Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9D747V-1HU

chitoryu12 posted:

Can y'all just not be loving weirdos for one goddamn day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSufJgCXwnw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I still don't know what the hell the point of Reva was.

She had it out for Obi-Wan in particular and it's never explained exactly why - I can guess that it is because he was Anakin's master maybe?

Then she had it out for Vader - and that is actually explained, but she fights him and just gets owned so what's next?

Well, going after Luke for some reason because she just wants to kill someone? To succeed at being an inquisitor when she failed at everything else? To kill a child that Obi-Wan has a connection to?

The problem here is that I have to guess at what the gently caress her motivations are because the show's writing is so all over the place - and honestly the simplest explanation is that she was just mad as hell and she didn't wanna take it anymore. And you understand why she is mad but not why she does any of the things that she does. Like, I don't need everything to be spelled out for me, but the whole arc was just so mystifying and unsatisfying and there was absolutely nothing to the character for 99% of the show than "extremely mad at Obi-Wan for some reason". I want to like the character but they just gave me nothing to latch onto whatsoever.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Hakkesshu posted:

I still don't know what the hell the point of Reva was.

She had it out for Obi-Wan in particular and it's never explained exactly why - I can guess that it is because he was Anakin's master maybe?

This in particular was to earn Vader's trust so that she could more easily kill him.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The way I figure it, Vader knew Reva was playing dead but sensed the fear/anger/potential in her to be useful and left alone.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Obi-wan Episode 6: A Trilogy of Reviews

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I lol'd at Obi-Wan's "I'll look in the Dune Sea," like he's about to look in a cupboard or something. Just be a jiffy.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Admiral Bosch posted:

this show is a masterclass in illustrating the limitations of filming things on the holodeck. additionally, failing to hire a good composer, fight choreographer, screenwriter, and director. the action is flat. the music is forgettable. the dialogue is bland. the direction is basically absent. any memorable moments are dependent on nostalgia. the prequels are not good but i would rather watch them again.

Sums it up, yeah. I can't believe something so expensive can look and sound and feel so amateurish and cheap.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
god, liam neeson looked like absolute poo poo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

exmarx posted:

god, liam neeson looked like absolute poo poo
It's been 23 years since The Phantom Menace and also he spent a good amount of that time trying to kill random black men in Ireland

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

That DICK! posted:

yeah but finally we got to see how leia got her trademark holster from return of the jedi. i remember thinking as a kid during return of the jedi, why's she wearing that? where'd that come from? sure enough, 40 years later, disney delivers

The disney Star Wars trend of attaching significance to objects that have less than a second of total screen time continues! Leia's holster will be enshrined along with Han's dice.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I remember when Rebels and then Rogue One came out and I was like, "eh, this stuff is OK, but they're just getting the rote stuff out of the way by filling in the obvious story gaps. I can't wait until in a few years from now when they can give interesting directors the opportunity to explore totally new stories and really get wild/weird/interesting with the Star Wars universe."

lol

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Liam Neeson being one of the big end reveals was so loving lame man. We all knew he was going to be in the show the moment it was announced. He's not hard to get. He showed up in The loving Orville for a 30 second cameo. And then he doesn't even say anything here besides "hey buddy". He should've been in the first episode and they could've ended on something actually cool like Kyle Katarn or something.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Hakkesshu posted:

Liam Neeson being one of the big end reveals was so loving lame man. We all knew he was going to be in the show the moment it was announced. He's not hard to get. He showed up in The loving Orville for a 30 second cameo. And then he doesn't even say anything here besides "hey buddy". He should've been in the first episode and they could've ended on something actually cool.

Quick, somebody splice Neeson's cameo in Atlanta season 3 into a Kenobi cantina scene.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, going after Luke for some reason because she just wants to kill someone? To succeed at being an inquisitor when she failed at everything else? To kill a child that Obi-Wan has a connection to?
She knows Luke is Vader's son. She was going to kill him as vengeance for what Vader did to her fellow Padawans.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BrianWilly posted:

She knows Luke is Vader's son.
Does she?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That did not seem clear to me, if she does.

She definitely does not know Leia is Vader's child??

Edit: I looked up the Jimmy Smits hologram and he says "if he's learned of the children" but that's a pretty loving tenuous connection idk

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 23, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Makes sense because the writing was so bad as a whole, but one thing that sticks out for me is how unquotable the whole thing was. This fact really driven home by the ending cameo. Unreal to me that they can just mail it in and not at least include a few people on staff to flesh out things properly and give it some sort of connection to the source material.

