Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Alchenar posted:

Theres the bit where he struggles to move the bolt on the table, and the first fight with Vader where he's basically helpless.

Nodoze posted:

He also struggled like hell to stop Leia from falling too

He's out of practise, sure, and also unwilling to fight Vader, but it's less like he's lost his powers and more like he's lost his mojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, Thor 2 was so drat good - now it's RUINED. /s :lol:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

evobatman posted:

Anyone else experience absolutely horrible picture quality throughout the whole show, but especially in the last episode? There was blue glow blowout of the camera, and on the duel planet there was distortion in the background and some sort of horizontal banding or bars showing up. The blacks when Obi-Wan was buried were crushed all to hell and looked more like light gray. On the transport in the beginning of the episode film grain, lighting and ISO(?) varies wildly between shots in the same scene. When Reva is hunting Luke she has a halo around her, which is like the number one thing not to do in babbys first HDR tutorial.

I even downloaded the episode to double check if it was just the D+ stream that had defaulted to a low setting, but nope, same thing. Tried all the enhancements my TV could throw at the picture too, but it doesn't help when the source file is the actual problem. It looks like an HDR show mastered on SDR equipment, and when they were doing the extended range they just didn't give a poo poo.

Dark scenes were exceptionally grainy, it was awful.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I don't appreciate the mechanic just standing with no urgency declaring how hosed the repair situation is in the last two episodes. Nobody wants to work anymore!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jabronie posted:

I don't appreciate the mechanic just standing with no urgency declaring how hosed the repair situation is in the last two episodes. Nobody wants to work anymore!

As a mechanic I can tell you even when we have a deadline that day we still have eight hours to kill. He was making sure he was getting his full day pay and OT. :v:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, Thor 2 was so drat good - now it's RUINED. /s :lol:

There are literally people that think that! That Taika ruined the dignity of the character and made him into a clown. It's wild.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

This is a rotten opinion. Taika makes some loving excellent movies. Tell me you only watch superhero movies without telling me. Have you seen Wilderpeople? Jojo Rabbit? Or the series Our Flag Means Death?

Probably not.

Taika Wars has immense potential to be good.

all of these movies are BASURA. Tell me you're an infantilized adult without telling me

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Taika is the most talented director to work on Star Wars, but he might not know what to do with it because it's such a step down for him

yeah I guess you're right, if you're like 5 years old maybe

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 23, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hakkesshu posted:

I still think it's a bit of a leap to put those two things together, but at least it's something.

I agree, but it's one of the things I can give a pass to because she's Force sensitive and they're all about following their intuition and making impossible guesses.

But what the show desperately needed was a shot of her holding the holothing up and listening to Bail Organa talking about the kids and looking confused for a moment then seeing a lightbulb going off in her head as she makes the intuitive leap. Just to let people know, "Oh poo poo, she's worked something out. This is bad."

edit: I forgot they did cut straight to Kenobi after she picked up the holothing and showed him sensing something very bad had happened.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 23, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The REAL Goobusters posted:

all of these movies are BASURA. Tell me you're an infantilized adult without telling me

Hey buddy - go gently caress yourself and gently caress off out this thread you dumb piece of poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Bail's message said "If he's found you...if he's learned of the children..." and Reva put it together. The only children Vader would care about, the only ones who Kenobi would be striving to hide from him, would be his own.

I suppose it could have been more overt, but remember that she's one of the few people who knew Vader as Anakin Skywalker. At bare minimum if she heard anyone on Tatooine mention Luke's name, she would know for certain.

Just absolute abysmal writing from this tv show.

Vintersorg posted:

Hey buddy - go gently caress yourself and gently caress off out this thread you dumb piece of poo poo.

Average Taika Waititi fan.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maybe this is too dorky, but the premise of the last episode was just too dumb for me. By which I mean: a battleship is chasing a little freighter, with all its forward guns concentrating on blowing the freighter to bits. And the people on the freighter are debating how they're going to get out of this for like 20 minutes. I had no idea Star Destroyers were so lovely.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Also there wasn’t a single transport that could have gone after the refugees while Vader and the destroyer went after Kenobi, or vice versa? This show was moronic

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

God drat just the absolute shittiest opinions in a Star Wars thread of all places. Titanic beacon of rancid awful takes.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah! We like good movies around here and Thor was amazing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah! We like good movies around here and Thor was amazing.

