Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

HootTheOwl posted:

I know, the dude murdered a bunch of kids but people are like "ohhh there was still good in him".

Ha. Good point.

But also is it weird I won both my wins because my opponent flew medium base ship off the board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/x-wing-transmissions/star-wars-x-wing-the-battle-of-yavin

This is really cool

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm trying to figure out this art. Is it trying to portray something shooting out of the front nacelles?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Floppychop posted:

I'm trying to figure out this art. Is it trying to portray something shooting out of the front nacelles?

He's got his high beams on

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I just take issue with Tie Interceptors. THERE WERE NO TIE INTERCEPTORS AT YAVIN DAMMIT.

Seriously, it was Tie Fighters, one x-1, one yt-1300, x-wings and y-wings dammit

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just take issue with Tie Interceptors. THERE WERE NO TIE INTERCEPTORS AT YAVIN DAMMIT.

Seriously, it was Tie Fighters, one x-1, one yt-1300, x-wings and y-wings dammit

It's a huge station, someonewhere on the far-side they were doing fighter development. Which is why it has a shield.
If the empire wins the battle all TIE/INs go into production with shields.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Wilhuff "Evacuate, in our moment of triumph?" Tarkin was supremely overconfident and refused to scramble any fighters, assuming that the turbolasers would handle things. It was only Vader's personal Black Squadron that saw any action, so there could very well have been Interceptors stationed at the Death Star.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rigged cargo is kind of a weird thing to give Yavin scenario Han but ok. Also the coordinate is odd. is he supposed to coordinate Mauler into barrel rolling into darth vader after he kills backstabber?

Interceptors are cool and fun so im fine with it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Well, we know he has the rigged cargo section, that’s where they all hide out. And he does a coordinate action when he tells Luke to blow this thing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

Well, we know he has the rigged cargo section, that’s where they all hide out. And he does a coordinate action when he tells Luke to blow this thing.

excuse me thats Luke using instinctive aim

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

Wilhuff "Evacuate, in our moment of triumph?" Tarkin was supremely overconfident and refused to scramble any fighters, assuming that the turbolasers would handle things. It was only Vader's personal Black Squadron that saw any action, so there could very well have been Interceptors stationed at the Death Star.

Vader's dudes only took off well after the diversionary attacks on the DS equator were well underway.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Madurai posted:

Vader's dudes only took off well after the diversionary attacks on the DS equator were well underway.

The what

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Didn't you know? The deathstar was an inside job. The ship that supposedly shot down Mauler Mithel and Backstabber was seen docking with the station earlier. Oh and it just so happens that Darth Vader's son happens to make an impossible shot that veteran pilot Wedge Antilles said was impossible? And he doesn't just hit it once but twice? Come on, sheeple.

It's all in that documentary: Luke's Change.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Initially, the two X-Wing squadrons attacked the equator area of the station to draw response while the Y-Wings went "north" for the exhaust port. They were already mixing it up with TIEs before Vader decided something was fishy.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

It's all in that documentary: Luke's Change.

Nice.

I don't even know how to build a squad in this game any more...

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

New homebrew coming in hot:
Arc Angel

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Napoleon Nelson posted:

New homebrew coming in hot:
Arc Angel

Jesus that Vader ability

Edit: that loving title

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 18, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SuperKlaus posted:

Nice.

I don't even know how to build a squad in this game any more...

At least the lil plastic ships are cool looking

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
LBN on Android is telling me Supernatural Reflexes costs 24 points. Darth Vader (TIE Adv) has 21 points. Anakin Skywalker (ETA-2) has 20 points. Who can actually use this upgrade? Man, the upgrade icons are all over the place for who has what now too.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Supernatural Reflexes is on the banned list so you cant take it in either Standard or Extended so they prob just never bothered changing the price. If you want to use it in non official home games or w/e price it at whatever you want.

edit Y-wing Anakin for repub and Rebel Luke both had 28 loadout points before this latest points change so technically they could have taken it.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 23, 2022

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh. I guess LBN isn't fully updated, I don't see any marking for what's banned. I'd be playing Extended at home because apparently Standard prohibits several of my favorite models, like TIE Bomber.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The ban list is pretty big atm.
https://www.atomicmassgames.com/xwing-documents

I wouldnt imagine anything on there is gonna be adjusted points wise to be balanced with the current non banned pilots/upgrades so price them at what you feel works best

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Some of the ban choices are just wild to me, like Hull Upgrade or R2 and R5 astromechs.

And Hera can't even fly her own ship, lol.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

Some of the ban choices are just wild to me, like Hull Upgrade or R2 and R5 astromechs.

