Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Are A Time to Harvest or Cults of Cthulhu available in print yet? Those are the two most recent Chaosium titles I remember hearing anything about.

Speak of the devil.

Ab Chaos posted:

June 20th:
Cults of Cthulhu and ​A Time to Harvest release in hardback, worldwide

Eagerly-awaited Call of Cthulhu titles Cults of Cthulhu and A Time for Harvest release in hardback, worldwide on June 20th!

In the meantime, order these books as PDFs - and get them instantly - and you'll receive a coupon for the price of the PDF off the hardcover when it releases:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

EDIT: Also I don't know how you pronounce "Shub-Niggurath" but from the videos I've watched, Sandy Peterson pronounces it with the hard-r, and quite happily too, it seems. (Personally I would say it "shoob NEE-goo-roth" but I've excised this particular old god from my version of the mythos for precisely this reason).

It's very deliberately supposed to be pronounced like the racial slur. The black goat with a thousand young is supposed to invoke the image of fertile black women threatening to outbreed the while race, because that's been a paranoid racist fantasy since Lovecraft's days and Lovecraft made his paranoid racism manifest in his stories.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

LatwPIAT posted:

It's very deliberately supposed to be pronounced like the racial slur. The black goat with a thousand young is supposed to invoke the image of fertile black women threatening to outbreed the while race, because that's been a paranoid racist fantasy since Lovecraft's days and Lovecraft made his paranoid racism manifest in his stories.

Yeah, I figured. Same with Deep Ones and the whole mess of problems and unfortunate implications around them.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Getting really into Bartheleme and his fiction is great for titles/first lines that would make great prompts or module titles for CoC or DG.

My list so far:

The First Thing The Baby Did Wrong
Some Of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby
I Am Not Altogether Sympathetic To Our New President
See The Moon? It HATES Us.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PipHelix posted:

See The Moon? It HATES Us.

Very strong Local 58 vibes, I dig it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Im running a Monster of the Week game and I want to do a mystery where my players end up in a not-call of Cthulhu game Jumanji style. What are some good premade adventures to look over and get some ideas from?

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Len posted:

Im running a Monster of the Week game and I want to do a mystery where my players end up in a not-call of Cthulhu game Jumanji style. What are some good premade adventures to look over and get some ideas from?

Dead Light from "Dead Light & Other Dark Turns" is a good one. The eponymous Dead Light itself would make for an effective Monster of the Week I think, depending on the tone you're going for.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Single and LOVING IT posted:

Dead Light from "Dead Light & Other Dark Turns" is a good one. The eponymous Dead Light itself would make for an effective Monster of the Week I think, depending on the tone you're going for.

Saturnine Chalice from the same collection has an element of figuring out and finding puzzles that might evoke a bit of that Jumanji "board game" feel?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

It annoys me because I loved that dumb goat, it's my favorite of the pantheon.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Are there any published campaigns that happen over a timescale of years? I started thinking about the long study times for tomes and whatnot in CoC and realized one could steal a page from Ars Magica and just run a very slow campaign, but the issue is, I've never actually played Ars Magica.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Siivola posted:

Are there any published campaigns that happen over a timescale of years? I started thinking about the long study times for tomes and whatnot in CoC and realized one could steal a page from Ars Magica and just run a very slow campaign, but the issue is, I've never actually played Ars Magica.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but Ripples from Carcosa is three scenarios set in Ancient Rome, Medieval Europe and 22th century which, or so I hear, end up being connected enough that you can call it a campaign.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 15, 2022

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Siivola posted:

Coming Full Circle from Pagan Publishing is a four scenario campaign meant to be run over the course of the 1930s, but it's in OOP limbo because John Crowe is afraid of PDFs.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Megazver posted:

Not exactly what you were looking for, but Ripples from Carcosa is three scenarios set in Ancient Rome, Medieval Europe and 22th century which, or so I hear, end up being connected enough that you can call it a campaign.
What I had in mind was a game that follows the same investigators over a long time period, but your answer does satisfy the question as I actually wrote it.

Lumbermouth posted:

John Crowe is afraid of PDFs.
Same, really. Computers are spooky.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Siivola posted:

Beyond the Mountains of Madness isn't on that time scale but is approaching it and could have prelude sections that would push it up that way.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Eh, BtMoM is only about a calendar year all told. It’s a single exploration season on the ice plus travel to and from Antarctica, not years worth of events.

