Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Is sweetened milk, literally just milk with sugar added as far as I can tell. I only know of it because our pediatrician mentioned it by name as something to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Electric Wrigglies posted:

dutch milk drinkers
???

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Glumslinger posted:

AITA for snapping at my half-sister when she called to say neither her nor my other sister will be attending my wedding, after they both RSVPd yes?

Huh, traumatic situation, I wonder what is going on there, probably just something blown out of proportion

:allbuttons:

I don't get why Molly's boyfriend dying means that Mary won't attend OP's wedding

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive never heard of dutch milk before and sounds old timey european racist.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I know it's not the point but I need to know what kind of silly string it was that required plumbing work AND broke the toilet itself.

Was it made from acid or hooked up to an industrial compressor or something?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Maybe high expansion construction foam. That might be able to crack the porcelain if there was a solid enough clog

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Is sweetened milk, literally just milk with sugar added as far as I can tell. I only know of it because our pediatrician mentioned it by name as something to avoid.

What???????? This is a thing????????

Like I didn’t drink milk as a kid (made me queasy), and like, outside of flavored milks this is a thing? Why?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Those deranged dutch, always sweetening milk. I see em out there, in the dead of night, rifling through my cabinets trying to get at the sugar.

I tried googling it and the only thing I can find is Dutch Mill diary products but its also trying to give me japan results.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not getting my SIL a baby shower gift after she wouldn’t take my handmade one?

quote:

Due to financial challenges I am currently broke right now. This coincided with my sister in law’s baby shower. It’s the first baby born to any of my siblings so it’s a big to do. I had money set aside but had to use it to cover some unexpected expenses that came up with my car. By the time I got things sorted and got around to the registry, the smaller items were gone and all that was left were the big ticket ones of 100+ dollars which honestly I can’t afford. But I can knit pretty well and have a yarn stash so in downtime between work, and general life I knitted up a baby blanket for my new niece. I did pick up some smaller items too, pacifiers, some of those little texture books and whatnot.

I was working a double the night of the shower so I didn’t get to go so the weekend after I swung by my brother’s place and gave the blanket and small items to them. My sister in law was peeved and gave me back the blanket for being the ‘wrong color’. It was a deep navy blue yarn and I guess it’s a boys color, whatever. I was annoyed but one of my friend’s had a baby recently so I decided I’d give it to her. I left the smaller items and went home a little miffed but whatever. Few days pass and my brother calls and says my sister in law is asking what I’m planning to get them so they can start planning the nursery layout. I was just sorta like wtf and pointed out that I had already given them my gift and his wife gave it back. Won’t get into the whole convo but basically they said I went off the registry so they’re still expecting something from me since I’m the uncle. Most of the small big ticket items are now gone so I really honestly can’t afford anything left on the registry. I asked about the smaller items I gave them and my brother said his wife said those didn’t count, they asked for gifts off the registry, or I could make a blanket with the right colors. Told my brother that hell no I wasn’t making another blanket, between work it took me almost a month to make that blanket and I used up 90% of my infrequent downtime to make it. Mom says they’re right, I’m not supposed to give them something off the registry and as immediate family I should buy them something they asked for, dad’s stance is ‘why are you as a grown rear end man knitting’ and sister in law is giving me the cold shoulder, brother is idek at this point. Says he’s sorry but asking me to give in just to make it go away. I don’t have any clue how any of this baby shower stuff works so AITA?

"I demand a gift! No, not that one though!"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Vim Fuego posted:

I don't get why Molly's boyfriend dying means that Mary won't attend OP's wedding

Because Mary prefers to support the sister she's closer to, and because OP is an rear end in a top hat.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I live in the Netherlands and can confirm:

- The Dutch love Chocolate Milk (Chocomel is the big brand)
- The Dutch love "Koffiemelk" which is this vile concoction of condensed milk, sugar and chemicals that they insist in putting in their coffee
- The Dutch drink buttermilk (Karnemelk they call it) straight out of a glass

I've never seen the Dutch just straight up add sugar to milk and drink it though.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
my grandpa loved drinking buttermilk but he was a west virginia hick, i guess i kind of figured it was an Old People Thing (i hate it)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Dutch are straight up perverts and racists.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I think they're nice :)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Coffee milk is indeed a thing in RI, and soymilk coffee milk brings me back to college. Next time I’m in the states I think I’ll need to get some.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

Keith's is from Nova Scotia, no idea if Americans can access it but we're in Toronto and there's commercials for it all the time. It's not hard to get here it's available in cases from the beer store.

poo poo I wish they shipped it across the border. I have a teammate that visits family several times a year so he brings back a case or two of Keith's and Labatt 50 to drink after our games. drat pandemic screwed up out beer delivery.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Gerblyn posted:

- The Dutch drink buttermilk (Karnemelk they call it) straight out of a glass

thats hosed up

AITA for buying a gargantous amount of milk and chocolate powder?

quote:

So today I(17M) was drinking some chocolate milk and my mother barged in my room and started complaining that i was drinking all the milk in the house (i drink around 1 cup of chocolate milk per day).

