Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

boofhead posted:

The confusion over the fatality metric seems to come from using two different ways to measure it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-thousander

It's much safer if you ignore all the sherpas who will die hauling your rear end up the mountain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Happy birthday honey! I know you play a lot of first person shooters so I signed you up for a tour as a mercenary in the Congo

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think this is a UK vs US (I have no idea what other countries do) thing. In the US, wedding cakes are usually iced with some kind of buttercream-like frosting, and no marzipan is involved. Furthermore, American wedding cake isn't a fruit cake; it's a standard egg-raised sponge cake in a variety of flavors.

Mine was chocolate, ordered from the local convenience store whose owner's wife did a sideline in cakes. Grandmother: "You can't have a chocolate wedding cake!" I did. White icing, so it looked traditional from the outside.

Yeah, UK wedding cake is traditionally a fruitcake dense enough to knock chunks off concrete, with marzipan covering that and a thin layer of hard icing over that for the decorations. It's foul. I'm surprised to hear the USA has cake cakes; I'd always heard :byodame: it has to be that solid to support the tiers! :byodame: but then again I always thought that sounded like bollocks anyway.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

I'd always heard :byodame: it has to be that solid to support the tiers! :byodame: but then again I always thought that sounded like bollocks anyway.

We use wooden scaffolding to hold up the structure.

The real hell ingredient for US wedding cakes is fondant, which is slightly prettier and slightly less edible than play-doh.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for being uncomfortable with my girlfriend sleeping with her dead best friends hoodie?

quote:

Ive been dating this girl for a few months and she has suffered a lot of loss and keeps mementos of those people. Random knick knacks in her room or pieces of clothing hung up, etc. However, one specific one is a hoodie with a stuffed animal inside of it and she keeps it on her bed, with her while she sleeps. Its her old friends who passed away. The first and only time I asked about their friendship, she was super super vague about it and ended up changing the topic and just telling me about some random story they had, which made me think there was more to this friendship.

Ive known about it, and I havent said anything about it, but it makes me feel SO. WEIRD. I wake up sometimes laying on another dudes hoodie. I know thats an oversimplification and probably a selfish one but this feeling has persisted for several months now and its getting to the point where being on her bed by myself w it makes my stomach turn lol. Im also an oversensitive turbo pussy, so maybe thats it.

But i guess its also maybe important to note her multiple instances of cheating early on, which has made me super insecure about it, and everything really. I feel like an rear end in a top hat for feeling weird about it but at some point the feeling just gets too strong to ignore. Be as honest as possible, whoever is reading this, i need an outside pov EDIT: i shouldve said this clear before, sorry. we talked about it very briefly a while ago and she got really upset and said she doesnt sleep with it it just sits there, and i dont know if shes telling the truth, she has lied to me before to save face.

EDIT 2: she could tell something was up. she asked what was wrong, i brought up the sweatshirt, and it went horribly. she told me i didnt understand, that i only look at things from my point of view, and that she keeps it there because she wants it on display so she can see it (once she got done screaming and crying) she told me its been that way for years, shes sorry it makes me feel weird but shes not changing it. a week and a half ago, my childhood dog (babygirl) got put down very suddenly. one of those dogs where theyre not a pet anymore, theyre a full part of the family, and to me, like a sibling. she brought up babygirl and said "if you kept something of hers, i wouldnt care, i would understand" and i almost lost it.
(added paragraph breaks)

Yes, the sweatshirt is the most significant problem in this relationship.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, UK wedding cake is traditionally a fruitcake dense enough to knock chunks off concrete, with marzipan covering that and a thin layer of hard icing over that for the decorations. It's foul. I'm surprised to hear the USA has cake cakes; I'd always heard :byodame: it has to be that solid to support the tiers! :byodame: but then again I always thought that sounded like bollocks anyway.

The fancier US cakes have rigid non-edible supports inside them. Sometimes you get a fun gif of someone trying a hilarious wedding prank and encountering that instead of soft, yielding cake

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Danaru posted:

I genuinely can't tell if this is an ad
it did get me to check, Prime's going up to (is already?) $140/year, gently caress that's a lot

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

haveblue posted:

The fancier US cakes have rigid non-edible supports inside them. Sometimes you get a fun gif of someone trying a hilarious wedding prank and encountering that instead of soft, yielding cake

Or getting toothpicks in the eyes because they're used to hold poo poo together.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't Toothpick Eyes in the Great Piggy Bank Robbery?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

boofhead posted:

The confusion over the fatality metric seems to come from using two different ways to measure it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-thousander

quote:

The drawback of the first metric is that it includes the deaths of any support climbers or climbing sherpas that went above base camp in assisting the climb; therefore, rather than being the probability that a climber will die attempting to summit an eight-thousander, it is more akin to the total human cost in getting a climber to the summit.

