Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
there are also religious reasons, it's difficult to know where moral panic ends and documented reality begins but it does exist at some level. a grim business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1539975911407116291

https://twitter.com/The_TUC/status/1539905606429155333

:sickos:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 23, 2022

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1539926175480414208?t=UBcPW8r8kkfo_fCf3LrWDQ&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That may be correct this time next year.

https://twitter.com/BadDataTakes/status/1539595113944563714

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
God drat it, stop making me feel hopeful. A sudden surge in class consciousness in the UK, an articulate and likeable figurehead for the trade union movement slowly becoming a household name, more unions voting for strike action ugggh

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
ah yes, the mean median wage, classic reliable measure of mathematics

Guavanaut posted:

That may be correct this time next year.

that would still be the mean wage, median of the hypothetical 4-worker rail sector would be about £42k

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angepain posted:

ah yes, the mean median wage, classic reliable measure of mathematics

that would still be the mean wage, median of the hypothetical 4-worker rail sector would be about £42k

They should really be highlighting the mode of transport

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Made me proper nostalgic for the days of Penis PenisPenis.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

:lmao: I had forgot that Owen Smith existed

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I enjoy that he disclaims being a marxist and then immediately follows it by explaining marxist theory of worker/employer relations.

I have a feeling that he just avoids a term he knows is used to mean "Stalinist" by people with lead-addled brains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh sure like I cannot imagine that he is unfamiliar with marx, just funny, especially that any interviewer that knows the first thing about marxism outside of a scary word would be able to pick up on it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm not making near £34,998. Unless they're including the supervisors who are paid a lot more than the rank and file. Maybe counting the money given to agencies before they pass it down to the trackmen.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

bessantj posted:

I'm not making near £34,998. Unless they're including the supervisors who are paid a lot more than the rank and file. Maybe counting the money given to agencies before they pass it down to the trackmen.

Yeah at least for Northern they are 5k too high for drivers and 3k-ish high for conductors, all other on board staff earn significantly less and with poorer contract conditions. And they are the biggest TOC (in terms of service numbers) outside of TFL.

Also worth noting conductors used to make a nice extra with 5% comission on all on board sales, but eventually someone climbing the greasy pole to Finance Director decided that was too high a price to pay so pledged to make it virtually impossible to board a train without a ticket at most stations, and face severe penalties for doing so when it does happen. Compare that to 2008 when I easily cleared £2000 (a tidy £100!) takings on a monday morning shift. They have been given a deal to get payment per eticket scan but the process is unreliable and a few pence per scan.

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 23, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Jesus this sounds awful.

Also I welcome more strike action taking place, everywhere and all the time.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1539867888563232768

Oh no the media sharks smell blood and have found what they'll latch on to in order to destroy Mick Lynch

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jesus Christ that is an absolute hack job of a question. "Let me ask you a complex question and four words in I'm going to cut you off"

Shameless.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
FBPEs would have found a reason to turn on him anyway, I'm just thankful nobody started talking about gametes, and the red tops can hardly use "bad trade union thug did brexit" as an attack line.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not too surprising that a guy who wants the public services taken back into public ownership would see leaving the EU as a positive thing in terms of barriers to renationalisation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also FBPE was clearly just an anti-Corbyn psy-op as you could tell from the way Keith took office and immediately said "Brexit? who cares" and no-one batted an eye.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Keir is the puppet shadow government.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

brexit actually is working pretty well for northern ireland

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

brexit actually is working pretty well for northern ireland

Never expected old N.I. to be nearly equal to London in anything.... nor the rest to be so far behind, behold the Brexit Benefit!! :sotw:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Also FBPE was clearly just an anti-Corbyn psy-op as you could tell from the way Keith took office and immediately said "Brexit? who cares" and no-one batted an eye.

Absolutely not, they are still there raging away all day every day.

Earlier today some Lord posted that the changes to the HRA are the worst infringement on human rights in Britain for 1,000 years and rather than bring up say, the expulsion of the Jews, it was just hundreds of FBPE replies going “what about Brexit???”

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh, sure, but those are the idiot rubes that got worked into a frenzy for the benefit of the rich; they can be safely ignored by those in power now that they've served their purpose, it's neither here nor there if they continue believing that anyone actually gives a poo poo about their opinion.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

FBPEs would have found a reason to turn on him anyway, I'm just thankful nobody started talking about gametes, and the red tops can hardly use "bad trade union thug did brexit" as an attack line.

I’m obviously behind, I thought all progressives were uniting behind him?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh, sure, but those are the idiot rubes that got worked into a frenzy for the benefit of the rich; they can be safely ignored by those in power now that they've served their purpose, it's neither here nor there if they continue believing that anyone actually gives a poo poo about their opinion.

i'll have you know i went to universities and did LOTS AND LOTS of degrees and lots and lots of hard modules like clever wizard dumbledores at hogfarts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

i worked very very very hard to be a gobshite on twitter all day :mad:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Almost every one of these was an experience of "huh, haven't heard anything from that oval office in a while" and then you realise it doesn't even matter because there's an endless parade of shiny new cunts to take their place :smith:

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

TACD posted:

Almost every one of these was an experience of "huh, haven't heard anything from that oval office in a while" and then you realise it doesn't even matter because there's an endless parade of shiny new cunts to take their place :smith:

I was very pro Chukka Ummuna for a while and seeing he now works for an investment bank is pretty loving miserable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I was very pro Chukka Ummuna for a while and seeing he now works for an investment bank is pretty loving miserable.

I'm sorry, what on earth possessed you to be pro-the-most-Blairite-man-this-side-of-Tony-Blair?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I was very pro Chukka Ummuna for a while

Gross. Why?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The whole chuktig thing was very funny in hindsight. Forming your own party, getting other MPs to jump ship with you, then immediately abandoning them to lose for the lib dems instead lol

Grown up sensibke politics in action.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

peanut- posted:

Absolutely not, they are still there raging away all day every day.

Earlier today some Lord posted that the changes to the HRA are the worst infringement on human rights in Britain for 1,000 years and rather than bring up say, the expulsion of the Jews, it was just hundreds of FBPE replies going “what about Brexit???”

Oh I'm sure the Twitter idiots brayed but the virulent "Corbyn must resign for causing Brexit" media all turned on a dime to "Brexit happened get over it"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Yeah at least for Northern they are 5k too high for drivers and 3k-ish high for conductors, all other on board staff earn significantly less and with poorer contract conditions. And they are the biggest TOC (in terms of service numbers) outside of TFL.

Also worth noting conductors used to make a nice extra with 5% comission on all on board sales, but eventually someone climbing the greasy pole to Finance Director decided that was too high a price to pay so pledged to make it virtually impossible to board a train without a ticket at most stations, and face severe penalties for doing so when it does happen. Compare that to 2008 when I easily cleared £2000 (a tidy £100!) takings on a monday morning shift. They have been given a deal to get payment per eticket scan but the process is unreliable and a few pence per scan.

They thought 5% was too much? loving hell. I only get a bonus around Christmas time for working so called "Premium Shifts". We get double hourly rate for 24th(night)/25th/26th/31st(night) and 1st and if you work all your allotted premium shifts then you get a £400 per shift. They are good little earners and Network Rail was going to stop it but quite a few of us kicked up a fuss and said we wouldn't work Christmas so they've backed off, so far.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

The whole chuktig thing was very funny in hindsight. Forming your own party, getting other MPs to jump ship with you, then immediately abandoning them to lose for the lib dems instead lol

Grown up sensibke politics in action.

also for their launch day to immediately end up with the penis tone woman talking about people with a "funny tinge" leading CUKTIG to becoming the Tingedependent Group

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Chuka was the British Obama, and a lot of people were pro-Obama back in the day too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Shyrka posted:

Chuka was the British Obama, and a lot of people were pro-Obama back in the day too.

wasn't that Wiki edit traced to the IP of the House of Commons?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

wasn't that Wiki edit traced to the IP of the House of Commons?

I mean it's almost certain he put that on his own page yes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Shyrka posted:

I wonder if any of those people (which is to say him and the one other person who thinks that) could explain how, without referencing his ethnicity, skin melanation, or how the names sound a bit alike.

Obama wasn't the communist marxist the right wanted him to be while in office, and didn't push for near as many things as he could have, but he was at least cool prior to the presidency and used the bully pulpit to nudge the consensus on same sex marriage and cannabis law reform in the courts and states, whereas Chuka did ?????

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m obviously behind, I thought all progressives were uniting behind him?
Not the blueticks who are going to latch on to "Oh dear, from hero to zero for me. It was nice while it lasted."

But they are not progressives so you may still be right.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well I abhor violence and cruelty to animals, I have to admire the tenacity https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1540032690111406080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

It's utterly daft at the remote platforms in scotland and the north where the train pulls up and you're desperately fumbling with the ticket machine trying to make it work when the conductor has a perfectly good ticket machine on the train but they charge you more for using it. Like mate I am getting on with my wallet in hand waiting for you to come by with the machine and the train is two cars long, you don't have to treat me like I'm personally walking out of northern rail's HQ with a big bag of pounds over my shoulder.