Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How did that guy not notice or hear 5 huge dudes in dress shoes going down a metal spiral staircase and get taken by surprise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

the snob opinion is that last crusade is too slick but it's the first movie i truly fell in love with as a kid. i think every beat is perfect and i like doing the moves alongside with the main character, indy

from river phoenix to the library to the rats to the castle fire to the zeppelin to the horse tank chase to the grail scene, it's the most memorable movie of all time

same

raiders was probably more novel if you were much younger and around as a kid when it came out in theater but if you’re more mid-late 80s baby you’re probably watching all 3 at once and lost crusade is definitely the most exciting and Sean Connery kicks rear end

everyone can agree temple of doom is pretty not good at least

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's aged well and very poorly in different ways but i actually think James Bond Indy in the temple of doom opening is the best intro of the franchise

god all three intro scenes are so good

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I loved the Indiana Jones tv show as a kid.

Its funny how Lucas isn't remembered more for his pioneering in anti union activity in media

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

are they going to have a flashback sequence with a CGI River Phoenix

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

late to the party but i just watched Everything Everywhere All at Once with the wife, we loved it

insane roller coaster of a movie, would recommend

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Raine posted:

late to the party but i just watched Everything Everywhere All at Once with the wife, we loved it

insane roller coaster of a movie, would recommend

saw it over the weekend myself and yeah it owned. amazing how low the budget is and looks so good compared to mega budget AAA hollywoo poo poo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

saw it over the weekend myself and yeah it owned. amazing how low the budget is and looks so good compared to mega budget AAA hollywoo poo poo

I just watched Dr strange and it was kind of an embarrassment compared to eeaao . Not that it was bad, it was just average for a lot of money

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

I just watched Halloween and Carrie as a double feature. Carrie had 10x the budget and looks dated as hell. Halloween is not without its flaws but aged very well.

And I was thinkin how far money can go if you're precise , and do the VFX yourself

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

the snob opinion is that last crusade is too slick but it's the first movie i truly fell in love with as a kid. i think every beat is perfect and i like doing the moves alongside with the main character, indy

from river phoenix to the library to the rats to the castle fire to the zeppelin to the horse tank chase to the grail scene, it's the most memorable movie of all time

i think its honestly a really good fathers day movie because sean connerys whole well of course i didnt like you since you were just a dumb boring kid but then you left as soon as you got interesting is a really good summation of the kind of guy whos a lovely dad but a great grandpa which is of course why all the kids love him while the adults just watch with clenched fists

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Xaris posted:

I've only seen Temple of Doom and I liked it but that's really not my kinda movie.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Temple of Doom is by far the weakest of the three original films largely due to the supporting cast but it's about on par with the average "franchise" movie that might come out in the 20s, maybe better

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Temple of Doom has a lot of really bad parts and a lot of parts that are gonna have you sucking air through your teeth from how incredibly uncomfortable they are, but it also has moments that gently caress harder than anything in any other indy movie, so its still a Good movie on the balance, even if that margin is pretty fuckin thin

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

I just watched Halloween and Carrie as a double feature. Carrie had 10x the budget and looks dated as hell. Halloween is not without its flaws but aged very well.

And I was thinkin how far money can go if you're precise , and do the VFX yourself

yeah also if you have seen it I watched Miracle Mile (another 80s movie) by Steve de jarnatt and it’s incredible what he did on a 3.7 million budget and looks so good because they knew exactly what he needed to do and did vfx as well. the most dated aspect is the mullet on the main chick.

Halloween owns because John carpenter is god. shame about all the sequels tho

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

im watching Midnight Movie Massacre (1988) and its a maybe 6/10 horror comedy that moves a little too slow and draws out too many jokes but it did give me this loving remarkable three seconds

https://i.imgur.com/fgEi2hH.mp4

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Temple of Doom has a lot of really bad parts and a lot of parts that are gonna have you sucking air through your teeth from how incredibly uncomfortable they are, but it also has moments that gently caress harder than anything in any other indy movie, so its still a Good movie on the balance, even if that margin is pretty fuckin thin

Completely agree with this, Temple of Doom has a killer opening complete with Jones' hubris thinking he's escaped the gangster only to reveal to the audience that the gangster actually owns the plane. It's a good gag, which is immediately followed by them falling like 100s of miles through the air on an inflatable raft and surviving.

But the movie hits hard, the bug room, the heart ripper, the broken bridge scene. These all gently caress with you in a way the others don't, except maybe muscle nazi.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Short Round: good
Screaming Willie: bad

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Completely agree with this, Temple of Doom has a killer opening complete with Jones' hubris thinking he's escaped the gangster only to reveal to the audience that the gangster actually owns the plane. It's a good gag, which is immediately followed by them falling like 100s of miles through the air on an inflatable raft and surviving.

