Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Warmachine posted:

...none of my complaints about the voice acting have anything to do with accents, but go off I guess? :confused:

I'll complain up and down about the voice direction in 2.0 though. I say it every time: "first-year college student reading a PowerPoint to the class."

Right now what I'm not looking forward to is the exclusivity period for the next FF7 part. I picked up FF7ReM (these acronyms are gonna get dumb if they stick to the ReMAKE ReBIRTH convention) on Steam over the weekend and I've really enjoyed it. It took me some time to warm up to the combat, but I've willingly grinded materia levels and am now taking swings at the bonus boss so something about it must make my lizard brain happy. I also keep thinking to my self, how the gently caress are they going to square the power creep from having a bunch of stored XP, maxed out materia, and maxed out weapons with someone who ran through the story once?

I don't think there's a way that'll satisfy all the interested parties, assuming the save state carries over in the first place (not doing so immediately alienating everyone who put more than the minimum amount of effort to beat the game in lmao).

I think this problem is pretty easily resolved. Just have yuffie steal all the materia like in the original ff7 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CharlestheHammer posted:

Authorial isn’t medieval Authorian legend in that most people are aware of it is pre medieval. During the Saxon invasion to be precise
Most Arthurian legend as we know it comes from the 12th-15th centuries, which puts it squarely in the High Middle Ages.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rythian posted:

What game are you talking about, out of curiosity?

Witcher 3

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rythian posted:

What game are you talking about, out of curiosity?

Geralt, in Witcher 3 (for some godforsaken reason I typed lol in there instead of the game title)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I think games are a medium where dubs do serve a practical function, in modern live action games there's plenty of contexts where it's just not practical to read subs, like combat dialogue or radio chatter where gameplay occurs

They can serve a practical function outside of that too. Due to a head injury, I have transient periods of aphasia that affect my ability to read. It means I basically don't buy any games that aren't dubbed anymore, and struggle with text that I can't control the speed of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I think this problem is pretty easily resolved. Just have yuffie steal all the materia like in the original ff7 :v:

Honestly I think there is roughly a zero percent chance of full carryover save stuff. Not only would it be silly to start with everything maxed out (although I suppose that could be resolved by adding extra levels onto everything. Firaja?), it also undermines their ability to make a balanced game with a fun power progression, let alone make any major system changes they might want. Even the idea of a full carryover save seems to stem from thinking of this as one game split into 3, instead of a full stand-alone game that will have sequels.

Like, I can't think of a single major RPG series with full carryover saves like that. Littles bonuses, sure, but never "all the exam same items at the exact same level".

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Holy hell whomever designed the great crystal in ffxii can gently caress off. No map, sure. Terrible music? Par for the course. Multiple enemies that spit every status effect in the game and team up on you? Knock off.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Geralt, in Witcher 3 (for some godforsaken reason I typed lol in there instead of the game title)

Oh yeah. Doug Cockle is amazing as Geralt.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Clarste posted:

Honestly I think there is roughly a zero percent chance of full carryover save stuff. Not only would it be silly to start with everything maxed out (although I suppose that could be resolved by adding extra levels onto everything. Firaja?), it also undermines their ability to make a balanced game with a fun power progression, let alone make any major system changes they might want. Even the idea of a full carryover save seems to stem from thinking of this as one game split into 3, instead of a full stand-alone game that will have sequels.

Like, I can't think of a single major RPG series with full carryover saves like that. Littles bonuses, sure, but never "all the exam same items at the exact same level".

I can think of exactly one series (I guess two if you count GU as seperate) that did that, the .Hack games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

Yeah I never expected there to be any kind of carryover except maybe a small save import bonus that's like a few items and some starting gil or something, at most. FF7R is a game series, not one game split into three, so I fully expect each one to be a fresh start as far as character progression is concerned. They don't even really need to acknowledge it, though if they do hint that Yuffie stole all your poo poo at the start of Rebirth that would be very funny.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be fair the .//hack games are almost literally 1 game split into 3/4 chunks, especially the first set.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
.hack was absolutely one game arbitrarily split into four to seem bigger though.