Mando may have been a final fleeting moment of quality (ok Fett was fine)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When I said Disney was smearing leftists by making the homeless black woman do random murders for no reason while talking about inequality, people dismissed it as 'trolling.'

Episode 6: Reza breaks into a rural family's home, planning to murder a random white child. "What do you want?" "Justice!"

Welcome to my world

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Bail's message said "If he's found you...if he's learned of the children..." and Reva put it together. The only children Vader would care about, the only ones who Kenobi would be striving to hide from him, would be his own.

I suppose it could have been more overt, but remember that she's one of the few people who knew Vader as Anakin Skywalker. At bare minimum if she heard anyone on Tatooine mention Luke's name, she would know for certain.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I still think it's a bit of a leap to put those two things together, but at least it's something.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Series owned and I loved it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This show was like when you play a sequel to a video game and they never quite explain why the protagonist has lost all their powers and just gets them all back with a few extra tree branches after they've had a bit of experience.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh right and she directly states to Owen, in bemusement, that he cares for Luke as if the boy is his own son. That means she knows Luke isn't actually Owen's son, which she only knows because she had deduced he was Anakin's.

Again, I suppose it could have been clearer, but yeah the reason she goes after Luke is because she knows the truth.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Its just weird that Reva's entire emotional journey from getting left for dead to 'if I can't kill Vader i'll hurt him by killing his son' happens off screen.

Was there really no time in the 6 hours of this show to spend a bit more time with this character who is clearly being set up to return in some fashion.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Alchenar posted:

This show was like when you play a sequel to a video game and they never quite explain why the protagonist has lost all their powers and just gets them all back with a few extra tree branches after they've had a bit of experience.

Are there any real scenes where Obi-wan has lost his powers? He force-parachutes Leia in the second episode.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

BrianWilly posted:

She knows Luke is Vader's son. She was going to kill him as vengeance for what Vader did to her fellow Padawans.

Does the show explain that though? Because I was really confused by that scene (both her motivations and why it exists at all). Honestly I think they did a really poor job with Reva and I feel bad for the actress who plays her. Reva could have been the most interesting part of the show, she's new and conflicted and we don't know what's going to happen to her, unlike basically everybody else. Yet I largely didn't really understand or care about her character for most of the show.

I didn't hate the show and it had entertaining parts, it's just baffling how bad it is overall. I know there's been more bad star wars movies than good ones, but the Disney TV stuff seemed to be quality. Hell I was not enthused when they announced a bobba fett show but it ended up being pretty good (I thought so anyway, it was different). And then this, I was just full MST3K mode by the end. It was like a scavenger hunt for bizarre character decisions and confusing editing and action.

BrianWilly posted:

Oh right and she directly states to Owen, in bemusement, that he cares for Luke as if the boy is his own son. That means she knows Luke isn't actually Owen's son, which she only knows because she had deduced he was Anakin's.

Again, I suppose it could have been clearer, but yeah the reason she goes after Luke is because she knows the truth.

Yeah i guess you're right, but her plan is still stupid and pointless enough it makes one wonder how she was able to enact it and get all the way to tattooine/the farm (while skewered) without figuring out how little sense it made. It would have rocked if she did kill Luke, then been as completely baffled and underwhelmed as the audience immediately afterwards, like "oh wow guess that didn't really hurt Darth Vader at all huh."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Overall, it was okay, 6/10.

It seemed like the writing room was like what if we answer the question, why does Obi-Wan tell Luke that Vader murdered Anakin? We'll have Vader say, "I murdered Anakin!" *Producers: Wow, wow, wow!* That question absolutely did not need to be answered, because Obi-Wan already answered it when Luke asked him about it on Dagobah. Maybe you didn't love the answer (as Luke didn't) but you made your peace with it and moved on with the story.

As others have pointed out, every single chase scene was a disaster. The editing and special effects ranged from adequate to atrocious and despite having access to some of the best music in cinema history they mostly opted to ignore it and substitute their own forgettable stuff. You could make the argument the often made the same choice with Obi-Wan and Vader versus their new characters. Force power creep and super glowy lightsabers were another negative for me. I liked the lightsaber fighting choreography, didn't like the camera work because it reminded me of that dogshit fan video of scene 38 rEiMaGiNeD. At least the T-47 scene was hilarious, I guess.

Despite all that, I did enjoy it at times and the finale, while flawed, was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I saw a thumbnail for a YouTube video with Reva photoshopped on a WWE wrestler's body with a title belt and figured she was going to beatdown Vader and save Obi-Wan. They didn't do that, so that's good I suppose. I would have liked to see more of Obi-Wan's eopie and jawa friend.