Do you like the Star Wars movies. Those were good

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

There are literally people that think that! That Taika ruined the dignity of the character and made him into a clown. It's wild.

Thor did get turned into a joke but I wouldn't say I blame Taika for that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You want to know how you fix the clusterfuck that was that duel?
I like your idea.

CelticPredator posted:

Reva wanted to kill luke out of revenge to hurt obi wan for not being there to save her or something

Yeah it’s a stretch.
I assumed she was going to kidnap Luke to use him against Vader, or use him to force Obi-Wan to help her against Vader. Instead of what we got.

CODChimera posted:

obi wan put a tracker on vader, that's why he didn't kill him
That would at least be a callback to their training flashbacks, instead of Obi-Wan just outclassing Vader by invoking the Power of Love.

That DICK! posted:

yeah but finally we got to see how leia got her trademark holster from return of the jedi. i remember thinking as a kid during return of the jedi, why's she wearing that? where'd that come from? sure enough, 40 years later, disney delivers
Han's dice, Leia's holster. I assume we'll eventually get a Luke show where we learn how he got his signature, trademark, iconic binoculars.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Halloween Jack posted:

Maybe this is too dorky, but the premise of the last episode was just too dumb for me. By which I mean: a battleship is chasing a little freighter, with all its forward guns concentrating on blowing the freighter to bits. And the people on the freighter are debating how they're going to get out of this for like 20 minutes. I had no idea Star Destroyers were so lovely.

Hah, they totally scoped out that scene specifically to avoid this joke from a 15-year-old Family Guy episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UDeZ-H8QOU

Goddamn transport was bouncing all over the place from the POV of the star destroyer.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Halloween Jack posted:

Han's dice, Leia's holster. I assume we'll eventually get a Luke show where we learn how he got his signature, trademark, iconic binoculars.

Padme is alive and crept into the Lars farm to sneak them into Luke's room before going to the unknown regions to fight a threat even greater than Vader.

Jar Jar is there too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Halloween Jack posted:

The way it was shown was weird too. I rewatched last night and while they are under fire inside it's treated like it's a mild thunderstorm outside and Leia is comforting a child to relax while under fire from a massive Star Destroyer. The tone was way off.

E: Reminded me of the airport scene in Godzilla 2014 with the guy relaxing the kid cause the train lost power but they have a realistic response of a giant monster and the military shooting around them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZMKMoPpVAo

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jedi Fallen Order is just a much better version of this exact same story (Jedi in hiding has to reconnect with the Force and regain his powers in order to do a thing).

I had problems with the ending of that game but it’s still better than what we got here

if they absolutely had to make an Obi-Wan series set in between episodes III and IV, they should have just told a self-contained story about Obi-Wan coming out of hiding to protect Force-sensitive kids from the Inquisitors or whatever, and limited Vader and any other characters from the OT to the periphery. but making the whole thing revolve around OT nostalgia is perfectly in line with the frequently bankrupt way Disney has managed the Star Wars IP

but hey, it wasn't as boring as Book of Boba Fett, at least!

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 23, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

evobatman posted:

Anyone else experience absolutely horrible picture quality throughout the whole show, but especially in the last episode? There was blue glow blowout of the camera, and on the duel planet there was distortion in the background and some sort of horizontal banding or bars showing up. The blacks when Obi-Wan was buried were crushed all to hell and looked more like light gray. On the transport in the beginning of the episode film grain, lighting and ISO(?) varies wildly between shots in the same scene. When Reva is hunting Luke she has a halo around her, which is like the number one thing not to do in babbys first HDR tutorial.

I even downloaded the episode to double check if it was just the D+ stream that had defaulted to a low setting, but nope, same thing. Tried all the enhancements my TV could throw at the picture too, but it doesn't help when the source file is the actual problem. It looks like an HDR show mastered on SDR equipment, and when they were doing the extended range they just didn't give a poo poo.

I experienced this too, but only on the last episode. The rest of the episodes looked fine, but the last episode, and in particular everything on the freighter that was being chased, was grainy as gently caress. Looked like it was overexposed or artificially brightened or something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

josh04 posted:

He's out of practise, sure, and also unwilling to fight Vader, but it's less like he's lost his powers and more like he's lost his mojo.

