Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I literally drove around passing out ice water this afternoon. (last week I got the request to bring those little flavor packet things because folks don't like/get bored w just plain water). So at like $.10-.15 a piece, I said sure.

I can/could do more, and I should.
It's loving hot out.

that’s great but lmao at people unable to drink water without flavorings in it. why are there are so many of them in America! I have to beg housemates to drink more water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

People drink lovely American beer instead of water because at least it tastes like something. Also the alcohol I guess.

Griz
May 21, 2001

my tap water tastes like chlorine and when i went to florida i remember the tap water there smelling like farts

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

that’s great but lmao at people unable to drink water without flavorings in it. why are there are so many of them in America! I have to beg housemates to drink more water

yeah - it's.... very American.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Good news! La Nina is officially over

Bad news! It's likely coming back to make it 3 in a row :negative:

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1539154254778093568

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Can someone summarize what the difference is between El Nino and La Nina and what it means for the PNW? It's been 20+ years since I took a weather and climatology class in school

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

HonorableTB posted:

Can someone summarize what the difference is between El Nino and La Nina and what it means for the PNW? It's been 20+ years since I took a weather and climatology class in school

La Nina: cold and and wet PNW; dry California
El Nino: warm and dry PNW; wet California

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shifty Nipples posted:

People drink lovely American beer instead of water because at least it tastes like something. Also the alcohol I guess.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

https://www.climate.gov/enso

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one is girl and one is boy. ask your parents for the talk

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

when you're in the middle of a humanitarian crisis but suddenly you're wearing wraparounds. a joe satriani riff plays

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Just got a Special Weather Statement on my phone. The PNW’s weird cold weather is finally ending, but now it’s going to get too hot too fast for people to acclimate. Those high temps? 80s and 90s. :shrug:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Bob Socko posted:

Just got a Special Weather Statement on my phone. The PNW’s weird cold weather is finally ending, but now it’s going to get too hot too fast for people to acclimate. Those high temps? 80s and 90s. :shrug:

You should call them pussies and insist they buy AC and run it nonstop. That'll show them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not just the high temps that will get you, living in a place without air conditioning. It’s just as much the lack of relief overnight.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

stealie72 posted:

Its hot out. Everyone's ornery.

ornery is prohibited

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

It’s not just the high temps that will get you, living in a place without air conditioning. It’s just as much the lack of relief overnight.

Yeah, I remember growing up in the PNW, and we were dying the one week per August in the 90's when it would be 70 at night and the upper 80's during the day. Didn't really need an air conditioner back then.

Back then my dad put a big window fan in the kitchen, and for the "hot" months we would open the windows and run that thing all night, the seal up the house in the morning, kept it downright frosty in there all day.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

one is girl and one is boy. ask your parents for the talk

Are.... are they ever going to have a baby?

I really don't want a toddler weather system going around having tantrums all of the place. :(

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
well, sorry to say the hurricane gestational period is ending

speaking of, what letter are we at

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Platystemon posted:

That’s the thing though, there should be reasonable evening temperatures. I’m just surprised, we’re finally hitting normal summer temps (and far more reasonable than the past two summers) and that’s drawing a warning as well.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Bob Socko posted:

That’s the thing though, there should be reasonable evening temperatures. I’m just surprised, we’re finally hitting normal summer temps (and far more reasonable than the past two summers) and that’s drawing a warning as well.

It's not a warning, it's a heads-up.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
And for Seattle, temperatures in the 90s is basically near record level.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

well, sorry to say the hurricane gestational period is ending

speaking of, what letter are we at

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1539941250702483457

This would be Bonnie if it develops

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
that's my evil stepmother's name. :unsmigghh:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

oooh can the next one be named Clyde?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Koirhor posted:

Sorry

Alex, Bonnie, Colin, Danielle, Earl, Fiona, Gaston, Hermine, Ian, Julia, Karl, Lisa, Martin, Nicole, Owen, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tobias, Virginie and Walter.

Based on just the names, I'd say Bonnie, Julia, Owen, and Tobias have real destructive potential. I could see a Hurricane Julia loving flattening a city.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i hope Hurricane Karl knocks over a corporate bank tower in miami

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PostNouveau posted:

Sorry

Alex, Bonnie, Colin, Danielle, Earl, Fiona, Gaston, Hermine, Ian, Julia, Karl, Lisa, Martin, Nicole, Owen, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tobias, Virginie and Walter.

Based on just the names, I'd say Bonnie, Julia, Owen, and Tobias have real destructive potential. I could see a Hurricane Julia loving flattening a city.

Earl, Fiona, Gaston: one of these is going to gently caress poo poo up

Martin is going to cause localized but significant damage.

Richard is going to pull some wacky moves that shock the public.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
not enough kids are named Walter these days imo

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Just give them a couple more years. Breaking bad ended in 2016 right?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Bob Socko posted:

Plants too. Last year I lost the first two plantings of squash and melons - first one to the lingering cold, second to the heat dome. This year I'm prepared. Just got back inside from erecting shade cloth over the beds. Shade cloth is like a tarp only there's holes in it to allow 20% of the sunlight to filter in.

edit: Don't have enough shade cloth to protect the tomatoes. If they go into heat stress I will be rigging an actual tarp over them.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I remember growing up in the PNW, and we were dying the one week per August in the 90's when it would be 70 at night and the upper 80's during the day. Didn't really need an air conditioner back then.

Back then my dad put a big window fan in the kitchen, and for the "hot" months we would open the windows and run that thing all night, the seal up the house in the morning, kept it downright frosty in there all day.

That was me last summer from late June through August - watching the thermometers and running around closing all the windows when Tinside = Toutside. Kept the nights tolerable but definitely not frosty.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

900 millibaridoos??

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Sorry

My names on this list and I don't like it. Can I sue a hurricane?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Otacon posted:

I wonder how many Katrinas there are just saddled with that name for the rest of their lives

You'll probably just have to start going by your middle name if it turns into a hypercane that levels Miami

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Otacon posted:

two of mine are on there. i have a first name for a last name too but luckily i didnt hit the triple play

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i hope Hurricane Karl knocks over a corporate bank tower in miami

:hmmyes:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I was a kid when hurricane Andrew hit and so many Andrews got picked on for it.

I saw a kid get pushed over on the playground and the kid who did it yelled "YOU BROKE OUR TREE" all because he was also Andrew. Lots of Andys and Drews after that.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
lmao owned

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Koirhor posted:

gulf coast decimated following hurricane strikes by Inky and Blinky as Clyde remains offshore

PostNouveau posted:

Sorry

From what I remember of 1998, Bonnie barely qualifies as a nuisance. Weak bitch rear end.

Tristesse posted:

I was a kid when hurricane Andrew hit and so many Andrews got picked on for it.

I saw a kid get pushed over on the playground and the kid who did it yelled "YOU BROKE OUR TREE" all because he was also Andrew. Lots of Andys and Drews after that.

I'm so glad my own name has been retired.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hurricanes should just have numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Hurricane 42069 :coolzone: