Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
I spent the last of my ethereum updating my ENS address to actually have content in it. I only bought two years worth of it and so far the benefits are literally nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I decided to check in on my babby thread about scammers and stupidity. Seems that things are better than they were but still not good. Looks like a lot of people in here are about to cum but the crypto market is really into edging.

This video popped up in my feed today. It's from a better time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That sound you hear is the usdc printer warming up. Gotta keep this clown show above 20k

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Zil posted:

https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/56643-hostess-debuts-twinkcoin-snack-cakes

They had to know right, seriously, how did this make it past a committee?

Those fools, somebody should have told them it's a bear market.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hell yeah, let's all not watch the video to the end! There isn't a very important qualifier at 8:13!!!

i mean there is; sorry this comes up in the gpu thread all the time lol

the first generation of mining hosed cards super super hard - heat is bad for components. run your components at high heat and you're significantly cutting into longevity, period. eth was i think designed both to explicitly target GPU mining and avoid this with it's weird VRAM targeting implementation - instead of overclocking the snot out of the core you actually significantly downclock it, defacto undervolting it on nvidia cards, then put a bunch on the VRAM.

this means that these cards, unless they had other climate issues (ie were in a badly designed mining farm with no ac) probably operated in the 40s or 50s maybe with an aggressive fan curve? that's well within operational limits and the cards people are talking (30 series) about are max less than 2 years old. 24 hour operation means the fans will need replacing much sooner but fans don't last forever and are supposed to be user serviced, same with thermal paste. GPUs that survive their warranty period and are taken care of going a decade or more is very common, they've become quite robust and intelligent at thermally throttling to prevent damage. if two years of mining drops that lifeline to say 8 years, do you care? will you still be using that 3080 in 2028?

get a good reduction because you are taking on more risk, like with any secondhand product. but if the previous owner was honest and the price is right i wouldn't mind buying a 30 series miner at all.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

In all normal parts of society we acknowledge that random people who happen to be good at playing pretend and living in a bubble in Hollywood are maybe not the most knowledgeable about life in general, but when it comes to a highly complex technical financial/technical field people on both sides of the aisle feel that their input on cryptocurrency is relevant.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Someone in the GPU thread snagged a 3080 for $600 and the dude was looking to offload more of them for that price.

:shrug:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
See what happens is they react to things like a normal person and then someone approaches their agent with a giant stack of cash that they have to do absolutely nothing to receive except stop reacting to the thing like a normal person and instead give a thumbs up to on camera once or twice

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Arrrthritis posted:

:dudsmile:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Arrrthritis posted:

:golfclap:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And a bottom one at that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lmao imagine reading this to a normie. just a regular person. hell just read it back to yourself. what trhe gently caress lol

It is quite likely that the slurp juice tweet, made on the morning of May 3rd and reaching viral mainstream news coverage by the next day, precipitated the current crash through its raw inscrutability.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

It is quite likely that the slurp juice tweet, made on the morning of May 3rd and reaching viral mainstream news coverage by the next day, precipitated the current crash through its raw inscrutability.

lol

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Elerion posted:

In all normal parts of society we acknowledge that random people who happen to be good at playing pretend and living in a bubble in Hollywood are maybe not the most knowledgeable about life in general, but when it comes to a highly complex technical financial/technical field people on both sides of the aisle feel that their input on cryptocurrency is relevant.

Personally I think playing pretend and living in a bubble are excellent qualifications for working in cryptocurrency

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Arrrthritis posted:

Zil posted:

https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/56643-hostess-debuts-twinkcoin-snack-cakes

They had to know right, seriously, how did this make it past a committee?
And a bottom one at that.

You would say that, Marshal Prolapse.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Not gonna lie, kinda bummed about LCD Soundsystem. Don't you guys have enough money to not sell your soul to perform to 100 complete dorks that are barely paying attention, c'mon man.

you know what's worse than playing ape fest:

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1539708458974552073

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
We all gotta eat. *shrug*

btw who was the person whose neighbor was trying to steal his kids' personal info for some shitcoin called "nugencoin"? Apparently run by some sad old grifter that wanted to pivot to the hip, new grift the kids are all talking about.

I mean cmon, would those faces lie to you?

The face of a man that's just brimming with sincerity

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CoolCab posted:

i mean there is; sorry this comes up in the gpu thread all the time lol

the first generation of mining hosed cards super super hard - heat is bad for components. run your components at high heat and you're significantly cutting into longevity, period. eth was i think designed both to explicitly target GPU mining and avoid this with it's weird VRAM targeting implementation - instead of overclocking the snot out of the core you actually significantly downclock it, defacto undervolting it on nvidia cards, then put a bunch on the VRAM.

this means that these cards, unless they had other climate issues (ie were in a badly designed mining farm with no ac) probably operated in the 40s or 50s maybe with an aggressive fan curve? that's well within operational limits and the cards people are talking (30 series) about are max less than 2 years old. 24 hour operation means the fans will need replacing much sooner but fans don't last forever and are supposed to be user serviced, same with thermal paste. GPUs that survive their warranty period and are taken care of going a decade or more is very common, they've become quite robust and intelligent at thermally throttling to prevent damage. if two years of mining drops that lifeline to say 8 years, do you care? will you still be using that 3080 in 2028?

get a good reduction because you are taking on more risk, like with any secondhand product. but if the previous owner was honest and the price is right i wouldn't mind buying a 30 series miner at all.