But the movie hits hard, the bug room, the heart ripper, the broken bridge scene. These all gently caress with you in a way the others don't, except maybe muscle nazi.

i've seen this somewhat recently and the minecart scene really stands out

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mantis42 posted:

Short Round: good
Screaming Willie: bad
yeah this is true. if they had cast just about anyone other than kate capshaw and also written the character significantly less annoying and stupid it would immediately make it a ton better'

also incase anyone missed it, Short Round plays the husband of michelle yeolle in EverythingEverywhere All At Once, which is pretty cool since it was his first real major gig since basically temple of doom

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Jun 23, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

the broken bridge scene

so good

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm working my way through some 70s movies I never saw. hence carrie and a rewatch of halloween cause I don't remember it from when I was a kid. so tonight was parallax view.

it was good, needed another pass on the script to just clarify something, anything. I never had a movie feel like it was mumbling and I had to go "what? what are you saying?"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I also watched Christine which was pretty good. I like the car

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

is miracle mile the “east Berlin? EAST Berlin?!” one with the guy chasing after some girl he’s never met

update no this is a film i've never heard of called Gotcha! that jerome froese sampled for "Losing the Perspective" on Tangerine Dream's Dream Mixes 4

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i just watched the parallax view as well. i wouldn't call it an all-timer but i certainly enjoyed it. that montage scene must've been quite a sight in 1974

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

drat horror queefs posted:

There are no intellectual property rights they can claim for the image of puffins, which means no money. Slap some dumb googly eyes on them and you can IP that poo poo all day

your not thinking big enough. we sell the movie as helping save the puffins. fill the disney stores with puffin merch where some tiny percentage goes to a puffin charity that we run. the libs would eat it up

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
*waves my arms around clearly on something* I NEED YOU TO THING BIGGER FOR CHRISTS SAKE WE'LL HAVE THEM EATING OUT OF THE PALMS OF OUR HANDS.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepRaulRuizMD/status/1539390205718941705

theres an emmy for military programming?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfIbQ7BuSPE/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Apparently yes, especially if you get on the local level. You get potential Emmys for news segments on the military and then military documentary programs.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Temple of Doom is the "worst" one because it's about a religion western white people don't understand or care about, if it was about some Doom Temple involving christianity and nazis people would like it more imo

Also thinking about it its kinda funny that the ultimate evil the cultists were committing was just some mining grift using free child labor. Imagining the evil priest sitting in his office counting coal profit rupees going "I'm rich biotch!!!"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

would watch a young indy in fascist italy movie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Justin Tyme posted:

Temple of Doom is the "worst" one because it's about a religion western white people don't understand or care about, if it was about some Doom Temple involving christianity and nazis people would like it more imo

I'm not saying this is inaccurate, and it's been idk at least a decade since I've seen Temple of Doom, but this is funny to me because the criticism I've heard most frequently about ToD before this post was that it's insanely racist.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'm not saying this is inaccurate, and it's been idk at least a decade since I've seen Temple of Doom, but this is funny to me because the criticism I've heard most frequently about ToD before this post was that it's insanely racist.

Oh it definitely is super racist with poo poo like the monkey brain meal but its also most criticised in general, and not liking it because it isn't about nazis and christianity can be construed as racist from a certain point of view. A sort of mix between "the production and presentation is racist" as well as "the public reception is racist"

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Jun 23, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

i've seen this somewhat recently and the minecart scene really stands out

Half of that scene was puppetry! it's incredible!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Half of that scene was puppetry! it's incredible!

me reading this post and watching the Re:View of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? that just dropped: we used to build poo poo in this country, make poo poo...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Xaris posted:

same

raiders was probably more novel if you were much younger and around as a kid when it came out in theater but if you’re more mid-late 80s baby you’re probably watching all 3 at once and lost crusade is definitely the most exciting and Sean Connery kicks rear end

raiders and last crusade are both good, but i think i suffer from TBS syndrome where it seems like that's the only movie that station ever played so ive seen it way too much.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

me reading this post and watching the Re:View of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? that just dropped: we used to build poo poo in this country, make poo poo...

Yeah I need to rewatch Roger Rabbit

I miss the old discovery channel show Movie Magic where they showed how all those special effects were done. My best friend growing up wanted to do special effects in movies but that was before CGI took over everything

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
also maybe someone can answer this but why do tv shows seem to have like 500 producers now. strange new worlds opening credits is 90% producers. maybe just a paramount/cbs/trek thing?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dreylad posted:

raiders and last crusade are both good, but i think i suffer from TBS syndrome where it seems like that's the only movie that station ever played so ive seen it way too much.

thank goodness we stopped letting faceless corporate programmers determine the taste and direction of the popular culture zeitgeist

now if youll excuse me i need to get back to my youtube videos which i definitely select independent of any nefarious outside influence whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dreylad posted:

also maybe someone can answer this but why do tv shows seem to have like 500 producers now. strange new worlds opening credits is 90% producers. maybe just a paramount/cbs/trek thing?

all the mergers tripled each company's roster of useless fucks who want their names in the credits/their cut of the take