Really the only one I can think of is the prelude to the new Masks of Nyarlathotep, where you meet Jackson Elias in Peru. The actual story takes place later, though I don’t recall how much later:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Siivola posted:

Actually, Impossible Dreams, the new Delta Green campaign book, would fit this description, as the first mission takes place in the 90s and then the later ones take place about twenty years after.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, Impossible Dreams, the new Delta Green campaign book, would fit this description, as the first mission takes place in the 90s and then the later ones take place about twenty years after.
Are you talking about Impossible Landscapes or is there another DG Book in the works with this premise?

GOD'S TEETH also begins with a prequel mission set in the past, before skipping forward to the present day.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

mellonbread posted:

Are you talking about Impossible Landscapes or is there another DG Book in the works with this premise?

GOD'S TEETH also begins with a prequel mission set in the past, before skipping forward to the present day.

Woops, that's right, Impossible Landscapes is what I meant!!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

Woops, that's right, Impossible Landscapes is what I meant!!
I asked because Glancy has also mentioned working on a book where you play one scenario set in every decade from 1900 to the present day, and I wouldn't put it past ARC DREAM to give it a name that was way too similar to another adventure.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

mellonbread posted:

I asked because Glancy has also mentioned working on a book where you play one scenario set in every decade from 1900 to the present day, and I wouldn't put it past ARC DREAM to give it a name that was way too similar to another adventure.
Oh yeah one of his many dream babies is a series of adventures detailing a century-long development of weaponizing the visage of Ghatanothoa as technology develops to share it better, clearer and to more people on account of its Medusa-like powers being a clean weapon to use, with early instances being like splicing a few frames of it into film reels and then later on you have smart phones and wireless internet and everyone's hosed.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Siivola posted:

The Yellow King by Robin D Laws is mostly focused on late 19th century Paris, but has three subsequent settings each with their own splat book set in alternate realities that branch off from the Carcosan energies your players encounter in Paris - a 1940s world war setting with giant spider tanks and airships, a contemporary post-revolutionary setting after a fascist Carcosan powered American government has just been overthrown and a second contemporary setting equivalent to our world where Carcosan energy is seeping in at the edges. The intention by Laws is that you play a long campaign starting in 1890s Paris, then transpose to the Wars playing new characters related to your original Parisian PCs, then move to the post-revolutionary setting with a third generation of PCs then finally the fourth with another generation. And then perhaps for maximum satisfaction (this isn't in the books, but he posited this on his podcast) your This Is Normal Now (i.e. contemporary world of today) characters discover that the weird Carcosan energy invading the world is because of something your original Paris 1890s PCs did back at the start of the campaign and you have to figure out a way to undo it.

So intended to be played over 130 years and four realities and multiple PCs per player. It's quite an interesting concept, though I do wonder how many groups who play the game ever get anywhere close to a full campaign like that.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Drone posted:

Very strong Local 58 vibes, I dig it.

I may have accidentally ordered a John Barth book along with the Barthelmes. But I cracked it, and by god, first line is
"In a sense, I am Jack Horner."

I'm maybe 20 pages in and I can highly recommend it as a funnier Lucky Jim, page for page in the first 20 pages.

Also, I did a homebrew, and I've seen other modules, that had a Groundhog Day gimmick. Those are always good assuming you have a good ability to escalate things to keep people interested and know when to bail when your crew feels they've explored every aspect of living the same day. "Jesus loving Christ, how long have we *been* trapped here? Months?!" is generally your cue to wrap it up. There's got to be some official modules that mine time loops for horror.
Though, they tend to take place over a long time in game time and a short period, like 2-3 sessions in real time.
If you want to just run a long rear end campaign, Horror On The Orient Express is a good long while and has a time-jump between 1930s and ancient Rome and Byzantine Constantinople, plus the dreamlands, and a few others, though I don't think the PCs are linked, its just self-contained sub-modules.

e: Oh Man, I love Kris Straub!

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 16, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was reading about a pair of adventurers' clubs that are perfectly in period with the typical Cthulhu 1920s setting. In-theme too - I could imagine characters being members of such clubs and in a game there could be months at a time where the characters are figuring out what their next adventure is going to be, preparing, following low-stakes leads, studying tomes, doing research, etc.. All in the service of figuring out something awesome to tell at the next club meeting in a few months.

