Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He can probably do whatever he wants, but he called the game his life's work so he's probably there voluntarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

ImpAtom posted:

The Twin's mom may be the best character in the game. I just want an entire plotline where she follows us along and tells us embarrassing stories about her family.

:same:

Her embarrassing anecdotes about Fourchenault actually made me warm up to him a bit despite my minor grudge over (EW spoilers)him disowning Alphinaud and Alisaie.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm particularly fond of the anecdote about him and Alphinaud baking ginger cookies all day to try and cheer Alisaie up after he missed the twins' graduation. It's nice to see he was trying, you know?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I liked when she caught him sneaking around the forbidden archives and she only agreed to keep it quiet if he took her on a date :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Emissary posted:

:same:

Her embarrassing anecdotes about Fourchenault actually made me warm up to him a bit despite my minor grudge over (EW spoilers)him disowning Alphinaud and Alisaie.

The stories she paints about their romance also sounds unreasonably adorable, but I admit I have a weakness from Grumpy and Sunshine types.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

rantmo posted:

A Red Mage without a panache is a sad sight.

Personally I'm quite fond of my Chocobo-keteer

(bit of an older pic, i've changed out the chocobo knife for the suzaku rapier, and changed the true linen robe to ... ShB AF chest, but yellow.)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
With the 7.0 graphical update, I would be absolutely shocked if they release another FF mmo in the next decade unless there is a massive sea-change in the market. They are clearly building for the next few console generations at least.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Yeah, FFXIV is like 8 years old now?

Compared to WOW which is already 18 years old and is still chugging along and there isn't any confirmation that there will be a new WOW 2 to replace original WOW as of yet.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
FFXI is still alive and charging people, right? Seems like XIV has plenty of life in it if SE wants it to.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guild Wars 2 is ten years old, very possibly done with proper expansions and they have yet to hunt at a sequel.

As much as I'm liking FF14, I miss the feeling of being on the ground floor of an MMO.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

shoc77 posted:

Yeah, FFXIV is like 8 years old now?

Compared to WOW which is already 18 years old and is still chugging along and there isn't any confirmation that there will be a new WOW 2 to replace original WOW as of yet.

1.0 is 12 years old, 2.0 is 9 years old in August.

Consummate Professional posted:

FFXI is still alive and charging people, right? Seems like XIV has plenty of life in it if SE wants it to.

Also yes.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Inzombiac posted:

As much as I'm liking FF14, I miss the feeling of being on the ground floor of an MMO.

There's still the mysterious League of Legends MMO in the works.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

reject crimson tradition.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
What shouldn't surprise too many people, they've announced revisions to the housing ward classifications. The changes will hit on July 10th. FC housing will be wards 1-9 and private housing 10-24.

There is a note that this will not be the case for the new EU worlds, and that more information about that will be coming later.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Vitamean posted:

reject crimson tradition.

turn in your job stone and rapier, you're off the force

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Not unexpected development re. Personal housing: https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1539926268556107777?t=6bk9l968108VFsXhU1o4OQ&s=19

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Onean posted:

What shouldn't surprise too many people, they've announced revisions to the housing ward classifications. The changes will hit on July 10th. FC housing will be wards 1-9 and private housing 10-24.

It isn't a surprise to anyone who reads patch notes. It will be a huge surprise to most of the people who dedicate an unreasonable amount of their posting time to complaining about MMO housing. (Not really anyone here, but definitely people on twitter and reddit)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It's happening a bit earlier than I expected. I figured we'd have to wait until at least 6.2 before they revised the FC vs. personal designation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well now for the tough decision: Do I just wait 3 weeks for that those to open up and try for a good house or put in a bid on one of the lovely smalls still available right now and hope I can then win another one to move the house

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Getting a house now doesn't make getting a house later easier, since they've changed that. I think it'd just be a waste, buying two plots.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
A small is cheap enough you might as well bid for one while waiting for a larger one to open up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onean posted:

Getting a house now doesn't make getting a house later easier, since they've changed that. I think it'd just be a waste, buying two plots.

