Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Weird moment: if you disconnect while fishing and exit the fishing "event", you can see that the way that it works is by temporarily making a 5 person party, assigning Lumine/Aether to slot 5, and equipping them with a fishing rod as their "weapon". When you're out of the fishing event, you can use the "cast" button to swing the fishing rod around, which uses the NA animation. Unfortunately, there were no enemies around for me to try to whap with the fishing rod, and also I didn't think to try opening the character menu to see the fishing rod's stats (if it had any). I don't think you can open that menu when you're trying to reconnect anyway?

The way they rig this stuff up sure is something :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Mailer posted:

Eh, C6 Sara stapled to carry Raiden is a thing... which yeah makes her the Gorou of the worst element. At least she has a place (albeit limited) which is more than I can say for Xinyan or Thoma. I guess Thoma I can at least squint and think some day his shield will be useful.

Xinyan's shield is already better because it doesn't have any jank to maintain it, apart from hitting 2 enemies with the E. Her burst does a ton of work with C2, applying a total of 9 Pyro units (4 nearly instantly), shielding, and doing a non-trivial amount of damage.

My best use for her is helping clear the Blizzard Strayer domain quickly, with XL/Raiden/Kokomi. The situation is really suited to her niche, with exactly 2 enemies that spawn close to each other, Cryo shields to break, and the Lawachurl that's best fought while shielded.

She's also one of the few effective Millileth users.

Like, she doesn't really excel at anything, but she can get the job done and has a decent amount of utility. Her main problem is how saturated Pyro is with strong units.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Xinyan would be fine as either electro or cryo. Some of her kit leaning toward physical DPS with the rest leaning toward defense/support is just stupid as a pyro unit. It means you have to "waste" two other character slots to proc superconduct to make her damage meaningful, and her "defense" scales poorly enough that it's not worth building for exclusively.

She's just an incredibly poorly designed character in every way. Even her hairstyle looks stupid. And I say this as someone who took her to 90 just because.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I'm a Thoma-user in one of my main parties, but I'm not about to defend him as suddenly super usable or super misunderstood, he just happens to be the best option for what I'm using him for and there isn't really another unit that could replace him :frog:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The real problem with Xinyan is that the game doesn't just ignore whatever sword you give her and have her swing around her lute.

e. For the first part of the mud quest, do you get some sort of bonus if you actually kill all the enemies before time expires? I had a few left before time was up, and I was genuinely surprised to see that the game was cool with that. Well, I assume I had some left, but I didn't actually see the "goals" up on the screen until there was about 10s left, so I'm not entirely sure what it wanted from me.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 23, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Started playing this not too long ago. Any way to get my casters to target the stupid geo cube rather than the pillars its hovering above?

You basically need to kill the pillars to be able to damage that boss.
The only characters who can do decent damage to geo constructs are claymore or geo characters. So Noelle, a geo claymore who you get guaranteed from the newbie banner, is one of the best in the game for it. Her giant range sword attacks during her burst are great in the last phase when you need to break all 3 mini-pillars in time too.

Damage to constructs and shields is entirely based on element and weapon type and ignores all other stats like level/damage/etc so you can pull her out even at level 1 to break the pillars and swap to another character to do damage afterwards. Just uh don't get hit.

Tae posted:

so self-proclaimed Genshin killer [Tower of Fantasy] has an open beta and it is.....pretty bad. Combat is absolutely not a draw, it feels tedious in a bad way, there's about 100x more clicking poo poo because it's an actual MMO and there's like 5 currencies for different gacha banners for some reason.

Exploration also sucks poo poo, you have a double jump but it doesn't really do that much more, and your jetpack lets you leap high but you can only do it twice before having a 2 minute cooldown.

I played a bit of the Chinese beta a while back and I found the combat pretty fun! You can juggle enemies mid air, doublejump and airdash mid combo, all that good stuff, and each weapon has a nice variety of different normal attack strings so you're not just spamming one attack string all the time when your abilities/ultimate are off cooldown. The dodge also feels a lot more like a satisfying action-game dodge than genshin, complete with a witch-time effect for dodging at the last second. (And it doesn't share a stamina bar with your heavy attacks! Praise be!) But some weapons like the hammer and bow felt a lot more one-dimensional.