There's always season 2, I guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m struggling to see the point of a Season 2. The only issue left unresolved is what happens to Reva, which would only be interesting if they had bothered to explain what she was even doing in the finale. Her character just felt very underdeveloped and clearly the priority of the producers was the Vader/Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan/Leia relationships over anything else.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Vader getting so hosed up by Obi-Wan is ridiculous. Obi-Wan just leaving him there alive when he could have easily killed him is ridiculous. Why is Obi-Wan so willing to fly back to Alderran after being relentlessly followed for the last 5 episodes and being tracked, and then back to Tatooine again in the same drat ship. Vader leaving him in a pile of rocks assuming he is dead is also really stupid and out of character, he wouldn't just walk away without actually confirming he died.

The key jangling of old lines was really forced. Reva being allowed to live while knowing about Luke and attempting to kill him is wild. What if she just changed her mind later, or Vader/the inquisitors actually find her and gets the information out of her.

Even the end of Obi-Wan and Vaders fight where they are talking to each other with Vaders half chopped helmet is jacked straight from Rebels with Vader and Ahsoka

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 23, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think there’s going to be a season 2. There’s been no official announcements and the claims have come from not-so-reputable sites. I think they may have just ended it. I’m sure we’ll see Reva in Fallen Order 2 now.

e: just came across this so I think it’s pretty much confirmed there’s no season 2 right now. Hopefully if it does get green lit whatever issues they had with this season that may have been due to corona, or just seeing the reception of this season, they’ll get back to Mando quality for you guys.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 23, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jedi Fallen Order is just a much better version of this exact same story (Jedi in hiding has to reconnect with the Force and regain his powers in order to do a thing).

I had problems with the ending of that game but it’s still better than what we got here

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think someone basically said this upthread, but it sounds like taika at least understands how deeply embarrassing it is to be telling stories about how princess leia got her famous holster. That's really only the first step on the journey to making something that isn't god awful, but it a first step

There is no way in hell the guy who’s been in all these garbage movies as the leading comedic actor or villain and has directed only the most mind numbing movies of all time is going to know what to do with Star Wars

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

josh04 posted:

Are there any real scenes where Obi-wan has lost his powers? He force-parachutes Leia in the second episode.

Theres the bit where he struggles to move the bolt on the table, and the first fight with Vader where he's basically helpless.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
He also struggled like hell to stop Leia from falling too

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There is no way in hell the guy who’s been in all these garbage movies as the leading comedic actor or villain and has directed only the most mind numbing movies of all time is going to know what to do with Star Wars
Taika is the most talented director to work on Star Wars, but he might not know what to do with it because it's such a step down for him

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This is a rotten opinion. Taika makes some loving excellent movies. Tell me you only watch superhero movies without telling me. Have you seen Wilderpeople? Jojo Rabbit? Or the series Our Flag Means Death?

Probably not.

Taika Wars has immense potential to be good.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

"Owen, the farmer, what's his kid's name?"

"Luke Skywalker."

"Ok, thanks."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Vintersorg posted:

This is a rotten opinion. Taika makes some loving excellent movies. Tell me you only watch superhero movies without telling me. Have you seen Wilderpeople? Jojo Rabbit? Or the series Our Flag Means Death?

Probably not.

Taika Wars has immense potential to be good.

I like his stuff but he is kind of polarizing. I anticipate some fans will react similar to the "he ruined Thor" takes.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
The holster thing is now bothering me and I have to go watch that episode again because if she had it on her when she exploded that means someone had to run out of their way while trying to escape and take it off her meaty chunks. Because other than her story about it, I wasn't paying attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Anyone else experience absolutely horrible picture quality throughout the whole show, but especially in the last episode? There was blue glow blowout of the camera, and on the duel planet there was distortion in the background and some sort of horizontal banding or bars showing up. The blacks when Obi-Wan was buried were crushed all to hell and looked more like light gray. On the transport in the beginning of the episode film grain, lighting and ISO(?) varies wildly between shots in the same scene. When Reva is hunting Luke she has a halo around her, which is like the number one thing not to do in babbys first HDR tutorial.

I even downloaded the episode to double check if it was just the D+ stream that had defaulted to a low setting, but nope, same thing. Tried all the enhancements my TV could throw at the picture too, but it doesn't help when the source file is the actual problem. It looks like an HDR show mastered on SDR equipment, and when they were doing the extended range they just didn't give a poo poo.