Edit: To prevent any confusion, I would love it if Yuffie steals all your stuff as a joke though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 23, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was recently on the island Santorini and our driver/guide said that we were near the city of Fira, which is the capital despite not having near the highest population. It took a lot of effort to not turn to my non-FF playing family and go “If it had more people it would be called Firaga”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Keromaru5 posted:

Most Arthurian legend as we know it comes from the 12th-15th centuries, which puts it squarely in the High Middle Ages.

I’m assuming your talking about the French stuff with a writer stand in but I don’t know if many people actually know about that shot or even care. It certainly isn’t going to effect a whole countries perception

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oddly enough mass effect 2/3 did mostly full level carryovers by doubling the skill and level caps lol

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Golden Sun had full carryover to Golden Sun 2, of course Golden Sun 2 had the first half of the game with a completely different party with you only getting the endgame GS1 stuff when it was at the same power level of the current party.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Dr Pepper posted:

Golden Sun had full carryover to Golden Sun 2, of course Golden Sun 2 had the first half of the game with a completely different party with you only getting the endgame GS1 stuff when it was at the same power level of the current party.

Also they were originally planned as 1 game before space issues, so it makes even more sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Dignity posted:

I think games are a medium where dubs do serve a practical function, in modern live action games there's plenty of contexts where it's just not practical to read subs, like combat dialogue or radio chatter where gameplay occurs

If I can't read fast enough it wasn't important

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If your game has dialogue you're doing it wrong, that's why the best JRPG is the Caveman chapter of Live-A-Live.

I can't wait to hear the "voice acting" for it in the remake next month.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's true. Dialogue generally does nothing but detract from a story

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
The actual best policy with dubs in Japanese games is that if the option exists, pick Spanish, Italian, or Korean, even if you don't understand any of them.

My only bases for this are Sekiro, Breath of the Wild, and Lost Odyssey, but I'm still confident in what I'm saying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
or just watch my Long Plays where I do all the voices myself

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just read all the text aloud yourself, also be sure to record it all and post it here.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Guys I don't know poo poo about streaming but maybe I'll stream my FFXI journey whenever I get to it

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

ManSedan posted:

Holy hell whomever designed the great crystal in ffxii can gently caress off. No map, sure. Terrible music? Par for the course. Multiple enemies that spit every status effect in the game and team up on you? Knock off.

Woah woah woah buddy. The great crystal sucks but the music is fuuuuucking GREAT.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Great Crystal rules.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Great Crystal is dead easy. All you have to is mentally map the relation between all sixty identical rooms, know where the unique treasure is, know where the points-of-no-return are, and remember which switch unlocks which timed-gate, all without a map.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

HD DAD posted:

The Great Crystal rules.

Yep. Great Crystal + The Pharos are the best final dungeons in FF except for maybe Amaurot + Dead Ends and Ultimecia's Castle

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Great Crystal is dead easy. All you have to is mentally map the relation between all sixty identical rooms, know where the unique treasure is, know where the points-of-no-return are, and remember which switch unlocks which timed-gate, all without a map.

hell yeah

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Jesus Christ I am not looking forward to this

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
well if you don't do anything postgame or any optional hunts it's not nearly that bad (because you only use the bits from "To Giruvegan" down to "I")

...but then also you're a coward who will let an immortal dimension-hopping robot comfortably dwell in this ugly rock :black101:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I killed the dimension hopping robot in FFXIV and since he hops dimensions I've decided that's the one in all FF games so Omega is dead already in every FF game for me :colbert:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FrostyPox posted:

Jesus Christ I am not looking forward to this

Just put a map up on your other screen.

XII has some design aspects that were pretty blatantly implemented to sell guides.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ManSedan posted:

Holy hell whomever designed the great crystal in ffxii can gently caress off.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF12 is very good sorry you found out this way.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lmao

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mustached Demon posted:

Just put a map up on your other screen.

XII has some design aspects that were pretty blatantly implemented to sell guides.

It's even better now after multiple versions and remakes, so you can get two or three differing answers depending on the guide you reference.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Rafflesia down, progress being made.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeNA just announced that they're canning the global version of FF Record Keeper after seven years, if anyone here still plays that :rip:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Time to repackage record keeper into a single player game and or use those sprites for something else, right? Right?

Right????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Barudak posted:

Time to repackage record keeper into a single player game and or use those sprites for something else, right? Right?

Right????

All The Bravest 2, let's go!