“How deadly is this mountain?”

“Well, it depends on what metric you want to use. Some metrics count the poors as people.”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for throwing away my gf's old shorts?
So I think this is punishment enough
Nah

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Never had anyone OD in the actual store when I worked at McDonalds. Did have two people OD in a van in the parking lot. Which we didn't notice for about a week or so. In the summer.

The smell that took over the parking lot when the cops opened the van up is forever burned into my memory.

An RV 50 feet from my apartment caught fire two days ago, and I'm really glad the people living out of it got out. Until I confirmed that I was flinching at every smell assuming the worst.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blue Moonlight posted:

“Well, it depends on what metric you want to use. Some metrics count the poors as people.”

Interestingly, "do they have to explain whether the metric counts poors" is a metric of its own.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it did get me to check, Prime's going up to (is already?) $140/year, gently caress that's a lot

If you think that's a lot you're going to be really surprised at how much an "all the sports" cable TV package costs (hint: more than that amount per month)

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for throwing away my gf's old shorts?

lol owned
I find it extremely weird that she's wearing her grandpa's old shorts, but lol at throwing them out and being surprised at the outcome.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

The Bramble posted:

My (27M) partner (26NB) will not watch tv or movies unless there is a queer character in the main cast and it’s meaning I don’t get to pick what we watch together anymore

Get a TV with picture in the picture and just have some hot steamy stuff going on down in the corner bing bong so simple.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blue Moonlight posted:

Yeah that stood out to me too. I remember when there was a bit of a kerfuffle a while back because the mountaineering world records got updated to include sherpas and suddenly all the rich white people dropped multiple ranks in everything. There were a lot of people trying to articulate why they were angry without saying the quiet parts out loud.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Blue Moonlight posted:

It is weird that that's the focus of the article, when the real problem is not counting all the people who bail rather than die. The correct way to measure would be total attempted climbs, including assistants, vs deaths of any of those people. But I guess that would be too sensible.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Bruceski posted:

An RV 50 feet from my apartment caught fire two days ago, and I'm really glad the people living out of it got out. Until I confirmed that I was flinching at every smell assuming the worst.
"mmm! that smells deli-WAIT!!!"

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It is weird that that's the focus of the article, when the real problem is not counting all the people who bail rather than die. The correct way to measure would be total attempted climbs, including assistants, vs deaths of any of those people. But I guess that would be too sensible.

That was the metric I seen used. Everest is an interesting one because it attracts the amateurs that push too hard at summitting rather than turning around (and also bottlenecks getting back out of the zone) and so shoots back up the deadliness stats because of that.

Reminds me, there used to be a yearly "guess the deathcount on Everest this year" thread on SA for years. Probably has gone the way of the dodo as SA users got old.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Reminds me, there used to be a yearly "guess the deathcount on Everest this year" thread on SA for years. Probably has gone the way of the dodo as SA users got old.

it got super gross

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Electric Wrigglies posted:

That was the metric I seen used. Everest is an interesting one because it attracts the amateurs that push too hard at summitting rather than turning around (and also bottlenecks getting back out of the zone) and so shoots back up the deadliness stats because of that.

The last one I saw was in 2019, I'm guessing summitting activity dropped off quite a bit for the next season because of reasons.

e: Maybe that was just an occasionally morbid thread rather than a deathcount one, now that I think about it

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
There's still an Everest thread in GBS:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933688

It's not really a deathcount thread AFAIK more general Everest news and chat, with some forays into other dangerous pursuits

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Stab posted:

You mean 3, right? 3 people won't be attending. Or are you also mad at the boyfriend for dying?

The one person who wants their family to bring a Tinder date to the wedding.

