Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

DuckConference posted:

the 7 is already getting dropped, it's not getting iOS 16

they're also dropping the apple watch series 3 even though you can still buy it

welp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

there a "large text" option slider thingy and it works quite well for just about anything you want.

it really doesnt. A lot of apps dont seem to be sensitive to the setting and for many of those that are, it causes layout issues.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

works well for email and all the core stuff tho

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
that would require devs to carry about accessibility Lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah dynamic type is opt-in and has an engineering cost, so only apple's in-house stuff and big-name apps use it right now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just rampant ageism

disgraceful imo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

born on a buy you posted:

that would require devs to carry about accessibility Lmao

this is my day job and :argh:

rotor posted:

just rampant ageism

disgraceful imo

:hmmyes:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i think the biggest reason why more apps don't have awesome accessibility is because by far the easiest, cheapest, safest, most feature risk, best dx, least risky way to make an app is with web poo poo instead of first party stuff like swiftui that has great support for it baked in. i hate this.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

i think the biggest reason why more apps don't have awesome accessibility is because by far the easiest, cheapest, safest, most feature risk, best dx, least risky way to make an app is with web poo poo instead of first party stuff like swiftui that has great support for it baked in. i hate this.

worse really is better

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

chaosbreather posted:

swiftui sucks is why op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
some dude jacked my phone at the park

so now I’m poasting from a new 13. mistakes into miracles

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

chaosbreather posted:

have you tried writing an entire app in swiftui? i don't mean a todo list tutorial.

have you tried adding support for multiple font sizes and responsive content size using interface builder?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

go play outside Skyler posted:

have you tried writing an entire app in swiftui? i don't mean a todo list tutorial.

i know it's not me but im the idiot who tried to get an enterprise app off the ground in swiftui :negative:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

besides all of which scaling and accessibility is not really among the weaknesses of web apps, done even distantly reasonably.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
every year i see what new swiftui things are announced at wwdc
every year i say "cool, it's almost usable now"
every year i remember i can't use any of the new stuff because we have to support the last 3 major ios versions
then i forget about it until the cycle repeats

anyways, dynamic type is easy in uikit too. it just gets pushed aside because:
- designers dont account for it just like they don't account for multiple screen sizes 90% of the time
- product management wants to get poo poo out asap, and "can we launch without it? we'll look into adding it after we launch feature a"

feature a launches, then the rest of the alphabet, and the list of "can we launch without it?" grows forever larger

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

accessibility remediation is like one of the most time consuming and expensive things you can attempt, and it's always just one lawsuit away

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

accessibility remediation is like one of the most time consuming and expensive things you can attempt, and it's always just one lawsuit away

that last part is the cudgel we use to get teams to test early and fix often (once teams understand the process and the techniques it fits in well with the qa release cycle). old applications are a minefield and the more you look the worse it is every time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

i can think of a few more time consuming and expensive things

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

swiftui is pretty cool conceptually and a pretty awesome pattern, but until you can write something like Pages in it it's not done yet. we only got multiline text inputs like last year and there's still no way to do even basic rich text input. i love me what outspoken anti-union antivaxer john gruber calls "mac-assed mac apps", and i always wanted to make one but holy poo poo all the ways that are supposed to make it easy and cool actually just layer complexity and all the ways to do it boring and boilerplatey are barely documented.

and the hig's morphed from being "yes this is clearly a integrated part of the system" to "this is a fairly dated looking web app with less borders" anyway so what even is a mac-assed mac app any more.

so i'm looking at stuff like Tauri which uses a native webview so apps are tiny and sip ram, lets you gently caress around with rust which i am still undecided on but it's pretty cool so far with lots of loud community support that you do not see at all for swift, and you can just fart out a full on easy-mode react frontend which has got about 6 pretty good options for even the most demanding user interface paradigm. and its a stargate sg1 reference so thats pretty loving tempting right there

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
accessibility is how I get out of doing bad ui designs constantly. oh you want the menu to appear on hover? yeah we are going to need an a11y design review. plan at least an additional two months of revisions on this.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my Macbook pro 16" 2021 straight up refuses to charge from magsafe. The charger as far as I can tell is fine, plug a usb c to c cable in there and it works, but the magsafe just dont. I am straight up not having a good time

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

call the apple store and say "my magsafe port is fucky, pls fix"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my 2015 retina mbp charges fine

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

call the apple store and say "my magsafe port is fucky, pls fix"

I did but since I’m in Denmark and we don’t exactly have apple stores it’s gonna have to be shipped somewhere and I can’t not have my work computer for however many weeks that whole show might take

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if it's your work computer, make your IT department fix it, provide a loaner, etc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or better yet, just don't do any work until it is returned

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

infernal machines posted:

this is the way

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

champagne posting posted:

my Macbook pro 16" 2021 straight up refuses to charge from magsafe. The charger as far as I can tell is fine, plug a usb c to c cable in there and it works, but the magsafe just dont. I am straight up not having a good time

yesterday I had to reboot my 14” mbp to get it it to charge and fix a tb port that acted like it was completely dear

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

if it's your work computer, make your IT department fix it, provide a loaner, etc

I should have been more precise. im a freelancer, so :rip: me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would simply take a day trip to an area on the continent that has a genius bar

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well poop

have you tried drinking whiskey about it? im not sure it'll help the situation but it might make you care less

i am achmed jones, helper extraordinaire

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

well poop

have you tried drinking whiskey about it? im not sure it'll help the situation but it might make you care less

i am achmed jones, helper extraordinaire

i can charge with usb c so the problem is managable

I think I'll just stick it out until the new macbook airs are release, buy one, send this one in to figure whats wrong and keep working. Friend of mine and fellow goon joked: My car is in the shop so I will buy a smaller car in the meantime

edit: and because of how companies work in denmark the money used for more macbook is not taxed and i get vat deducted from elsewhere on my books making it much cheaper. What I'm getting at is its the firstest of world problems

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

i can charge with usb c so the problem is managable

I think I'll just stick it out until the new macbook airs are release, buy one, send this one in to figure whats wrong and keep working. Friend of mine and fellow goon joked: My car is in the shop so I will buy a smaller car in the meantime

edit: and because of how companies work in denmark the money used for more macbook is not taxed and i get vat deducted from elsewhere on my books making it much cheaper. What I'm getting at is its the firstest of world problems

i have seen reports that monterey 12.4 makes some (but not all) m1 macsbooks pro intermittently refuse to charge from magsafe

so if it works after a reboot sometimes, there's hope that a software update will cure it

(jfc apple's software qa has gotten so bad)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BobHoward posted:

i have seen reports that monterey 12.4 makes some (but not all) m1 macsbooks pro intermittently refuse to charge from magsafe

so if it works after a reboot sometimes, there's hope that a software update will cure it

(jfc apple's software qa has gotten so bad)

all charging is refused until a reboot

magsafe doesnt work at all

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
So how safe is FileVault anyway? As I recall the last version had some serious vulnerabilities, it’s the reason I never adopted the new Mac laptops with the SSD soldered on since some of my clients are TPS and the RCMP

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
haha amazing

https://twitter.com/nanoraptor/status/1540663854564507648

https://twitter.com/nanoraptor/status/1540663873530990592

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that is some powerful posting

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

that is some powerful posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Once again, the venerable g4 cube proves out to be world's #1 mod platform