However the game seems a lot more pay-to-win and gacha hell with the gearing system. It has farmable stuff that's kinda like Genshin artifacts without set bonuses but then it has a separate gear system that looks like little circuit chips, IDK what it's called in English. The SR chips are farmable but the SSR ones with the most powerful set effects are gacha-only, and of course you need to gacha a matching set for 2 or 4 different slots. Kinda like Genshin's 5-star weapons I guess? But a lot more powerful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While throwing a few rolls to try and get Shinobu (who I didn't get, and won't get because I'm not going to risk getting another Itto), I got C6 Goro, which is really nice. 40% crit damage on my Itto who crits with almost every attack is a pretty big deal (though I can't see that buff in Itto's character sheet after using Goro's skills; does it not show up there?).

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I suspect that the weird interaction of it being only +CD for Geo DMG makes it not show up in the general character screen.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

lol i noticed i was at 9/10 pity for on-rateup 4* (i stopped immediately after getting yelan) so said gently caress it and threw one in and got kuki. hell yeah time to shove her into my yae team and see how this goes

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mailer posted:

I suspect that the weird interaction of it being only +CD for Geo DMG makes it not show up in the general character screen.

Sara C6 does the exact same thing. Since it affects damage calculations directly instead of giving you a stat buff, it doesn't show up on the character screen.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
All that defense plus her C6 and shield also makes Xinyan good at killing time if Eula has low hp and Diona's burst is on cooldown.

Plus she buffs physical damage!

She's also a stronger physical DPS than Keqing aside from the team building constraints, and that was a thing people did for a while.

. . . Okay yes she kind of sucks but she fills a very specific niche in my Eula team (Fire! Phys buff! Extra shield if Diona is on the team, only shield if Qiqi is! Not made of glass!) but mostly she has an axe that is also an axe, a drum that makes noise, and she yells "shred til I'm dead" while playing guitar and fire bursts out. :rock:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

serefin99 posted:

Paimon is actually an exotic seafood, thank you very much.

Since when are lavender melons seafood

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Captain France posted:

and she yells "shred til I'm dead" while playing guitar and fire bursts out. :rock:

While I was strictly speaking about competition for group selection in abyss, the fact that she's explicitly rockabilly instead of rock/metal ruined any value she had to me. That was the wrong quest to turn on sound for.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

Xinyan's shield is already better because it doesn't have any jank to maintain it, apart from hitting 2 enemies with the E. Her burst does a ton of work with C2, applying a total of 9 Pyro units (4 nearly instantly), shielding, and doing a non-trivial amount of damage.

My best use for her is helping clear the Blizzard Strayer domain quickly, with XL/Raiden/Kokomi. The situation is really suited to her niche, with exactly 2 enemies that spawn close to each other, Cryo shields to break, and the Lawachurl that's best fought while shielded.

She's also one of the few effective Millileth users.

Like, she doesn't really excel at anything, but she can get the job done and has a decent amount of utility. Her main problem is how saturated Pyro is with strong units.
How do you have her built? I have her 2 piece Pale Flame and 2 piece Bloodstained Chivalry based on the guide. She has +60% def from substats, but her shield goes down in a single strike from pretty much any boss. Hitting two enemies isn't a thing when most bosses are concerned.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Some of this game is a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be lol. Like, the timing on dodging all the missiles on the ruin guard is incredibly tight

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Unfortunately no, the trick is having:
- Claymore user to smash through the pillars fast
- Someone who deals elemental (but not Geo!!!) damage to blow up the pillars when it does its split-phase thing (this can also work with the regular hover-y phase but you want your hardest hitting stuff ready for the time limited bit)

The real trick is "having zhongli" because his skill can instantly delete 2 of the final 3 pillars (or maybe all of them but I haven't placed it right to manage it)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Some of this game is a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be lol. Like, the timing on dodging all the missiles on the ruin guard is incredibly tight

They sometimes home in on you and sometimes they don't. I'm not sure what causes that.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
In my experience it's distance, generally. If you're too close, the missiles track you perfectly and you'll get dunked. After a second or two of travel time, they stop tracking entirely and you can dodge em easy.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Fine opportunity to shoot it in the eye, though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I guess that makes sense, yeah. I wonder what the distance is, might do some testing the next time I play.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Steelion posted:

In my experience it's distance, generally. If you're too close, the missiles track you perfectly and you'll get dunked. After a second or two of travel time, they stop tracking entirely and you can dodge em easy.

