Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
weird tangent to fly off on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
very excited to play as Clive Sixteen and see how he develops, both in power, and emotionally, throughout the decades.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I think it's also tied into the long tradition of Arthurian legend/Tolkien fantasy/Shakespearean drama being Very British that engrains the unconscious sentiment from Americans of "if it's old timey and European it should sound British"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Expecting a whole lot of 'I don't give a mummer's arse' style dialogue

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I think it's also tied into the long tradition of Arthurian legend/Tolkien fantasy/Shakespearean drama being Very British that engrains the unconscious sentiment from Americans of "if it's old timey and European it should sound British"

Also, like, we speak English. It’s not weird to think of Europe and use the accents of the people who speak English natively, who we have the closest cultural ties to

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mordiceius posted:

I am mainly referring to the idea that British accent = authority.

Show a documentary with an American narrator and then show the same documentary with a British narrator - I bet most Americans would consider the latter more authoritative.

I wouldn't call it a fetishistic view of Europeans, but it's not too far off.

I mean, us Americans are stupid for a variety of different reasons. This is just one of them.

Except this isn't a documentary, it's a medieval fantasy. And yes, I think most people equate medieval swords-and-sorcery with Europe, and in particular with Arthurian legend, which is logical.

As for why people like hearing British accents in their documentaries, it's because a "proper" or "posh" British accent sounds sophisticated and educated, and education = they know what they're talking about. A cockney accent wouldn't have the same impact because it sounds unsophisticated.

American accents don't really have the same divide. You have the "Southern" = uneducated trope, but "normal" American doesn't imply any sophistication or education to Americans.

edit: slow reply.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not logical, it’s arbitrary. Which isn’t a big deal, a lot of things are arbitrary

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
uk just the texas of europe. they arent fancy anymore

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Frankly I like getting UK VAs because they tend to have a background in stage acting so they can be enjoyably dramatic. I’m also deeply tired of the same few LA based actors. They aren’t bad they’re just in everything

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

British accent isn't really the only one there's an inherent sort of assumption about either, in the US. People have assumptions about Southern drawls, inner city slang, strong Midwestern accents, etc.

British accents just kind of fall into the "Posh, authoritative when it comes to knowledge, and fantasy" niches there.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not logical, it’s arbitrary. Which isn’t a big deal, a lot of things are arbitrary

How is it "arbitrary" equating British accents with medieval fantasy when the most well-known (in America) ancient and influential medieval fantasy is Arthurian, with literal magic swords and wizards and sorceresses?

That's not what arbitrary means....

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Frankly I like getting UK VAs because they tend to have a background in stage acting so they can be enjoyably dramatic. I’m also deeply tired of the same few LA based actors. They aren’t bad they’re just in everything

I miss Ocean dubs for anime. I can't even remember the last one I listened to.... Unless the Inuyasha sequel had it? Hm. I didn't watch that past Episode 1, though

Also Gabranth's and Cid's Englis VAs are what made XII's voice-acting amazing. They didn't even get Gabranth's VA back for Dissidia. He's just an all time great voice in a video game in one game and that's it.

In any event, they should just do Dragon Age Origins' thing like I said earlier and have different accents for different regions.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AngryRobotsInc posted:

British accent isn't really the only one there's an inherent sort of assumption about either, in the US. People have assumptions about Southern drawls, inner city slang, strong Midwestern accents, etc.

British accents just kind of fall into the "Posh, authoritative when it comes to knowledge, and fantasy" niches there.

There’s also Scottish and Irish accents which translate to “funny guy who’s maybe more in touch with nature and really likes to drink and fight”

Americans have no assumptions about the Welsh because we forget that Wales exists

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I didn't realize there were people very concerned with VA accents to the point that YoshiP has bowed to their tyranny.

