Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Is Dustin meant to be a millennial? He's 23 right? Wouldn’t that make him a zoomer by now?

Dustin's a Zoomer and Ed's Gen X lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Grandpa Joe :allears:

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Success!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Oof

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (July 7-9, 1919; timg'd out of an abundance of caution)

This is surprising, I can't remember the last Eppie gag that wasn't her falling on top of something.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

"Um, who's that?" :lol:

The fact that the bar owner from Uramachi Sakaba was a bit more vulnerable made her more interesting, Haraiso Days' bar owner always seems in complete control, which makes the drama less exciting. Plus it's just hard to beat the will-they-won't-they with the antiques dealer :3:

It doesn't matter, I still really enjoy the comic.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 16, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

He has gotten some mild ribbing from other Norwegian comic artists about the art. He has also said he's completely self thaught and that he knows that he can't drawn things like hands properly.

As for the grotesque art. When he began the strip it was simply not done in Norwegian comic strips to make people look ugly, especially not women. So it kinda became part of the popularity of the strip.

I didn't really intend to refer to technical issues with the art with my post (I didn't even notice the hands, tbh); the art is admittedly very lively which is in some ways much nicer than e.g. Tinkersons or several other strips that go for extremely static design. It's nice to see comics where the characters can have very distinct body types and features, although in this case that comes at the price of the general unpleasantness of the visuals, haha.

Thanks for the extra info on the visual choices! Makes sense that it'd be seen as interestingly subversive at the time, although shame that the "people look gross" thing is so often also the punchline.

(EDIT: Also "completely self-taught" seems like an odd qualifier - I would imagine that most newspaper strips are made by people who don't have formal training in art?)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 16, 2000)

What the hell, Arlo :mad:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Arlo and Janis always features the most sincere and realistic depiction of a person's idle thoughts and daydreams. :allears:

And I like Haraiso Days a lot too for what it's worth, though I agree with pretty much all the things pointed out. A bit too much hyper-competency from characters, etc. I will note that a big positive is that Haraiso has some designs that really knock it out of the park, the barbarian-witch unit leader here and the giant cyborg frankenstein yakuza as well as the two flunky yakuza designs are great and that's just this one story. Maybe Haraiso is taking what Uramachi Sakaba started and finalizing it, though there'll always be just a little bit of disappointment that Uramachi had to wrap up to do it.

BTW the bar owner and artifact guy totally got married, don't @ me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, I think this one deserves a higher res version - click through for original size.

Vater & Sohn: The greatest adventure

I hope you enjoyed this classic of German comics history. I don't think that's too much to say - just yesterday I browsed my local bookstore and spotted two more new collected editions. At any rate, thanks for reading along!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

davidspackage posted:

What the hell, Arlo :mad:

No, no - I can understand that kind of idle thought.

Also, as one translator to another, thanks for the non-English comics, My Lovely Horse.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, I think this one deserves a higher res version - click through for original size.

I hope you enjoyed this classic of German comics history. I don't think that's too much to say - just yesterday I browsed my local bookstore and spotted two more new collected editions. At any rate, thanks for reading along!

Such a good, timeless comic, and often very sweet. I loved it!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Which reminds me of an old The Parking Lot is Full:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Outbursts of Everett True June 21, 1999

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Thank you for posting this, it was delightful.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 25, 1951)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Huh. That's an ... interesting shape for the star.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/22/02

Brenda Starr 12/27-29/48

Smokey Stover 8/29/48

Everyday Movies 4/18/35

"... sure he's drunk. So I says to him, 'Yeah, this is the Ritz all right, but we haven't any Harlem floor show on tonight, Sir' -- you gotta be polite."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hempuli posted:

(EDIT: Also "completely self-taught" seems like an odd qualifier - I would imagine that most newspaper strips are made by people who don't have formal training in art?)
You'd be surprised. Sweden even got a school for comic strip artists where Lina Neidestam (who made Zelda) went. Lise Myhre (who makes Nemi) also have a formal training in art.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Selachian posted:

Oh dang, good catch.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

My Lovely Horse posted:

Thanks for posting this and for the context of its creation.

Edit: Yo, really good catch on that star shape.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 23, 2022

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

What an oddly touching ending. Thanks a lot for posting this! And also for providing context for the comic, it was tragic but very interesting.

Alhazred posted:

You'd be surprised. Sweden even got a school for comic strip artists where Lina Neidestam (who made Zelda) went. Lise Myhre (who makes Nemi) also have a formal training in art.

Oh well, I guess I should've known. Although I'd say that Zelda & Nemi both also look more technically competent; there are a lot of comic strips where the visuals are so crude/minimalistic that I'd definitely imagine that the artist has mostly learned drawing by doodling on their own. Mind you, not saying that that's a bad thing, it's cool that art & craft can be just kinda learned even if guided training can make the process faster and the results sometimes more nuanced/solid.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really enjoyed V&S, it was always charming. Thanks for finding and posting it!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A bittersweet ending, especially considering the real-world backstory. Thanks very much.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 13, 1934)

Peanuts (June 26, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean "Okay, That's the Premise, Where The Hell's Your Punchline?" Dinner Theater

poo poo, I'm feeling generous today...