If you don't have a house a house is better than no house

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

More or less, yeah. They've been coy with the details, but a lot of what they've mentioned (like a focus on coherent, single-minded kits) makes it sound like it's shifting more in FFXIV's general design direction compared to the previous pivot to WoW that most other MMOs did, so there still might be something to check out. I think the FFXIV team's made a pretty compelling design argument for having extremely tightly-designed classes that help to avoid the usual balancing nightmares that WoW's multiple talent trees introduced, and they've made it equally clear that having a compelling storyline in an MMO is a significant draw for a lot of people, so I suspect the League MMO's gonna take both those lessons to heart.

I think it comes down to the presentation of classes. Irrespective the lack of "clicking the boxes in the talent tree" which has been slowly dying out as a design staple because eventually the meta just finds the best combo anyway, FFXIV's classes are more like "specs" in the traditional MMO sense, in that you switch between them on the same character. Admittedly, you have to level each independently, but I've got one in every role except mDPS and I switch between them for largely the same reason I change "specs" in something like SWTOR--whatever best fits the group I'm playing with.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

He can probably do whatever he wants, but he called the game his life's work so he's probably there voluntarily.

The man is basically a legend at this point given what he accomplished. He's basically cemented his legacy and anything he does now is just victory laps unless he somehow loses all of his competence overnight.

Inzombiac posted:

Guild Wars 2 is ten years old, very possibly done with proper expansions and they have yet to hunt at a sequel.

I don't, but I've also heavily tempered my nostalgia for when things like WoW, SWTOR, and Guild Wars 2 were the new hotness by also remembering things like Warhammer Online, Wildstar, and Firefall. I'd much rather spend my time in something established that I can reasonably expect to still be here a year from now.

Also when I was ground-flooring MMOs I was in the 16-to-24 age demographic and in high school (WoW, Warhammer)/college (SWTOR, GW2, WS and Firefall) with plenty of disposable time. I could put up with the jank and the possibility that in 6 months the game would be getting a closure notice because the supposed WoW-killer wasn't.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If you don't have a house a house is better than no house
if you don't play the lotto you have 0 chance of getting one. if you win, you can always transfer plots later if you like a location

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol I remember when 14 came out while I was still deep into 11. people flooded over then a week later came trickling back when it was evident 1.0 was a disaster. ground floor MMO is not an enticement for me

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't get the appeal. Ground floor in an MMO means you have a game for a couple months until it inevitably dies like New World or needs you to dump out your wallet like Lost Ark. On the off chance you get into the next ARR, or even ESO/GW2, I guess you'll be good.

Unless the whole point is to play a new game in a popular burst and then leave before it tailspins into the ground.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Truly, MMO wanderers and gacha game addicts are two sides of the same coin.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you think about it, XIV is just having a multiple decade long tailspin into the ground.

I expect the game to nosedive once YoshiP leaves the project--a day I hope is far off.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't really care about character persistence so to me hearing that an mmo will be dead in a year it's pretty meaningless because I simply don't think about my character as an investment in that way. If I have fun playing then that experience isn't retroactively removed in two years when the game goes away, assuming I was even still playing it. I can just play another fun game.

Ground floor stuff is fun to me because I get to explore an unknown system and world, not because I get to be the first to level cap who dominates the economy or server.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I kind of assume MMO wanderers are cursed to wander forever because what they're looking for is either a completely realistic world simulator (technologically impossible despite the big promises on the kickstarter page) or a hardcore pvp game where you can make someone lose months of progress by killing them and stealing their stuff (fails quickly because very few people want to lose months of progress by being killed and having their stuff stolen)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't get the appeal. Ground floor in an MMO means you have a game for a couple months until it inevitably dies like New World or needs you to dump out your wallet like Lost Ark. On the off chance you get into the next ARR, or even ESO/GW2, I guess you'll be good.

Unless the whole point is to play a new game in a popular burst and then leave before it tailspins into the ground.

So here is the appeal from my view - Ground floor MMO means you get the excitement of hopping into something new and unknown. For me, it doesn't matter if it is good or if I'm playing it three months from now.