Even back when Bitcoin miners were cooking cards to death, the gpu thread advice was to get one where the warranty goes by build date and work the shipping cost to MSI/EVGA/whoever's warranty department into your budget.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/fxhedgers/status/1539840505315438592?s=21&t=pFZmIb6SbMqhRhYPw_YtXw

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

HolHorsejob posted:

btw who was the person whose neighbor was trying to steal his kids' personal info for some shitcoin called "nugencoin"? Apparently run by some sad old grifter that wanted to pivot to the hip, new grift the kids are all talking about.

Wow!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

HolHorsejob posted:

You're missing the best part, his name is actually "Mr. Crookston" according to that article

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Wow holy poo poo lol

quote:

David Crookston left the company on bad terms in mid 2016. This prompted Austin to publicly air dirty laundry about him.

In a bizarre turn of events, Austin did this by impersonating yours truly on a fake BehindMLM website.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1539818170458030080

https://twitter.com/Cointelegraph/status/1538765856464769025
https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1539749919636029440

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

luv 2 c it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

GoutPatrol posted:

not to body shame, but this picture looks like moving from the center out everyone is getting wider

maybe it is a fisheye lens?

Guy on the left: ”the camera adds 450 pounds”

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

HolHorsejob posted:

quote:

A 10% commission is paid on Nugen Coins invested in by personally recruited affiliates. That’s on top of any MLM commissions earned through ShopFreeMart.
and there we go, thats why the scammy neighbor wanted the personal info of literal children

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, basically all this poo poo's got pyramid scheme style incentives built in. And giving you funbux that can only be spent at the company store is how FOMO gets its hooks in.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

HolHorsejob posted:

He kind of looks like a Walter White/Larry David mashup.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Sashimi posted:

He kind of looks like a Walter White/Larry David mashup.

Thank you for putting this into words, I couldn't work out why the face looked so familiar haha.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I was thinking Junior Soprano.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.siliconera.com/square-enix-plans-to-create-story-focused-nfts/

Square’s President still focused on making this happen

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

bobjr posted:

Lol. They tried to stop the rumors that they sold Eidos and all that IP to pursue NFTs only to do this.

In reality it was because they lost a bunch of money on AAA games that even sold well. Between that and this poo poo Square has got to have one of the worst management in the industry. They're probably being kept afloat by gacha games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pretty sure they're being kept afloat by the money printer that is final fantasy xiv, their subscription based mmo that unseated world of warcraft as the biggest mmo in the world like, 2 years ago. it's basically their fortnite

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

So I got curious and looked up Voyager's 3/31/22 interim financials (available here, on the Canadian equivalent to EDGAR), and at that time, they had about $5.5 billion in "crypto and fiat" liabilities for funds/assets deposited by customers. They had only $99 million in unrestricted cash and equivalents on hand (plus another $110m or so in cash on customer deposits). Of the $5.4 billion worth of cryptos they had, they had loaned out $2 billion, a full third of which we now know went to 3AC.

The BankMan's loans to Voyager are nominally worth about $500 mil today, so that plus their cash on hand does not even cover the potential hole left by their $655 mil loan to 3AC. So even with the Bankman's emergency loans, seems to me like they've got two problems now:

1) if their customers start pulling out USDC or bitcoins and they use the bankman's loans to cover those withdrawals, they're still left with a huge loan to the bankman and no way to repay it. this is not a bailout, this is just stalling for time before Voyager decides which one of its creditors (which include their customers) to stiff.

2) if their customers start selling for cash within the Voyager exchange, there is not much cash left before they'd crash the prices within the exchange (unless Voyager gets a cash infusion from somewhere else), assuming Voyager is actually segregating between real cash and USDC on its customer-facing trading platform. If, say, Voyager is hypothetically doing something very silly and not accurately discriminating between real cash trades and USDC trades on its customer-facing platform - in order to make it look like there's more liquidity available for trading than there actually is - then there's not much real cash to cover a potential bank run if customers start pulling out real cash.

(also, somehow this crypto exchange-slash-investment bank has not turned a profit for at least the last four years? the hell have you guys been doing that your combined exchange/cryptobank couldn't skim a profit during that insane crypto bull market???)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

pretty sure they're being kept afloat by the money printer that is final fantasy xiv, their subscription based mmo that unseated world of warcraft as the biggest mmo in the world like, 2 years ago. it's basically their fortnite

One wonders what their situation would be like had they not made the rather gutsy call to basically redo the entire game after its initial launch.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Planet X posted:

We'll see how many "frens" they have once they start getting rounded up by whatever entities that want their (real) money.

I hate the whole thing

"hurrdur lel hay guyz Funds R Safu amirite:downs:?" *loses entire life savings*

*gets evicted*
"le epic fail!1!1!1"

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 25, 2022

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

bobjr posted:

Wait, didn't Squeenix say just a week ago say there had been a change of plans and they weren't investing in NFT gaming anymore?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Tech companies are designed to hide any profit so that their valuation can reach thousands of millions. Hedge funds don’t have that incentive, they’re lying for another reason or really really stupid

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Viscous Soda posted:

Wait, didn't Squeenix say just a week ago say there had been a change of plans and they weren't investing in NFT gaming anymore?

"It’s still a bit too early to consider making Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy blockchain games, and we’re not at the stage of thinking about that yet."

we (the consumer frog) were unwilling to accept the NFTs immediately (being dunked into boiling water) so they will instead back off (put us in cold water) and gradually add the NFTs over time (slowly boil us alive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Look at this awful poo poo I'm witnessing on my lunch break,

There was other awful poo poo too, numerous food trucks with this monkey poo poo all over it and the side of the building is a big derivative monkey