Phuzzy posted:

All of the wedding cakes I've encountered have been buttercream monstrosities without marzipan

I always went for the groom's cake, which was generally chocolate. I don't know if that's a common thing, but it was for the weddings I went to.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Dear Prudence with another winning answer:

quote:

Q. How Can I Let This Go: Like many, I have decided to spend some time working on my mental health. During my sessions, I have figured out that some of my personality issues (think trying to please everyone all the time) tie back to a lengthy period in school when I was the victim of some serious bullying. I am older now, in my 40s, but as a kid, schools didn’t take this as seriously as they do now. My family ultimately moved away and I was able to escape my bully. After a recent therapy session, I decided to look up my bully—maybe out of morbid curiosity. What I discovered was that she was a teacher, and it appears a good one. She’s been nominated more than once for teacher of the year honors in her state. She strives to create an environment where all children can succeed. I think this is a great thing, but it chaps me a little—she absolutely terrorized me. Part of me wants to reach out and let her know how much her terror has followed me, but the adult in me says let it go, she’s clearly a good person now.

A: I think you should reach out to her and let her know how her behavior affected you. Don’t do this because she won an award and you’re trying to take her down a peg; do it because she caused harm and it’s something that’s come up for you and you don’t want it to keep eating you up. She may take the opportunity being offered and attempt to make amends. This would be the best result for both of you. You get a resolution and an apology; she rights a wrong that she committed. But even if she doesn’t apologize, I think getting this off of your chest will help you to let it go.

How can I let this go? Don't. Reach out to her and let her know she bullied you. (Like she didn't know that?) and re-open old wounds again.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Midnight Voyager posted:

I always went for the groom's cake, which was generally chocolate. I don't know if that's a common thing, but it was for the weddings I went to.

The wedding creeps ever further forward on all fronts. Another cake has manifested. It leers from atop a perch, a matrimonial Elf on the Shelf.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for asking my brother "Doesn't everyone have Amazon prime?"

The number of people who simply can't comprehend how someone can live without Amazon is pretty hosed up. (no need to respond with how you were born without arms or legs or an anus and literally can't live without amazon, thanks)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

There's still an Everest thread in GBS:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933688

It's not really a deathcount thread AFAIK more general Everest news and chat, with some forays into other dangerous pursuits

You know why people post in that thread? Because it's there.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Verdugo posted:

Dear Prudence with another winning answer:

How can I let this go? Don't. Reach out to her and let her know she bullied you. (Like she didn't know that?) and re-open old wounds again.

What the actual gently caress, Prudie?

That's the absolute last thing they should be doing. There is absolutely no way this is going to end well. The bully probably doesn't even remember what she did by now, at least not in as much detail as OP, so she's most likely going to laugh it off. "Oh, you're right, we were so naughty as kids!", "Haha, did I really say that?". She might apologize to get the crazy person off her back, but that's about the best case scenario I can think off.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not having any kid friendly beverages at my house?

quote:

This situation involves me (28nb), my husband (40m), our 2 year old, my SIL/my husband's sister Wendy (27F), and her 4 kids ages 3 to 11

My husband and I don't drink anything aside from water, tea, and coffee. We also have whole milk for our toddler. We don't stock soda or juice, but allow our kid to have juice/soda on special occasions like birthday parties or holidays. This is where the issue arises.

Wendy and her kids LOVE juice and soda. She started giving her kids juice before she started them on solid food. Her pantry and fridge are constantly stocked with Costco packs of various sodas, juices, and sports drinks that the kids are allowed to grab as they please. I've seen her kids go through 2 12 packs of coca cola in one afternoon and idk if I've ever seen Wendy without a bottle of diet coke in her hand. We don't tend to visit Wendy since she lives in a 2 bedroom apartment with her kids. Our place has more room so they visit us, but Wendy rarely tells us if she's stopping by. However, we constantly get into arguments over us"denying" her kids things to drink when they're over. To be clear, we always offer them water, milk, or decaf tea - they refuse to drink them.

It came to a head last week when she dropped by unexpected. Her kids tore through my living room to the fridge and the 11 year old threw himself on the ground and started screaming "YOU PROMISED AUNTIE HAD RAINBOW JUICE FOR ME!!" (Does anyone know wtf rainbow juice is?) When I asked Wendy why she told her kids we had juice when she knows we don't she said she figured I couldn't say no to a crying child and that I'd go out and get some. At that point I had enough and I admit I was an rear end in a top hat in how I spoke to her. After years of having to put up with 2-3 tantrums per week from her kids getting upset at not getting sugary drinks. I said, "Wendy, it's not my fault you got your kids addicted to sugar. It's not my fault your 11 year old still throws tantrums because you refuse to parent your kids. You're on time out. If you drop by, I won't let you in. In the future if you want your kids to drink liquid sugar at my house bring it yourself. I'm tired of you using your kids to manipulate me and the rest of our family. Now get the gently caress out of my house." She looked at me like I had 6 heads, grabbed her poo poo, and dragged her kids out, kicking and screaming about rainbow juice.

