Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

th3t00t posted:

"Levying war isn't limited to formally declaring war. It includes any forcible opposition to the execution of a public law. Such "forcible opposition" ordinarily requires actual use of force by multiple people with the common purpose of preventing some law from being enforced. Weapons aren't always required; sheer numbers can be enough.

Merely conspiring to overthrow the government isn't levying war—there must be an actual assemblage of people who are ready and intend to use force. (But see "Related Crimes," below.) So, no person acting alone can be guilty of levying war."

Pretty sure :doink: Jack McCoy :doink: could easily turn what Trump did on 1/6 into a guilty verdict for treason.

Conspiring to overthrow the government and then calling on people to use force to do so is levying war.

Calling on Russia to interfere with the US elections on national television was also treason. Iirc that didn't go anywhere either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bel Shazar posted:

Calling on Russia to interfere with the US elections on national television was also treason. Iirc that didn't go anywhere either.
I think you could more readily expect a free speech defense to discourage anyone from trying to prosecute that particular act, especially if you accept the DOJ's stance not to indict a sitting POTUS. It's not like hey were going to focus on that after he lost.
I don't see any such defense for the Coup.

The poo poo Jeffrey Clark was up to is going to be shocking to some people. This is going to be another good one.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh poo poo are we going to get a list of members of congress trying to get pardons for being dipshits?

edit: Clark sounds like a character straight out of Veep.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 23, 2022

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Herschmann continues to be the best.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Any charge of treason would shatter the government entirely. It doesn't matter if he's guilty, Trump has set up his followers to believe any action against him is vindictive, petty, and false, brought only by people who are guilty of worse crimes and are afraid of what he stands for.

The harder you swing at him, the harder his crowd swings back. Treason would bring civil war.

It's far better just to bar him from taking office, jailing the boots on the ground (they've already dismantled the proud boys and it's pretty hard to start another insurrection without them at the charge), and moving on.

I strongly disagree with this post. There will be no civil war. And if there is, Trump's side would lose badly. People really don't understand that the republican party is a minority party of America that only survives because of voter suppression and gerrymandering. The republican party literally won't allow another state in because they would become unelectable. A single state. Even just DC becoming a state. The alternative of letting him walk away unpunished is 1/6 just becomes practice.

I should remind you that I've toxxed myself with the idea Trump goes unpunished by the DOJ/Georgia and then runs successfully in the next election. (Although I don't think he'll win the presidential election barring some catastrophe).

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 23, 2022

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

""That letter is a murder-suicide pact, it will damage anyone that touches it, and we should have nothing to do with that letter, I don't ever wanna see that letter again "" ~'Pat Cipollone' regarding the letter Trump wanted the DoJ to send out.

"" the trucker that alleged that he had moved a truck full of ballots from New York to Pennsylvania ""
Congratulations to whoever ran for offices in New York, you won in Pennsylvania ???

SniHjen fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 23, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
lol a parade of dumb rear end mother fuckers spreading the big lie

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
"The president as a layman...." I love how people keep dancing around the fact that Donny had no loving idea how government works.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Wasn't there a different Rosen in DOJ? This is not the guy I envisioned. Assistant AG to Barr, maybe?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So can Rosen and Donaghue not fire Jeff Clark on the spot? I cannot loving imagine pulling an end run around my boss and his boss in this manner without getting some sort of consequences. Is Clark's position an appointed one?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Madkal posted:

"The president as a layman...." I love how people keep dancing around the fact that Donny had no loving idea how government works.

LMAO. "The President of the United States of America is just your average joe."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1540059532243648517

lol holy poo poo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao direct evidence he was in league with Republican Congress the entire scheme.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 23, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What is a toxx?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Trump needs to be charged with sedition for the US to survive. I'm convinced this is the only viable path.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This would be the ballgame, if consequences were a thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Charliegrs posted:

What is a toxx?

Short version, you're betting something will or won't happen versus a ban or probation. This used to and sometimes still does involve taking personal actions, either as the thing being committed to or as an alternative to the ban/probation.

Detailed history:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=17

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Orthanc6 posted:

Trump needs to be charged with sedition for the US to survive. I'm convinced this is the only viable path.

It's extremely unlikely to happen. The US doesn't charge former presidents with crimes, rich people, or white men, and Trump is all 3.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Still pretty funny to hear how many people all over the government have an "Acting" title because so many government officials had jumped ship from this shitshow administration by the end.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

It's extremely unlikely to happen. The US doesn't charge former presidents with crimes, rich people, or white men, and Trump is all 3.
This is just too glib and frankly myopic. This situation is unprecedented and you are appealing to precedent.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
"Hi Italy. Were you switching votes in our elections? I mean it might be a bit crazy but....hello....hi....anyone there....?"

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
“You guys may not be following the internet like I do.”

Did I get that right? Fuckin :lol:

edit: Went back a bit, it was “the way” not “like”.

generic one fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 23, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
How much poo poo would these guys need to take before the stop treating the president as if he was someone worthy of respect? It's like trying to talk to a hyperactive tantrum throwing brat as if they are a rational adult.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is just too glib and frankly myopic. This situation is unprecedented and you are appealing to precedent.

Trump has been doing crimes in the open for his entire life. He will never see charges.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jaxyon posted:

Trump has been doing crimes in the open for his entire life. He will never see charges.

wow when has he done something like this before?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jaxyon posted:

Honestly, I have to admit I'm 50/50 on the matter, myself.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Trump was never going to be charged by the DOJ while in office. There is plenty of indication Trump is targeted as the central figure in a Seditious Conspiracy, as evidenced by the fact DOJ has charged Trump's Nazi footsoldiers already.

Your opinion is widely held and that is one thing, but do not appeal to the past and suggest it bears any resemblance to the future we should expect. I am saying that does simply not follow.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Herstory Begins Now posted:

wow when has he done something like this before?

He hasn't. When has he been charged before? Or are you saying he hasn't done crimes before?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I'm well aware of the extreme difficulty, which is why I'm equally serious about this being an existential threat. Whatever has stopped these groups from seeing real consequences must be overcome or the US will cease to be a democracy. There's a good chance that will require a protest movement larger than any seen in the last 20 years, on top of politicians taking unprecedented action to stop this ball from rolling into fascism.

I understand why that might seem far-fetched or impossible, but I'd like to remind anyone thinking this, no movement has ever succeeded by telling people it can't be done. It doesn't matter how unlikely it is, a way needs to be found, and saying it can't be found will only hurt the chances of success.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Did I hear that right

A truck filled with shredded ballots in Georgia intercepted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement

What the gently caress

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Lol I wonder why Gaetz would proactively want a blanket, total pardon

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
gently caress YES

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Lol I wonder why Gaetz would proactively want a blanket, total pardon

Bust his rear end.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Hahaha oh boy, I heard Gaetz, Brooks, Biggs, Perry, and Gohmert...Did I miss any names?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Saving the best for last today and a prefect cliffhanger for hearing six!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lager posted:

Hahaha oh boy, I heard Gaetz, Brooks, Biggs, Perry, and Gohmert...Did I miss any names?

MTJ

Wonder who planted those bombs in the hoodie? :thunk:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lager posted:

lol can't wait to see what they loving did, jesus gently caress.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol can't wait to see what they loving did, jesus gently caress.

To be continued in July.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So glad they actually got to name and call out the republican dipshits looking for pardons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Next set of hearings appears to be about the coup attempt itself and how Trump organized it.

They also said they are getting a "deluge of new evidence" about the organization of it.

Lmao if the Documentary has Trump on tape talking to or referencing Proud Boys directly with regards to a planned attack.