It's one of the things I miss from the "old internet." Nowadays, everything is a complete known quantity before it comes out. There are no surprises. No excitement. Think back to the 90s (and even the very early 00s), back before the internet was everywhere at at everyone's fingertips at any time. Before it was the complete capitalist SEO-chasing hellscape it is now. You can probably find ancient posts on this very forum of people discussing games where they were unknown. People coming together to figure things out because you couldn't just go to a search engine and type "which boss drops chainmail bikini of +3?" because the information wasn't there.

It got less and less with single player games but MMOs were always a place of unknown adventure. The only way to really maintain that magic of the unknown is to basically not be online - but even then, a few key strokes and you'll find a wiki with every little detail.

You can look at almost any game that comes out and a week before release, you can find a million and a half youtube videos pointing out every loving secret of the game. I think the only games that can maintain any air of secrecy nowadays are Fromsoft games, but even that window is tiny at best.

One of my fondest times in MMO history was circa 2007-2009 when every also ran "WoW Killer" came out. It felt like there were new MMOs every few months. I knew I wasn't going to stick with any of them, but I tried so many because I loved chasing that high of exploring a new world that nobody knows with a bunch of other people who also don't know.

TLDR: MMO ground floor experiences are fun because you get to experience the unknown - something that is harder and harder to do in gaming.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So here is the appeal from my view - Ground floor MMO means you get the excitement of hopping into something new and unknown. For me, it doesn't matter if it is good or if I'm playing it three months from now.

It's one of the things I miss from the "old internet." Nowadays, everything is a complete known quantity before it comes out. There are no surprises. No excitement. Think back to the 90s (and even the very early 00s), back before the internet was everywhere at at everyone's fingertips at any time. Before it was the complete capitalist SEO-chasing hellscape it is now. You can probably find ancient posts on this very forum of people discussing games where they were unknown. People coming together to figure things out because you couldn't just go to a search engine and type "which boss drops chainmail bikini of +3?" because the information wasn't there.

It got less and less with single player games but MMOs were always a place of unknown adventure. The only way to really maintain that magic of the unknown is to basically not be online - but even then, a few key strokes and you'll find a wiki with every little detail.

You can look at almost any game that comes out and a week before release, you can find a million and a half youtube videos pointing out every loving secret of the game. I think the only games that can maintain any air of secrecy nowadays are Fromsoft games, but even that window is tiny at best.

One of my fondest times in MMO history was circa 2007-2009 when every also ran "WoW Killer" came out. It felt like there were new MMOs every few months. I knew I wasn't going to stick with any of them, but I tried so many because I loved chasing that high of exploring a new world that nobody knows with a bunch of other people who also don't know.

TLDR: MMO ground floor experiences are fun because you get to experience the unknown - something that is harder and harder to do in gaming.

I'll counter with my own argument that "the unknown" isn't limited to what you are entirely blind about. To me, FFXIV was the unknown circa February (I think) when I downloaded the free trial. I knew nothing about the game aside from that it was stupidly popular, had claimed WoW's throne in the wake of Blizzard's scandals, that meme about the free trial, and that it had catgirls and lots of horny people in it. Oh, and the tale of how it went from the dumpster fire of 1.0 to the most popular mainstream MMO in the world, or close enough.

Even with ten years of MMO brain trust at my fingertips and four goon guilds worth of people to chat with, everything felt fresh and crisp. The combat felt well paced and like there was weight behind it. The world was gorgeous. Crafting was engaging me for the first time ever in an MMO. Everything was well-polished, reflecting the years of work to get to this point, and I felt right at home.

More often than not, whenever I hit a piece of group content I cracked open the wiki to learn the fights. I didn't want to appear new or be a drag on my party members because I didn't know a mechanic going in blind. Fights were still interesting though because watching a video and reading the move sets is no substitute for actually experiencing the mechanic and dealing with it in real time. There were quite a few "Ooooooh, I get it now" moments after I got vaporized by something that seems obtuse in a guide, and the subsequent rush of dopamine as I correctly executed it the next time.

I went through the MSQ basically liveposting in discord's spoiler channels. Even exposed to them as I was, the MSQ was always about my personal experience with it. What is my catgirl samurai thinking in this moment? How is it making me feel to see this play out? Some parts dragged out, and often enough I kept a list of the MSQ open to know where I was in it at any given time. It was all new to me, and all about taking this dorky adventurer from no-name to god-slaying nightmare.

Thus my TL;DR: At any given time, a game is 'unknown' to people who haven't played it. You can go dig up all the information you want, but that info isn't your own experience until you make it yours by playing the game. The notion that it somehow can replace my personal experience with the game continues to be an eternal headscratcher of mine--and why I'm so militantly blasé about spoilers when spoilerchat happens.

I feel like I'm lucky I came to FFXIV when I did, because my first time experience with the game was with the game at its current best. I feel hooked on an MMO for the first time in a decade. That's a big deal to me.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
This is great.
https://twitter.com/TheFloorIsEvil/status/1500023087479275522?t=tVmZcnj8t1D_kWA6u7bR3A&s=19

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So, aside from fashion, is there any reason to have more than one character?
Assuming you only play on one server.

Also, holy poo poo I am loving how customizable the HUD is. I've never played a game that let you get this granular.

Sure, I want my chat prompt to be larger than the chat box text. Why not??

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Inzombiac posted:

No.

EDIT: Longer answer: Some people create alts to serve different purposes. There are those in the RP community that have their "raiding character" and their "roleplaying character" so they can keep each side separate and private from each other. (This is insane behavior)

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, there's something special about the period of time when people are hitting a game blind and don't have years of documentation spelling everything out. Not necessarily from a mechanical optimization perspective, but more from a "hey, what's going on over there?" perspective. It's not just hitting a game blind since you can always do that by simply not looking up stuff for a single player game, it's the group experience of everyone playing the game also experiencing the game new.

A similar experience recently was watching the world first progression in FFXIV for DSW. Just seeing what was going to be coming next was pretty exciting even if I wasn't actively doing the fight myself.

But when I was playing Aion at launch, it was cool discovering where named mobs would spawn, discovering giant collection nodes that spit out like 3x gatherables, or finding unmarked locations on the map. All stuff that wasn't super well documented.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Thus my TL;DR: At any given time, a game is 'unknown' to people who haven't played it. You can go dig up all the information you want, but that info isn't your own experience until you make it yours by playing the game. The notion that it somehow can replace my personal experience with the game continues to be an eternal headscratcher of mine--and why I'm so militantly blasé about spoilers when spoilerchat happens.

I feel like I'm lucky I came to FFXIV when I did, because my first time experience with the game was with the game at its current best. I feel hooked on an MMO for the first time in a decade. That's a big deal to me.

I get what you're saying with this and that's an absolutely fair approach. I think maybe I could have been more clear for my view - what I like is the collective unknowing - where everyone is discovering things together.

I feel like Elden Ring captured that to a small degree this year. In the main Discord server I'm in, there was an Elden Ring channel where everyone was sharing experiences and puzzling out secrets together. It allowed it to feel like a large group of people were all on this journey of discovery together. I remember back in 2012 when Fez came out, the game created a similar scene of everyone trying to understand it but no one having the answers.

I love that feeling of "we're all in this together and no one knows what we are doing or where we are going."

Basically - for me, I like groundfloor MMOs for the collective journey of discovery more than the personal one.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Inzombiac posted:

Also, holy poo poo I am loving how customizable the HUD is. I've never played a game that let you get this granular.

Sure, I want my chat prompt to be larger than the chat box text. Why not??

Unlike with World of Warcraft, FFXIV devs really doesn’t want folks using mods (gameplay mods can make communities toxic, it’s a long and controversial topic) so instead they try and and build the features mods tend to provide themselves) one of the things is the customizable hud.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

Because of the way raid lockouts work, some people have alts to play with multiple raid groups and still get drops / not deny other people drops. Or just to be able to quickly gear up multiple roles at the same time.

For the vast majority of players there's no reason to have multiple characters though, since you can do Literally Everything on one character with the sole exception of some sub level 15 sidequests based on which city you start in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mordiceius posted:

(This is insane behavior)

You're drat right it is, both characters have to go through all the same content EXCEPT for whatever 8-man Savage is currently out. That's basically double the work with no payoff.