You wouldn't need to spend a lot of game time on this downtime, because obviously the actual adventures would be the main focus of the gameplay. But it would be a good framing device for why characters know each other, want to work together, have so much time available in between the action, and aren't necessarily in constant contact with each other in between adventures.

And of course the adventures they do go on would have to be of the "let us never speak of this again" nature, because aside from being horrifying no one even at an adventurers' club would believe it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventurers%27_Club_of_New_York
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ends_of_the_Earth_Club

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks for the tips y'all!

Weird that there isn't that much material for this kind of play, since a lot of the material in the rulebook and the Investigator Handbook seem to point at it. I read the Handbook the other day and it had tips like "hey you could let players play multiple characters so you can play globetrotting adventures" and something in my brain went "Ars Magica grogs" and from there it's not a huge leap to structure the game to "seasons" of some kind, and at that timescale if you give them a couple of tomes they'll be wizards soon enough... (Isn't exactly this what led to the original Delta Green supplement being written?)

I guess the lowest-effort way to do this would be to string together a series of one-shots and tying them together with a club like the ones BM linked?

It's not strictly a Cthulhu game, but doesn't Fria Ligan's game Vaesen do something like this?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 16, 2022

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I made a spooky creature.

quote:

William-O’-The-Sea, Watcher in the Water
In the town of Falmouth in Cornwall the children have sung a strange little rhyme since long before anyone can reckon.

William O’ William
O’ William-O’-The-Sea
Can’t you, can’t you, can’t you
Come and play with me?

Only the small children know this rhyme, and they pass it along to their younger friends and siblings. As they grow older, they forget the song, and forget that they ever saw William. Adults whose hearts and minds are closed do not normally even notice the children singing it at all.

William-O’-The-Sea is a being that can sometimes be spotted perched atop a reef off the coast of the town of Falmouth, when the tide and the moon is right. It takes upon a vaguely humanoid shape, with ichthyoid characteristics, such as iridescent greenish-blue scales, prominent gills, and large, saucer-like pale eyes that seem to glint with an inner moonlight. It molds its appearance to the watcher, and looks a little different to everyone, such that no one detail is shared among all observers. William smells like the ocean, like seawater and the ocean wind.

Since ancient times, William-O’-The-Sea seems to have taken a particular interest in the children of Falmouth, and comes onshore when the moon and tides align. Children who encounter him sometimes speak of having been taken on a journey to William’s castle under the ocean, a green and blue palace of mother-of-pearl and coral and gems. Those who return from a journey to William’s palace gain a lifelong nostalgia and love for the sea, and no matter where they go in life, eventually end up settling in small towns by the shore.

William’s disposition depends on the disposition of those who encounter it. In a way, it is a strange, alien reflection on humanity itself. If one encounters William with the open, playful, and curious mind of a child, William is benign and even benevolent, though strange and otherworldly. It may leave gifts and trinkets or bestow strange bounties and boons. If one encounters William with darkness in their heart, then William appears to be fey, and terrifying, and the cynicism of the onlooker only helps them see the far deeper truth behind William’s fishy facade.

William-O’-The-Sea seems to superficially resemble a traditional Deep One from Cthulhu lore, but in behavior and disposition is entirely different. It acts much more like a fey being from folklore, as a strange trickster or spirit. It is unknown what William wants, or where it truly comes from, whether it is a nameless survivor from an ancient and bygone civilization lost to aeons of Earth’s past, or if it is a traveler from another reality or dimension that has chosen to stay for a while to learn more about the human race for its own inscrutable purposes.

In order for an adult to contact William, their minds need to be open. For this to be so, either they need to have POW 70 or greater or SAN 30 or lower or Cthulhu Mythos 50 or greater, or to perform a shamanic ritual by the shore in Falmouth for 1D10 hours, or to take a hallucinogenic drug such as mushrooms. A young child of age 6 or younger, who has already seen William, must be present. The child must be a willing participant, otherwise no matter how open the person's mind is, William will pick up on the child’s distress and incur its wrath upon the child’s captors.

When William comes onshore, perform a SAN (0/1) roll for all investigators who aren’t performing the ritual. If there are any investigators present who fail the above criteria, the ones who succeed the SAN roll do not see William and believe that the ritual is nonsense.