I mean I guess I liked the VA in the first Xenoblade because it was different so that was neato. I do get the point about being able to place a lot of American VA's because the well known ones pop up in everything but Americans needing British VA for documentaries and fantasy stuff is kind of :aloom:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Probably this. Every language has an "old-timey" variant that may not be realistic but it's associated with medieval/old stuff, like in Spanish it's 1500s stuff like Quixote or Lope de Vega's plays.

It's just that for Americans that'd be Britain, so British accents.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s also Scottish and Irish accents which translate to “funny guy who’s maybe more in touch with nature and really likes to drink and fight”

Americans have no assumptions about the Welsh because we forget that Wales exists

elden ring’s corrected that somewhat

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Schwartzcough posted:

How is it "arbitrary" equating British accents with medieval fantasy when the most well-known (in America) ancient and influential medieval fantasy is Arthurian, with literal magic swords and wizards and sorceresses?

That's not what arbitrary means....

Authorial isn’t medieval Authorian legend in that most people are aware of it is pre medieval. During the Saxon invasion to be precise

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Medieval as most people think of it is post Norman conquest

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's odd, given that's 1066 and Western Roman Empire fell in 476....

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

OddObserver posted:

Americans are taught that the medieval era was from about 1100 until the Renaissance - or at least, that's how many believe.

Ask your average American what was going on between 500ce-1000ce and their brain would probably short circuit.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CharlestheHammer posted:

Authorial isn’t medieval Authorian legend in that most people are aware of it is pre medieval. During the Saxon invasion to be precise

No they aren’t. If you asked most Americans when the Saxon invasion was they’d have a 50/50 chance of even knowing that was a thing!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Troy Baker should voice everyone in the game, including the women and children. Doesn’t even need to modify his voice.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Troy Baker should voice everyone in the game, including the women and children. Doesn’t even need to modify his voice.

Come on now, you've got to leave a little room for Laura Bailey

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

OddObserver posted:

When do you think the medieval period started….because it has is usually roughly between 1000 and 15th to 16th century.

You know when feudalism as a concept was a thing rather than the pre period when it was a bunch of ad hoc systems set up in the collapse of the empire

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one of the most highly regarded western fantasy RPGs for dialogue ever has the main character with an American accent (lol)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

elden ring’s corrected that somewhat

im never replaying an AC ever again but it was in Assassins Creed 4 too, though not a thick Welsh accent

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 invented the Welsh Catgirl and frankly, I think every Welshman should have cat ears

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mordiceius posted:

Americans are taught that the medieval era was from about 1100 until the Renaissance - or at least, that's how many believe.

Ask your average American what was going on between 500ce-1000ce and their brain would probably short circuit.
I think they'd get it right with their answer of "I dunno, poo poo sucked?"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think they'd get it right with their answer of "I dunno, poo poo sucked?"

"Everyone lived in poor villages, then there was Rome, which killed Jesus and fell because Julius Caesar died. Then poo poo sucked. Then the Renaissance happened." -Your average American's knowledge of European history, probably.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Which is leagues of understanding more than the history of our own continent, because lol colonialism.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I play everything in Japanese anyway

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Medieval as most people think of it is "that time with a bunch of castles and swords and catapults and poo poo."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Medieval is just Dragon's Dogma, including the mythical monsters imo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Come on now, you've got to leave a little room for Laura Bailey

Just no more Steve Blum please god

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dubs were, are, and will always be a mistake.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where does FFXVI fall in this, given that all the mo-cap was done in English first despite the script being originally written in Japanese

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Dubs were, are, and will always be a mistake.

I think games are a medium where dubs do serve a practical function, in modern live action games there's plenty of contexts where it's just not practical to read subs, like combat dialogue or radio chatter where gameplay occurs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah subtitles do add a distancing effect but i'll still generally prefer them though i've seen some really good english dubs in games

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dubs are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

one of the most highly regarded western fantasy RPGs for dialogue ever has the main character with an American accent (lol)

What game are you talking about, out of curiosity?