GenCon?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Random Integer posted:

People always bring up the lack of women in 40k but even as a kid what stood out to me was how overwhelmingly white it is. Every piece of GW artwork is a bunch of white people murdering the other. The only time you get non-white people is when you have Ethnic Stereotype people from Ethnic Stereotype planet. There's not even a lore excuse for it, Marines are supposed to be able to change skin colour at will but they are conspicuously pretty much always depicted as the whitest motherfuckers imaginable.

They've gotten better about having non-white skin-tones in art and the display models but yeah its still pretty much honkytown a lot of the time

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 22, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Der Waffle Mous posted:

turns out everyone being asleep for millions of years is an ideal time to transition.

Hell yeah hell yeah hell yeah hell yeah

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

They've gotten better about having non-white skin-tones in art and the display models but yeah its still pretty much honkytown a lot of the time

I’m still surprised at how little pushback I’ve seen to Bastian Carthalos existing, which is nice.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DeathSandwich posted:

Not a hive mind. A singular mind.

That singular mind is "Fighting and Winning".

The Orks are basically “what if Tomie Kawakami was was a rowdy fightboy instead of a japanese mean girl”

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Mors Rattus posted:

I’m still surprised at how little pushback I’ve seen to Bastian Carthalos existing, which is nice.

It is in Sigmar so grogs do not care about its wokeness as they already hate it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Improbable Lobster posted:

They've gotten better about having non-whites in aet and the display models but yeah its still pretty much honkytown a lot of the time

It looked to me like Vulkan was back to having more Black features in the core book, but I'm no authority on this.

(Not that Black people legion is a great look, but portraying one of the setting's few heroes as a PoC is a win imo. If that's what's happening.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

It looked to me like Vulkan was back to having more Black features in the core book, but I'm no authority on this.

(Not that Black people legion is a great look, but portraying one of the setting's few heroes as a PoC is a win imo. If that's what's happening.)

And boy if you don't get the occasional "Well they're not Black they're just black-skinned."

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Dawgstar posted:

And boy if you don't get the occasional "Well they're not Black they're just black-skinned."

“Hey we have a chapter full of (relatively, and that word’s pulling some weight) noble and personable Space Marines that mostly recruit from a planet where the population is mostly dark-skinned, should we take this lay-up o-“

“ACTUALLY THAT’S A MUTATION. THEIR SKIN IS ONYX LIKE COAL, AND THEIR EYES GLOW”

Amazing how hard GW’s gone in the lore to piss themselves at times.

Circutron fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 22, 2022

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

So are Phoenix and Stone still on the list to do their celebrity GM shtick for GenCon?

Satine still has a number of events that are quite pricy and not at all sold out.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm assuming that because they aren't actually charged with crimes or anything conventions are inclined to just do the minimum to comply with existing contracts rather than risk getting sued for breach of contract.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can't blame them for not wanting a segregated This Is Where All The Black Characters Are chapter, but instead retconning them into literal coal black mutations seemed like a swing and a miss of rectifying it as opposed to, y'know. Adding black characters to other chapters.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Speaking of GW, I wonder if anyone has seen the recent drama related to Miniac. I bring it up here because I think it reflects broader issues with GW and its content creators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ovp-KjK24&t=866s

For those who don't know, Miniac is one of the most popular miniature painting and modelling creators around who naturally does a lot of GW-related stuff. I'm not a huge fan of his schtick (which, as the preview image suggests, can be very YouTube) but he's an excellent painter and produces a lot of informative videos evaluating different techniques and products.

In short, he was invited along with a bunch of other content creators to come to Warhammer World to attend Warhammer Fest and contribute to an event launching the new Horus Heresy line. A condition of the invite was sending finished models to GW ahead of time. Some people only had to do one large centrepiece model, while others had to do that plus an entire starter army; he was assigned the latter, but because of real life obligations didn't have time to complete the army, and so paid someone $1000 to do it for him in time. The first part of the video is him rushing to finish the centrepiece in time to ship it from the US to the UK for the event.

Skip ahead to Warhammer Fest, Miniac and other content creators were told not to post any new models being previewed ahead of an embargo. He posted some previewed models to his IG, thinking that they had already been shown at a previous event (and to be fair the models did look very similar to those in an earlier preview); he was then informed by GW that he'd broken the embargo and took the posts down immediately, but GW kicked him out of the event, excluded his models from the showcase, asked him to physically leave the property, and terminated their contract with him.

Obviously being a content creator is a privilege, but GW's response seems to be way out of proportion with Miniac's infraction. It's also unusual to hear a content creator talk so frankly about the costs and stresses of trying to produce enough to keep up with the demands of sponsorship, including paying someone a grand to paint an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I've seen it some time ago and already forgot about it and this guy. But anyway there was an nda, guy broke it and got slapped for it. If I broke my ndas my anus would be in 1000 years of pain so ech capitalism

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 23, 2022