Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/boltsmag/status...ingawful.comOK.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Lmfao

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

gonna be hilarious when Trump wins in 2024 and expands the court while libs all sputter he can't DO that because of decorum

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao @ anybody who isn't paid by them willingly associating themselves with the democratic party.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

lmao the FDA is gonna ban Juuls

gonna have to get those vape rigs and juice from a freedom loving country like China

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
president xi, my people long for the refreshing, cool taste of vape juice.

and freedom. freedom sounds like it'd be good, too

(def vape juice)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
this is cool and not at all loving insane

https://twitter.com/juliabacha/stat...ingawful.com%2F

lolllll

https://twitter.com/whstancil/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was trying to incorporate a reference to that goons.txt quote about huffing candy-colored clouds from a robot' s dick but couldn't quite work it out to my satisfaction.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"social media and tiktok." is tiktok not social media now?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

"social media and tiktok." is tiktok not social media now?

is tiktok still chinese-owned? i can't remember but either way i'd say that might be a factor in the chode's verbage.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I think he's trying to draw an artificial difference between both by saying that most children are on TikTok, rather than Twitter and others. Which could be true between social media platforms

But misses that the vast majority of people and children are not on either.

They recognize, rightly so, it is the sitting president who is responsible for their material reality.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

the white hand posted:

probably fine

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

but democrats can't pack the court because if they did then the republicans would be able to!!!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Smoking is bad for you.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Brrrmph posted:

Smoking is bad for you.

counterpoint: it is good for you and makes you look cool

Griz
May 21, 2001

i quit smoking after getting really bad bronchitis to the point where i was physically unable to smoke and had to buy nicotine gum to deal with the withdrawal, and then figured i might as well quit since i already started.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
My friend's dad had a similar quitting story. Got the flu so bad that he stopped smoking for a month because it was gross and uncomfortable. Once the virus cleared up he decided he may as well be done. 40+ years of smoking and that was it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i quit smoking 'cuz it turns out they don't let you smoke in ICU. once i got out of the hospital, i figured as long as i had a head start i might as well quit

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Griz posted:

i quit smoking after getting really bad bronchitis to the point where i was physically unable to smoke and had to buy nicotine gum to deal with the withdrawal, and then figured i might as well quit since i already started.

yeah if i was ever forced to quit temporarily i'd probably stop because i'm old, but the point remains that any government action regarding tobacco is a cynical pandering ploy that is more than happy to misrepresent risks and consequences in order to justify draconian policy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
basically the democrats are awful in all regards, including their anti-smoking stance, which they are wheeling out right now because they are also intellectually bankrupt

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ending all anti-smoking regulations will now become part of the culture war. well, i'm not sure if you can even call it a war any more. culture humiliating one-sided rout?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
historically things i've taken interest in have been either ignored entirely or whatever the worst possible outcome is has happened, so since i'm voicing pro-smoking commentary democrats will make all tobacco cultivation and consumption illegal, schedule 1

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

I mean smoking is legit bad for you, but the hysteria about it has always been overblown because it is a winning political strategy.

you can see the very obvious correlation, it's definitely bad for you 20 years later. but at it's peak in the 60s cigarettes consumption was four thousand per person per year. if you smoke 20 a day, a pack, that's only 7300, which means on average every single adult in the united states smoked a half a pack of cigarettes' a day, which is honestly crazy to me. in exchange for that, 20 years later, 80 people out of 100,000 die of lung cancer. 0.08% risk of dying 20 years later when you are in your sixties if you smoke a half a pack a day.

covid really hammered home how artificial the outrage about those deaths was, considering it is ten times more deadly and kills you immediately.

this isn't really a valid comparison because the distribution of cigarettes smoked isn't well described by an average, and people can only get lung cancer once, but who cares. it looks valid and that's what counts. no one will call you on it

edit: wait how did i end up in this thread

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Zodium posted:

this isn't really a valid comparison because the distribution of cigarettes smoked isn't well described by an average, and people can only get lung cancer once, but who cares. it looks valid and that's what counts. no one will call you on it

edit: wait how did i end up in this thread

because i linked to it in another thread, and now we all know you read the other thread

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

luring me into american politics thread with statistics is low

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can always reflect on the irrefutable fact that the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022 to make you feel better

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

the white hand posted:

probably fine

the feds also poisoned bootleg alcohol and killed a ton of people during prohibition

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Yeah dems lets just somehow piss off your voters even more lmao

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Covid has ruined risk assessment. Driving drunk is statistically less harmful to yourself and others than eating in a restaurant. Smoking a pack a day is less dangerous than eating in a restaurant once a week. Having unprotected sex with an HIV-positive person is safer than riding a bus without a mask. And so on.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the ruination of this corrupt loving party and the absolutely nothing it holds dear cannot happen soon enough. may they never know peace for the rest of their miserable lives.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ending all anti-smoking regulations will now become part of the culture war. well, i'm not sure if you can even call it a war any more. culture humiliating one-sided rout?

culture bataan death march

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1539936969001680897?s=20&t=q5vhnnp7Y63tRMfjbh7t0g

the democrats!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

gah!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1539936970884915200?s=21&t=08T8h7XkTIl5Xz5AUfJQtw

…I guess if the numbers involved are less than $50k there may be a point but this just feels confusing to me because I thought state patrol and urban departments usually paid decently?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Can't wait to see the trans genocide get going full swing, but Biden protected trans people from Juul pods so who's to say whether he's good or bad?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the democraps

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

cnn doing so badly they can't even afford a proofreader i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1539936970884915200?s=21&t=08T8h7XkTIl5Xz5AUfJQtw

…I guess if the numbers involved are less than $50k there may be a point but this just feels confusing to me because I thought state patrol and urban departments usually paid decently?

"mental health support for law enforcement" in america is giving a cop a $50 gift card for a therapy app after he plugs a kid for wearing a hoody