And Hera can't even fly her own ship, lol.

The banlist does not apply to Extended, btw. Rules Reference, p42:

The Ban List is a list of ships and upgrades that are not legal for standard play.
Ships and upgrades on the Ban List cannot be selected during squad building in standard games

As far as the bans themselves, it's easy to see that the bans fall into a few categories.

Stuff that minimizes the need to plan properly in the Planning Phase
--Anything that lets you peek at dials (Snoke, etc)
--Anything that lets you change dials (Hera pilot, etc)
--Stuff that lets you pre-move reposition (Supernatural Reflexes, etc)

Stuff that interferes with the objective game
--Boba Fett crew
--Resistance Han Solo (Han Yolo)
--Commander Pyre (could potentially be in the bottom category instead)
--Tobias Beckett

Stuff that discourages combat or makes it ineffective as a means of scoring
--Admiral Sloane
--Cheap regen (droids, mostly)
--Cheap health upgrades (hull upgrade)

Stuff that feels great to use and sucks to play against
--Trajectory Simulator
--Sabine crew
--Intimidation (causing a huge pileup is only fun for the person who gains advantage from it)

I find it hard to object to the categories from a conceptual level. There are a few choices that I think push the edges of those categories, but generally speaking, I think the game is healthier without them. Especially the stuff that negates the planning phase. The double-blind nature of the Planning phase is the absolute best part of X-Wing, IMO.

My biggest gripes are Boba Crew and Han Yolo. In the initial objective rules, these could start scoring round 1 and were potentially very powerful. But now you can't just start scoring extra objectives turn 1; I think they should be taken off the list.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
If the ban list doesn't apply to Extended I'd appreciate them paying some attention to that format so I could have a rule set for using Supernatural Reflexes and who knows what other weirdness I just haven't noticed yet. I checked Anakin (YWing) and Luke and they don't have 24 loadout either. I have a bad feeling about this (the loadout system and sensible prices)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SuperKlaus posted:

If the ban list doesn't apply to Extended I'd appreciate them paying some attention to that format so I could have a rule set for using Supernatural Reflexes and who knows what other weirdness I just haven't noticed yet. I checked Anakin (YWing) and Luke and they don't have 24 loadout either. I have a bad feeling about this (the loadout system and sensible prices)

Supernatural is the same price it was when FFG last updated it, just FYI. They priced it into the stratosphere so no one would take it, then gave Preternatural Reflexes as a cheaper, weaker alternative.

Pricing things out of usefulness was their preferred method of dealing with problematic cards.

AMG is willing to actually errata problematic cards, which is IMO much better. Giving an errata to SN and reducing its price would be quite nice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So basically a rogue mod on r/xwingTMG is salty as gently caress about 2.5

Jesus gently caress nerds.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The great Cataschism of 2.5 ABY

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I can only hope that AMG is responding to this threat with all of the seriousness that it deserves

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ROFL

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyways, which mod was it?
..The..

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Rouge One.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Rouge One.

:downsrim:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
e: I think I posted this in a sort of odd daze

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 8, 2022

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It looks like the VT-49 is getting a role in the new Andor series.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Madurai posted:

It looks like the VT-49 is getting a role in the new Andor series.

You mean the thing Skarsgård's character is flying? Seems inspired by the Decimator, but the rear profile doesn't match.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Floppychop posted:

You mean the thing Skarsgård's character is flying? Seems inspired by the Decimator, but the rear profile doesn't match.

That’s what I thought it was at first. Maybe a variant/previous design?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought the VT-49 was post Death Star even in Disney Canon?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I wish, but absolutely not. The profile has these big ol' wings on the side, the nose shape doesn't make any sense, and the cockpit is a weird off-center half-embedded thing on the top of the ship instead of the Decimator's front and center thing (which isn't actually the cockpit, but there's no bridge on the ship either). There's an interior shot of the guy piloting from the weird cockpit as well. And there's even the fact that the guy is walking out a ramp coming from the side of the ship when card art for the VT-49 shows the boarding ramp being centered underneath the ship and towards the rear.

At most it's just another ship that fits into the Millennium Falcon's size class, but also being kinda angular and vaguely sinister.

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought the VT-49 was post Death Star even in Disney Canon?

I don't think that would limit Disney at all if they wanted. They just don't seem to have much interest in the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
I started playing again after a few years and have questions about actions. The rule book has the following: • There is no maximum limit to the number of actions a ship can perform over the course of a round, but a ship cannot perform the same action more than once during a single round, or perform an action it has failed this round.

So each ship can take each action on its card once per round? If so, how do you do damage with all the evades and focus tokens?