After she was done with her rant i said ok, and i went to Carrefour (It's like wallmart) and i bought 30L of milk and 5KG of chocolate powder (Nescau)

When sha saw me coming with the boxes she asked ,why i bought all of that ,and i said

''Milk and chocolate won't be a problem for a while''

She's mad at me now but my father can't stop laughing.

So am i the rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: IT'S UHT MILK THAT LAST UP TO 4 MONTHS OUTSIDE THE REFRIGERATOR

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

^^^Carrefour is where we shop now and UHT milk is all I have drank for years as far as milk - generally only get 10 L a go though, man I miss Aussie fresh milk^^^

ahh oops team, my bad. It is "Dutch Mill" (not Dutch Milk) a brand of sweetened and flavoured milk. Popular in Asia and looks like they have gotten into pro-biotics and other healthy options recently as well.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 23, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
gargantous is a really good word

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love when parents get mad upon their children finding a rational mature solution to a problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I love when parents get mad upon their children finding a rational mature solution to a problem.

It's because they had a perfectly good excuse to pick fights and lecture them over completely innocuous activity and he went and ruined it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh I know, it’s just amusing to witness because it’s the kind of thing that reinforces the sense of “my parents are loving idiots” that kids have around that age.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not allowing my daughter to quit competitive dance?

quote:

There seems to be a glitch with my previous post :(

I, f30, have a daughter, Lili, f14. We just moved states (husband is in the army) and she’ll be going to a new school soon and she’s deciding on her new subjects. She did French last year and did extremely well (was way ahead in her class) but she spent a lot of time after school studying for that one language, she said she had fun doing it (doubtful) and enjoyed it very much.

I need to add that Lili does competitive dance which means that she doesn’t have much time left after school. I did competitive dance as a child and I know how hard it is to find time for studying. She came to me the other day telling me that her new school doesn’t offer French but they offer Spanish and she wanted to take it and asked me if I could sign her up to private French classes so she can learn both languages. I told her that absolutely not that with her dance she won’t have time for that and it’s too dfifficult of a subject, taking too much of her time.

She told me that she hasn’t been enjoying dance for a while and was too scared to tell me but she wants to quit dance. She told me that she wants to study languages and work with that when she’s an adult.

I told her that she won’t be quitting dance because she’s too good at it and I already put in a lot of money and that she doesn’t need to know other languages, she’ll get by with English just fine.

Of course, as teenagers do, she threw a fit and run to her room. She accused me of living vicariously through her (when the hell did a 14 year old learn that phrase though) and I grounder her for it. She hasn’t talked to me since this morning.

My husband came back from work and asked me what happened and I explained it to him and she told me that I should consider letting her quit dance that languages are a useful skill. Apparently, they always look for people who speak languages and it’ll be better than dance for her future.

I told him I did’t want to talk to him anymore and called my sister to vent. Surprisnlgy, my sister took my husbands and Lili’s side and she joked that I should post here if I don’t believe her. So I decided to give it a try. AITA for not allowing my daughter to quit dance and take language classes instead?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Evil Willow posted:

New any% estrangement speedrun record incoming. Good on whoever taught that kid what "vicarious" means.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
She typed all that out and still doesn't understand why her daughter was scared to tell her something.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
"they always look for people who speak languages"? wow you don't say

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But she does speak a language, isn't English good enough?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Look, kid, you ruined my dance "career" at 16 by having the temerity to be born, so you could at least have the decency to be a do-over of my own crushed dreams instead of a real human being!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
on the one hand you have doing what you love and learning multiple languages opening up many doors in the future and on the other you have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkxnfFfYm6g

who is to say which is more important??

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Was talking on discord with some goons about classic stories from these threads, and I don't know if this thread had this classic yet.

My fiance (28 f) just told me she thinks i'm (27 M) possessed by her dead fiance and destined to reincarnate him through our child. I'm thinking of walking right now. I'm lost and need advice.

quote:

I'm using a throwaway because holy gently caress

My title is kinda the rundown of the situation but i'll give some context.

I've known my fiance (we'll call her Jane) since high school. We were never that close then and really only knew each other through mutual friends. At the time she was dating a man we'll call Shawn. They were the definition of high school sweet hearts and dated from 16 into college. From what I heard at the time they were obsessed with each other and were madly in love. When Jane was 21 her and Shawn got engaged and were planning on marring that spring. Well, only 4 weeks after they got engaged Shawn died. He was hit by a drunk driver who crossed onto the side walk late at night and died before the ambulance came. This destroyed Jane. She pretty much dropped out of college and disappeared for a year. It was so bad for her she broke down on the steps to the court house on the day the driver was to be prosecuted and needed to be taken away in an ambulance. After that I lost contact with her along with most of our mutual. She had locked herself in her room and threatened to kill herself and after that she disappeared.