William prefers to interact with children, and will require a sacrifice of some kind before it will be willing to answer questions from an adult. If it is satisfied with an offering, it will agree to answer 1D4 questions. William speaks telepathically, and may be asked questions involving the Cthulhu Mythos, or divinations about the future, or whatever the investigators may require.

STR 70 CON 70 SIZ 80 DEX 80 INT 80 POW 100
HP 55 DB +1D6 BLD 3 MOV 10/15 swimming
MP 20

Fighting 80% (40/16), dmg 1D6 + DB
APR 2; Dodge 50% (25/10)
Armor: 5 point scaly skin.
SAN Loss: 0/1D4

Insight: William knows the investigator’s true motivations. Attempts to lie or conceal anything from William fail. As a dark, watery reflection, William will take on the liar’s propensity for deceit, and tell them lies in return, falsehoods which will undoubtedly lead to their doom.

Inscrutable: William is an alien being, and its mind and motivations are unreadable. Attempts to discern William’s disposition using Psychology or (if using Pulp Cthulhu rules) read William’s mind using psionic abilities fail.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

BattleMaster posted:

I was reading about a pair of adventurers' clubs that are perfectly in period with the typical Cthulhu 1920s setting. In-theme too - I could imagine characters being members of such clubs and in a game there could be months at a time where the characters are figuring out what their next adventure is going to be, preparing, following low-stakes leads, studying tomes, doing research, etc.. All in the service of figuring out something awesome to tell at the next club meeting in a few months.

You wouldn't need to spend a lot of game time on this downtime, because obviously the actual adventures would be the main focus of the gameplay. But it would be a good framing device for why characters know each other, want to work together, have so much time available in between the action, and aren't necessarily in constant contact with each other in between adventures.

And of course the adventures they do go on would have to be of the "let us never speak of this again" nature, because aside from being horrifying no one even at an adventurers' club would believe it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventurers%27_Club_of_New_York
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ends_of_the_Earth_Club
They'd also lend itself to a revolving cast of characters. You have a PC die or a new person wants to join? They overhear you talking about your adventure in the overstuffed leather chair and cigar and billiards room and ask to sally forth and tally ho along next time.

There's still weirdos like that
https://microkhan.com/2022/03/22/the-farthest-end/
http://www.cordell.org/HI/index.html

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

I made a spooky creature.

Reminds me of when I was teaching English in Korea, and I took photos of the local fairytales painted on the walls of the kindergarten in town and assigned my middle schoolers to pick a story and tell it to me in English.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugungga
It's not mentioned in the Wikipedia article, but it was clearly part of the pictorials and the kids mentioned it, that the rabbit talked his way out of getting eaten by getting the Sea King sock-feet drunk at a big feast first. Boozing is a BIG part of Korean culture, so it was that disorienting foreigner-abroad one-two combo of that detail seeming out of place in a children's story and then immediately realizing 'oh yea, that's like everyday for here.'

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PipHelix posted:

They'd also lend itself to a revolving cast of characters. You have a PC die or a new person wants to join? They overhear you talking about your adventure in the overstuffed leather chair and cigar and billiards room and ask to sally forth and tally ho along next time.

There's still weirdos like that
https://microkhan.com/2022/03/22/the-farthest-end/
http://www.cordell.org/HI/index.html

Oh yeah, and it also helps answer some questions.

Why do you press onward instead of running away? Because you want to have an dangerous, exhilarating, and generally awesome experience that is notable enough to make you the keynote speaker at the next club meeting.

Why don't you call for help? Because what kind of coward calls the cops for help? It would ruin the story and you'd be a laughing stock if anyone found out that you did. Real adventurers solve their own problems with grit and determination.

Why keep doing it after your first run-in with horrific unknowable beings? Because you're chasing that adrenaline high and good story and maybe the next time you run into that sort of poo poo things won't be so bad and will make more sense. Plus holy poo poo magic is real???

I know that being an "adventurer" is the default for a lot of RPGs, but IMO it just makes a lot of sense for Call of Cthulhu because aside from the in-period literal adventurers' clubs, and all the era appropriate pulp fiction you can lean on, it does a good job of explaining why a bunch of disparate weirdoes go out there and keep coming back.

Plus it's not like HP Lovecraft's protagonists knew when to ask for help or turn back. They took their battery-powered pocket flashlights and got right in there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I know that being an "adventurer" is the default for a lot of RPGs, but IMO it just makes a lot of sense for Call of Cthulhu because aside from the in-period literal adventurers' clubs, and all the era appropriate pulp fiction you can lean on, it does a good job of explaining why a bunch of disparate weirdoes go out there and keep coming back.

