Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Not even the best song on that album.

Cuz Hardware Store is.

You have besmirched me and Mr. Yankovic sir and I demand satisfaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"Dare to be Stupid" is the only one that's caused the original artist to question their entire life's work so I'm going to go with that as the best.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

"Dare to be Stupid" is the only one that's caused the original artist to question their entire life's work so I'm going to go with that as the best.

I like that anecdote. And when Al talked to Ben Folds about doing a style parody, "Why Does This Always Happen To Me", Ben Folds asked if he could play piano on the track. So in a way, it's a pastiche and an official song.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Franchescanado posted:

I agree about preferring the originals over the parodies. He's got a few parodies, though, that have replaced the original for me. I Want A New Duck, Like A Surgeon, The Saga Begins, Yoda, (This Song's Just) Six Words Long, Fat, etc. Probably because I've heard them all way more than the original.

Can we all agree that Albuquerque is his best song, even if it's just a direct parody of Dick's Automotive by the Rugburns?

I had never heard I Want a New Drug, Lola, or Girls Just Wanna Have Fun before hearing his parodies, so those are 100% the original for me.

Oh poo poo I’m just now remembering the hand fart solo in Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I had never heard I Want a New Drug, Lola, or Girls Just Wanna Have Fun before hearing his parodies, so those are 100% the original for me.

I feel like that's true for a lot of his songs. I personally have heard a lot of his parodies before I ever heard the original.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I still don't know what song I Lost on Jeopardy is parodying. I could google it myself but :effort:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

I still don't know what song I Lost on Jeopardy is parodying. I could google it myself but :effort:

Jeopardy by Greg Kihn

"Our love's in jeopardy,
Baby,
Ooooooo"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I also think Weird Al's music is made even more enjoyable by the fact that every artist whose ever interacted with him has said nothing but amazing things about him as a person.

I mean you have to be a pretty cool dude to make a career a big part of which is parodying song's and everyone still loves you. Not to mention he's consistently culturally relevant and hilarious, rather than a lot of "parody" type music that instantly becomes dated.

Just a really cool dude. I don't even listen to his music on my own but I appreciate what he does for the music industry.

One of the most heartfelt stories I heard about him is that he found out both his parents had passed away from a carbon monoxide leak, and he still went on with the show the day he found out:

"I’ve heard from so many people over the years that my music has cheered them up in times of tragedy… Well, I thought maybe my music would help me too"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I feel like that's true for a lot of his songs. I personally have heard a lot of his parodies before I ever heard the original.

He's an introductory artist for so many people. Hearing Genius in France at age 11 was a very different experience from hearing it as an adult Frank Zappa fan.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Franchescanado posted:

Jeopardy by Greg Kihn

"Our love's in jeopardy,
Baby,
Ooooooo"

Thanks. It's the one song I think of when people talk about the parody outliving the original, which I've maybe heard once.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

Thanks. It's the one song I think of when people talk about the parody outliving the original, which I've maybe heard once.

It's one of those songs you hear at the grocery store or department store. I always assume it's the Weird Al version, until I hear the lyrics.

The other one for that is King of Suede, which is a parody of King of Pain by the Police, which I didn't hear until probably 10 years after memorizing the Weird Al one.

King of Pain is a great song, but King of Suede is one of Al's funniest songs, and I can't help but feel it's better than the original.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

"I Lost on Jeopardy" might be the best example of that, at least among Weird Al's catalog.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ultrafilter posted:

This 100%. It’s easily my favorite song he has made, parody or not.

I won’t pretend to remember the albums well enough to say definitively one is better than the other but Dare to Be Stupid I s definitely in the top tier as an album too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh poo poo I’m just now remembering the hand fart solo in Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch.
I had never heard Michael Jackson's Beat It/Bad before Eat It/Fat, so those are the originals for me.

Every year on Christmas, I have to listen to The Night Santa Went Crazy. It doesn't feel like Christmas if I don't.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Nothing like weird Al to perk up any thread

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rageaholic posted:

I had never heard Michael Jackson's Beat It/Bad before Eat It/Fat, so those are the originals for me.