Yeah run away as soon as it starts then dodge to the side last second

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh man, I saw some recommendation that you should just dodge towards them but it hasn't really been working. I'll try your method a shot instead

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Bakalakadaka posted:

The real trick is "having zhongli" because his skill can instantly delete 2 of the final 3 pillars (or maybe all of them but I haven't placed it right to manage it)

His skill deletes two of them specifically because of the part of it that absorbs geo energy from enemy constructs, which is limited to affecting two at a time. He does do an AoE geo damage pulse as well, which will damage the last pillar a bit.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh man, I saw some recommendation that you should just dodge towards them but it hasn't really been working. I'll try your method a shot instead

The amount the missiles hone depends on their time spent airborne. After 2.5 seconds or so they don't hone at all. When you encounter specters, they kinda operate on the same principal. Use some distance and dash perpendicularly to where they're coming from. Much less reliable if you're in melee range, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bakalakadaka posted:

If you don't happen to catch the Zhongli banners to get him, the other option is using Razor. His burst lets him shatter them in one combo each. Specifically the ones at the end, not the first five.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've discovered the best way to fight the ruin serpent is to ignore all of its gimmicks and just do as much damage as fast as you possibly can with Hu Tao. Dies in two skill uses.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I've discovered the best way to fight the ruin serpent is to ignore all of its gimmicks and just do as much damage as fast as you possibly can with Hu Tao. Dies in two skill uses.

:same:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I don't know if it's just because I'm bad at video games or what, but the amount of time the ruin serpent is paralyzed after destroying a goo lump does not seem worth the hassle.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Everett False posted:

I don't know if it's just because I'm bad at video games or what, but the amount of time the ruin serpent is paralyzed after destroying a goo lump does not seem worth the hassle.
It definitely feels like, 2 seconds too short for feeling "good" especially if you spend a chunk of it in 5* burst cutscene animation locks (but maybe it's my fault for rotating Bennet Q > Kaz Q > Ayato Q, E when the serpent falls over).

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

It definitely feels like, 2 seconds too short for feeling "good" especially if you spend a chunk of it in 5* burst cutscene animation locks (but maybe it's my fault for rotating Bennet Q > Kaz Q > Ayato Q, E when the serpent falls over).

Just have to set it up right, if you stand by the two crystals you can break with one Gadget use the Serpent will come out of the ground pretty close to you so you can drop a bunch of those while it gets in position and just start the actual damage when you Stun it.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm not really sure how the ruin serpent works just that he teleports around and is annoying if you let him. As others have said, you can take off over half his health before it even burrows with Hu Tao + XQ (might need Sayu to close the gap before he burrows.)

Ruin serpent isn't hard or anything so you won't need any particular team to clear him. Use whatever works best, try something that doesn't require multiple bursts in the same window. He's a lot less troublesome than something like thunder manifestation or the wolflord.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I'm not really sure how the ruin serpent works just that he teleports around and is annoying if you let him. As others have said, you can take off over half his health before it even burrows with Hu Tao + XQ (might need Sayu to close the gap before he burrows.)

Ruin serpent isn't hard or anything so you won't need any particular team to clear him. Use whatever works best, try something that doesn't require multiple bursts in the same window. He's a lot less troublesome than something like thunder manifestation or the wolflord.

You dodge around break the light crystal until it tries to absorb the mud blobs and then you break them and wail on it till it gets back up. That's what I did in my preemptive Yelan, Kuki and Heizou farming at least.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

You dodge around break the light crystal until it tries to absorb the mud blobs and then you break them and wail on it till it gets back up. That's what I did in my preemptive Yelan, Kuki and Heizou farming at least.

Well, that's the intended way. The realistic way is to hutao it half to death, then wait around for entirely too long for it to reappear so you can actually kill it.

What's with mihoyo and bosses that make you wait around doing nothing?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Zenostein posted:

Well, that's the intended way. The realistic way is to hutao it half to death, then wait around for entirely too long for it to reappear so you can actually kill it.

What's with mihoyo and bosses that make you wait around doing nothing?

genshin is a game designed around excessively wasting your time

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they want you to interact with the boss gimmick rather than just instantly blow it up

I'd rather blow it up, personally

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Childe has amazing music that no ine knows about because his 1st phase is too squishy

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Bakalakadaka posted:

genshin is a game designed around excessively wasting your time

Sure, but like the PMA wastes plenty of time, but you're still hitting something. It isn't underground or zipping around as some ice ghost or whatever the hell.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Childe has amazing music that no ine knows about because his 1st phase is too squishy

Wolf second phase is pretty good, too. Most people don't make it past the opening chimes.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tae posted:

Tartaglia (Unreal), when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

so ive seen some rumblings that apparently kuki can be made into a carry if you either go really hard into her EM or go phys with pale flame and a sword like AF

incredibly funny if thats true