She went on social media rant about how hubby and I are giving our kid an ED for denying her sweets and that we'd rather see her kids suffer from dehydration than give them something to drink. Her friends started dogpiling on hubby and I and we started getting angry calls and texts because SIL ended up leaking our info on social media. I didn't doubt myself before, but now I kind of am, especially because one of SIL's baby daddies who never agrees with her is saying were assholes for not providing anything other than milk or water at our home knowing her kids wont drink either. So, are we assholes?

quote:

I think part of why I blew up is because they come over 2-3 times per week, most of the time unannounced, and destroy my home. I've had to kid proof my house more for her kids than I've had to for my 2 year old. We had to replace a toilet and have major plumbing work done earlier this year because her 11 year old decided to squirt a bunch of silly string in it to "see what happened". We would've banned her a long time ago but my husband has a soft spot for her cuz she's the baby of the family and struggles financially since 2 out of 4 of her baby daddies refuse to pay child support and she refuses to take them to court. I feel like I'm responsible for 5 kids instead of 1. We pay for her 3 school age kids school lunches during the school year since she can't afford it. We've also been paying childcare costs for her 3 year old for the past 4 months while she's allegedly searching for a job.

We can easily afford it and I want her kids taken care of, I think I just got to the end of my rope and feel a bit taken advantage of.

quote:

The 3 school age kids are able to get reduced tuition at one of our local Catholic private schools since my FIL has been a teacher at the school for the past 33 years, but he still pays the rest of the cost of tuition. He's planning on retiring once he hits 35 years and I'm a bit scared my SIL is going to expect hubby and I to pay for her kids to stay in the school after he retires.

quote:

The school age kids are enrolled in a private catholic school my FIL pays for. They don't qualify for subsidized lunches because it's a private school. But that's a whole can of worms that is hosed up. SIL lied for years about her kids being in public school and needing access to resources the schools couldn't provide so we'd write her a check no questions asked.

"Wendy, it's not my fault you got your kids addicted to sugar."

OP did you get Wendy addicted to your bank account and the feel of your back under her feet as she stops at the door

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What is a rainbow juice?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

edogawa rando posted:

What is a rainbow juice?

I'm guessing either some specific brand, possibly with a rainbow on it, or a blend of various different types of juice. Possibly it's a Pride Month Exclusive variant of some juice.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

edogawa rando posted:

What is a rainbow juice?

Whatever it is, it almost certainly is another step towards type 2 diabetes

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

AITA for not having any kid friendly beverages at my house?

i don't have any rainbow juice but there's pirate juice under the sink, it's the stuff with the skull and crossbones on the bottle

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My niece was not allowed to drink fizzy sugary soft drinks, and had her juice intake greatly monitored/restriicted by her mum, (my Sister in Law), and it was never an issue if/when she was round at other peoples houses.

She drank water. And pretty much every house has water. Either from the tap or bottled. It was not a big deal for her, as she got something to drink when she was thirsty, and it was not a huge deal for the people whose house she was at coz it's not hard to fill a cup from the tap, or just keep a jug of water in the fridge for hot days.

Now she's 10 she can drink anything she like. And she likes juice, but thinks soft drinks are too sweet. Again, perfectly fine and normal.

But in this story there are so many issues. An 11 year old that throws himself on the ground and chucks a tantrum because there is no "rainbow juice"? A mum that says "I didn't want to buy him it, so I stoked the tantrum. Hoping that you would see a crying 11 year old and immediately cave." An 11 year old that caused major plumbing damage. (although this is the one thing I can forgive. an 11yo squirting silly string down the toilet for gags seems like the thing an 11yo would do).

And this is discounting all the financial support that OP gives to the sister. Which bring up their own can of worms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We didn't have much sugary drinks around growing up but I managed to be kind of a hummingbird anyway. That said, she's definitely gotten her kids addicted to processed sugar and probably caffiene, they probably throw tantrums because they're overstimulated and going into withdrawal.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Them teeth are probably not in great shape either. Young juice/soft drink/dutch milk drinkers tend to sip the sweet drink all day which means the teeth are soaked in liquid enamel remover and end up with cavities in baby teeth.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Wait what

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's milk you farted in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Some googling suggests it's slang for chocolate milk?