Every year on Christmas, I have to listen to The Night Santa Went Crazy. It doesn't feel like Christmas if I don't.

I heard Christmas at Ground Zero first soooooo thank god for that Dr Demento Christmas CD I guess?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
As far as I'm concerned, Word Crimes is an original and Blurred Lines doesn't exist at all because Robin Thicke's a douchebag

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I like that anecdote. And when Al talked to Ben Folds about doing a style parody, "Why Does This Always Happen To Me", Ben Folds asked if he could play piano on the track. So in a way, it's a pastiche and an official song.

Mark Knopfler did this as his condition for allowing "Money for Nothing" to be parodied

My favorite anecdote is Al calling Kurt Cobain, Kurt agrees, pauses and goes "Wait, it's not gonna be about food, is it?" and Al tells him it'll be about how nobody understands Kurt's lyrics and Kurt just laughed and said "Go for it"

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 15, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Stone Roses?

I really like Love Spreads and Fools Gold

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The self-titled debut is essentially perfect - though there's a few different "this one includes this extra track, this one has a different extra, etc." variations between pressings and regions. they're all great.

The second record isn't perfect, but it's still very good.

everything else is one-offs and b-sides, apart from their unreleased early-80s album which finally got out in the late 90s, which I haven't heard.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 19, 2022

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

The Stone Roses?

I really like Love Spreads and Fools Gold

As hexwren says, there are really only two albums. Listen to the first, which is better, and then the second, which was yoked by a lot of expectations. The only thing you'll miss from those is Fool's Gold, which is my favourite track of theirs.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Teach posted:

As hexwren says, there are really only two albums. Listen to the first, which is better, and then the second, which was yoked by a lot of expectations. The only thing you'll miss from those is Fool's Gold, which is my favourite track of theirs.

I listened to the first one last night and mostly enjoyed it. I didn’t realize how new wave (?) they were, and I definitely have to be in the mood for that. It’s good though.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Teach posted:

My CD copy of their first album had "Fools Gold" included as a bonus track, which my friend who was helping me get into them told me was a very controversial and divisive inclusion (I think he was pulling my leg a bit), but I can't listen to the album any other way now.

Definitely start with their first album, but I picked up The Complete Stone Roses (which I think is just their singles and B-sides?) a while back and enjoyed listening to that as well. "Sally Cinnamon" is a hell of a debut single.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I've been trying to listen to more jazz lately. I've found that I like music that is focused on the piano, saxophone, and/or drums, so I've listened to things by Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, and Buddy Rich. What are the key albums by these artists? Where should I branch out to from there based on the artists I listed? I know "jazz" is a huge subject but any direction would be appreciated.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

I've been trying to listen to more jazz lately. I've found that I like music that is focused on the piano, saxophone, and/or drums, so I've listened to things by Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, and Buddy Rich. What are the key albums by these artists? Where should I branch out to from there based on the artists I listed? I know "jazz" is a huge subject but any direction would be appreciated.

Phone posting but will try to remember later. For starters, Dave Brubeck and Charles Mingus.

Edit: and Charlie Parker and Thelonius Monk.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 22, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Jazz is older than recorded music so there's a lot there and you're going to get a lot of opinions about what's essential to hear. A Brief History of Jazz is a pretty good overview of the major styles up to 1990 or so, but while it lists artists, it doesn't have any albums. AllMusic is a better source for that; their picks for older jazz acts generally match the critical consensus.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

owl_pellet posted:

For Ellington give Money Jungle a try. It’s a 60s album and it’s a trio, so it’s very different from most all of his other stuff. It has a couple of somewhat well known guys in the band.

Im not a Coltrane expert but it seems to be like there’s the earlier stuff on Atlantic like Blue Train/Giant Steps/My Favorite Things. The first two are pretty essential. Giant Steps is incredible. But still mostly hard bop and blues. Then with Impulse he had records like Coltrane/Love Supreme/Ascension that have moved into/started to define post bop and modal jazz. So if you listen to those 6 it’s a lot of good music. And I might be completely wrong on all of that.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 22, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Coltrane: Blue Trane, is the definitive hard bop Coltrane.