Until a little over 2 years ago. I met her randomly at a Starbucks and we decided to catch up. It was weird but there was a spark almost immediately and since then we've been together. At first it looked like she was over Shawn and had moved on but that was wrong. I found she still had a little shrine to him in her house and would talk about him to me occasionally believing he is "watching over her". While this seemed weird I understand it. This was very traumatic for her and she honestly may never get over it fully. I honestly probably should have thought this over more but she seemed as if she was doing fine and had move past him almost entirely and only wanted something to remember him by.

Well, this changed entirely these past few months. In December I proposed to her. It was great, we started planning the wedding and moved in together last month. Since then though, she's been acting strange. When she moved in with me she moved her shrine with her and insisted it be in our bedroom and I stupidly let her. Along with this, she's been treating me very different. While she was always a little babying before now she tries to do everything for me like she's a slave. She even broke down one night because I wanted to cook and it was her "job" to do that. Along with this, she has started to to treat me totally different. She insists I like things I don't, she has tried to get me to do things I hate, all while saying I used to love them.

This behavior has really been freaking me out, but that not the worst of it. Since moving in she has accidentally been calling me Shawn. Every time she does it she apologizes crying even though i never say anything. While I can kinda understand it, the way she reacts when she does so freaked me out the most. All of this lead up to this week. Something changed about her. She started acting a bit more, relaxed. She started to loosen up about her doing everything and stopped crying when she accidentally called me Shawn. I thought maybe she was finally starting to adjust. I was wrong.

Last night things finally made sense. We we're making plans for the wedding when she slipped a comment in about not having to "pretend" anymore. When I asked she told me "oh, you know Shawn". The way she said it freaked me out so much. That was not an accident and she had just called me that on purpose. When I confronted her she all of the sudden freaked out and told me to "stop pretending". Eventually she stopped and said that I must not "understand". She wen't on about how she didn't understand either and at first and I must just need to be told.

She proceeded to tell me that I am, in fact, Shawn's "vessel" for his rebirth. Apparently she thinks Shawn has been coming to her in dreams since his death, telling her that he is not dead and possessed someone. According to her, I was "chosen by him" to impregnate her and that her child will be his new body. This week he came to her again and said he had finally "merged" with my conciseness and on our wedding night I was going to impregnate her with him.

There was no hint of any sarcasm or deceit when she said this. I shut down then. I didn't say anything to her and just went to bed. She decided to "give me some time" and slept on the couch last night. The only thing i've said to her since then was asking her if she really loved me. To which she replied "Of course, Shawn chose you as my husband and his new father."

She is at work right now. I took today off and an sitting in bed right now on the verge of losing it. Last night at 3 am I packed a back with everything I want and am contemplating running right now. I love her, at least I did. If I leave she will be crushed. I'm also afraid she'll kill herself if I leave. I just, I need help right now.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I don't remember there ever being an update, but I hope he was sucessful in fleeing the country to put as many miles between them as possible and never looked back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh I know, it’s just amusing to witness because it’s the kind of thing that reinforces the sense of “my parents are loving idiots” that kids have around that age.

A lot of that time it's because the parents genuinely are loving idiots. Certainly emotionally immature.

Heck, a lot of them complain about contrary, backtalking, rebellious teenagers while acting exactly like what they're complaining about.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

hm i wonder why reddit user "Primaballerina1992" wants to force her kid to do competitive dance :thunkher:

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Here's a suggestion, combine your love of dance and languages by learning interpretive dance!!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just imagining the absolute meltdowns at the 11-14 year old competitive interpretive dance finals

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

greazeball posted:

Just imagining the absolute meltdowns at the 11-14 year old competitive interpretive dance finals

what, from the parents right?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

My child wants to learn two of the most widely spoken languages in the world, which could give huge benefits in career searches, allow them to interact with foreign cultures on a much closer level, and make travel easier.

But gently caress that lmao, dance for mummy now you little ungrateful brat

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Look, kid, you ruined my dance "career" at 16 by having the temerity to be born, so you could at least have the decency to be a do-over of my own crushed dreams instead of a real human being!

Glossed over the ages at first but yup, that’s exactly it, huge yikes

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

greazeball posted:

All I'm going to say is I remember staying at a hotel that was hosting a major cheerleading competition for high schoolers (very long story but our first hotel lost the final day of our reservation so this was the only last-minute option).

Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like it's easy to fail your way out of competitive dance if you really feel strongly about not wanting to do it any more