Well yeah, but there isn't really a moment in the show where he gets his majo back. Thats why its like a Jedi Knight 2 - he has to do the first level with just a blaster and then progress through the plot a bit to unlock his old force powers again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1539693255817928704?s=20&t=LSVhXzX8o3_fA2gOA-3igg

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

staff is like hold up we need to come up with a new story first!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Alchenar posted:

Well yeah, but there isn't really a moment in the show where he gets his majo back. Thats why its like a Jedi Knight 2 - he has to do the first level with just a blaster and then progress through the plot a bit to unlock his old force powers again.

Oh yeah definitely with the similarity to a video game, I was just wondering if I'd forgotten a scene where Obi-wan tells someone he's had his force-phone-line disconnected, to which the answer is: maybe?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh don't worry, by the time Rebels S4 comes 'round, rebels will be popping them literally every episode

Used to be "STAR DESTROYER OH gently caress RUN" and now it's "STAR DESTROYER gently caress YES FREE KILL"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

a lot of problems with this show could have been fixed if they had simply cast legend of sound and stage debra wilson

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

Also there wasn’t a single transport that could have gone after the refugees while Vader and the destroyer went after Kenobi, or vice versa? This show was moronic

Remember how in Spaceballs we learn that evil always wins because good is dumb?

Turns out that evil is also dumb, in Star Wars

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Barry Convex posted:

if they absolutely had to make an Obi-Wan series set in between episodes III and IV, they should have just told a self-contained story about Obi-Wan coming out of hiding to protect Force-sensitive kids from the Inquisitors or whatever, and limited Vader and any other characters from the OT to the periphery. but making the whole thing revolve around OT nostalgia is perfectly in line with the frequently bankrupt way Disney has managed the Star Wars IP

but hey, it wasn't as boring as Book of Boba Fett, at least!
Nope he had to save Leia

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The show was fun but I'm not sure what Obi Wan's arc was besides learning Darth Vader is bad.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

smoobles posted:

The show was fun but I'm not sure what Obi Wan's arc was besides learning Darth Vader is bad.

Learning that Anakin was alive, reconnect with the Force, become a Jedi again, face Vader, appeal to Anakin, learn that Anakin is dead, save the children

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

This is extremely established star war canon

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Star destroyers are typically crazy well armed on the broadside but don't have good rear or forward guns.

They're intended as poo poo that fights capital ship to capital ship instead of chasing down single frigates.

Now as for why the imperials keep deploying them without y'know, cruisers or adequate TIE support.

That's because the imperials are loving stupid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

I don’t think there’s going to be a season 2. There’s been no official announcements and the claims have come from not-so-reputable sites. I think they may have just ended it. I’m sure we’ll see Reva in Fallen Order 2 now.

e: just came across this so I think it’s pretty much confirmed there’s no season 2 right now. Hopefully if it does get green lit whatever issues they had with this season that may have been due to corona, or just seeing the reception of this season, they’ll get back to Mando quality for you guys.

Obi-Wan: How many times are we going to do this, Anakin?!

Vader: UNTIL I KILL YOU!

[15 years later]

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

GarudaPrime posted:

Depends on how long out in time you care about results. It's arguable that by sticking to the Jedi code and showing mercy, he lays the first brick in a foundation, one which Luke can eventually finish that brings Anakin back to the light and frees the galaxy from Palpatine.

mcmagic posted:

So Obi Wan is basically responsible for everything Vader does after this point in time huh?
Kenobi spares Vader because Yoda gave him the same advice he would later give Luke: I know Darth Vader's really got you annoyed, but remember: if you kill him, then you'll be unemployed.

site posted:

i wish vader yelled "intensify forward firepower!" like that guy in rotj because i always found his cadence funny.
Keep firing, Assholes!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

Star destroyers are typically crazy well armed on the broadside but don't have good rear or forward guns.

They're intended as poo poo that fights capital ship to capital ship instead of chasing down single frigates.

Now as for why the imperials keep deploying them without y'know, cruisers or adequate TIE support.

That's because the imperials are loving stupid.

The writing is real bad is all you had to say.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Usually Star Wars makes me say "PEW PEW!" but this just made me say "P.U.!"

*smug vader helmet emoji*

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

As with nearly everything else in the series, that scene provides an origin story for a popular ST character: the extremely slow-speed space chase that doesn't really make any sense, from Episode 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Halloween Jack posted:

this has never been the plot of a star wars film before