My Favorite Things is just a banger of an album wixth some modal jamming and some funky progressions.

A love Supreme is just one of the best jazz albums ever made.

Note he also plays on a bunch of other classics not least Kind of Blue which is also worth a listen but I assume you want his singular vision and not him as a sideman.

He also has a bunch of other great albums some of which are more or less intellectual, I left out Giant Steps because I'm of the belief you sort of need to know the backstory and such and maybe listen to the other three because they just sounds so good first. Things like Ascension I would listen to every night before bed but again, it's the concept of a massive group improv which may sound like noise to some.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 22, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

algebra testes posted:

I left out Giant Steps because I'm of the belief you sort of need to know the backstory and such and maybe listen to the other three because they just sounds so good first. Things like Ascension I would listen to every night before bed but again, it's the concept of a massive group improv which may sound like noise to some.
Giant Steps is just a monster, and a song that I find myself revisiting constantly.
I last took music theory in high school (30 years ago), but I think this does a great job talking about what's going on musically with it and why it's so great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tIvfP9A2w

Also, I mentioned Dave Brubeck, and his Time Out is a lot of people's first jazz album for good reason. In your case, it's got piano, drums, and sax (and bass).
Everyone knows Take Five, but for my money, this is the best song on the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmaC4WwspS4

And Pick up Sticks should take you back to a nice NY apartment in the 1950s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ro8-NOiMBY

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Thanks all. I added Blue Train, A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things, Giant Steps, Ellington Uptown, Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins, Time Out , Kind of Blue, and Mingus Ah Um to my playlist of things to listen to. That should last me for a while.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

owl_pellet posted:

Thanks all. I added Blue Train, A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things, Giant Steps, Ellington Uptown, Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins, Time Out , Kind of Blue, and Mingus Ah Um to my playlist of things to listen to. That should last me for a while.

Get Money Jungle!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

What kind of jazz is it if you liked the music in Lost Highway

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

evilpicard posted:

I think the answer is “Angelo Badalamenti”

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

evilpicard posted:

Yeah it's Angelo.

If you're referring to the main character's music, it's heavily influenced by industrial, it's really more industrial music with a sax playing than jazz, so you might have better luck looking into that genre.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

BigFactory posted:

Get Money Jungle!

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

BigFactory posted:

Get Money Jungle!

I have actually listened to Money Jungle already, and it was one of the albums that led me to post here.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

owl_pellet posted:

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is good.

Art Blakey’s album Moanin was a huge one for me when I started getting into jazz. I think he put out some of the most accessible hard bop.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is good.

That’s great but if I had to pick one it might be Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus. It’s that early 60s quartet that’s one of the best bands he ever had (the 63/64 sextet was incredible but the more stripped down quartet was cool too). Fables of Faubus (with Dannie Richmond yelling out lyrics) and What Love are both must-hears. What Love has a call and response between Mingus and Dolphy that’s a couple having a fight and it would be stupid if it wasn’t so good.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BigFactory posted:

That’s great but if I had to pick one it might be Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus. It’s that early 60s quartet that’s one of the best bands he ever had (the 63/64 sextet was incredible but the more stripped down quartet was cool too). Fables of Faubus (with Dannie Richmond yelling out lyrics) and What Love are both must-hears. What Love has a call and response between Mingus and Dolphy that’s a couple having a fight and it would be stupid if it wasn’t so good.

I agree with this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
My annoying elitist opinion is that once Ellington clicks with you, Mingus seems much less important and exciting. The sweeping concepts and suites are there, but with better songs and more energy. You just have to get past the inherent corniness of old jazz

e: and with Ellington I would start with the late albums like Far East Suite, New Orleans Suite and Afro-Bossa for that exact reason, they have a more modern big band sound but one that's obviously built on what the orchestra did in the 20s and 30s

Ras Het fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 27, 2022