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 23, 1939)

Out Our Way (February 27-March 1, 1939; timg'd for the usual reasons.)

And one to grow on.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (February 27-March 1, 1939; timg'd for the usual reasons.)

I think this is the same writer guy that was introduced way back at the start of the cowboy strips? It took me until now to realize it. He's been absent a while.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I was going to hang a lampshade on that earlier, but yeah, that's our old buddy Wes. Looks like he had an interesting Christmas.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "294 - Jucika And The Discreet Waiter"

"Vígszínház = Comedy Theatre Of Budapest
Záróra = Closing Time
Nemzeti Színház = National Theatre
Holnap Folytatjuk = We'll pick it up tomorrow"

"295 - Jucika And Santa"

"Télapó is actually Ded Moroz-a figure similar to Father Christmas/Santa Claus"

"Ded Moroz is a legendary figure similar to Saint Nicholas, Father Christmas and Santa Claus who has his roots in Slavic mythology. The tradition of Ded Moroz is mostly spread in East Slavic countries and is an important part of Russian culture. Although at the beginning of the Soviet era communist authorities banned Ded Moroz he soon became an important part of the Soviet culture. The literal translation is "Grandpa Frost".

Ded Moroz is depicted as bringing presents to well-mannered children, often delivering them in person in December days and secretly under the Christmas tree on night at 31 December on New Year's Eve. In East Slavic cultures, Ded Moroz is accompanied by Snegurochka, his granddaughter and helper."

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise #8: The Vikings

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SjwO17gsqU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aww that's sweet. I liked those two.

Selachian posted:

Didn't notice that.

F Minus

Mark Trail

If he gets rescued by a sasquatch...actually I think I would be OK with that.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I could absolutely not to any better, I just want to be clear about that up front, but

LOL that phantom

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lunch

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Alhazred posted:

Hempuli posted:

Oh well, I guess I should've known. Although I'd say that Zelda & Nemi both also look more technically competent; there are a lot of comic strips where the visuals are so crude/minimalistic that I'd definitely imagine that the artist has mostly learned drawing by doodling on their own. Mind you, not saying that that's a bad thing, it's cool that art & craft can be just kinda learned even if guided training can make the process faster and the results sometimes more nuanced/solid.

There's one in the US, too, Joe Kubert School. A lot of notable comics people came from there

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

1. This sucks. Please don't romanticize trying to get an abuse victim on a rebound.
2. The Star Wars figures on the windowsill look like they're across the street waiting for the bus.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Green Intern posted:

1. This sucks. Please don't romanticize trying to get an abuse victim on a rebound.
2. The Star Wars figures on the windowsill look like they're across the street waiting for the bus.

They really do it weirded me out for a moment

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

It never occurred to me to read it any other way. I 100% thought like, abuse victim girl was coming back dressed in costume (with friends??) for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

If he gets rescued by a sasquatch...actually I think I would be OK with that.

Can the sasquatch teach Jules basic perspective

lmfao

look at the size of that halfpipe in panel 1. note the adult humans running by it at half its size, now look at panel 3. look at it. is Rusty 12 feet tall, is this teenager being absolutely loving pulped by a giant sheet of plywood or sheet metal, look at his hands, look at that, look at his face literally shrink in panel 3 I guess that is a hell of an impact, look, look, look!!! what the hell! oh and of course Rusty literally teleported to be in that position between those panels, hahahahahaha!

This is it. This is why I read Mark Trail. This is some god drat Dominic Deegan level poo poo. And why is the forest on fire? Did Cricket Bro crash his one car that produces a still mostly self-contained fire into the most popular tree in the woods, prompting the entire forest to erupt in flames out of.. anger? Maybe that's why this halfpipe just collapsed for no reason with nothing affecting it nearby. OK wait, wait, I can explain this one. Uhh, Cricket Bro violated more OSHA to save money on cheap halfpipes. No, wait.. I can do you one better. The convection caused by the fires damaged the halfpipe! maybe convection warped the metal and caused the halfpipe to lose all shape and definition as it arcs upwards in the third panel

What is this "I've never had a deadline in my life oh my god scribble something and put it out the door now now now" shlock, have there ever been other newspaper comics that've broken down in real time? Usually they get health problems or die but even Thimble Theater kept going and you might not notice unless you read the author names changing.

Cripes we just had the "well at least the new authors aren't creeps like the old authors" discussion but god drat what horrible company to keep and beat by default, to carry on the proud Mark Trail tradition of giving up on the art. And I think the Diabete Yetis arc was probably better drawn than this!

Even the colorist doesn't care. Even the crash sound effect is sad and defeated. I know newspaper comics have no standards but take this strip back behind the shed and put it out of its misery.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 23, 2022