This came up in-character in one of my sessions. An NPC asked an investigator why it is that they do what they do (everyone in the campaign works for a secret government agency devoted to investigating weird poo poo) if it's so mind-breaking and horrifying, and she responded that "With the kinds of things I've seen, this is the only job I can do now. :smith:"

It was a great spontaneous moment.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BattleMaster posted:

Oh yeah, and it also helps answer some questions.

Why do you press onward instead of running away? Because you want to have an dangerous, exhilarating, and generally awesome experience that is notable enough to make you the keynote speaker at the next club meeting.

Why don't you call for help? Because what kind of coward calls the cops for help? It would ruin the story and you'd be a laughing stock if anyone found out that you did. Real adventurers solve their own problems with grit and determination.

Why keep doing it after your first run-in with horrific unknowable beings? Because you're chasing that adrenaline high and good story and maybe the next time you run into that sort of poo poo things won't be so bad and will make more sense. Plus holy poo poo magic is real???

Plus it's not like HP Lovecraft's protagonists knew when to ask for help or turn back. They took their battery-powered pocket flashlights and got right in there.

Not to mention Lovecraft had more than a few times where the reaction of his characters to supernatural poo poo was less "collapse into a puddle of tears and slipping sanity" and more "use a gun, and if that don't work use more gun", and honestly at this point it feels more interesting to approach Lovecraftian Horrors as things that can be killed and thwarted(if at great personal risk obviously) than the more common approach a lot of modern Lovecraftian fiction leans towards treating everything as all gloom and doom with too heavy of a focus on Nihilism

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

DrSunshine posted:

"With the kinds of things I've seen, this is the only job I can do now. :smith:"

deltagreen.txt

Gearing up to play in my first DG...excited to suffer and die!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

drrockso20 posted:

Not to mention Lovecraft had more than a few times where the reaction of his characters to supernatural poo poo was less "collapse into a puddle of tears and slipping sanity" and more "use a gun, and if that don't work use more gun", and honestly at this point it feels more interesting to approach Lovecraftian Horrors as things that can be killed and thwarted(if at great personal risk obviously) than the more common approach a lot of modern Lovecraftian fiction leans towards treating everything as all gloom and doom with too heavy of a focus on Nihilism

I like in The Dunwich Horror where one of the investigators, knowing that guns can't harm the creature, still brought a big game rifle because if the magic fails he's still going to try, dammit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drrockso20 posted:

Even the guy in Call of Cthulhu itself who later became a morose drunk proto-goon and was later assassinated reacted to this by grimly thinking, "The loving THING will absolutely catch and eat us if I can't get the engine at full power," and even drove through Ol' Ctharl's head.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

With the kinds of things I've seen, this is the only job I can do now. :smith:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdTEc8V48o

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Hey everyone! Looking to change things up a bit with my rpg group and was thinking of trying out Call of Cthulhu. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it and I figure it would be a nice change of pace.

What are some pre-written modules that people would recommend for a group that has no experience with Call of Cthulhu aside from some cultural osmosis?

Would people recommend playing with pre-made characters, or should I let my players make their own characters to start?

Any information would be appreciated!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Grab the Starter Set. It's got several adventures and all the rules you need to give the game a very thorough spin, and it's also very affordable for an RPG.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, grab the Starter Set. There is a new 40th anniversary version coming out in three days.

Chargen in CoC is pretty laborious, so definitely offer pregens. The SS should have some and it's easy to find more.

For more good one-shot adventures, grab the Keeper Screen, Dead Light and Other Dark Turns, and Mansions of Madness vol 1.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The starter rulebook includes the quick-and-dirty method for generating new characters for when you run out, too.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

My recommendation for testing the waters of Call of Cthulhu would be the Starter Set (for Edge of Darkness) and the Keeper's Screen (for Blackwater Creek). You should be able to run both those scenarios with the starter rules and Blackwater Creek has enough going on in it for 3-5 sessions of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Doorways to Darkness are short (~1 hour) adventures that are set up for new Keepers. Gateways to terror is another similar such product, and both have a lot of notes for the Keeper on how to run the modules. What everyone else said should be followed first though, these are just adventure modules.